PDA

View Full Version : Upnp

Jase
2007-03-31, 10:13 PM
Hello

Does your dongle support the use of nas drives via Upnp the device i have in mind is a synology ds-106 http://synology.com if so can this fuction be used without the pc being switched on.

Many Thanks Jase.

mvallevand
2007-03-31, 10:50 PM
Hello

Does your dongle support the use of nas drives via Upnp the device i have in mind is a synology ds-106 http://synology.com

Yes and no. Once the wireless card driver got added, the amount of memory available for UPnP was greatly reduced so you might not be able to load large UPnP libraries. Also the maximum bitrate for video files from the UPnP is reduced because the http protocol has lots more overhead for the media stream and I never got more than 8Mbs

I've got 3 NAS's two with UPnP and mvpmc finds them both, plus any PC servers I have running. One caveat mvpmc cannot run as a renderer to a UPnP control point like Cidero.

Since I doubt a local UPnP server has any transcoding capability my recommendation for a NAS with mvpmc would be simply to use native Samba shares and mount them in the dongle.bin.config startup script. The advantage here is that assuming you were using you NAS for GBPVR storage you would get immediate access to files. With UPnP typically you have to wait until the UPnP server scans the media contents which is a pain.

if so can this function be used without the pc being switched on.

Your PC doesn't need to be on to access a NAS or a UPnP device, and I even load the dongle from my NSLU2, so the PC only has to be on when I do emulation mode.

Martin

Jase
2007-04-15, 09:10 PM
when using mvpmc i can get it to list files from my upnp servers but i dont seem to be able to view photos is there any settings i need to change to get this to work

Many thanks jase

mvallevand
2007-04-16, 12:07 AM
when using mvpmc i can get it to list files from my upnp servers but i dont seem to be able to view photos is there any settings i need to change to get this to work

Many thanks jase

The lack of memory problem is most likely affecting things here since jpeg processing is the most memory intensive operation in mvpmc. You might be able to load a png. You also need the nightly or my alpha to load a progressive jpeg even in native mode.

Actually I was a bit surprised, I went to one of my smallest UPnP shares and it can still play audio video and jpegs over a wired LAN leaving 300k free. Are you running wireless? If not the only thing I suggest is minimizing the amount of files that you are sharing (I have about 40 in total) and see how it works.

Note for this test I am running ushare on an NSLU2 NAS, nothing fancy.

Martin

Jase
2007-04-16, 09:33 PM
My mvp is wired to my router but the share i was trying to access was on my laptop which is connected to my router via wireless it was only a small share about 5 pictures i think i am using the alpha dongle.

Many Thanks Jase

mvallevand
2007-04-16, 09:52 PM
My mvp is wired to my router but the share i was trying to access was on my laptop which is connected to my router via wireless it was only a small share about 5 pictures i think i am using the alpha dongle.

Many Thanks Jase

I'm confused are you trying to access a share or a UPnP device?

Martin

Jase
2007-04-16, 10:09 PM
Sorry i am not being very clear i have a upnp server running on my laptop, i also tried to display pictures from my mobile phone which is a upnp device both were very small shares and both were connected to the router wirelesly.

Thanks again jase

mvallevand
2007-04-16, 10:31 PM
Sorry i am not being very clear i have a upnp server running on my laptop, i also tried to display pictures from my mobile phone which is a upnp device both were very small shares and both were connected to the router wirelesly.

Thanks again jase

Several devices use UPnP for discovery but keep the display proprietary. mvpmc's support is based on djmount and here is a link with supported servers http://djmount.sourceforge.net/ My experience with UPnP is poor, many because it is not as universal as you should expect. While gbpvr is custom, in many ways it is more open.

Martin

David
2007-04-20, 06:23 PM
I loaded up 3.3, then the very latest (4/20). I use TVersity for my UPnP server. My library is fairly large. I did not have very much luck browsing or accessing my media. The MVPMC dongle often hung on various folders or rebooted. When I could kick off a video I got about 20 seconds then it would die; further I usually had to restart my UPnP server as well.

The MVPMC dongle is very interesting. I wish the UPnP stuff was a bit more stable. No myth or replay at my house, so I couldn't check that out. I'll take a look at the config script to see what else I can get it to do for me.

mvallevand
2007-04-20, 08:34 PM
I loaded up 3.3, then the very latest (4/20). I use TVersity for my UPnP server. My library is fairly large. I did not have very much luck browsing or accessing my media. The MVPMC dongle often hung on various folders or rebooted. When I could kick off a video I got about 20 seconds then it would die; further I usually had to restart my UPnP server as well.

