PDA

View Full Version : Emulation mode testing Round III

mvallevand
2007-04-04, 05:13 AM
I have uploaded a new alpha dongle which I think has changed and I believe improved enough from Round II that I'd like those of you that have tried mvpmc and experienced problems to give it another look.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-04-04, 08:30 AM
Martin,

Only a very quick test before leaving for work this morning.

I deliberatly tried choosing tracks from ML2 as soon as the MVP loaded [this usually caused a problem presumably because the PC at server end was busy at this point]

but today no problems at all, I also tried clicking a lot in the weather plugin again no problems

I have left ML2 running generating random playlists and will report if its still going when I get home tonight

at this point I'd say that the signs are, that this is a good dongle you have built

Tkgafs

pz1
2007-04-05, 07:51 AM
Did a quick try on this one yesterday, because I am following this thread with great interest. I am interested in WOL in particular. MVPMC appeared not to be as scary as I thought from the description of the 'Linux gang'. I just placed it in the dongle dir of GBPVR. The first time it took a while with showing an unsynchronised screen with only something like 'www.mvpmc.org' scrolling over the screen. Than it became stable, and the dongle apparantly was loaded. The only thing to do was choose emulation mode.

As with sub's own dongle, my 20+ years old CRT had a noticeable flickr on the screens. Overall the system seems slower on responding to keystrokes. Live TV had serious problems, but I have to test again to see if it is persistent. I watched one channel for a few minutes switched to the next, than the system hung. After power cycle with the green button GBPVR said there was no device available for video. Finally I ran standard NETradio for three hours, which was fine. For watching the late news I switched back to the standard GBPVR dongle.

tkgafs
2007-04-05, 11:47 AM
Hi Martin,

first longish run lasted 8.5 hours before my daughter decided that the playstation must be plugged in and the mvp unplugged but no problems up till that point.

Next run lasted 3 hours until it failed when ML2 did its nightly scan for new items to add to the library, but this often fails at this point so I'm not concerned particularly about it.

I have started it running again this morning and will see whats happening when I get home tonight.

But I am now pretty sure that certainly for playing music this is now my preferred dongle.

I dont really play tv / recordings through the mvp so can't comment on how well they are working, but the following plugins all seem ok

Cinema,Weather,News and of course MusicLibrary2

I would agree with the quote above that the remote dosn't seem to quite as responsive as when using the hauppauge dongle

Keep up the Good Work

Tkgafs

macgyver
2007-04-05, 12:37 PM
Hi

I've loaded the latest dongle but can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 tracks to play using ML2. It just stops at the end of a track, mostly the first one, but sometimes it plays the second, and in very rare cases the third.
Thing is, I'm almost certain I ran an mvpmc dongle last week that worked but I've gone thorugh them all and can't find one that makes a difference. Can you think of anything I can try as other people seem to be running it OK so I'm assuming it should work. I've tried using different MVPs and turning off the ML2 screen saver in case that was causing a problem.

Other than that, the latest release works well for me. It occasionly reboots for no apparent reason while on the menu, even if just left at the menu, but always performs well when watching recordings including skipping forwards and backwards. I like the volume control which works far better than with the 99.12 dongle and I also get to see all of the picture now, which is a bonus as with all standard dongles I lose about 10%. We rarely watch live TV but cbeebies is sometimes on for the nipper and it seems to work OK.

Keep up the good work, for me this is the best dongle for consistancy across all my MVPs - if only i could sort out the ML2 playlist issue...

Macgyver

pz1
2007-04-05, 01:46 PM
Continued testing today:
- Live TV still problematic. Stops after a while.
- Video -AVI won't work at all. -MPG stops after half a minute or so
- I now have ML2 running 30 minutes (9th track) which seems fine. I'll continue that one.

EDIT: It had run for over 6 hours before I had to manually stop it.

The positive side is that after a crash the restart is much faster. Same is true for a power cycle with the green button.

Will report later some more.

tkgafs
2007-04-05, 04:26 PM
Just to be sure I am running Psyciks plugin MusicLibrary 2 available from the wiki http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/MusicLibrary2
I am running the most recent version which is 5.4

As I see other people are having trouble playing music could you possibly be using Subs music library which is most confusingly called musiclibrary2.

My mvp is also connected directly to my server using a crossovercable

Tkgafs

sub
2007-04-05, 05:29 PM
Just to be sure I am running Psyciks plugin MusicLibrary 2 available from the wiki http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/MusicLibrary2
I am running the most recent version which is 5.4

As I see other people are having trouble playing music could you possibly be using Subs music library which is most confusingly called musiclibrary2.

My mvp is also connected directly to my server using a crossovercable

TkgafsSubs music library is called 'Music Library" not 'musiclibrary2'. After a major graphical overhaul or 'Music Library' (six months or so ago) the skin directory had a '2' appended to represent the major change, and to force outdated skin files not to be used. This is in no way a change of the screen name - it is 'Music Library' just like name shown on the main menu. Not that confusing. The only people it might confuse are those editing the skin files, not those that just use it.

mvallevand
2007-04-05, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I probably won't get to much down with GBPVR since my XP box doesn't even give me a logo and there are pieces of hardware everywhere. At least it's a long weekend but I'd rather have been moving files to my new PC.

I digress...

MVPMC appeared not to be as scary as I thought from the description of the 'Linux gang'. I just placed it in the dongle dir of GBPVR.
When I joined the project that was one of my main goals. It was way too complicated originally.

The first time it took a while with showing an unsynchronised screen with only something like 'www.mvpmc.org' scrolling over the screen.
I looked at the code and that screen is hardcoded NTSC. I'll fix that tonight.

As with sub's own dongle, my 20+ years old CRT had a noticeable flickr on the screens.
I'm not sure how to resolve this, I will try something

Overall the system seems slower on responding to keystrokes.

I would agree with the quote above that the remote dosn't seem to quite as responsive as when using the hauppauge dongle

It is definitely but that is partially intentional. I try and keep some consistency with the screen updates, Hauppauge queues up more keys but can hang with busy screens.

Live TV had serious problems, but I have to test again to see if it is persistent. I watched one channel for a few minutes switched to the next, than the system hung. After power cycle with the green button GBPVR said there was no device available for video
I strongly recommend you use the GBPVR server option which should cause a full reset after a crash. Having one extra should allow you right back in

Continued testing today:
- Live TV still problematic. Stops after a while.
- Video -AVI won't work at all. -MPG stops after half a minute or so

The video issue is very strange, but I will look into it more. It might be a 99.5 vs 99.12, but I can't do anything until XP recovery.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-05, 08:00 PM
Hi

I've loaded the latest dongle but can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 tracks to play using ML2. It just stops at the end of a track, mostly the first one, but sometimes it plays the second, and in very rare cases the third.

Are these queued tracks or do you listen one by one?

Thing is, I'm almost certain I ran an mvpmc dongle last week that worked but I've gone thorugh them all and can't find one that makes a difference. Can you think of anything I can try as other people seem to be running it OK so I'm assuming it should work. I've tried using different MVPs and turning off the ML2 screen saver in case that was causing a problem.

Other then confirming you are running 0404 I don't have a lot of solution.

Keep up the good work, for me this is the best dongle for consistancy across all my MVPs - if only i could sort out the ML2 playlist issue...

This is something I should be able to do. Can you confirm you are running 99.12

Thanks

Martin

JavaWiz
2007-04-05, 08:25 PM
Using dongle dated 4-4. connecting via wireless to MVP

MVP load of dongle worked perfectly
dongle.bin.config loaded
drives mapped successfully
attempt to boot into emulation mode via config.
Indicates 'Connecting to 192.168.1.2' (my gbpvr server)
Starts pinging,
counts to 30 and stops
Once back on MVPMC screen, I select emulation mode and it connects right up (most of the time, there are times that it still just counts).
Once gbpvr loaded:
Screen navigation - ok, maybe a little sluggish
Live TV - ok.
Channel change on Live TV - ok.
Recording Playback - ok.
Music Library - ok (both MP3 and WMA)
Photo Library - ok
Net Radio - ok
Weather Plugin - ok
You Tube Plugin - okSo, for me anyways, all GBPVR functions work.

Only problem seems to be on boot-up, I don't seem to be able to get into emulation mode automatically, it fails, then I simply select emulation mode and it works.

It seems that if emulation does not connect on the 1st ping, it won't connect at all.

mvallevand
2007-04-06, 01:34 AM
Using dongle dated 4-4. connecting via wireless to MVP
Only problem seems to be on boot-up, I don't seem to be able to get into emulation mode automatically, it fails, then I simply select emulation mode and it works.

It seems that if emulation does not connect on the 1st ping, it won't connect at all.

Excellent, thanks JavaWiz. It shows I'm going in the right direction this time around. For the ping could you telnet to your mvp and try this command

/usr/bin/arping -c 2 -I eth1 your IP

I trigger on these two strings

"Unicast reply" Success
"Received 0" Failure

Martin

pz1
2007-04-06, 11:56 AM
The video issue is very strange, but I will look into it more. It might be a 99.5 vs 99.12, but I can't do anything until XP recovery.

I forgot to mention that in Live TV image and sound were about 30 seconds out of sync.

mvallevand
2007-04-06, 01:05 PM
I forgot to mention that in Live TV image and sound were about 30 seconds out of sync.
If the demuxing is that messed up, no wonder there are difficulties. What bit rate do you use for live tv? Everything I test is with defaults.

Martin

pz1
2007-04-06, 02:58 PM
If the demuxing is that messed up, no wonder there are difficulties. What bit rate do you use for live tv? Everything I test is with defaults.

Martin

I guess you mean this setting?

<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 25 -s 352x288 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>

Remarkable that Javawiz has no problems at all. The only difference in setup I see is that he has 'drives mapped'. Should I have done that? I only dumped the dongle in the dongle-dir.

mvallevand
2007-04-06, 03:21 PM
I guess you mean this setting?

<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 25 -s 352x288 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>

I don't think that that's it for live tv, it shouldn't necessarily be transcoded. My XP machine still is down because of a bad MBR, fortunately I could mount the drive on linux and I'm copying the disk slowly to another. Lucky too because it is RAID-0 I figured it was toast. Hopefully someone else can tell you the setting.

Remarkable that Javawiz has no problems at all. The only difference in setup I see is that he has 'drives mapped'. Should I have done that? I only dumped the dongle in the dongle-dir.
[/QUOTE]

Drive mapping won't help at all with emulation mode so what you did is fine. The problems might be network speed. He's running wireless and because of the low quality NIC in the mvp wireless can give better performance than wired, but it is also typically unpredictable.

Martin

pz1
2007-04-06, 04:12 PM
I don't think that that's it for live tv, it shouldn't necessarily be transcoded. My XP machine still is down because of a bad MBR, fortunately I could mount the drive on linux and I'm copying the disk slowly to another. Lucky too because it is RAID-0 I figured it was toast. Hopefully someone else can tell you the setting.

Sorry I am pretty ignorant in the area of sound/video. It was the only MVP related bitrate I could find in config.xml. For my Hauppauge 350 I have this:

<PVR350TranscodeCmdLine>-y -b 2200k -vcodec mpeg2video -i {SOURCE_FILE} {DEST_FILE}</PVR350TranscodeCmdLine>

tkgafs
2007-04-07, 07:36 AM
Hi Martin,

thought you'd be pleased to see this, the dongle from 04/04 has now been playing music using ML2 for 2 days and 1 hour it has randomly played over 750 tracks in succession. I think that certainly for me using my setup you have nailed playing music :) well done

output from ifconfig on the mvp follows

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:FE:00:36:C6
inet addr:192.168.0.170 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4415107 errors:69448 dropped:0 overruns:69448 frame:0
TX packets:3409660 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1444062730 (1.3 GiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:27 Base address:0xd300 DMA chan:1

You cant imagine how great it is to be able to come in switch the amp to the aux source and a random selection of music just starts streaming out

thanks again

Tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-04-07, 03:43 PM
Hi Martin,

thought you'd be pleased to see this, the dongle from 04/04 has now been playing music using ML2 for 2 days and 1 hour it has randomly played over 750 tracks in succession. I think that certainly for me using my setup you have nailed playing music :) well done

Excellent, thanks for the help getting it to this stage. I;d like to see if I can reduce your tcpip errors to a lower number, with this NIC I'm not sure, but I am definitely pleased. Now we just have to figure out how to multicast/torrent the Hauppauge protocol over the internet so we can all listen to "Radio tkgafs" on our mvp's It looks like you have an interesting collection.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-07, 09:29 PM
I've been testing emulation mode of the MVPMC dongle now and again over the last months and the latest alpha (dated 04/03) is much more stable in my setup. Button response is quicker, channel changing also seems quicker and getting kicked out of GBPVR to the MVPMC home page is less frequent.

But I'm seeing a serious loss of sync between audio and video in Live TV mode. Sync starts off OK in Live TV mode but seems to get lost on channel change: in the last test I did audio lagged by about 8 seconds. My MVP is rev D3A and my Live TV quality is 6000 kbits/sec CBR. I'll continue to test as WAF allows.

mvallevand
2007-04-07, 10:58 PM
I've been testing emulation mode of the MVPMC dongle now and again over the last months and the latest alpha (dated 04/03) is much more stable in my setup. Button response is quicker, channel changing also seems quicker and getting kicked out of GBPVR to the MVPMC home page is less frequent.

