PDA

View Full Version : Emulation mode testing Round II

mvallevand
2007-03-12, 04:08 PM
With the recent threads on the main MVP board I see many users are experiencing problems with 99.12 that I am not seeing with emulation mode, but I am still reluctant to have them try mvpmc until I know that some users are actually using it as their primary dongle with GBPVR and I don't think that applies yet but I want to make it happen. Let me know if and when some of you decided to adopt it.

On Saturday I updated the mvpmc source base with the changes that you have identified too date and I really have appreciated the feedback so far. I will update the alpha tonight to fix a few things that I broke, and I also hope to clean up the slight delay on startup, (not the 20 second problem which I can't duplicate) and I still want to tackle the biggest problems.

If you are sending in trouble reports, I would like to know a few more details to help me out. I'd like to alway get your gbpvr logs (and mvpmc logs if you can, but this is optional for now) and I'd really like to know more about the file that you are trying to play if there is remote key malfunction, the file type being mp3, mpeg-1 or 2, YouTube, Live TV, transcoded video source (ie xvid, divx, avi, h264) and whether the file is mpeg-ts (if you know). I will assume you have a fast > 2400 Mhz server, if not also let me know.

I am also going to make the alpha dongle more gbpvr specific, by eliminating the mythtv and replay tv defaults, to eliminate as many variables as possible. Later this week I will make the mpvmc debug logs available in the browser interface to help those having the understandable difficulties with telnet and file shares.

Thanks again for all your help

Martin

Lindsay
2007-03-13, 06:50 AM
Martin, I have just given your latest alpha a test on my Vista, AMD X2 3800+ machine with wired D3 MVP.

Since previous testing I think your program has come a long way. Without video inset activated, it seemed stable and reasonably responsive but with one exception. Unlike the Hauppauge dongles, yours cannot handle the mpg's produced by ProShow Gold. These are DVD quality and the log says the bitrate is 18,749. All other mpg's, and LiveTV, are fine.

The Music playback can now handle selecting another track while playing a previous track (switch tracks).

So, mostly very positive but I don't know how you can increase the effective bandwidth.

Now, with Video Inset turned on, it is another story. Signs of strain become apparent resulting in dumping back to Emulation mode and black no vid or aud on video playback. But theses strains are also apparent for the other dongle. I just can't contemplate using video inset mode. I don't know whether this is just my system doing this or not.

Keep up the good work - it is superb to have a dongle writer who is keen to get it right within living memory! (Why is it that the only responsive skilled work is done by one-man bands??).

I can help with testing on both XP and Vista if that is helpful.

(PS Chuck another 't' in the word 'attempt' in the server connect message!).

Lindsay.

sub
2007-03-13, 06:53 AM
Keep up the good work - it is superb to have a dongle writer who is keen to get it right within living memory! (Why is it that the only responsive skilled work is done by one-man bands??). More people = more meetings, eventually leading to backwards progress :D ...at least thats my experience from many years in the corporate rat race.

Lindsay
2007-03-13, 08:38 AM
Know what you mean! But even taking that into account, it is still amazing to me how downright unresponsive and unproductive big companies are.

Anyway, I know who the good guys are:)

mvallevand
2007-03-13, 08:55 AM
Since previous testing I think your program has come a long way. Without video inset activated, it seemed stable and reasonably responsive but with one exception. Unlike the Hauppauge dongles, yours cannot handle the mpg's produced by ProShow Gold. These are DVD quality and the log says the bitrate is 18,749. All other mpg's, and LiveTV, are fine.
Is it possible that this file has multiple audio tracks and the first one is AC3? mvpmc has the capability of selecting audio tracks that I haven't enabled in emulation mode yet. I could give you some simple steps to test this out if you'd like.

So, mostly very positive but I don't know how you can increase the effective bandwidth.

mvpmc should be able to get up to 13Mbs a second, which is higher then DVD quality.

Now, with Video Inset turned on, it is another story. Signs of strain become apparent resulting in dumping back to Emulation mode and black no vid or aud on video playback. But theses strains are also apparent for the other dongle. I just can't contemplate using video inset mode. I don't know whether this is just my system doing this or not.

