PDA

View Full Version : Delayed shutdown did not shutdown system.

FirstTeamOPS
2007-03-15, 10:52 PM
Fairly simple... I enabled delayed shutdown while a program was recording last night (11P-12A) and got up this morning and the system was still running. No evidence any kind of shutdown took place, mainly because no tray icons were gone. I've never had my system hang during a shutdown and I can't think of any program that would reject an auto shutdown.

I don't normally use this feature but I know this happened with an earlier build too. I don't see anything in the log indicating it was even enabled, but I know the tray icon was flashing the red "turn off" icon when I wet to bed. I can post the logs if needed, but I really don't see anything about the shutdown in them.

Any thoughts?

HtV
2007-03-15, 11:45 PM
Perhaps this: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24724&page=4 post 39 etc.

FirstTeamOPS
2007-03-16, 02:14 AM
I don't think that is related because this is a Slimm GB-PVR feature I have the problem with. All the posts in that thread talk about hibernating or stand by.

HtV
2007-03-16, 07:07 AM
Sorry, hadn't seen that it was a Slimm "problem".:o

Mister Slimm
2007-03-16, 10:33 AM
Fairly simple... I enabled delayed shutdown while a program was recording last night (11P-12A) and got up this morning and the system was still running. No evidence any kind of shutdown took place, mainly because no tray icons were gone. I've never had my system hang during a shutdown and I can't think of any program that would reject an auto shutdown.

I don't normally use this feature but I know this happened with an earlier build too. I don't see anything in the log indicating it was even enabled, but I know the tray icon was flashing the red "turn off" icon when I wet to bed. I can post the logs if needed, but I really don't see anything about the shutdown in them.

Any thoughts?

Yes, please post logs just in case there is something. Slimm GB-PVR doesn't do much logging with regard to shutdown as I just ask Windows to shutdown but there might be a related item in there.

Was the little red flashing turn off icon gone this morning? This indicates that the shutdown function was called as that is the function that turns it off.

I use this feature a lot but I always use the Standby mode. Can you determine if this consistently fails for you? If we can reproduce the error we should be able to do something about it.

when I wet to bed.

At the risk of being childish or possibly unsympathetic... hehehe

FirstTeamOPS
2007-03-16, 07:21 PM
Was the little red flashing turn off icon gone this morning? This indicates that the shutdown function was called as that is the function that turns it off.

Yes, the tray icon was not flashing the shutdown icon in the morning.

Can you determine if this consistently fails for you? If we can reproduce the error we should be able to do something about it.

I'll be able to play with a little later this evening.

Yes, please post logs just in case there is something. Slimm GB-PVR doesn't do much logging with regard to shutdown as I just ask Windows to shutdown but there might be a related item in there.

It was around 11:20P when I enabled the auto-shutdown feature.

At the risk of being childish or possibly unsympathetic... hehehe

LoL... my wonderful spelling and grammar skills shine through once again!! :o

FirstTeamOPS
2007-03-17, 01:35 AM
I played around with it this evening. I was not able to get the shutdown to fire after the recording ended both times I tried.

Then I decided to see if the other auto shutdown functions worked, they did. But now the shutdown function fires at the end of recording.

I couldn't tell you which one did it but it seems like one of the other functions wrote a setting somewhere that now causes the auto shutdown to work correctly.

Donno.

Mister Slimm
2007-03-17, 10:03 AM
Thanks for fiddling, I know it's a bit awkward testing shutdown features.

As for what is causing the problem, I, er, um... :confused:

Well, let's just say that it's cool that it's working now! If it happens again, tell me again and I'll supply a version of Slimm with more information regarding these features that can be logged.

Cheers

FirstTeamOPS
2007-03-17, 09:45 PM
If it happens again, tell me again and I'll supply a version of Slimm with more information regarding these features that can be logged.

If you could provide this, it might motivate me to refresh my image of that PC and see if I can reproduce the behavior from the old image.

PM me or whatever. Thanks.