But I'm seeing a serious loss of sync between audio and video in Live TV mode. Sync starts off OK in Live TV mode but seems to get lost on channel change: in the last test I did audio lagged by about 8 seconds. My MVP is rev D3A and my Live TV quality is 6000 kbits/sec CBR. I'll continue to test as WAF allows.

Thanks Luckerman, based on the feedback here I does seem like I have to clean out the buffers better when changing channels. Unfortunately now that my XP setup is history, I don't currently have live tv, to do much on this. At that bit rate it must be the audio buffer that needs to be cleared not just the demux.

As for the WAF, originally I wasn't optimistic, but I think we might reach it after all the excellent feedback I've received here.

Martin

HtV
2007-04-08, 11:58 AM
Hi Martin,

tested the alpha dongle from yesterday:
-the buttons etc are a lot quicker now:)
-Livetv seems to work but is very unstable, after pausing/restarting a few times it stops and reloads the mvpmc-screen. It'll take a ~minute to start the gbpvr-screen again.
The following error was in the mvpgbpvr.exe.og:

2007-04-08 01:09:26.109 ERROR [11] bij System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
bij System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer)
bij GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xcca58d4608994dd8(Point x557cda7ca079f710, Rectangle x19534874af95b268, Bitmap x84901bd355736ef6, Boolean x484012b92f24af4e)
bij GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xe75b6be209ce111f(Image x84901bd355736ef6)
bij GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xb1cbc922a07ef39b(Object xdf2e3583f942db7b, EventArgs xc4f45905cb1fc7ba)

Also got a .Net error in the systemlogs after the first of those restarts, but only once:) .
This was the error:

Sometimes it seems that I have to restart the recservice to make it contact the mvp again.

Faulting application gbpvrrecordingservice.exe, version 1.0.2643.35874, stamp 0000003a, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 41109833, debug? 0, fault address 0x000106c3.

-Recordings, music and foto's seem to play fine.

But I think you are making a lot of progress, especially the speed is much better now.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-04-08, 12:36 PM
tested the alpha dongle from yesterday:

But I think you are making a lot of progress, especially the speed is much better now.

cya Hans

Thank Hans, there have been a few reports of problems with live tv this round and yesterday's alpha didn't do anything to improve the functionality. I am a bit surprised that mvpmc was actually able to crash the recording service, during my testing I regularily crash and close mvpmc and 99.12 has been extremely good.
I also make sure that I run on extra service from config.exe so I can get back in.

Did the new splash show ok at PAL resolution?

Martin

HtV
2007-04-08, 05:54 PM
I also make sure that I run on extra service from config.exe so I can get back in.
I'll try that later/tomorrow.
I have to add that the Youtube plugin and playing avi's (with ffmpeg on the fly) worked ok aswell.

Did the new splash show ok at PAL resolution?
Martin

I think it looked ok, although I must admit I don't remember what to compare it with.:) Maybe I'll load the older dongle aswell, just to compare.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-04-08, 06:40 PM
I'll try that later/tomorrow.
I have to add that the Youtube plugin and playing avi's (with ffmpeg on the fly) worked ok aswell.

I think it looked ok, although I must admit I don't remember what to compare it with.:) Maybe I'll load the older dongle aswell, just to compare.

cya Hans

If you have and NTSC/PAL TV you probably would't notice a difference.

Martin

HtV
2007-04-08, 07:24 PM
I checked the tv-manual: Pal, Secam and NTSC through scart. So that would probably explain why I never saw a problem in the 1st place.:)

macgyver
2007-04-09, 05:15 PM
Are these queued tracks or do you listen one by one?

Other then confirming you are running 0404 I don't have a lot of solution.

This is something I should be able to do. Can you confirm you are running 99.12

Thanks

Martin

I am running 0404 and 99.12.
I was using a playlist so I just tried it by selecting random from all tracks and it seemed to work fine - played 5 tracks in a row. Then I stopped it and selected the playlist and pressed random on that and it played the first two before giving up. The playlist works fine using a standard dongle.

Cheers

Macgyver

mvallevand
2007-04-10, 04:11 AM
I am running 0404 and 99.12.
I was using a playlist so I just tried it by selecting random from all tracks and it seemed to work fine - played 5 tracks in a row. Then I stopped it and selected the playlist and pressed random on that and it played the first two before giving up. The playlist works fine using a standard dongle.

Cheers

Macgyver

Thanks, it sounds like this hit the hole in my logic which I haven't been able figure out a solution for. When there isn't a recent keystroke but the screen saver isn't on or comes on for the first time there is the chance of a collision.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-11, 02:41 AM
I have uploaded a new dongle 0409 which hopefully clears the audio/video buffer problems in live tv. I have tested this on Vista Premium with the GBPVR medium and high quality settings and for me there is no sync issue.

For those using the Hauppauge PVR150 with Vista I am having some LiveTV problems but this might not be an mvpmc issue. On some occassions instead of a 16k bitrate with enough length to start playing GBPVR identifies a 6500 bitrate with a zero length. If I get one of these the video does not start or a channge change fails. You can see this file setting if you run mvpmc from the command line.

Martin

pz1
2007-04-11, 08:08 AM
I have uploaded a new dongle 0410 which hopefully clears the audio/video buffer problems in live tv.

- The dongle I downloaded via you sticky page is dated 0409
- As far as I could see nothing has improved in my setting, except the live tv image and sound seem to be in sync now. (see my post at the beginning of this thread)
I now only tested LiveTV:
- at startup the 'www.mvpmc.org' still scrolls a minute or so, until I see it change collor in blue. Finally I see the menu where I choose emulation. It almost immediately connects, and I see GBPVR menu (which has unacceptable flickr as mentioned before)
- I switch to Live TV, image is fine. The following is switch to the next channel, which results in a short display of the menu, followed by a glimpse of a progress bar. Finally the screen stays black.
- The following I did was powercycle the MVP. Choose emulation. quite often I have to go through two or three cycles of trying to connect here. In case I switched the MVP off for a prolonged time, reconnect in emulation is again almost immediate. So it looks like the GBPVR itself is very busy for some time to recover from the 'crash'.

Sorry that I can't provide better news

HtV
2007-04-11, 08:16 AM
So it looks like the GBPVR itself is very busy for some time to recover from the 'crash'.

Yes this is what I found too with the previous dongle (haven't tested this one yet). It takes about a minute I think for GBPVR to "recognise" the crash and restart the (mvp)gbpvr.exe. That's why Martin starts 2 mvp-servers, so there's always one ready to kick in.

pz1
2007-04-11, 08:30 AM
That's why Martin starts 2 mvp-servers, so there's always one ready to kick in.

Thanks, will use that setting in the next round of testing.

mvallevand
2007-04-11, 11:32 AM
- The dongle I downloaded via you sticky page is dated 0409
Sorry I did compile in on the the 9th, but I tested it on the 10th to see if my stuttering file problem returned. That is the correct version.

- As far as I could see nothing has improved in my setting, except the live tv image and sound seem to be in sync now. (see my post at the beginning of this thread)
I now only tested LiveTV:

Fixing the sync was the only major change so that is positive.

- at startup the 'www.mvpmc.org' still scrolls a minute or so, until I see it change collor in blue. Finally I

That sounds like it still isn't auto sensing PAL. Have you confirmed with the Hauppauge software that you are running PAL?

see the menu where I choose emulation. It almost immediately connects, and I see GBPVR menu (which has unacceptable flickr as mentioned before)

I will try something to address the flicker next time.

- I switch to Live TV, image is fine. The following is switch to the next channel, which results in a short display of the menu, followed by a glimpse of a progress bar. Finally the screen stays black.

The menu reappearing is really odd. That would definitely be out of sequence in live tv and gives me something to look for.

- The following I did was powercycle the MVP. Choose emulation. quite often I have to go through two or three cycles of trying to connect here. In case I switched the MVP off for a prolonged time, reconnect in emulation is again almost immediate. So it looks like the GBPVR itself is very busy for some time to recover from the 'crash'.

Sorry that I can't provide better news

As suggested the extra server will help. I actually found this to be good news. I wasn't expecting to move to round IV yet.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-12, 04:04 AM
The menu reappearing is really odd. That would definitely be out of sequence in live tv and gives me something to look for.

pz1, I've been able to duplicate many problems by increasing the pre-buffer delay for live tv from the default 600 to 800, so that's a good sign, I even get an OSD update. What do you have for this setting?

Martin

pz1
2007-04-12, 07:11 AM
pz1, I've been able to duplicate many problems by increasing the pre-buffer delay for live tv from the default 600 to 800, so that's a good sign, I even get an OSD update. What do you have for this setting?

Martin
Martin, thats it! I just did a quick check and trial. I had Live TV buffer delay on 5000 msec. I think I did change that at the time because of losing connections. Apparantly I forgot to switch it back. I have to test more thoroughly tonight, but I did now quickly switch between 5 different programs without a problem.

pz1
2007-04-12, 07:18 AM
That sounds like it still isn't auto sensing PAL. Have you confirmed with the Hauppauge software that you are running PAL?
Martin

My GBPVR config.xml setting is:

<MVPVideoStandard>pal</MVPVideoStandard>
Is there more to check?

HtV
2007-04-12, 07:26 AM
I think that only takes care of choosing the right transcoding for the mvp.
If you want to make sure you have set your mvp to pal, you have to stop the gbpvrrecordingservice, start the hauppauge services. I think you have to reload the hauppauge dongle (unplug the mvp) then in setup/settings you can set it to PAL/NTSC. Now stop the hauppauge services, restart the gbpvrrecordingservice, reload the gbpvr dongle(unplug mvp). That's it. The Pal setting will stick in the mvp-memory and not be overwritten by the gbpvr-dongle.

jksmurf
2007-04-12, 07:38 AM
If you want to make sure you have set your mvp to pal, you have to stop the gbpvrrecordingservice, start the hauppauge services. I think you have to reload the hauppauge dongle (unplug the mvp) then in setup/settings you can set it to PAL/NTSC. Now stop the hauppauge services, restart the gbpvrrecordingservice, reload the gbpvr dongle(unplug mvp). That's it. The Pal setting will stick in the mvp-memory and not be overwritten by the gbpvr-dongle.

Yeah, Martin did mention this a while back and I tried it. All I got at the time was the Blue Hauppauge screen with little x's like it was missing some button images... couldn't make it work. I might give it another whack now that my WinXp reinstall + GBPVR reinstall is done, and try the magic dongle again ... it better be as good as they say it is, or I'm taking it back... :D

k.

HtV
2007-04-12, 08:37 AM
and try the magic dongle again ... it better be as good as they say it is, or I'm taking it back... :D

k.

You being the Dongle Dealer for quite some time, I'm sure you have a few lying around somewhere, so you can put it on the heap then.:D

jksmurf
2007-04-12, 08:56 AM
You being the Dongle Dealer for quite some time, I'm sure you have a few lying around somewhere, so you can put it on the heap then.:DThose dark days are behind me ... I'm a changed man :-)

k.

HtV
2007-04-12, 09:45 AM
Did you get treatment for that?:D

mvallevand
2007-04-12, 12:18 PM

That's correct. I suggest using a newer version like this one from hauppauge.com

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mediamvp.html

Getting the setup correct for things like PAL, the aspect ratio, and the preferred server will be of benefit to mvpmc.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-12, 12:21 PM
Yeah, Martin did mention this a while back and I tried it. All I got at the time was the Blue Hauppauge screen with little x's like it was missing some button images... couldn't make it work. I might give it another whack now that my WinXp reinstall + GBPVR reinstall is done, and try the magic dongle again ... it better be as good as they say it is, or I'm taking it back... :D

k.

I want to see if it lights up your Dolby now. :cool:

Martin

jksmurf
2007-04-12, 12:24 PM
I want to see if it lights up your Dolby now. :cool:

Martin
LOL, actually another reason I pulled the pin on testing was the aspect ratio thingy. After the 1st mvmpc trial it gave me wide screen past the sides of my TV, so I tried to install the Hauppage s/w and it went whacko on me, so I gave up. But it's time to give it another go... yes, sir.

k.

pz1
2007-04-12, 12:34 PM
That's correct. I suggest using a newer version like this one from hauppauge.com

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mediamvp.html

Getting the setup correct for things like PAL, the aspect ratio, and the preferred server will be of benefit to mvpmc.

Martin

I did check in the meantime on an older installation that the MVP was on PAL. I also noticed that I did have the flickr control already on 'high'. I haven't used the version you mention here. Will do so and try to set the preferred server as well.

mvallevand
2007-04-14, 05:31 AM

I will try something to address the flicker next time.

I have uploaded a new dongle 0414 which will address some issues when changing channels with live tv, the PAL logo at the start and potential changes for flicker control.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-14, 05:49 PM
I've had a little chance to test out the 4/10 and 4/14 dongles. The 4/10 dongle gave fewer instances of sync loss and was sufficiently stable so I left it on for a couple of days. Audio and video still went out of sync, but it didn't seem to happen as readily. FF and REW responses were nearly instantaneous as were channel changes. Sometimes the video would get a little blocky during changes.