Did you use the nightly or my alpha dongle from the 12th? I fixed an inset video bug last night.

Keep up the good work - it is superb to have a dongle writer who is keen to get it right within living memory! (Why is it that the only responsive skilled work is done by one-man bands??).

I can't take all the credit for mvpmc it is a team effort, but there is a lot of room for creativity.

I can help with testing on both XP and Vista if that is helpful.

The more feedback the better.

Thanks a lot,

Martin

mvallevand
2007-03-13, 09:01 AM
(PS Chuck another 't' in the word 'attempt' in the server connect message!).

I thought I'd share the source to this

snprintf(buffer,sizeof(buffer),"Atempt ( %d / 10) ",attempts);

I never can get that gui component right!

Martin

Lindsay
2007-03-13, 10:39 PM
Yep, that would do it!! But, hey, with a lot of eyes on it we can do the checking:)

Lindsay.

PS I used the alpha version. I'll try the nightly and report back. I guess it is possible that the Proshow Gold output has AC3. I am willing to try to diagnose this.

mvallevand
2007-03-13, 11:00 PM
Yep, that would do it!! But, hey, with a lot of eyes on it we can do the checking:)

Lindsay.

PS I used the alpha version. I'll try the nightly and report back. I guess it is possible that the Proshow Gold output has AC3. I am willing to try to diagnose this.

The alpha dated the 12th is better, so no need to bother. If you could look at your mpeg with MediaInfo or GSpot it should tell you about the various streams. I do have some logic ready if you have MP2 and AC3 audio in the same file.

Note that tonight's (0314) dongle should try and find an MPEG stream it is in the file.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-03-14, 03:20 AM
Martin, I have now tested the latest nightly and the problem with my ProShow mpg's has disappeared! I looked at the mpg with GSpot and the audio is mpeg1-Layer 2 stereo so nothing fancy there. This version, with no video inset, looks really good to me.

With video inset true I get all sorts of problems, still.
-The 'Next Recording' notification message overwrites the inset video.
- Played music then pressed Menu. Music was stop and go after that.
- Image in bottom left window doesn't fit window.
- Got an error "Object in use elsewhere" when choosing another video.
After that all turned to custard with video stopping etc resulting in a restart.

Is it normal for the dongle to take 1min 12sec to load?

Cheers,
Lindsay.

mvallevand
2007-03-14, 03:35 AM
Martin, I have now tested the latest nightly and the problem with my ProShow mpg's has disappeared! I looked at the mpg with GSpot and the audio is mpeg1-Layer 2 stereo so nothing fancy there. This version, with no video inset, looks really good to me.

Just to avoid confusion the nightly is the mvpmc term for the automatic build made nightly from all the developer's code. I do an alpha build as I feel like it, and then I build code to the nightly when I feel the alpha is better then the mvpmc build. Which do you mean?

With video inset true I get all sorts of problems, still.
-The 'Next Recording' notification message overwrites the inset video.
- Played music then pressed Menu. Music was stop and go after that.
- Image in bottom left window doesn't fit window.
- Got an error "Object in use elsewhere" when choosing another video.
After that all turned to custard with video stopping etc resulting in a restart.

The Next Recording problems sounds like the nightly, and not the alpha.

I tried what you did the only odd thing was that if I selected audio, the inset video windows stayed with the nice green no video window but the audio played. Afterwards the next video started in the tiny window. Trying to play a video while a video is playing does crash mvpmc. I will have to see what Hauppauge does here. I now I had some problems downloading a YouTube video while playing in inset mode and this might be related.

Is it normal for the dongle to take 1min 12sec to load?

A couple of your errors sound like you haven't stored some of your setting into flash using one of the later versions of the Hauppauge software. I can load a dongle in 15/20 seconds via tftp or the windows share.

Also, is it possible you have turned your router to half- duplex because of Hauppauge problems. mvpmc prefers full duplex.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-03-14, 04:58 AM
A couple of your errors sound like you haven't stored some of your setting into flash using one of the later versions of the Hauppauge software.

