Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern web TV stream

Modern web TV stream

I am having trouble keeping the live TV stream going for more than a few minutes using the modern web interface. It starts fine but after a while it just stops and I get a black screen with an error message "A network error caused the media download to fall part-way". I am using Chrome web browser.

A browser refresh makes it start again. Attached is a screen grab and NPVR logs.
    Name:  streamtv.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  12.0 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by VCR58; 2016-08-07 at 08:20 PM.

I switched to the 'Classic' setting which uses the VLC browser plug-in and it works fine. But you have to use Firefox which still supports API plugins. Chrome will not work with the NPVR Classic browser. Another option is to use Emby with the NextPVR plugin. This is the setup I currently use for watching TV in a Chrome web browser or on my Android phone.

Get the stream to work finally :-) Tried a clean NPVR 3.7.7 install.

Well, it is still giving me the error and not recovering the stream. I give up...

Do you have IE or Edge on the machine? It'd be intersting to hear if that makes any difference.

I have Edge so I tried that and after 30 seconds or so the picture froze. I waited a minute to see if it would buffer and start again bit it did not. I did not get the error message screen this time and when I got out of full screen mode at the bottom on the window the browser said "playing". I have also seen this when streaming from my Android phone (Nexus 5x which also uses Chrome) and with Firefox so it does not seem to be browser related.

I thought that it might be my wireless network was the problem but I started a stream on a PC on the wired gigabit LAN. It was working ok for a while but when I checked it again it had failed the same way.
    Last edited by VCR58; 2016-08-12 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VCR58 View Post
    I have Edge so I tried that and after 30 seconds or so the picture froze. I waited a minute to see if it would buffer and start again bit it did not.
    How was your machine CPU usage at the time?

On the server with NPVR running the CPU was running about 30-40% when it crashed the first time at 720p 2mb setting. I started the stream again and then bumped the quality setting to 1920p 15mb (max) and then the CPU was averaging about 75% with spikes close to 100% It has been running like this for about 30 minutes so far without stopping. Here is a screen grab.
    Name:  CPUNPVR_Edge.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  20.6 KB
    Last edited by VCR58; 2016-08-13 at 02:20 AM.

We'd probably need to see the transcode log from c:\users\public\npvr\web\temp when the stream stops, to see if there were any ffmpeg errors.