I installed the 4/14 dongle today and haven't seen any loss of sync but channel changes have been troublesome: often slow, 6-8 seconds, sometimes ending up with a black screen and several times kicking out of LiveTV. Once I saw an onscreen message to the effect that there was a comm loss with the TV source(sorry, I didn't write down the exact wording).

So far, then, for my usage, the 4/10 dongle gives the most satisfying results. I applaud all of your efforts on this, Martin, and hope this feedback may be helpful.

mvallevand
2007-04-14, 07:30 PM
I've had a little chance to test out the 4/10 and 4/14 dongles. The 4/10 dongle gave fewer instances of sync loss and was sufficiently stable so I left it on for a couple of days. Audio and video still went out of sync, but it didn't seem to happen as readily. FF and REW responses were nearly instantaneous as were channel changes. Sometimes the video would get a little blocky during changes.

One of things I want to experiment with is the channel transition change. The blockiness is expected as the demux loses a steady feed and acquires a new one. In fact some of the delay is really bogus because you are seeing the old channel stream when you want to new stream. I was going to black out the screen to highlight this but that is severe so and want to implement some king of shading which gbpvr attempts to do but at least in emulation mode isn't successful at all.

I installed the 4/14 dongle today and haven't seen any loss of sync but channel changes have been troublesome: often slow, 6-8 seconds, sometimes ending up with a black screen and several times kicking out of LiveTV.
Your findings are the same as mine except your delays are much longer but I get the black screen too. I want to see how this works for those having problems with llivetv in 0410 but 0410 works better for me with a smaller buffer.

Once I saw an onscreen message to the effect that there was a comm loss with the TV source(sorry, I didn't write down the exact wording).

That must be a gbpvr message and I have never seen it.

So far, then, for my usage, the 4/10 dongle gives the most satisfying results. I applaud all of your efforts on this, Martin, and hope this feedback may be helpful.

Thanks, this is the feedback I need and it is helpful.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-15, 05:38 AM
I installed the 4/14 dongle today and haven't seen any loss of sync but channel changes have been troublesome: often slow, 6-8 seconds, sometimes ending up with a black screen and several times kicking out of LiveTV. Once I saw an onscreen message to the effect that there was a comm loss with the TV source(sorry, I didn't write down the exact wording).

I've been playing with this a bit this evening and there is a 0415 dongle that I think handles the channel changes as well or better then 0410.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-04-15, 06:45 AM
I've been playing with this a bit this evening and there is a 0415 dongle that I think handles the channel changes as well or better then 0410. Martin

But not yet uploaded, right?
http://www.mvpmc.org/builds/
http://uk.mvpmc.org/builds/

k.

pz1
2007-04-15, 06:49 AM
But not yet uploaded, right?
http://www.mvpmc.org/builds/
http://uk.mvpmc.org/builds/

k.

I found it here http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/dongle.zip

HtV
2007-04-15, 08:51 AM
Wow Martin, nice work.
I think it worked very well, I couldn't get livetv to lockup. Everything else seems to work fine. Only the channel-changing speed is low. ~5-6 secs.
Buttons are only a bit slower I think, than with the gbpvr dongle.
One time I had a sync issue while skipping in a recording, but I couldn't do it again.

Very nice work.

cya Hans

pz1
2007-04-15, 02:29 PM
I have uploaded a new dongle 0414 which will address some issues when changing channels with live tv, the PAL logo at the start and potential changes for flicker control.

Martin
I did test with 0415. The logo at the start is still scrolling, but this may be due to the fact that I have a very old crt TV.
With the 0409 I did have some problems with synchronisation again. Today with the 0415 it seemed OK even after switching several times.
Overall this is the most stable version. I did switch frequently between channels, but als listened for a short while to Net Radio.
There is a remaining problem with avi files, but some (not all) of them appeared to be troublesome with the GBPVR dongle as well. I think I have to look into that one separately.

mvallevand
2007-04-15, 02:37 PM
I did test with 0415. The logo at the start is still scrolling, but this may be due to the fact that I have a very old crt TV.
Do you still see flicker? I did add something I was told might help.

With the 0409 I did have some problems with synchronisation again. Today with the 0415 it seemed OK even after switching several times.
Overall this is the most stable version. I did switch frequently between channels, but als listened for a short while to Net Radio.
There is a remaining problem with avi files, but some (not all) of them appeared to be troublesome with the GBPVR dongle as well. I think I have to look into that one separately.
Thanks all the feedback is definitely paying off in id'ing the problem areas.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-04-16, 01:36 AM
I've just tested 0415 (inset video off) and found it good except for one disconnect when playing net radio streams. (Log showed mvp taking too long to respond so GBPVR initiated a restert. Could have been Internet delay?).

TV channel changes took 5 sec with good transitions.

Well done, Martin.

mvallevand
2007-04-16, 02:16 AM
I've just tested 0415 (inset video off) and found it good except for one disconnect when playing net radio streams. (Log showed mvp taking too long to respond so GBPVR initiated a restert. Could have been Internet delay?).

TV channel changes took 5 sec with good transitions.

Well done, Martin.

Thanks Lindsay any reason you aren't testing inset video? It works fine for me, and I think we both use PVR 150's and Vista now.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-16, 02:37 AM
I did some testing with the 4/15 dongle but didn't see results as good as others have. A/V sync was good but the screen often froze on the current channel or a black screen(MVP responding only to the on/off button). I tested 4/15 three times, each ending in a screen freeze after no more than several channel changes. Afterward I switched to 4/10 and it functioned as before(that is, could lose sync but didn't freeze).

mvallevand
2007-04-16, 02:55 AM
I did some testing with the 4/15 dongle but didn't see results as good as others have. A/V sync was good but the screen often froze on the current channel or a black screen(MVP responding only to the on/off button). I tested 4/15 three times, each ending in a screen freeze after no more than several channel changes. Afterward I switched to 4/10 and it functioned as before(that is, could lose sync but didn't freeze).

Thanks. You told me that you were using 6000 CBR. What about other things that might be different like the livetv pre-buffers and MVP minimal OSD or possible the skin or EPG?

Also maybe the 8192 buffer isn't good for you. If you can run from telnet or use a dongle.bin.config file you could try the old default by adding --em-rtwin 4096

Finally could you confirm you are running 99.12 with this patch

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=185143&postcount=31

Martin

pz1
2007-04-16, 07:27 AM
Do you still see flicker? I did add something I was told might help.
Martin

The flicker remained the same. It most noticeably is in the horizontal lines of the program guide. I observed the same level of flicker in the dongle that sub has worked on a while ago. With the standard dongle I do observe some modest flicker if I sit near the screen. I do not see it from a distance. But as said it may have to do with my 20+ years old CRT TV, and my almost three times as old eyes.
For LiveTV and video the flicker is not really disturbing with mvpmc. As long as no one else is complaining, I suggest you should not spend to much time on it further.

Overall for my setup mvpmc is still less stable in prolonged use than the standard dongle. I will continue to watch this space with great interest. If I can find the time I will test the next releases.
p

Lindsay
2007-04-17, 11:19 AM
Thanks Lindsay any reason you aren't testing inset video? It works fine for me, and I think we both use PVR 150's and Vista now.

Martin

That is very interesting that yours works OK. Mine has never worked properly with insetvid on, with either dongle.

One major, which is nothing to do with mvpmc as it is there with the Hau dongle, is that I get the vertical line problem on my plasma screen when in inset mode. This ruins still images and also shows on the menu screen.

But there are many other weird happenings. For example, when playing a video the image jumps into a small image bottom left instead of full screen (rest of scr is black). Press menu - works as expected. Press video again - OK with small bottom left image. Select a video - the small vid hangs with a static image and no sound. Sel vid again - nothg happens except for screen flash. Press Menu - menu screen comes up with small frozen image in top left of large window! And so on...

With the Hau dongle I was getting errors but also key stackups suggesting a bandwidth problem somewhere.

My mvp connects via cat5 cable to a 100Mb switch.

Interested in your (or others) opinions.

mvallevand
2007-04-17, 12:11 PM
That is very interesting that yours works OK. Mine has never worked properly with insetvid on, with either dongle.

One major, which is nothing to do with mvpmc as it is there with the Hau dongle, is that I get the vertical line problem on my plasma screen when in inset mode. This ruins still images and also shows on the menu screen.

Ship me your screen and I will be happy to test it! I actually haven't tested inset mode with PAL for a long time, so I will check that after work. Are you running the default skin with a 16:9 aspect ratio?

But there are many other weird happenings. For example, when playing a video the image jumps into a small image bottom left instead of full screen (rest of scr is black). Press menu - works as expected.

That is odd because the screen mode is set by gbpvr, the black scr is expected when you are full screen. Have you ever moved your mvp to hook it up to your Hauppauge card? This would help determine if there is a problem with inset mode and your monitor.

With the Hau dongle I was getting errors but also key stackups suggesting a bandwidth problem somewhere.

The bandwidth isn't that much different, in fact it is less the full screen while there is some OSD graphic.

Martin

petewxm
2007-04-17, 02:10 PM
Hi Martin,
I have been trying your latest Alpha dongle and its great, much more responsive and stable. Thanks

One thing I did notice though, during live TV, Pause doesn`t work and if you want to skip back that doest work (These work while watching a recording but not during live TV).

Other than that its fantastic!!!!

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-04-17, 10:46 PM
I have been trying your latest Alpha dongle and its great, much more responsive and stable. Thanks

One thing I did notice though, during live TV, Pause doesn`t work and if you want to skip back that doest work (These work while watching a recording but not during live TV).

Hi Pete, what FF option do you use in GBPVR?

Martin

Lindsay
2007-04-17, 10:57 PM
Martin, I have tried 4:3 and 16:9 in the Playback section but the results are the same i.e. video lockups and small inserts instead of full screen displays. I checked on the freight for my panel and it looks to be uneconomic to ship it to you. Otherwise, I would have - honest!

Folks, am I the only one having these problems with videoinset on?

mvallevand
2007-04-17, 11:33 PM
Martin, I have tried 4:3 and 16:9 in the Playback section but the results are the same i.e. video lockups and small inserts instead of full screen displays. I checked on the freight for my panel and it looks to be uneconomic to ship it to you. Otherwise, I would have - honest!

Folks, am I the only one having these problems with videoinset on?

Honesty is good, I've heard "the plasma's in the mail" once too often.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-04-17, 11:43 PM
Yep, the world is full of liars!

BTW, missed out answer re skin. I use stock std Blue.

Lindsay.

petewxm
2007-04-18, 09:36 PM
Hi Martin,
What do you mean when you say "what FF option do you use in GBPVR?" is it a setting in the config?

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-04-18, 09:43 PM
Hi Martin,
What do you mean when you say "what FF option do you use in GBPVR?" is it a setting in the config?

Thanks

Pete

Yes it is on the Misc tab of the config. "Use short skip instead of FF/RW"

Martin

JavaWiz
2007-04-18, 10:06 PM
Martin, with your alpha dongle, should the web interface be available? I have never been able to connect via the browser, the telnet interface seems to work fine.

mvallevand
2007-04-18, 11:22 PM
Martin, with your alpha dongle, should the web interface be available? I have never been able to connect via the browser, the telnet interface seems to work fine.

I turned it off on the wireless port intentionally because I was contemplating implementing more security in the web interface which I never got around to. I'll enable it for the next alpha.

Martin

dfdario
2007-04-19, 06:43 AM
Downloaded latest dongle alpha (18/4), it is as faster as official dongle!
Play recordings: no more stutters, slow in applying transparent OSD but acceptable.
LiveTV: some stutters, FF and RW work as expected (FF/RW are set as skip)

No more test performed

Very good job!

mvallevand
2007-04-19, 12:24 PM
Downloaded latest dongle alpha (18/4), it is as faster as official dongle!
Play recordings: no more stutters, slow in applying transparent OSD but acceptable.
LiveTV: some stutters, FF and RW work as expected (FF/RW are set as skip)

No more test performed

Very good job!

For the stuttering the only change was the new 8192 default, and given the generally positive response 0418 I think it was worthwhile and I thank you for trying various options.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-21, 08:34 PM
Thanks. You told me that you were using 6000 CBR. What about other things that might be different like the livetv pre-buffers and MVP minimal OSD or possible the skin or EPG?

Also maybe the 8192 buffer isn't good for you. If you can run from telnet or use a dongle.bin.config file you could try the old default by adding --em-rtwin 4096

Finally could you confirm you are running 99.12 with this patch

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=185143&postcount=31

Martin

Hi Martin, I'm just back to testing again.

Live TV pre-play delay is set to 600 ms, transcode pre-delay = 5500, and Force Minimal OSD for MVP is checked.
I've got the Blue skin installed for testing and the EPG is from Zap2It.
I created a dongle.bin.config with the line you suggest(I'm pretty sure the .config is loading because MVPMC was acting on a start in emulate mode command when starting), and am running 99.12 with the cited patch installed.
Yet 4/15 freezes pretty quickly and I can't get 4/10 to freeze, even with constant keypresses. Two things I've noticed on 4/15: on a successful channel change, before the new channel is visible, the audio continues for a couple of second after the video has stopped moving, and when changing channels sometimes I'm still losing the channel's second digit.

mvallevand
2007-04-21, 08:59 PM
Hi Martin, I'm just back to testing again.