Martin,

Presumably this means not only loading the latest Hauppauge dongle but also the Hauppauge software so that you can access the config screen, change the defaults and save it to flash?

Thereafter uninstall the Hauppauge s/w, load the mvpmc dongle and the settings from the Hauppauge dongle remain saved?

k.

mvallevand
2007-03-14, 05:18 AM
Martin,

Presumably this means not only loading the latest Hauppauge dongle but also the Hauppauge software so that you can acess the config screen, change the defaults and save it to flash?

Thereafter uninstall the Hauppauge s/w, load the mvpmc dongle and the settings from the Hauppauge dongle remain saved?

k.
Yes good catch. It's a really good idea to make sure all your configuration options are correctly stored using one of the 3.2 or 3.3 Hauppauge servers. Emulation starts after mvpmc is running and so the settings from your config.xml file come too late. Command line options can override the flash/nvram setting but I consider that advance configuration

There are other thing stored outside the config screen too, like the preferred server which is important in speeding up the boot.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-03-14, 05:25 AM
Well all I can say to that is goody goody gumdrops ... and ...
I suggest you add this to your sticky, because it is a VERY VERY important part of the process.... :-) "Not to be missed"

k.

Lindsay
2007-03-14, 10:30 AM
Yes, I was confused re the differences between the nightly and alpha. I have re-tested with the current alpha. I also selected the server in the config and that made a huge difference to the load time. My computer NIC is set to autonegotiate.

With inset false, everything I tried seemed to go fine. Looks good.

With inset true, it looks to be improved. My findings, in order of selection, are as follows:-
- LiveTV - OK.
- Menu - OK.
- PhotoLib - OK, but vid doesn't fit sm window still.
- Select photo - vid of TV still plays in sm window.
- Menu - TV in big window.
- VideoLib - OK TV sm window.
- Select a video - plays OK but is in small window!
- Menu - vid in big window and getting stuttery.
- LiveTV -can hear sound, no video seen, then video appeared in big window with menu cleared.
- Menu - TV now goes full screen!
- Menu - OK TV in big window.
- VideoLib - OK TV in sm win.
- Select a video - plays in sm win.
- Menu - video in sm win and gets stuttery then video restarts at beginning and plays fine in sm win.

That's enough to go on with!!

Cheers,
Lindsay.

tkgafs
2007-03-14, 08:44 PM
Also, is it possible you have turned your router to half- duplex because of Hauppauge problems. mvpmc prefers full duplex.

Martin

Thats good to know, I am still having problems with unexplained disconnects when playing music

I normally get about 2.5 hours before it gives up, I have been experimenting with tcp/ip params in registry and found the best settings for me seem to be as follows

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]

"KeepAliveTime"=dword:000dbba0
"KeepAliveInterval"=dword:000001f4
"TcpMaxDataRetransmissions"=dword:0000000a

with these settings I seem to get about 6 -> 8 hours before the disconnect which is starting to approach the stability of the hauppauge dongle-3_3.24265b.bin.

I'll lock the nic to full-duplex and see what effect that has

Tkgafs

I

petewxm
2007-03-14, 09:52 PM
Hi Martin,
I`ve been using the new alpha dongle all night, and it seems to be working great, there are a couple of things I`ve come across but you probably already knows these but just incase you don`t

1. Volume on the remote doesn`t work when watching live tv or video
2. When you press "go" during live TV it normally brings up a mini TV guide, this doesn`t work
3. Pressing a number on the remote during live TV, this normally changes the channel this doesn`t work.
4.The remote is not as responsive as the orignal dongle.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Pete:D

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 12:18 AM
Well all I can say to that is goody goody gumdrops ... and ...
I suggest you add this to your sticky, because it is a VERY VERY important part of the process.... :-) "Not to be missed"

k.

Agreed, I will also add a warning when the differences indicate that the flash setting need to be update, typically for PAL and 16:9 users.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 12:23 AM
I normally get about 2.5 hours before it gives up, I have been experimenting with tcp/ip params in registry and found the best settings for me seem to be as follows

I'll lock the nic to full-duplex and see what effect that has

I'm glad you are getting the same results for the KeepAlive, it show me I'm on the right track in looking at Windows solution.