The 20 second video doesn't sound like memory, although it could be. To confirm you can telnet to you mvp while it is streaming as root and run the command top. I'd be interested in the free memory and CPU utilzation numbers. Ctrl-C to exit top.

Also make sure you use my tversisty profile for mvpmc from this link.

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/

The MVPMC dongle is very interesting. I wish the UPnP stuff was a bit more stable. No myth or replay at my house, so I couldn't check that out. I'll take a look at the config script to see what else I can get it to do for me.

Actually I only use TVersity for one thing and that is streaming RealAudio and it UPnP is fine and stable for that. The config script will be useful when the plugin architecture is available, since it will provide some significant memory saving potential.

Thanks for the feedback.

Martin

wtg
2007-04-23, 03:34 AM
Has anyone got this to work or tried it with Orb's uPnP server?

I just noticed that Orb has one of these set on by default, and since I'm already using Orb for access to my media outside of the network I figured it was worth experimenting with. When I tried accessing it via the 4/15 dongle, it lists the media files fine but playback fails with a quick flash of a "file not found or file is locked" message. No idea how to debug what the real problem is, but thought someone else more knowledgeable may know whether it works or not.

mvallevand
2007-04-23, 03:54 AM
Has anyone got this to work or tried it with Orb's uPnP server?

I just noticed that Orb has one of these set on by default, and since I'm already using Orb for access to my media outside of the network I figured it was worth experimenting with. When I tried accessing it via the 4/15 dongle, it lists the media files fine but playback fails with a quick flash of a "file not found or file is locked" message. No idea how to debug what the real problem is, but thought someone else more knowledgeable may know whether it works or not.

I can't tell you if it works, but I can tell you I didn't any support for any UPnP or http authentication mechanisms. If you want to try and debug this you can telnet to your mvp login as root and do the following

mkdir /Orb
djmount -d /Orb

From there navigate to the Orb folder on the mvp and you should see a lot of the UPnP messages output to the screen. Using a telnet program like Putty you'd be able to capture it.

When you are finished issue this.

fusermount -u /Orb

Martin

heywood
2007-05-09, 08:48 PM
I am a newbie and I wanted to see if it was possible to still use media connect function of mediaplayer 11 with the mvpmc i am using the latest dongle, but I do not think the sharing service which I guess is acting as a UPnP server can see the mvp. My goal is to be able to play protected WMA files through the mvp. any help would be greatly appreciated even if it is to tell me it is not possible.

Thanks

mvallevand
2007-05-10, 01:24 AM
I am a newbie and I wanted to see if it was possible to still use media connect function of mediaplayer 11 with the mvpmc i am using the latest dongle, but I do not think the sharing service which I guess is acting as a UPnP server can see the mvp. My goal is to be able to play protected WMA files through the mvp. any help would be greatly appreciated even if it is to tell me it is not possible.

Thanks

I hadn't tried this with media player 11 before, but in a quick test using the Vista defaults, it seems to serve up my mpeg video and audio sample files I test with GBPVR fine. Media Player 11 doesn't actually have to see your mvpmc, however when mvpmc tries to connect to your PC I expect you would receive a notification balloon on the task bar with the mvpmc MAC address asking for you to allow the connection.

Since mvpmc doesn't natively support WMA unless you can coerce the server to transcode to mp3, wav, ogg or FLAC you will be out of luck. Also, I do not think DRM is good for the industry, but I leave it to you to investigate how this works for you.

Martin

Jase
2007-05-21, 10:14 PM
Could you please give me a rough guide as to how i go about loading the dongle bin file from a nas drive.

Many Thanks Jase.

mvallevand
2007-05-22, 12:34 AM
Could you please give me a rough guide as to how i go about loading the dongle bin file from a nas drive.

Its not trivial since you have several requirements not the least of which is having a reasonable understanding of dhcp, tftp, and you can compile for your NAS or write PERL if your NAS supports it.