Live TV pre-play delay is set to 600 ms, transcode pre-delay = 5500, and Force Minimal OSD for MVP is checked.
I've got the Blue skin installed for testing and the EPG is from Zap2It.
I created a dongle.bin.config with the line you suggest(I'm pretty sure the .config is loading because MVPMC was acting on a start in emulate mode command when starting), and am running 99.12 with the cited patch installed.
Yet 4/15 freezes pretty quickly and I can't get 4/10 to freeze, even with constant keypresses. Two things I've noticed on 4/15: on a successful channel change, before the new channel is visible, the audio continues for a couple of second after the video has stopped moving, and when changing channels sometimes I'm still losing the channel's second digit.

Thanks,

I've uploaded my most current dongle to see if this is moving in a better direction. It has cut the channel change time and also handles various pre-delays better. Typically are you changing channels with the arrow keys, through the guide or mini-guide, or by entering the number. There are nuances in how I have to react to gbpvr.

The 8192 buffer size is now the default.

Martin

Martin

jksmurf
2007-04-22, 05:28 AM
I've uploaded my most current dongle to see if this is moving in a better direction.

Had a crack at this one, logs attached. No errors and loaded OK.
But it was a "bit" stuttery on playback, OK in LiveTV except pretty rough/blocky channel changes. Not sabout settinsg page, I chose SPDIF for Audiop and got a Digital" thing on my Stereo, so I think it worked. The channel changes and stuttery playback (low spec PC mine, so emulation working too hard?) makes it not as good as DONGLE_33_25032.BIN atm

k.

mvallevand
2007-04-22, 11:29 AM
Had a crack at this one, logs attached. No errors and loaded OK.
But it was a "bit" stuttery on playback, OK in LiveTV except pretty rough/blocky channel changes. Not sabout settinsg page, I chose SPDIF for Audiop and got a Digital" thing on my Stereo, so I think it worked. The channel changes and stuttery playback (low spec PC mine, so emulation working too hard?) makes it not as good as DONGLE_33_25032.BIN atm

k.

Thanks, I will wait and see if these comments are more 0421 related or not. Certainly channel transitions will always be blockier then with the mvp, but I might have made it worse then necessary.

For audio I was interested to find out if you had any AC3 5:1 source files and if so how they played with the mod.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-22, 11:35 AM
Typically are you changing channels with the arrow keys, through the guide or mini-guide, or by entering the number.

Martin

I have mainly been changing channels by UP/DOWN and entering the channel number. I've attached logs with examples of both. Thanks.

mvallevand
2007-04-22, 11:50 AM
I have mainly been changing channels by UP/DOWN and entering the channel number. I've attached logs with examples of both. Thanks.

Thanks. are these with th 0421 dongle?

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-22, 11:58 AM
Thanks. are these with th 0421 dongle?

Martin

No, they're with the 0415 dongle. I'll download the 0421 dongle now.

Luckerman
2007-04-22, 01:28 PM
Martin, I did some quick testing of the 0421 dongle with Live TV and found the functioning much improved, for the most part. I made channel changes with the number buttons only and the changes were quicker, more precise(audio muted more quickly and almost simultaneously with video on change) and I didn't get any freeze-ups. However, after one channel change the video remained frozen but the audio continued to change to the new channel content. I've included the logs that seem to be relevant; if additional info would be helpful please let me know. Thanks

Luckerman

mvallevand
2007-04-22, 04:41 PM
Martin, I did some quick testing of the 0421 dongle with Live TV and found the functioning much improved, for the most part. I made channel changes with the number buttons only and the changes were quicker, more precise(audio muted more quickly and almost simultaneously with video on change) and I didn't get any freeze-ups. However, after one channel change the video remained frozen but the audio continued to change to the new channel content. I've included the logs that seem to be relevant; if additional info would be helpful please let me know. Thanks

Luckerman

That's great for right now. Feedback from some others will probably be better, given how different your experience has been from the others trying 0415. I am curious if this will turn out to be better or worse in general.

Also, I have never done any testing with scheduled recording events and I think that would be useful, based on what I've saw in your logs. I noticed a lot of RenewLease messages I have never seen amd I'm not sure what this applies to. Are you running the server with a static of dhcp based IP?

Martin

OscarL
2007-04-22, 05:06 PM
We have been running 0415 last week and it has been working great. No problems so far.
One thing that I have noticed though that I think is common for all mvpmc dongles is that the TV settings does not seem to be read from memory at startup from power down (power disconnected).
I thought that one of my mvp's was wrongly setup, I always had to go into setup mode and change output from composite to s-video and to PAL from NTCS so at last I booted it up with the hauppauge server and to my surprise it did start alright now, meaning tv-output was set right when starting with hauappauge sw. Any ideas for that?

Regards
Oscar

sub
2007-04-22, 05:11 PM
I noticed a lot of RenewLease messages I have never seen amd I'm not sure what this applies to.These are fairly normal when the user is watching live tv. GB-PVR leases its tuners to clients. Every thirty seconds they renew those leases. If they dont renew, its assumed they've gone away (crashed, rebooted, etc), and the tuner is returned to the pool.

mvallevand
2007-04-22, 06:55 PM
We have been running 0415 last week and it has been working great. No problems so far.
One thing that I have noticed though that I think is common for all mvpmc dongles is that the TV settings does not seem to be read from memory at startup from power down (power disconnected).

In one of the mvpmc screen logs you sent me PAL mode looked ok.

ie

Sun Mar 25 17:03:18 EDT 2007PAL mode, 720x576
createfont: (height == 0) found builtin font System (0)
createfont: (height == 0) found builtin font System (0)
screen is 720 x 576

This message should be the same before and after power off,
You can confirm with the killall mvpmc
and just run mvpmc (this message is in the dongle version too)

I thought that one of my mvp's was wrongly setup, I always had to go into setup mode and change output from composite to s-video and to PAL from NTCS so at last I booted it up with the hauppauge server and to my surprise it did start alright now, meaning tv-output was set right when starting with hauappauge sw. Any ideas for that?

Regards
Oscar

The only thing I can suggest for now is to add -m pal -o svideo to your dongle.bin.config

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-04-23, 05:49 PM
Hello Martin,

Great job so far! I've been testing for two days now and it's looking very good. I think I have found a small "problem". When I start select a recording, a screen comes up with the options Play, Delete and Close. When I've watched the recording and I press the stop on my remote, the screen I mentioned is still visible and I have to press another key on my remote to make it go away. This does not happen using the Hauppauge dongle.

Best regards!

mvallevand
2007-04-23, 10:35 PM
Hello Martin,

Great job so far! I've been testing for two days now and it's looking very good. I think I have found a small "problem". When I start select a recording, a screen comes up with the options Play, Delete and Close. When I've watched the recording and I press the stop on my remote, the screen I mentioned is still visible and I have to press another key on my remote to make it go away. This does not happen using the Hauppauge dongle.

Just before I start playing a video, I grab a screen capture, which I redisplay after the video finishes. However I believe that mvpmc has a bigger video demuxer so there are a few seconds where gbpvr might send incremental screen updates which I have to ignore. That is what I believe is happening here. My guess is that after 5 seconds this would disappear on its own.

Do you know what plugin or config option is giving you this prompt?

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-04-24, 08:59 AM
This happens with the default recordings plugin. And the screen doesn't disappear on its own. Sometimes I get a black screen in stead of the other screen. In both cases, pressing a key on my remote solves this issue.
Yesterday I also noticed the audio was way out of sync (seconds) after skipping. This happened two times, but I wasn't able to reproduce it.

mvallevand
2007-04-24, 11:26 AM
This happens with the default recordings plugin. And the screen doesn't disappear on its own. Sometimes I get a black screen in stead of the other screen. In both cases, pressing a key on my remote solves this issue.
Thanks, that gives me a good start. It also confirms a related post since I've never actually scheduled or made a recording, I know I have got some more testing to do.

Yesterday I also noticed the audio was way out of sync (seconds) after skipping. This happened two times, but I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Yes this is a problem with 0418 and 0423 (no emulation changes). I haven't determined the cause, but I like the two second channel changes I'm getting too much to turn it back just now and Luckerman didn't have success with 0415. I'm hoping this will be better overall . It should resync with the skip back key until I fix it.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-25, 03:15 AM
I just had a chance to try out the 0423 dongle this evening and it worked very well. Channel changes are snappy, there was no video freezing and no loss of A/V sync. I changed channels in Live TV usning UP/DOWN, numbers and mini-guide and all methods worked equally well.
There were a few glitches. When a recording ended, I had to press a key to return to the plug-in screen. Likewise, when a scheduled recording began I had to press a key to get out of the stopped video. And once changing channels with the number keys I had to press a remote key to finish the channel change. There is still a shadowed screen that precedes the info screen, a little hiccup. But essentially this MVPMC dongle worked just as well for Live TV and playback as the Hauppage dongle, but with quicker channel changes.
Great work, Martin!

pz1
2007-04-25, 07:00 AM
Just for the record: The last few days I did test the 0421 version. On my installation the LiveTV and Video stuff seemed better. I did however encounter a problem with Music Library 2(ML2). After two reboots and a reload of the dongle, the playlists always stopped after playing one (or may be in one occasion) two tracks. I did not observe that in the 0409 version. The standard GBPVR dongle still works fine with ML2.
pz

mvallevand
2007-04-25, 11:33 AM
I just had a chance to try out the 0423 dongle this evening and it worked very well. Channel changes are snappy, there was no video freezing and no loss of A/V sync. I changed channels in Live TV usning UP/DOWN, numbers and mini-guide and all methods worked equally well.
There were a few glitches. When a recording ended, I had to press a key to return to the plug-in screen. Likewise, when a scheduled recording began I had to press a key to get out of the stopped video. And once changing channels with the number keys I had to press a remote key to finish the channel change. There is still a shadowed screen that precedes the info screen, a little hiccup. But essentially this MVPMC dongle worked just as well for Live TV and playback as the Hauppage dongle, but with quicker channel changes.
Great work, Martin!

I'm sure you'd find a few it get out of sync several changes but I'm glad that in general channel changing is improving. The key at the end of video is definitely something I will tackle for the next alpha.

One question what is the info screen?

Thanks for the feedback.

Martin

Luckerman
2007-04-25, 11:41 AM
One question what is the info screen?

I'm referring (inexactly) to the overlay with channel/program info that appears on pause or at channel change.

mvallevand
2007-04-25, 11:42 AM
Just for the record: The last few days I did test the 0421 version. On my installation the LiveTV and Video stuff seemed better. I did however encounter a problem with Music Library 2(ML2). After two reboots and a reload of the dongle, the playlists always stopped after playing one (or may be in one occasion) two tracks. I did not observe that in the 0409 version. The standard GBPVR dongle still works fine with ML2.
pz

Based on your feedback I realised I made a change according to the file size that is invalid that is probably causing this problem. I'll have a look tonight.

As for the two reboots, I find in general emulation works much better when gbpvr jumps into the screen saver when I go into emulation. It might be that gbpvr hasn't initialised everything, or my startup code needs more tweaking (there is definitely one step out of sequence if you check the gbpvr logs) that I will also be looking at when I start with some Hauppauge server testing on the weekend.

Martin

pz1
2007-04-25, 01:22 PM
As for the two reboots, I find in general emulation works much better when gbpvr jumps into the screen saver when I go into emulation. It might be that gbpvr hasn't initialised everything, or my startup code needs more tweaking (there is definitely one step out of sequence if you check the gbpvr logs) that I will also be looking at when I start with some Hauppauge server testing on the weekend.

Martin

Ah, probably I had to express myself better. What I intended to say is:
1) ML2 stops after 1 track
2) Even after a couple, of reboots _to make sure_ that I started with a clean machine (=no history of other actions), I still observed that ML2 stops after 1 track.

Thanks for the reply. I will wait and see for the next release.

pz

mvallevand
2007-04-25, 04:27 PM
I'm referring (inexactly) to the overlay with channel/program info that appears on pause or at channel change.

I think I do this based on the command from gbpvr. There is a menu change with a colour from the config.xml (default 170) which I apply to all the screen. I assume this is some kind of dim command to get your attention. I seem to remember seeing the Hauppauge dongle doing the same thing. The reall annoyance is that it doesn't stay on very long. Maybe sub can tell me what I should be doing with this?

To reduce the annoyance factor if you made it almost transparent set the 170 to 2 or 3 (0 and 1 are reserved!) it would be barely noticable.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-04-26, 12:50 AM
Previously I wrote
The channel changes and stuttery playback (low spec PC mine, so emulation working too hard?) makes it not as good as DONGLE_33_25032.BIN atm (for me) k.

Martin,

I guess there was a question in there :-) ... to me "emulation" implies it is not native f/w running the mvp, but f/w emulating the original mvp functions?

Does this mean that the faster your PC is, the better (read "smoother" the emulation works? I know from long ago that sub noted the mvp response with GBPVR is better with a faster PC, but does emulation mode make this work even harder?

I guess I'm wondering whether my attempts at testing of the dongle (and it does have some great features I would like) is somewhat thwarted at the outset due to my lowly system?

k.

mvallevand
2007-04-26, 02:12 AM
Previously I wrote

Martin,

I guess there was a question in there :-) ... to me "emulation" implies it is not native f/w running the mvp, but f/w emulating the original mvp functions?