Out of curiousity what is your dhcp lease time? If is is 12hr there could be a problem. Mine is 24hr and I get 12 hours before the disconnect. This is still gbpvr related because other sockets can stay open for days.

Martin.

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 12:27 AM
That's enough to go on with!!

Sure is I will do some PAL testing. Note that the actually screen cutouts come from gbpvr, and the inset video size is hardware determined, but I might be position the video incorrectly.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 12:35 AM
Hi Martin,
I`ve been using the new alpha dongle all night, and it seems to be working great, there are a couple of things I`ve come across but you probably already knows these but just incase you don`t

Don't assume anything, if you haven't seen it here, I probably don't know

1. Volume on the remote doesn`t work when watching live tv or video

This is strange, it does start at maximum volume, but it should go down.

2. When you press "go" during live TV it normally brings up a mini TV guide, this doesn`t work

The Go key has special meaning, you should hit Go the Go again. I'll confirm though, I've never seen this menu

3. Pressing a number on the remote during live TV, this normally changes the channel this doesn`t work.
4.The remote is not as responsive as the orignal dongle.

This works for me but the problem might be the same. What bitrate do you use for live tv?

Martin

bofh
2007-03-15, 02:02 AM
Just tried your latest dongle on my AMD X2 4600 with a H2 MediaMVP.

So far so good, all the issues I reported with the earlier dongles seemed to be resolved (or not showing as often). I will leave this as my default dongle and see if I can get you some good feedback.

The responsiveness of the remote seems to be slightly (although noticeable) slower than the Hauppauge dongle. Hitting a key on the remote, I'm seeing about 1/2 second of delay before the key takes effect.

Things I tried briefly:
- Live TV
- Changing channels
- Bringing up the mini-guide and browsing (the responsiveness is very slow). All the keys seemed to be queued up and all get played.
- Pause, ff, rew, stop

- Recordings
- With subtitle viewer, toggle on/off, ff, rew, pause. The only thing here is that during the ff or rew, an darkened overlay is shown over the picture (because of the subtitles).
- volume, mini-guide

- Video Library
- DIVX transcoded to MPEG2
- MPEG2 files

- Picture Library
- looks good

- FM Radio
- works as expected

- Music Library
- works as expected

- Weather plugin

I'll leave this as my default dongle and give it a while to see as it is used for longer periods and report back.

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 02:47 AM
Just tried your latest dongle on my AMD X2 4600 with a H2 MediaMVP.

So far so good, all the issues I reported with the earlier dongles seemed to be resolved (or not showing as often). I will leave this as my default dongle and see if I can get you some good feedback.
I will be most interesting in any problems that force you off the dongle, these are what I'd like to prioritize.

The responsiveness of the remote seems to be slightly (although noticeable) slower than the Hauppauge dongle. Hitting a key on the remote, I'm seeing about 1/2 second of delay before the key takes effect.

Some things will be slower by the nature of emulation mode, especially file navigation. Some things I can improve, some things I want to leave alone to allow me to run on other hardware and some could be improved by sub with some optimizations to gbpvr if there was a critical mass of users.

- Bringing up the mini-guide and browsing (the responsiveness is very slow). All the keys seemed to be queued up and all get played.

Sounds like this is something I really need to look into.

- With subtitle viewer, toggle on/off, ff, rew, pause. The only thing here is that during the ff or rew, an darkened overlay is shown over the picture (because of the subtitles).
Unfortunately I don't have subtitled files to test. For the shading I respond to commands from gbpvr but there is a good chance I don't understand when to turn it off when I don't get the command to unshade.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 03:45 AM

There is definitely something wrong with how I handle the mini guide. It looks like it will be cool though

It does come up with Go Go as I suggested.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-03-15, 01:57 PM
I'm glad you are getting the same results for the KeepAlive, it show me I'm on the right track in looking at Windows solution.

