PDA

View Full Version : Emulation and eth1 (wireless)

ski44
2007-03-29, 01:39 AM
Is it possible to specify the use of eth1 for emulation mode in the alpha dongle? I can see in telnet that mvpmc is trying to connect on eth0 (wired), but I use the wireless interface. I tried the nightly build, but it never connects to gbpvr for some reason.

JavaWiz
2007-03-29, 01:47 AM
I am also wireless. I couldn't get emulation mode to work from the mvpmc menu, I had to boot right into emulation mode by creating a dongle.bin.config file with the following line:

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.2

(there is no cr/lf) after the line in the file. The IP address is the GBPVR pc.

ski44
2007-03-29, 01:59 AM
Are you using the nightly or the alpha? I've tried both, and in the alpha, I can see it is using eth0 even when I specify the command line as you have it.

In the nightly build, I believe it is using eth1 like I want, but I just get connection attempts counting up to 30, as if gbpvr isn't responding or something.

mvallevand
2007-03-29, 02:29 AM
I just uploaded a new alpha that might fix this. I won't have a chance test until the weekend, but I think I made an error with the ping test I added last week. You will still see some eth0 output on the network routing but that isn't related.

Martin

ski44
2007-03-30, 05:31 PM
I tried the new alpha, but I couldn't get GBPVR to come up.

When I start emulation I get, "Pinging" and then "Attempt (x/30)" where x counts from 1 to 30. In telnet I see No server found.

I know my gbpvr server is receiving packets from the mvp, the gbvpr mvp log shows this:

"Received MVP Service Locater"
"Parsing MVP Service Locator request"
"About construct MVP Service Locator request"
"Sending MVP Service Locator response"
"Found handle: 0, count :10"

I've omitted the irrelevant log text with my mac address in it.

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 05:58 PM
I know my gbpvr server is receiving packets from the mvp, the gbvpr mvp log shows this:

"Received MVP Service Locater"
"Parsing MVP Service Locator request"
"About construct MVP Service Locator request"
"Sending MVP Service Locator response"

I've omitted the irrelevant log text with my mac address in it.

That a good first step except one line I've never seen

Are you running with a dongle.bin.config file as JavaWiz suggested?

Martin

ski44
2007-03-30, 08:15 PM
No I tried setting up the smb share to serve that file but I was having some trouble getting the mvp to access the share. What I was doing, was killing the default mvpmc processes and then starting a new one with --startup emulate --emulate <my gbpvr ip address>

Is there a difference?

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 08:53 PM
No I tried setting up the smb share to serve that file but I was having some trouble getting the mvp to access the share. What I was doing, was killing the default mvpmc processes and then starting a new one with --startup emulate --emulate <my gbpvr ip address>

Is there a difference?

No especially if you add and ambersand & at the end of the line which seperates mvpmc from the telnet shell. The reason I asked was to see if you could run the debug version. I will try and set my wireless up this weekend, it's been a while since I ran it and there might be an issue. I don't typically run WEP or this would be easier.

Martin

ski44
2007-03-30, 10:03 PM
Ok, I ran your debug version of mvpmc and here is the output:

ARPING to 192.168.4.31 from 192.168.4.3 via eth1
Unicast reply from 192.168.4.31 [x:x:x:x:x:x] 3.142ms
Using interface eth0
Querying host parameters

That last line is repeated until No Server Found.

Could the problem be that is switching to eth0? The gbpvr log is the same as before.

mvallevand
2007-03-30, 10:57 PM
Could the problem be that is switching to eth0? The gbpvr log is the same as before.
Yes I saw that and I've uploaded another mvpmc.zip, if could could try this and let me know that would be great.

Martin

ski44
2007-03-31, 12:12 AM
Where is it uploaded, It looks the same one is still there in your sticky post.

Thanks

mvallevand
2007-03-31, 02:51 AM
Where is it uploaded, It looks the same one is still there in your sticky post.

Thanks

I downloaded it and it is new and so I logged onto the web site and unzip says

unzip -v mvpmc.zip

Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ----- ---- ---- ------ ----
2759140 Defl:N 1189733 57% 03-30-07 18:36 5566460f mvpmc

Maybe the date and time in EDT (GMT-4) is confusing your browser cache?

Martin

ski44
2007-03-31, 03:04 AM
It was the cache...sorry about that.

Good news, gbpvr is up and running using that new mvpmc binary.

Thank you for helping me get it worked out, now for some real testing of the emulation mode :-)

mvallevand
2007-03-31, 03:13 AM
It was the cache...sorry about that.

Good news, gbpvr is up and running using that new mvpmc binary.

Thank you for helping me get it worked out, now for some real testing of the emulation mode :-)

That's good news. I haven't done enough testing over wireless (obviously) but your feedback is still welcome. Could you try the emulate ? command line option, that might be fixed now too and I won't need to rearrange my network this weekend.

Martin

ski44
2007-04-02, 07:28 PM
Could you try the emulate ? command line option

I wasn't sure what you mean by this, so I tried "--emulate ?" which didn't seem to work. On screen it said trying 1st server or something to that effect but it just counted 1...30 attempts.

mvallevand
2007-04-02, 07:31 PM
I wasn't sure what you mean by this, so I tried "--emulate ?" which didn't seem to work. On screen it said trying 1st server or something to that effect but it just counted 1...30 attempts.

Thanks, that's what I wanted you to test. Guess I will have to connect my other wireless subnet.

Martin