Thread: New Wiki Look & skin?

New Wiki Look & skin?

It's a long story and I won't bore you with it In full. So short version...

After conversation with Blader it was suggested that maybe Wiki could get skin overhaul.

After seeing Hairy's new front end webpage did a mock up entirely based on his look and feel.

So this is nicked from him, completely!

This is mock up of new skin for wiki, just done in photoshop. Everything remains content and layout wise the same, just a new look?

Comments? (But only positive!!!)

Have I missed anything you would expect to see on the homepage??? Even though didn't put any homepage detail in....

Cheers

#Steeb

A new (improved look) is always nice but is there something we can use off the shelf for the wiki skin. I don't think any of us here has experience of making pmwiki skins (or would want to?).
    My Projects
    Programs Plugin (retired) | Volume OSD Plugin (retired) | Documentation Wiki (retired)

I'm hoping to get the web page idea finalized next week, with maybe one last kick of the tires by the folks on here.

After that I'd be up for helping out with this. I'm sure we could modify one of the many PmWiki skins here: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Skins, perhaps change the layout to a more centralized look like this: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blix (?).

Either way once I get the web page set, I'm up for having a go with the wiki, maybe launch them both with v1.5 (?)
    The Hairy Man

HTPC: Core Duo E4300 - 2GB DDR2 - HD 3650 - 500GB storage
    Capture: 1 Nova-T 500 - 1 PVR 500
    TV: S-Video to 32" Philips CRT

Support the Community Skin

Hi McBain.

A new (improved look) is always nice but is there something we can use off the shelf for the wiki skin.
    Yes and no! I think gemini skins are pretty much open, most other good looking skins seem to be locked in copyright.

I don't think any of us here has experience of making pmwiki skins (or would want to?).
    I don't know about others but I certainly have NO experience of doing a pmwiki skin. BUT there's always a 1st time? Am only following blader's talk/suggestion. And I sort of want to Just to see if I can!

Cheers

Steeb

@ Hairy

I'm sure we could modify one of the many PmWiki skins here:
    Well I did look into modding a skin but was unsure of copyright issues??? How much code can you nick

perhaps change the layout to a more centralized look like this:
    I was just wary about this as GBPVR and the Wiki has been around for a while now and didn't want to change layout too much. i.e. people used to left nav bar etc. But maybe it can change?

Either way once I get the web page set, I'm up for having a go with the wiki, maybe launch them both with v1.5 (?)
    Well I was thinking the same, but along the lines of wiki has similar feel to your webpage, not that I'm one for conformity.....?

Steeb

Quote Originally Posted by steeb View Post

This is mock up of new skin for wiki, just done in photoshop. Everything remains content and layout wise the same, just a new look?

I perfer this skin... it makes the wiki look better IMHO
    Regards Systemshark

Lounge: HDPC Intel i5, Asus Motherboard with Intel HDMI, 4Gb of Ram, 1Tb Disk, 60Gb SSD, Blackgold BT3595 Tuner, Hauppauge Nova T500 and HVR1700 in a LianLi C39 B Case.

Other Room : Liteon Wireless Media Centre/DVD Player

Software : Windows7 32 Bit, RedRat, XMLTV GUI and NPVR