Out of curiousity what is your dhcp lease time? If is is 12hr there could be a problem. Mine is 24hr and I get 12 hours before the disconnect. This is still gbpvr related because other sockets can stay open for days.

Martin.

My dchp lease is handed out by XP as I am using a crossover cable and internet connection sharing, do you know where I can find out what the lease time is ?

I tried running "netsh diag gui" which is the xp network diagnostic tool in the hope that it might tell me and as soon as it started scanning the network mvpmc reloaded itself !!

Tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-03-15, 04:16 PM
My dchp lease is handed out by XP as I am using a crossover cable and internet connection sharing, do you know where I can find out what the lease time is ?

I tried running "netsh diag gui" which is the xp network diagnostic tool in the hope that it might tell me and as soon as it started scanning the network mvpmc reloaded itself !!

Tkgafs

Interesting, my bet there is a conflict with the mvpmc web server, but I like knowing how to crash mvpmc and see if I can fix this.

As for the lease time, sorry I can't help, but there likely is a why to configure lease time or lease duration in the dhcp server itself.

Martin

bofh
2007-03-16, 08:12 PM
I will be most interesting in any problems that force you off the dongle, these are what I'd like to prioritize.

The latest dongle failed the wife test :) so I've reverted back to the Hauppauge dongle. As I wasn't there when it happened, I'm only reporting what I got from my wife.

Keys failed to work while watching a recording. Hitting the yellow button on the remote to turn off the subtitles failed. Any key after that was swallowed up.

I tried it myself the previous night and this feature did work. It looks like the swallowing of the keys is random.

LiveTV was tried and after 10 minutes, hitting the pause button caused a reboot.

mvallevand
2007-03-16, 10:47 PM
The latest dongle failed the wife test :) so I've reverted back to the Hauppauge dongle. As I wasn't there when it happened, I'm only reporting what I got from my wife. Thanks may next round!

Keys failed to work while watching a recording. Hitting the yellow button on the remote to turn off the subtitles failed. Any key after that was swallowed up. This is going to be a problem for me since I don't have any sub-titled files. If anyone can provide with a small 50mb sample that would be great.

I tried it myself the previous night and this feature did work. It looks like the swallowing of the keys is random.
I don't think it is random, I still don't get back exactly the same thing from GBPVR as I expect in some situations.
LiveTV was tried and after 10 minutes, hitting the pause button caused a reboot.[/QUOTE]
Anything that turns on the graphic on top of the TV has some potential impact, which I have not yet completely ironed out.

Martin

petewxm
2007-03-17, 09:33 AM
Hi Martin,

I`ve been using the Alpha dongle for a few days now and its only crashed twice, I think its great!

The only problem I have found is that the volume still doesn`t work but it must be something with my setup if it works for everyone else.

I will keep using the updated alpha dongles as they same to be stable enough to use everyday, and let you know if anything strange happens.

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-03-17, 02:52 PM
Hi Martin,

I`ve been using the Alpha dongle for a few days now and its only crashed twice, I think its great!

The only problem I have found is that the volume still doesn`t work but it must be something with my setup if it works for everyone else.

I will keep using the updated alpha dongles as they same to be stable enough to use everyday, and let you know if anything strange happens.

Thanks

Pete

Thanks and there is a stupid bug in the volume code which I will fix tonight.

Martin

petewxm
2007-03-29, 10:26 PM
Hi Martin,

I`ve noticed lately with the alpha dongle that its not as stable as it was in previous releases, it quite often now loses the connection and goes back to the MVPMC menu.
I`ve had to start using the dongle that comes with GBPVR again, No wide screen :(

Hopefully you can get this sorted, Keep up the good work

PS I`m using a wired MVP

Pete:)

mvallevand
2007-03-29, 11:14 PM
Hi Martin,

I`ve noticed lately with the alpha dongle that its not as stable as it was in previous releases, it quite often now loses the connection and goes back to the MVPMC menu.
I`ve had to start using the dongle that comes with GBPVR again, No wide screen :(

Hopefully you can get this sorted, Keep up the good work

PS I`m using a wired MVP

Sadly, I'm not getting any feedback (logs etc) that I need to fix anything related to the video stability and because this is a non-documented protocol its sort of chicken/egg scenario. I can't make emulation mode more stable without feedback and most people can't use it to provide feedback because it not stable. I'm not complaining, I do this a hobby and I know must people want appliance quality but I can't possibly do this all on my own.