With sub's help on graphics side the hardware is now doing most of the real work, but I am emulating what I should do in between gbpvr and mvpmc. It's no doubt not as optimized as hauppauge, I guess a lot but the burden isn't transfered to your server.

Does this mean that the faster your PC is, the better (read "smoother" the emulation works? I know from long ago that sub noted the mvp response with GBPVR is better with a faster PC, but does emulation mode make this work even harder?

A few things could effect performance

1. In looking at your gbpvr logs (not just with mvpmc) I've noticed that you get what I think of as the ping/progress errors because your server can't respond to some heartbeat command fast enough to handle these calls synchronously. I've put some code in mvpmc to avoid these and that might get in the way. There is a command line switch --em-safety and if you pass it 0 all this extra checking is off. There is more chance that a collision will occur and you will get some exits to the mvpmc screen, but you probably get those with the hauppauge dongle. You might want to try this.

2. A slow server will make the OSD slower so I expect this might have some impact.

3. Finally there will some minor stutter between channels changes especially if capturing is slow but I would expect the biggest impact is network throughput. I can open a thread of testing this if you'd like.

I guess I'm wondering whether my attempts at testing of the dongle (and it does have some great features I would like) is somewhat thwarted at the outset due to my lowly system?

k.

I've tested emulation running the linux based vdr-mediamvp on an nslu2 so you've got to have a better machine than this. Unless you are running with some extreme cpu usage I think that mvpmc should work and I should remove the bottlenecks.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-04-26, 02:37 AM
... It's no doubt not as optimized as hauppauge, I guess a lot but the burden isn't transfered to your server...Cool.

.... I've put some code in mvpmc to avoid these and that might get in the way. There is a command line switch --em-safety and if you pass it 0 all this extra checking is off. There is more chance that a collision will occur and you will get some exits to the mvpmc screen, but you probably get those with the hauppauge dongle. You might want to try this.I guess this means issuing some comands via tftp... :o ... I've only ever used it a few times in my life with 1/2 dead routers and bringing my NSLU2 back from the dead, I'll need to read up on it again.

I guess that's why I was chuffed to see the commands in the mvmpc web page, but I understand it doesn't save it?? e.g. start automatically in emulation mode doesn't save? Would this be able (when you get the save working?) to also be able to be issued via that http:// page?

Finally there will some minor stutter between channels changes especially if capturing is slow but I would expect the biggest impact is network throughput. I can open a thread of testing this if you'd like....Oh yes please. Some network Syadmins etc might find this easy, but if it helps your testing (even though it's a bit of an aside) it'd be neat to see what I can do to make it better, although I guess everyone's topology is different. e.g. I run two WRT54GS's in WDS mode to my wired MVP...

...Unless you are running with some extreme cpu usage I think that mvpmc should work and I should remove the bottlenecks. MartinThe only time I have "extreme" CPU usage is after a show has been recorded and comskip is hammering away. I might try the run comskip DURING recording option to avoid this, but otherwise, no, it doesn't get run when we're watching TV.

k.

mvallevand
2007-04-26, 03:21 AM
Cool.

I guess this means issuing some comands via tftp... :o ... I've only ever used it a few times in my life with 1/2 dead routers and bringing my NSLU2 back from the dead, I'll need to read up on it again.

No, to just test it to see if it helps do it via telnet. Login as root then type or cut and paste these
killall mvpmc
mvpmc --emulate ? --startup emulate --em-safety 0 &

I guess that's why I was chuffed to see the commands in the mvmpc web page, but I understand it doesn't save it?? e.g. start automatically in emulation mode doesn't save? Would this be able (when you get the save working?) to also be able to be issued via that http:// page?

Using the mvpmc share option is definitely the easiest solution for know. Don't bother with tftp

Oh yes please. Some network Syadmins etc might find this easy, but if it helps your testing (even though it's a bit of an aside) it'd be neat to see what I can do to make it better, although I guess everyone's topology is different. e.g. I run two WRT54GS's in WDS mode to my wired MVP...

I'll try and make it straight forward and maybe through the web page but you would need the share for the best results.

The only time I have "extreme" CPU usage is after a show has been recorded and comskip is hammering away. I might try the run comskip DURING recording option to avoid this, but otherwise, no, it doesn't get run when we're watching TV.

k.

That's positive.

mvallevand
2007-04-26, 03:27 AM
Ah, probably I had to express myself better. What I intended to say is:
1) ML2 stops after 1 track
2) Even after a couple, of reboots _to make sure_ that I started with a clean machine (=no history of other actions), I still observed that ML2 stops after 1 track.

Thanks for the reply. I will wait and see for the next release.

pz

I've uploaded a new dongle to address the 1 track issue. I'm pretty sure it was the file size problem. As for rebooting the power off really does a good job of cleaning memory, you should rarely have to do more than that unless the video thread really became corrupt.

Martin

pz1
2007-04-26, 11:42 AM
I've uploaded a new dongle to address the 1 track issue. I'm pretty sure it was the file size problem. As for rebooting the power off really does a good job of cleaning memory, you should rarely have to do more than that unless the video thread really became corrupt.

ML2 is happy again.

Bobins
2007-04-26, 08:48 PM
I've been testing the latest dongles (up to 04-26) with Live TV and can't get it to work properly.

Pre delay is set to 600 (default). For testing I'm using a DVB Nova-t 500 tuner and Cyberlink mux.

When I select Live TV, I get the OSD after about 5 seconds then video/audio start ok. If I press channel Up or Down, after about 4-5 seconds the video stops then the screen flashes with the main MVP menu before droping back to the MVPMC menu. Sometimes the MVPMC software will re-start.

If I'm in Live TV and I press a channel number, the OSD appears with the number in the corner for about 3 seconds then the flash of GBPVR menu before dropping back to the mvpmc menu.

Running the standard GBPVR dongle works ok in Live TV.

mvallevand
2007-04-26, 09:26 PM
I've been testing the latest dongles (up to 04-26) with Live TV and can't get it to work properly.....

Running the standard GBPVR dongle works ok in Live TV.

I'm a bit confused because of this post

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=193352&postcount=1

Was that related to mvpmc too?

In any if you are interested in setting up an mvpmc share and doing some debugging via telnet I'd be able to pin point the problem a bit more. Let me know if you are interested.

Edit: Here are instructions on how you would do that

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=186682&postcount=37

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-26, 10:21 PM
Hi,

No the two problems are not related. I have a dedicated WinXP machine for GBPVR and run 3 MVPs. I use the Nova-t 500 dual DVB tuner.

There is a problem with the current GBPVR software /dongle combination which stops responding to MVP remote commands during video playback. There are many posts on this problem. This lead me to try the mvpmc dongle.

When GBPVR is set to DVR-MS format, I transcode on recording completion to mpg and it plays fine on the MVP. If I set GBPVR to use Cyberlink for recording, it loses audio sync 5-10 minutes into the recording. This is why I use DVR-MS and transcode.

For Live TV, the DVR-MS temporary recording file gets transcoded by Trans2mvp (ffmpeg) and the MVP starts playback from the resultant mpg file. At a random time after the start, the playback stops and drops back to the main menu. It can be triggered by a channel change.

Sub said in his initial response that if I want to play Live TV on the MVP, I'd need to set GBPVR to use the Cyberlink mux. That works fine for Live TV on the MVP but as I said above, it's crap for recordings because of the sync loss.

All the testing I've done with mvpmc has been done with the Cyberlink mux selected and I've compared two MVPs side by side. One using GBPVR dongle and the other with the mvpmc dongle.

The dropout when I change channel with the mvpmc dongle gives this entry in the logs:-

MVP playback requested: E:\Buffer\THEHIT~1.MPG (shortname)
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] MVP playback requested: E:\Buffer\The Hitlist On Demand_2_20070426_22000000.mpg (longname)
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] Checking if transcode required
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] getValue cached value: /settings/MvpTranscodeAllVideo : false
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] About to check for MPEG system header
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] Video resolution is 720x576
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] Opening media file: E:\Buffer\The Hitlist On Demand_2_20070426_22000000.mpg
2007-04-26 10:53:48.641 VERBOSE [15] bitrate: 37502
2007-04-26 10:53:49.001 VERBOSE [16] ShowInsetAtLocation(85, 190, 180, 120)
2007-04-26 10:53:49.016 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (7)
2007-04-26 10:53:49.016 VERBOSE [14] Got ACK
2007-04-26 10:53:49.032 VERBOSE [15] Received request to seek to pos:38
2007-04-26 10:53:49.063 VERBOSE [15] Request 200000 bytes (file size:212992 file location: 38)
2007-04-26 10:53:49.126 VERBOSE [16] Y/Y2 buffer: 109505 bytes
2007-04-26 10:53:49.173 VERBOSE [16] U/V buffer: 78913 bytes
2007-04-26 10:53:49.251 VERBOSE [16] incremental frame sent
2007-04-26 10:53:50.016 VERBOSE [16] ShowInsetAtLocation(85, 190, 180, 120)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.048 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:50.048 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (9)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.048 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:50.063 VERBOSE [15] Request 200000 bytes (file size:212992 file location: 200038)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.063 VERBOSE [15] Not all bytes read. Got:12954 Filesize now:212992
2007-04-26 10:53:50.063 VERBOSE [15] End of stream
2007-04-26 10:53:50.079 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (16)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.079 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:50.126 VERBOSE [16] Y/Y2 buffer: 109505 bytes
2007-04-26 10:53:50.188 VERBOSE [16] U/V buffer: 78913 bytes
2007-04-26 10:53:50.251 VERBOSE [15] Request 200000 bytes (file size:212992 file location: 212992)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.251 VERBOSE [15] Not all bytes read. Got:0 Filesize now:212992
2007-04-26 10:53:50.251 VERBOSE [15] End of stream
2007-04-26 10:53:50.266 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (9)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.266 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:50.266 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (9)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.266 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:50.282 VERBOSE [15] MVP Streaming Server received STOP message
2007-04-26 10:53:50.298 VERBOSE [16] incremental frame sent
2007-04-26 10:53:50.954 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (7)
2007-04-26 10:53:50.954 VERBOSE [14] Got ACK
2007-04-26 10:53:51.016 VERBOSE [16] ShowInsetAtLocation(85, 190, 180, 120)
2007-04-26 10:53:51.641 VERBOSE [14] MVP request processed
2007-04-26 10:53:51.641 VERBOSE [14] MVP data read: 1 (3)

Is that any help?

Is the problem the Request for 200000 bytes when the file size is:212992?
followed by

Not all bytes read. Got:12954 Filesize now:212992
2007-04-26 10:53:50.063 VERBOSE [15] End of stream

From the time, I think that's the point it seems to drop out.

Regards,

Ray.

mvallevand
2007-04-26, 10:55 PM
For Live TV, the DVR-MS temporary recording file gets transcoded by Trans2mvp (ffmpeg) and the MVP starts playback from the resultant mpg file. At a random time after the start, the playback stops and drops back to the main menu. It can be triggered by a channel change.

I actually don't have means of testing livetv that is transcoded with ffmeg

All the testing I've done with mvpmc has been done with the Cyberlink mux selected and I've compared two MVPs side by side. One using GBPVR dongle and the other with the mvpmc dongle.

The dropout when I change channel with the mvpmc dongle gives this entry in the logs:-

Your logs don't look like mvpmc is having a problem, but the network or server does seem slow. The log items that I find most interesting with my comments
aree

That's high, I suggest trying something lower.

That's triple what I get on NTSC 4:3 so you definitely need a good network but I'm not sure you have it compare with mine

2007-04-26 06:32:00.336 VERBOSE [10] Y/Y2 buffer: 44795 bytes
2007-04-26 06:32:00.354 VERBOSE [10] U/V buffer: 29407 bytes
2007-04-26 06:32:00.354 VERBOSE [10] incremental frame sent

Those 1/10ths of seconds can add up.

2007-04-26 10:53:49.063 VERBOSE [15]
Request 200000 bytes (file size:212992 file location: 38)

You didn't even get your 600k pre-buffer, the first read is typically 200k and the filesize would be the pre-buffer. Here's what I get

Request 200000 bytes (file size:759744 file location: 38)

Finally you can't stream the next 200000 your read only emptied the prebuffer,
Not all bytes read. Got:12954 Filesize now:212992

No new data is being read and so gbpvr stops. You can look at the mvpmc logs via telnet, but I don't think that you will find any to help you capture data at the required speed.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-04-27, 04:53 AM
I think I have found a small "problem". When I start select a recording, a screen comes up with the options Play, Delete and Close. When I've watched the recording and I press the stop on my remote, the screen I mentioned is still visible and I have to press another key on my remote to make it go away.

When a recording ended, I had to press a key to return to the plug-in screen. Likewise, when a scheduled recording began I had to press a key to get out of the stopped video. And once changing channels with the number keys I had to press a remote key to finish the channel change.

I believe I have trapped the condition that was causing this problem and uploaded yet another alpha. Let's see how 0427 works.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-04-27, 01:26 PM
I believe I have trapped the condition that was causing this problem and uploaded yet another alpha. Let's see how 0427 works.

Martin

Hi Martin,

The screen is gone. Thanks!