If you have a slugged NSLU2 I can probably help otherwise if you are still interested I suggest you post a message the mvpmc-user mailing list. Be prepared for some frustration.The how-to's on the wiki and the mvpmc site are geared to a full linux install and not to NAS's. If you have an older MVP getting a NAS to load the dongle.bin.config file from a share isn't really difficult, everything else is too technical for this forum.

Also this is really unnecessary, GBPVR can load the dongle as easily as the Hauppauge dongle, and mvpmc can run from power failure to failure in typical use, once I've got emulation working and don't update the dongle as frequently, so I feel why bother doing this to yourself.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-22, 12:55 AM
Many Thanks Jase.

Presumably you mean the dongle.bin itself and not the dongle.bin.config ... ?

so I feel why bother doing this to yourselfYeah ... it's hard enough just to get a share going without going to those lengths.... :-)

k.

Jase
2007-05-22, 06:18 PM
The nas unit that i have is a synology disk station ds-107 i have been looking at the NSLU2-Linux.org site and a few others. I think i need to start by enabling telnet access and installing the ipkg package management system and then installing a dhcp server, this makes it sound easy .but i know it wont be, so any help would be grateful.

Thanks again Jase

mvallevand
2007-05-22, 11:31 PM
The nas unit that i have is a synology disk station ds-107 i have been looking at the NSLU2-Linux.org site and a few others. I think i need to start by enabling telnet access and installing the ipkg package management system and then installing a dhcp server, this makes it sound easy .but i know it wont be, so any help would be grateful.

If you've got an older model (non revision H) you might be able to do it using just the ipkg files if you can setup both a dhcp server and a tftp server. Having telnet really doesn't give you much other than the capability to start tinkering.

Once you've got both servers running, likely with the help of some synology hackers, contact the mvpmc-user mailing list at http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=103474
Someone might know enough to help.

If you have a revision H machine. You have to do even more, you will need the additional help of someone who can cross-compile for your NAS and you won't need DHCP but you need to get TFTP working and then contact the mailing list.

Note that I don't recommend that you do this unless you are doing it solely for experimental purposes. I can't say I will have the time to help you out on the mailing list either, I figured it all out on my own, well with google, and lots of Linux how-to's.

Martin

Jase
2007-05-25, 09:03 PM
This will be my last post on this subject here as i know it has gone well of topic. I have been doing some reading on getting the mvp to boot from a nas drive, i see what you mean it is not straight forward. As i have said before the nas drive i have is a synology ds-107. The mvp model i have is a d3A-Uk.
I have installed a dhcp server and tftp server on the nas drive via ipkg optware packages. I have tried to set these up but have had no luck as yet.
At this point i seem to be reading conflicting veiws as to weather i need a tftp server or to serve the dongle via a bootp request.

Do i need a perl script to send the dongle?

Can i use my router as my dhcp server?

Is there a way i can tell if my tftp server/dhcp servers are running?

I know this is a pain but it is just for learning/experimental purposes.

Thanks For your help Jase.

mvallevand
2007-05-25, 10:51 PM
This will be my last post on this subject here as i know it has gone well of topic. I have been doing some reading on getting the mvp to boot from a nas drive, i see what you mean it is not straight forward. As i have said before the nas drive i have is a synology ds-107. The mvp model i have is a d3A-Uk.

The d3a is easiest because it uses standard net boot.

At this point i seem to be reading conflicting veiws as to weather i need a tftp server or to serve the dongle via a bootp request.

Totally different, you use bootp to locate the tftp server and tftp is needed to load it.

Do i need a perl script to send the dongle?

No.

Can i use my router as my dhcp server?

Maybe if you can run custom firmware like DD-WRT. Since you can run dhcp on your NAS that is easiest, remember you can only have one active dhcp on the sub-net.

Is there a way i can tell if my tftp server/dhcp servers are running?

If dhcp is turned off on your router, you know your NAS is working if you get dynamic IP's.
For tftp telnet to your mvpmc machine and issue a tftp command manually.

ie ( note use your tftp server ip here)

tftp -g -l martindoesnotexist 192.168.1.30 dieu

This should return an error like tftp: server says: File not found when it is set up correctly

I know this is a pain but it is just for learning/experimental purposes.

It's not pain, if you do continue to get this working and don't give up. The reason I suggest the mvpmc-user mailing list is there are more people there who know more than me about how to do this.

Martin

Jase
2007-05-26, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your help mvallevand i will continue this thread in the mvpmc user groups.

Thanks again Jase