As an example the stutter mode I added wasn't supposed to stay enabled but I haven't turned it off because I wanted feedback on how the OSD mini-guide etc worked. No success. This is very likely one of the biggest factors on stability, I just don't know.

I'm also looking forward to sub getting his dev. environment working again so he can tell me how to tell gbpvr to stop sending continuous alpha updates on video when they start.

I also need more video samples, sub-titled files, dvb captures etc to help with testing, but again zero. This will be difficult people don't easily have the means to transfer 50-100MB files, but probably it is one of the most important needs I have.

I hope you try out the alpha from time-to-time.

Martin

sub
2007-03-30, 02:51 AM
I'm also looking forward to sub getting his dev. environment working again so he can tell me how to tell gbpvr to stop sending continuous alpha updates on video when they start.My development environment is pretty much all go now. What were all the details of the question?

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 03:19 AM
My development environment is pretty much all go now. What were all the details of the question?

Thanks sub, its in this thread.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=184735&postcount=1

Basically while video is playing and any alpha OSD rfb encoding (type 8) info is presented, gbpvr sends mvpmc a steady stream of screen updates rather then the once a second updates that dongle.bin sees. Because so much work is being done the remote and screen updates lag.

What I need to know is is there anything I can do to control this flow or ack these updates in order to slow them down without slowing down the media stream?

Martin

OscarL
2007-03-30, 06:23 AM
Haven't been using the MVP for much viewing lately. Most of the time spent getting WOL to work. But that's the fun thing, getting stuff to work.
But don't worry when I start using it more I will send any feed back to you:)
Thanks for your great job
Oscar

petewxm
2007-03-30, 08:29 AM
Hi Martin,

What can I do to help?

I will load the alpha dongle again today, when I get home from work and I will try and attach the GB-PVR logs,when it disconnects and goes back to the MVPMC menu, hopefully this will shead some light.

If you like I can send a file with sub titles,(I`m in the UK so I guess my recordings include sub titles, I`ve never watched them myself) via Yahoo messenger, You can transfer files up to 1gig. If you use or if you sign up just pm me your user name

Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

Pete:)

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 01:16 PM
Haven't been using the MVP for much viewing lately. Most of the time spent getting WOL to work. But that's the fun thing, getting stuff to work.
But don't worry when I start using it more I will send any feed back to you:)
Thanks for your great job
Thanks for all your help too. The implementation of WOL is much better now, in fact the whole connecting process has been improved and I welcome your feedback.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 01:30 PM
Hi Martin,

What can I do to help?

Pete, I hope you didn't feel pressured to help, that is not my intent I will take you up on the transfer of a file or too. I have a total of one PAL file so given most users of GBPVR and mvpmc too appear to be on PAL and apparently DVB I think I need a better set. Short file will me fine

I will load the alpha dongle again today, when I get home from work and I will try and attach the GB-PVR logs,when it disconnects and goes back to the MVPMC menu, hopefully this will shead some light.
Repeatable problems are obviously the best

If you like I can send a file with sub titles,(I`m in the UK so I guess my recordings include sub titles, I`ve never watched them myself) via Yahoo messenger, You can transfer files up to 1gig. If you use or if you sign up just pm me your user name I use GAIM so can work with most.

Is there anything else I can do?

Don't use emulation mode too much until the problems are resolved. I want this to be a good experience.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-01, 03:16 PM
I've uploaded a new set of files which I expect should address many of the stability issues that have been seen over the last week or so.

Edit: I actually did 3 updates today.

Martin

petewxm
2007-04-02, 08:45 AM
Hi Martin,
I`m have problems sending the video file with sub titles, My ISP isn`t very good, I`ll have another go tonight, sorry for the delay.

Fingers crossed you should get it later

PS I`ll try the updated dongle tonight too

Thanks

Pete