Bobins
2007-04-27, 07:55 PM
The reference to DVR-MS & transcode is how I normally run my setup but for testing with mvpmc, I've specifically set GBPVR to record straight to mpg using the Cyberlink mux (so no transcode is involved). Sorry if I'm confusing things.

That's high, I suggest trying something lower.

How do I do that? I'm using whatever the default is.

That's triple what I get on NTSC 4:3 so you definitely need a good network but I'm not sure you have it compare with mine

2007-04-26 06:32:00.336 VERBOSE [10] Y/Y2 buffer: 44795 bytes
2007-04-26 06:32:00.354 VERBOSE [10] U/V buffer: 29407 bytes
2007-04-26 06:32:00.354 VERBOSE [10] incremental frame sent

Those 1/10ths of seconds can add up.

I'm in a PAL region (UK). My network is hardwired Gigabit (obviously the MVPs are not) and the server is an AthlonXP 64 3800. Cpu stats show 5% when recording or playback so it's not breaking into a sweat.

2007-04-26 10:53:49.063 VERBOSE [15]
Request 200000 bytes (file size:212992 file location: 38)

You didn't even get your 600k pre-buffer, the first read is typically 200k and the filesize would be the pre-buffer. Here's what I get

Request 200000 bytes (file size:759744 file location: 38)

This only happens when you change channel in mvpmc.

I've included a complete log where I start watching live tv, wait a minute or so then change channel.

Ray

Bobins
2007-04-27, 09:13 PM
Here's a log with me changing channel with the standard GBPVR dongle (time of change 10.04.34)

You'll notice different entries in the log.

Ray

mvallevand
2007-04-27, 09:29 PM
The reference to DVR-MS & transcode is how I normally run my setup but for testing with mvpmc, I've specifically set GBPVR to record straight to mpg using the Cyberlink mux (so no transcode is involved). Sorry if I'm confusing things.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost on this without the mvpmc side logs. If you you scroll back on this thread I gave you a link to the process to do this.

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-27, 10:41 PM
OK,

I've downloaded the mvpmc file and put it in the same directory as the config file. I issue the kill command and then the /etc/mvpmc.

I get "-sh: /etc/mvpmc: Permission Denied" as a response.

Ray.

mvallevand
2007-04-27, 10:45 PM
OK,

I've downloaded the mvpmc file and put it in the same directory as the config file. I issue the kill command and then the /etc/mvpmc.

I get "-sh: /etc/mvpmc: Permission Denied" as a response.

Ray.

Sorry it's /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc

/etc./mvpmc is the shared folder.

Martin.

Bobins
2007-04-27, 11:09 PM
OK,

Can get mvpmc to start now but selecting emulation mode just causes the software to reboot.

Log says:-

/etc/mvpmc/mvpmc: can't resolve symbol 'av_get_flicker'
child failed, with status 1, restarting...
child pid 296

Ray

mvallevand
2007-04-27, 11:16 PM
OK,

Can get mvpmc to start now but selecting emulation mode just causes the software to reboot.

Log says:-

/etc/mvpmc/mvpmc: can't resolve symbol 'av_get_flicker'
child failed, with status 1, restarting...
child pid 296

Ray

Maybe the problem is you aren't running a recent alpha? av_get_flicker was added in 0414.

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-27, 11:26 PM
I'm running 0427 (0426 yesterday)

mvallevand
2007-04-27, 11:32 PM
I'm running 0427 (0426 yesterday)

Do you mind confirming that? From telnet what does this say

ls -lt /lib/libav.so

You can also confirm this from the tv from the mvpmc main screen on the about screen.

/etc/mvpmc/mvpmc

and just

mvpmc

Should show almost the same date and time.

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-27, 11:50 PM
Checked all dates as requested.

All show 27th April. (Yesterday showed 26th)

Pretty sure I'm using latest alpha

Ray

P.S. going offline now as it's 01:00 here. Will do more testing tomorrow.

mvallevand
2007-04-28, 12:06 AM
Checked all dates as requested.

All show 27th April. (Yesterday showed 26th)

Pretty sure I'm using latest alpha

Ray

P.S. going offline now as it's 01:00 here. Will do more testing tomorrow.

From this It sounds like you might be mixing the mvpmc nightly and the alpha dongle.
Good night.

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-29, 09:38 PM
Yes I'm an idiot and you're right.:o

I've confused the Nightlies and the Alpha update.:confused:

I'll start testing again but this time with the correct Alpha !

Sorry for the confusion.

Ray

pz1
2007-05-10, 06:44 PM
Today I played a bit with dongle alpha 20070508. It is the most stable I had sofar. I have only tested Live TV and Videos, because the previous versions almost all went out of sync after changing channels and running videos. That did not happen in the last 3 hours with this version.
I noted one thing: The text of the TV Guide disappears, and only the video inset is visisble after a few seconds. Pressing the navigation keys do bring back the TV Guide information.

mvallevand
2007-05-10, 10:48 PM
Today I played a bit with dongle alpha 20070508. It is the most stable I had sofar. I have only tested Live TV and Videos, because the previous versions almost all went out of sync after changing channels and running videos. That did not happen in the last 3 hours with this version.
I'm glad that the stability is improving. The credit really should go to sub, gbpvr 99.12 is incredibly predictable. which made emulating the Hauppauge dongle a lot easier.

I noted one thing: The text of the TV Guide disappears, and only the video inset is visisble after a few seconds. Pressing the navigation keys do bring back the TV Guide information.

I don't fully understand what the problem is. I know if you use inset video on the first video before using any OSD gbpvr doesn't send a screen update but this happens just once. Is that the problem?

Martin

pz1
2007-05-11, 06:22 AM
I don't fully understand what the problem is. I know if you use inset video on the first video before using any OSD gbpvr doesn't send a screen update but this happens just once. Is that the problem?
Martin
What I see is that in TV guide the screen goes completely black except for the small video window in the lower left corner. If I leave the system untouched, I see every 5 seconds or so a short flash of the TV Guide content on screen. After I touch one of the up/down left/right keys, the TV guide content appears for a 5 second period, but then disappears again. (the 5 seconds are a rough guess). I did not notice this with the ealier versions, or with the standard dongle. I could check an older version if that helps?

HtV
2007-05-11, 12:53 PM
I tried the 5-08 dongle. I really am impressed, couldn't get it to crash:mad: ;) . I created the mvpmc-share with the config in it to auto-start emulation mode, bingo worked right away.
Only thing I noticed is that the volume button on the mvp-remote doesn't work, is this on purpose? This is fine with me as I always use the volume on the tv or amp. Just thought I'd mention it.
I think I'm gonna use it as default with gbpvr, had some troubles lately with other dongles and the remote and with unwanted disconnects from the server. We'll see how it goes on the longer run.
Thanks alot for the hard work.
cya Hans

pz1
2007-05-11, 03:43 PM
Only thing I noticed is that the volume button on the mvp-remote doesn't work, is this on purpose?
cya Hans

For me the volume button works. Do we get personalised bugs? ;)

HtV
2007-05-11, 04:07 PM
Do we get personalised bugs? ;)
Looks like it.
Maybe it's something in the settings.

Did you see the reply in the other thread, about the autostarting emulating mode?

mvallevand
2007-05-11, 06:05 PM
What I see is that in TV guide the screen goes completely black except for the small video window in the lower left corner. If I leave the system untouched, I see every 5 seconds or so a short flash of the TV Guide content on screen. After I touch one of the up/down left/right keys, the TV guide content appears for a 5 second period, but then disappears again. (the 5 seconds are a rough guess). I did not notice this with the ealier versions, or with the standard dongle. I could check an older version if that helps?

Thanks, that helped and I've uploaded a fix for this. I was working with the Hauppauge server and I put in a change to erase their OSD alpha screens after 5 seconds without a change because it annoyed me. I've special cased the code to the Hauppauge.

For me the volume button works. Do we get personalised bugs? ;)

There should be plenty to go around. :)

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-11, 08:29 PM
Only thing I noticed is that the volume button on the mvp-remote doesn't work, is this on purpose? This is fine with me as I always use the volume on the tv or amp. Just thought I'd mention it.

I realize what's happening here. There is a little bug (I think in gbpvr) because with the new Hauppauge remotes GBPVR sends two vol. up/down commands to mvpmc when they vol +/- key is pushed. Figuring I'd be tricky I added the volume change code on the key press. Trouble with this is the old style remotes (I'm assuming like yours) don't have the dedicated volume keys, so my fix wasn't so good. I've coded it properly now and I just ignore a duplicate volume command and this is now uploaded in the alpha.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-11, 11:11 PM
Ok, Martin
Downloaded the latest alpha (5-11), the volume works ok now, although I won't use it.:)
One thing I saw(once or twice): there was a small piece of the gbpvr-main-menu showing through/ontop-of the guide. A button press made it disappear.
I've been using your dongle today, almost the whole day. It's great, it didn't reboot or whatever once.
The posibility to autostart it in emulating mode makes it ready for normal use (well...what I think is normal;) )
I really am very happy with this.

cya Hans

HtV
2007-05-11, 11:16 PM
Trouble with this is the old style remotes (I'm assuming like yours) don't have the dedicated volume keys, so my fix wasn't so good. I've coded it properly now and I just ignore a duplicate volume command and this is now uploaded in the alpha.

Martin

I forgot this: my remote does have dedicated volume keys. But as I said in the previous post they are working now. So,.....your assumption may have been wrong, the solution was right. I think it's more often the other way round.:)

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 12:01 AM
I forgot this: my remote does have dedicated volume keys. But as I said in the previous post they are working now. So,.....your assumption may have been wrong, the solution was right. I think it's more often the other way round.:)

cya Hans
That's really strange if you say you have the remote on the right here http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/remote
but as you say it works.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-12, 12:17 AM
Mea culpa Mea culpa,

You are right of course, I have the one on the left (edited). Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry to bother you with stuff like this. Should have been in bed..........wife is on holiday, nice bottle of wine, you can draw the picture.:rolleyes:

cya Hans

jksmurf
2007-05-12, 08:27 AM
Martin,
Tried your Alpha dongle.bin 2007-05-11 today.

Cool! Much better than last months's one, excellent work. FF works, comskip works!

Some observations and a log for you:

Unlike Htv, I did get it to crash once, but not repeatably. I watched a show in Xrecord than backed out using the back button on the MVP remote (I have the RH in THAT pic) and it went out of the s/w and restarted mvpmc. Logs attached. (btw does mvpmc have it's own set or uses the ones in GBPVR?)
In settings I could change Composite to Svideo and it retained the setting on subsequent starts. However SPDIF pass
thought was NOT retained?
Startup after first loading the dongle was very quick, just like my Haup dongle. If I turn it off using the green power button and try turning it on again, these subsequent tries went to attempt 14/30 approx, however I have also noticed this extended startup time behaviour (without try count obviously) with the Haup Dongle. (DONGLE_33_25032.BIN).
There is some very occasional tearing on fast sport scenes that (at least I can't remember) that I have seen with the Haup dongle. Could your dongle do this?
Channel changes in liveTV are much faster than last month's dongles, although there a few very minor blocky bits still. Much better though. Funny thing is however that it stops the video, you hear audio from NEXT channel (i.e. it has already changed channel), then you see the numbers changing the channel via the USBUIRT, THEN the video comes up?
Lastly, pressing the BLUE button (on that RHS remote, which normally brings up the OSD immediately), FIRST goes very DARK momentarily, then lightens up and shows the OSD?I haven't managed to get emulation mode to auto-boot yet, did the share c:\mvpmc and wrote the config thingy. I need to read the WIKI some more!

Cheers,

k.

pz1
2007-05-12, 08:32 AM
[4]Startup after first loading the dongle was very quick, just like my Haup dongle. If I turn it off using the green power button and try turning it on again, these subsequent tries went to attempt 14/30 approx, however I have also noticed this extended startup time behaviour (without try count obviously) with the Haup Dongle. (DONGLE_33_25032.BIN).

I had the same problem. Somebody suggested to me to let GBPVR (MVP tab) start two MVP service processes. That solved the problem.

pz1
2007-05-12, 08:38 AM
Thanks, that helped and I've uploaded a fix for this. I was working with the Hauppauge server and I put in a change to erase their OSD alpha screens after 5 seconds without a change because it annoyed me. I've special cased the code to the Hauppauge.
Martin

Tried it intensely for half an hour switching a lot. It only failed once on a video, but I think that is a GBPVR or other problem.
For now this seems the most stable dongle in my setup. So I have to get autostart emulation to work. I'll report on that further in the other thread.

HtV
2007-05-12, 09:18 AM
Martin,
Startup after first loading the dongle was very quick, just like my Haup dongle. If I turn it off using the green power button and try turning it on again, these subsequent tries went to attempt 14/30 approx, however I have also noticed this extended startup time behaviour (without try count obviously) with the Haup Dongle. (DONGLE_33_25032.BIN).
k.

This happens because when you turn off the mvp it takes quite a while before gbpvr notices that the mvp is down and restarts the mvp-server.
When you start 2 servers you are back immediately, connected to the other server.
I must admit you did some more thorough testing than I did so found a few more glitches, but I think it's a remarkable piece of work.

cya Hans

jksmurf
2007-05-12, 12:01 PM
This happens because when you turn off the mvp it takes quite a while before gbpvr notices that the mvp is down and restarts the mvp-server.
When you start 2 servers you are back immediately, connected to the other server.
I must admit you did some more thorough testing than I did so found a few more glitches, but I think it's a remarkable piece of work.

cya Hans

Don't get me wrong, Martin has weaved some awesome magic with this. He just needs feedback.... that's where we come in... :-)
Cool, thanks HtV. Is there any downside to TWO of these instances? Will TWO trayicons appear :-)

k.

HtV
2007-05-12, 03:10 PM
Is there any downside to TWO of these instances? Will TWO trayicons appear :-)

Hi JK, No I didn't get you wrong;) .
I guess you mean the mvp-tray-icon, I don't know how many show up. I do know that it eats extra memory.:( But the recovery from a disconnect/restart is almost instant.:)

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 10:23 PM
Martin,
Tried your Alpha dongle.bin 2007-05-11 today.

Cool! Much better than last months's one, excellent work. FF works, comskip works! Some observations and a log for you:

Thanks k, I don't really understand your MVP* logs, it looks like the transcoding is failing and the server is disconnecting but I've never seen anything like it with my sample files. I probably would need one to see for myself.

Unlike Htv, I did get it to crash once, but not repeatably. I watched a show in Xrecord than backed out using the back button on the MVP remote (I have the RH in THAT pic) and it went out of the s/w and restarted mvpmc. Logs attached.

Actually I realize that using the back key as stop is not a good idea with emulation mode right now. I never really tested it and I have to fix it so use the stop key.

(btw does mvpmc have it's own set or uses the ones in GBPVR?)

Yes it can but it requires the configuration of a network share. They do help me a lot.

In settings I could change Composite to Svideo and it retained the setting on subsequent starts. However SPDIF pass thought was NOT retained?

mvpmc never "saves" settings. Composite vs svideo is from flash. If the hardware detection for passthru isn't working you will need the command line -o passthru

As mentioned the extra autostart does help, but in reality it should only impact you during testing, since most of the time you won't power off and on in the period that is causing the problem. There is a small memory footprint, probably dependent on your plugins and you only get debug logging on the first session, which can be good or bad, debug output can impact performance.

There is some very occasional tearing on fast sport scenes that (at least I can't remember) that I have seen with the Haup dongle. Could your dongle do this?

More than anything else network speed would cause video problems. Any tearing problems I saw, were fixed when I lowered the mvp priority in the config.xml

Channel changes in liveTV are much faster than last month's dongles, although there a few very minor blocky bits still. Much better though. Funny thing is however that it stops the video, you hear audio from NEXT channel (i.e. it has already changed channel), then you see the numbers changing the channel via the USBUIRT, THEN the video comes up?

I tried not to delay the stream at all so the first second or so can be odd. If you are seeing the numbers on the mvp screen you probably should turn off the level of OSD detail, this might make your performance worse.

Lastly, pressing the BLUE button (on that RHS remote, which normally brings up the OSD immediately), FIRST goes very DARK momentarily, then lightens up and shows the OSD?

I think I talked about this before with someone else. I treat the menu change command from gbpvr as a screen dim, since I don't know what else sub wants me to do with it.

I haven't managed to get emulation mode to auto-boot yet, did the share c:\mvpmc and wrote the config thingy. I need to read the WIKI some more!

Actually I hope that if this dongle starts working for GBPVR users someone updates the mvpmc wiki, it is decidedly mthtv centric.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-13, 09:32 AM
Thanks k, I don't really understand your MVP* logs, it looks like the transcoding is failing and the server is disconnecting but I've never seen anything like it with my sample files. I probably would need one to see for myself.LOL, OK. You emulator folks ... :-)

Actually I realize that using the back key as stop is not a good idea with emulation mode right now. I never really tested it and I have to fix it so use the stop key.OK

Yes it can but it requires the configuration of a network share. They do help me a lot.Is that the same share where the dongle.bin.config resides C:\mvpmc ? if so, how do I do the log thingy for you?

mvpmc never "saves" settings. Composite vs svideo is from flash. If the hardware detection for passthru isn't working you will need the command line -o passthruHm. OK. When I first installed it, composite was the default. Then Svideo was the default after I changed the setting in settings, and it didn't change back. SPDIF did. That's why I thought it saved it....

As mentioned the extra autostart does help, but in reality it should only impact you during testing, since most of the time you won't power off and on in the period that is causing the problem. There is a small memory footprint, probably dependent on your plugins and you only get debug logging on the first session, which can be good or bad, debug output can impact performance.OK

More than anything else network speed would cause video problems. Any tearing problems I saw, were fixed when I lowered the mvp priority in the config.xmlOK. Thought so :-). Wireless...

I tried not to delay the stream at all so the first second or so can be odd. If you are seeing the numbers on the mvp screen you probably should turn off the level of OSD detail, this might make your performance worse.OK.

I think I talked about this before with someone else. I treat the menu change command from gbpvr as a screen dim, since I don't know what else sub wants me to do with it. OK...sub?

Actually I hope that if this dongle starts working for GBPVR users someone updates the mvpmc wiki, it is decidedly mthtv centric.OK. Still working in it. pz1's settings re Guest not in my machine, so it's not that... will keep trying dongle.bin.config!

k.

pz1
2007-05-13, 10:19 AM
I do know that it eats extra memory.:( But the recovery from a disconnect/restart is almost instant.:)

On my machine I have 2 GPBVR processes, each eating about 110-120 Kb.

HtV
2007-05-13, 02:12 PM
On my machine I have 2 GPBVR processes, each eating about 110-120 Kb.

I guess that should be 110-12 MB:p

mvallevand
2007-05-13, 02:23 PM
Is that the same share where the dongle.bin.config resides C:\mvpmc ? if so, how do I do the log thingy for you?

Heres' a link to the instructions.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=186682&postcount=37

If you have any problems let me know

Thanks,

Martin

pz1
2007-05-13, 03:06 PM
I guess that should be 110-12 MB:p

I never look at a couple of zeroes ;)

jksmurf
2007-05-14, 06:06 AM
More than anything else network speed would cause video problems. Any tearing problems I saw, were fixed when I lowered the mvp priority in the config.xml

Why would lowering this in config.xml help the MVP tearing? I made mine force HIGH priority as I thought it improved things?

k.

mvallevand
2007-05-14, 12:12 PM
Why would lowering this in config.xml help the MVP tearing? I made mine force HIGH priority as I thought it improved things?

I'm only guessing that this setting caused a deadlock or internal error condition in gbpvr that is more expensive cpu wise than with it off. Since I only noticed it on Vista with a faster cpu, it might not be the same for you.

As for tearing itself there could be something in the mpeg causing the too, so I could look at a sample.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-15, 03:14 PM
I never look at a couple of zeroes ;)
That's what those fellows at Pearl Harbour said...

petewxm
2007-05-16, 07:57 PM
Hi Martin,

I`ve just updated from the alpha dongle dated 04 may 2007 to the 11th of May 2007 and now live TV stutters and the voice sync is out, can you please look at this.

Thanks

Pete

petewxm
2007-05-16, 08:14 PM
Hi Ignore the previous post just tried the original dongle and its doing the samething, so its a problem with my pc,

Just got to find out what now :(

Cheers

Pete

pz1
2007-05-17, 07:38 AM
Martin, others,
I should have mentioned this before: When I am watching Live TV and than press the menu button on the remote the TV guide is black except for a tiny video inset in the left lower corner. Pushing menu two more times brings up the TV Guide. If I start an other channel from within the TV-Guide and continue to do so the problem has gone. All subsequent menu-pushes immediately bring up the menu. It is not a major thing and it does not bother me to much.
Have you or others also observed this phenomenon? If so, I can do some more testing with different scenarios.

HtV
2007-05-17, 08:34 AM
Pieter, I see the same behaviour.
Another thing I noticed: When watching livetv, push go-back to go to the mvpmc-menu, then select emulate again. it connects to the 2nd server (I started 2 :) ) but it only gives me a black screen (sometimes). I think it only happens when doing this in livetv. If I stop/exit livetv first, then goto mvpmc menu, emulate again, the gbpvr-screen comes up ok.
I also noticed that exiting livetv sometimes restarts the mvp. But not all of the time.
But I think Martin mentioned that there were exit-button issues.

pz1
2007-05-17, 08:39 AM
Another thing I noticed: When watching livetv, push go-back to go to the mvpmc-menu, then select emulate again. it connects to the 2nd server (I started 2 :) ) but it only gives me a black screen (sometimes). I think it only happens when doing this in livetv. If I stop/exit livetv first, then goto mvpmc menu, emulate again, the gbpvr-screen comes up ok.
I also noticed that exiting livetv sometimes restarts the mvp. But not all of the time.

Thanks, I will do some additional testing on my machine over the weekend.
Pieter

jksmurf
2007-05-17, 08:43 AM
But I think Martin mentioned that there were exit-button issues.Aye, he did (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196310&postcount=138).

Actually I realize that using the back key as stop is not a good idea with emulation mode right now. I never really tested it and I have to fix it so use the stop key. Martin

k.

HtV
2007-05-17, 09:22 AM
Ok, thanks for confirming JK.

Just for info: I went back to the hauppauge dongle (dd 1-2-07). It worked quite well for me before, and with 2 servers started everything is working fine and I'm prepared for eventual disconnects/necessary restarts.
I think reaction speed is better than in mvpmc. Afaik until now that wasn't really a big concern for Martin, because it's still in testing phase.
But I will certainly try new dongles.
cya Hans

pz1
2007-05-17, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by HtV
But I think Martin mentioned that there were exit-button issues
Aye, he did (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196310&postcount=138).
k.

Please note that the problem I reported is with the menu-button

HtV
2007-05-17, 09:42 AM
Please note that the problem I reported is with the menu-button

Yes I know, maybe I wasn't clear enough. But I meant to say that I have that "problem" too.

Another thing I noticed: When........................

Cya Hans

tkgafs
2007-05-17, 02:16 PM
Martin,

very strange behaviour last night and seems to have just been a once off.

I started up the mvp after reloading my server

started playing music , but when the screen saver kicked in the music stopped.

naturally I was a bit perplexed by this and pressed go go on the remote to see if the mvp thought it was playing and as soon as the screen refreshed the music started again, from where it had paused.

using the 11th of May dongle

forgot to look at logs but they will probably still be there if you are interested

Tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-05-17, 04:45 PM
Martin, others,
I should have mentioned this before: When I am watching Live TV and than press the menu button on the remote the TV guide is black except for a tiny video inset in the left lower corner. Pushing menu two more times brings up the TV Guide. If I start an other channel from within the TV-Guide and continue to do so the problem has gone. All subsequent menu-pushes immediately bring up the menu. It is not a major thing and it does not bother me to much.
Have you or others also observed this phenomenon? If so, I can do some more testing with different scenarios.

This might be a PAL issue I will check tonight. It's really strange it drops right to the tiny window, for me it does drop the the 1/4 sized on.

I know there is an issue the first time the menu is pushed after a power on, but it is fixed if hit menu/menu and it never returns. I don't know if this is emulation or not.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-17, 04:47 PM

The problem I mentionned is with using Back instead of Stop, I still don't handle that.

There is also a problem that Go Back sometimes crashes and restarts mvpmc. Definitely best to hit stop first if a/v is playing but other problems can occur.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-17, 04:49 PM
Ok, thanks for confirming JK.

Just for info: I went back to the hauppauge dongle (dd 1-2-07). It worked quite well for me before, and with 2 servers started everything is working fine and I'm prepared for eventual disconnects/necessary restarts.
I think reaction speed is better than in mvpmc. Afaik until now that wasn't really a big concern for Martin, because it's still in testing phase.
But I will certainly try new dongles.
cya Hans

Thanks for all your help. If you want to trade responsiveness for stability with mvpmc and gbpvr use the command line option --em-safety 0 It will be more like the Hauppauge dongle but it will definitely stop more too.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-17, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all your help. If you want to trade responsiveness for stability with mvpmc and gbpvr use the command line option --em-safety 0 It will be more like the Hauppauge dongle but it will definitely stop more too.

Martin

Ok might try that sometime. Thanks anyway for all the time and info you are sharing.

Hans

mvallevand
2007-05-18, 03:28 AM

Hans, I think I've isolated part of the problem to the skin that Pieter uses, ContourHC, which seems to support a very small livetv window on the bottom right side as opposed to the 1/8 size window on the left side of the default blue skin that I am used to seeing. I have some work do do with this on the positioning of this tv window. (As it turns out countourHC has some problems with the size and location of the video inset window, it doens't show on the Hauppauge dongle either)

What skin do you use?

Martin

HtV
2007-05-18, 08:47 AM
Hi Martin,

I'll try to describe what I see when I push home/menu during livetv.
I see the video-inset on the middle/right side of the screen but the rest of the screen is black. If I push menu again 2x the screen is ok.

I think I was "triggered" mainly by the fact that Pieter also got a black screen with video-inset. That made me overlook the differences.
I read Pieters initial post again, it's still a bit confusing to me: when you push menu during livetv you are supposed to get the menu, not the guide, right?

Pieter:

I should have mentioned this before: When I am watching Live TV and than press the menu button on the remote the TV guide is black except for a tiny video inset in the left lower corner. Pushing menu two more times brings up the TV Guide.

Well I hope you got the relevant info out of it.:)

cya Hans

pz1
2007-05-18, 11:22 AM
I read Pieters initial post again, it's still a bit confusing

Sorry, it is just wrong what I said. I had the machine switched of because we had guests over who were using my 'GBPVR server room' (That's the luxury you get when the kids have left home :D ). So the machine was off, and I did not properly check the events. It is indeed the menu as Hans says, and indeed the video inset is at the right hand side.

HtV
2007-05-18, 11:47 AM
Well, that's from 2 problems down to 1.:)

mvallevand
2007-05-18, 12:12 PM
Sorry, it is just wrong what I said. I had the machine switched of because we had guests over who were using my 'GBPVR server room' (That's the luxury you get when the kids have left home :D ). So the machine was off, and I did not properly check the events. It is indeed the menu as Hans says, and indeed the video inset is at the right hand side.

That helps so much, I spent 1/2 hour trying to get the TV Guide to come up with the menu key. I also spent another 2 hours fighting with Vista and the Hauppauge drivers trying to get NTSC back for live tv after using PAL on the composite in but that's another story.

I think the blank screen problem is because gbpvr is assuming something is already on screen that I must clear. It's not a simple thing, I think you will find if you hit pause/unpause and then menu, the screen will not be blank because gbpvr sends an alpha channel update to this buffer. I'm basically trying to hunt down what clear I am doing incorrectly.

The problem I thought was the issue relates to countourHC. If you see this image from the wiki http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/uploads/Skin/chc_tvguide.jpg
the inset video is at the bottom right, and mvpmc (and as I found out) the Hauppauge dongle show it at the right but there is a place for it. I can hard code it to show there but I can't do it based on the numbers that I get.

There is another problem because the mvpmc emulation screen is slightly offset to the right but that has been an issue since I started this. It is most noticable with the tiny video inset because it displays a little bit to the left of the screen.

Down from 2 to 1 but reallly there are 3 problems on my list.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-18, 12:17 PM
That helps so much, I spent 1/2 hour trying to get the TV Guide to come up with the menu key. I also spent another 2 hours fighting with Vista and the Hauppauge drivers trying to get NTSC back for live tv after using PAL on the composite in but that's another story.
Martin
Martin, I really feel embarrased. My apologies for the inconvenience
Pieter

pz1
2007-05-18, 01:16 PM
The problem I thought was the issue relates to countourHC. If you see this image from the wiki http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/uploads/Skin/chc_tvguide.jpg
the inset video is at the bottom right, and mvpmc (and as I found out) the Hauppauge dongle show it at the right but there is a place for it. I can hard code it to show there but I can't do it based on the numbers that I get.

Well maybe I should change to the default skin. ContourHC itself has not been updated for more than a year.

HtV
2007-05-18, 01:27 PM
Just to be complete: I use the blue skin.

mvallevand
2007-05-18, 04:05 PM
Martin, I really feel embarrased. My apologies for the inconvenience
Pieter

Embarrasing would be me trying to reply to you in Dutch. I stayed 3 weeks in The Netherlands and I actually started to pick it up a tiny, tiny bit, but that was a long time ago, and I couldn't even go to the bar and order a beer or to the drug store for licorice anymore.

BTW I didn't notice any problem with the Countour skin so I wouldn't worry about it.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-05-19, 06:26 PM
Martin,

very strange behaviour last night and seems to have just been a once off.

I started up the mvp after reloading my server

started playing music , but when the screen saver kicked in the music stopped.

naturally I was a bit perplexed by this and pressed go go on the remote to see if the mvp thought it was playing and as soon as the screen refreshed the music started again, from where it had paused.

using the 11th of May dongle

forgot to look at logs but they will probably still be there if you are interested

Tkgafs

Martin,

I can now confirm this is not a one off problem but has now happened several times.

The problem has only started since I changed to the 11th May dongle.

It is intermittent and unpredictable but basically appears as either the first track stops playing when the screen saver kicks in but if just press a button on the remote so the screen saver goes off then the music restarts from where it was actually playing, or sometimes the next track in a playlist simply doesnt start when the previous one ends when this happens you have to go into the ML2 playlist and press skip backwards then skip forwards and once again the music starts playing.

I have spent the day running gbpvr in debug mode, ML2 with insane amounts of logging, and running your test dongle capturing the putty log and of course the problem has not occured.

But I have noticed that the display in the putty output always show the same size and bit rate for the mp3 file " bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0"

which is not the correct size or bit rate for the mp3
for example the first track is 3536kb with a bit rate of 160

not sure if any of this is relevant though !!

extract from putty log follows

output thread started
Starting rfb timer
c ss timeout 49 mode 30 un1 30 un2 0
20 ss timeout 0 mode 0 un1 0 un2 0
18:12:24 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\ELVISP~1\20-CAN~1.MP3'
3620657 Remaining 2075209
Done with audio file
18:15:25 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\CALEXI~1\06-SUN~1.MP3'
3735552 Remaining 1960314
Done with audio file
18:18:08 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\LINDSA~1\09-PRI~1.MP3'
1116076 Remaining 4579790
Done with audio file
18:18:54 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\Eno\INSTRU~1\CD1\28-DRI~1.MP3'
3649536 Remaining 2046330
Done with audio file

Anything you want me to try to locate the problem

Tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-05-19, 07:07 PM
Martin,

I can now confirm this is not a one off problem but has now happened several times.

Sorry I didn't reply to your original post. I have been looking into it from the symptoms it didn't sound like it would be "one-of" but I haven't found what would cause the deadlock.

It is intermittent and unpredictable but basically appears as either the first track stops playing when the screen saver kicks in but if just press a button

This is what I've been testing, but I haven't had it happen in about 20 attempts. I will have more time tonight. The Americans like hockey in the afternoon.

I have spent the day running gbpvr in debug mode, ML2 with insane amounts of logging, and running your test dongle capturing the putty log and of course the problem has not occured.

Rather then server side, to really diagnose this the mvpmc client side debug logs are probably necessary. There some instructions around that I would have to find.

But I have noticed that the display in the putty output always show the same size and bit rate for the mp3 file " bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0"

That's just a perk of gbpvr. It caused me a problems in emulation a year ago because I kept waiting for those remaining bytes, but I understand the protocol better now and don't need it. It's also too bad that this is shortnames, I could add fancy stuff to the vfd http://www.mvpmc.org/mvpmc_hardware_howto.html#s9

Thanks for the feedback, and again sorry for not replying earlier. The game is about to restart ...

Martin

tkgafs
2007-05-19, 11:31 PM
Hi Martin,

after several hours the freeze happened.

I pressed go go to activate screen to see the title of the track

when the screen saver re-activated the music paused

the following was in the putty.log

Done with audio file
23:22:21 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\FRANZF~1\07-ELE~1.MP3'
mvpmc: read: Bad address
Error updating screen
Skipped 2 bytes
mvpmc: unknown message type 120 from VNC server
Error updating screen
Skipped 1071 bytes
4095719 Remaining 1600147
Done with audio file
23:25:49 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\VARIOU~1\GREATE~1\CD1\21-CHR~1.MP3'

one attachment is from gbpvr debug level log, the time on the mvp seems to be about 41mins slower than the server time [can it use ntp by the way]

so the gbpvr time is approx 12:03

the other is from musiclibrary2 covering the same period

hope this helps

tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-05-20, 03:19 AM
Hi Martin,

after several hours the freeze happened.

I pressed go go to activate screen to see the title of the track

23:22:21 bps 192 length 5695866 dropoff 0
Starting to play audio file 'Q:\Music\Include\FRANZF~1\07-ELE~1.MP3'
mvpmc: read: Bad address
Error updating screen
Skipped 2 bytes
mvpmc: unknown message type 120 from VNC server
Error updating screen

Thanks. Those skipped 2 bytes are the same things that caused all the ping problem up to now, also shown in the gpbvr logs, (the ping corrupts the video buffer)

2007-05-20 12:03:19.187 VERBOSE [25] MVP data read: 1 (9)
2007-05-20 12:03:19.187 VERBOSE [25] MVP request processed
2007-05-20 12:03:19.234 VERBOSE [27] Y/Y2 buffer: 2674 bytes
2007-05-20 12:03:19.250 VERBOSE [25] MVP data read: 1 (8)
2007-05-20 12:03:19.250 VERBOSE [25] Responding to ping
2007-05-20 12:03:19.250 VERBOSE [25] MVP request processed
2007-05-20 12:03:19.296 VERBOSE [27] U/V buffer: 1072 bytes
2007-05-20 12:03:19.296 VERBOSE [27] incremental frame sent

It isn't completely an mvpmc problem, but I thought I had handled them all. This will help me quite a bit thanks. It make sense to free anything waiting for the ping when these errors come up. There is a new alpha to address this.

one attachment is from gbpvr debug level log, the time on the mvp seems to be about 41mins slower than the server time [can it use ntp by the way]
so the gbpvr time is approx 12:03

FYI, without actually setting the mvp's time to an ntp time source in the dongle.bin.config script the times will not typically match

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-20, 04:05 AM

I think I have addressed this in the 0520 alpha. Let me know how it works for you. If this works and tkgafs's problems improve a bit, I want to open a round 4 thread.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-20, 10:58 AM
I think I have addressed this in the 0520 alpha. Let me know how it works for you. If this works and tkgafs's problems improve a bit, I want to open a round 4 thread.

Martin

will give it a try tonight or tomorrow.
Pieter

HtV
2007-05-20, 12:45 PM
I gave the latest alpha(20-05) a try:

-when you go from livetv to menu now works ok, video in inset onnthe right.
-But when from there you go to recordings, you get the little inset on the lower right, ok. When you start a recording it starts in the little window and you can't stop or pause it, if you push the menu button you go back to the menu (with inset), menu button again, you get fullscreen video:) , but no buttons work anymore. Then the mvp locks up with a still from the video. Only way out is restart mvp. I tested this several times.
Now I got kicked off the tv. So no more testing for the moment.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-05-20, 01:57 PM
I gave the latest alpha(20-05) a try:

-when you go from livetv to menu now works ok, video in inset onnthe right.
-But when from there you go to recordings, you get the little inset on the lower right, ok. When you start a recording it starts in the little window and you can't stop or pause it, if you push the menu button you go back to the menu (with inset), menu button again, you get fullscreen video:) , but no buttons work anymore. Then the mvp locks up with a still from the video. Only way out is restart mvp. I tested this several times.
Now I got kicked off the tv. So no more testing for the moment.

cya Hans

Thanks Hans, none of this behaviour is new and I thought it was the same with the Hauppauge dongle. This is on a list of things I test all the time. With the Hauppauge dongle I didn't think any keys other than menu navigation worked while in inset mode and they also seem to queue up and when you return to full screen a lot of unpredictable things happen.

I also found mvpmc wasn't hung it just has to wait a while for gbpvr to start re-streaming and it can take 10 seconds or more.

I haven't done a lot of comparison with the Hauppauge dongle on this recently because inset video doesn't work as well for me on Vista.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-20, 07:44 PM
Thanks Hans, none of this behaviour is new and I thought it was the same with the Hauppauge dongle.

I didn't know that, I never use the menukey :o , I only use the menukey now while testing the mvpmc-dongle. To be honest, until a few days ago I was under the impression that I had turned off the inset-video. Must have been turned on again when I did a complete re-install a while ago. I do know that I turned it off then because it gave me trouble, well that makes sense now.
If the tv-set is available I'll try out the hauppauge dongle on this.

I also found mvpmc wasn't hung it just has to wait a while for gbpvr to start re-streaming and it can take 10 seconds or more

This could very well be true, I don't think I waited that long, probably pushed some more buttons.:)

But as I said the black screen with the video-inset is cured.:)

cya Hans

pz1
2007-05-21, 05:18 AM
As expected for me the black screen with the video-inset has been cured too.

mvallevand
2007-05-21, 11:42 AM
As expected for me the black screen with the video-inset has been cured too.

Pieter/Hans thanks a lot. The problem wasn't quite how I described it, it relates more my misunderstanding of the logic of how and when to request screen updates while video is playing.

Martin

Satori
2007-05-21, 06:32 PM
I just loaded the 5-11 dongle (yes, I am one behind) and had a chance to try it out. I noticed a couple things:

I have not been able to get the MVP to enter emulation mode directly from power on, but it is my own fault. I have to go through the fixes on that thread before I say there is a problem.
WOL worked the first time I tried it, but not the next. The first time it went through all 30 attempts, dropped back to the main menu, and when I selected emulation mode again it went directly to GBPVR. The next day I tried again and it never made it past the "attempting to connect" screen. It would go back to the main menu after 30 attempts. I will try adding "--em-wolwt 10" to my config file once I get that working. 10 secs seems like the time it takes my server to wake from standby, but I may lengthen it if it doesn't work.
After I play recorded videos I end up at a black screen. Pressing stop or end gets me back to the menu but it doesn't go back there directly.
The key presses are definitely slower than the 99.12 dongle and seem to "stall" every once and awhile. At one point I stacked up 3-4 button presses that executed all at once.

Overall it seemed very stable. I played live tv, listened to music with ML2, looked at my photos, etc. Color/brightness was good (but it is with 99.12 also). Volume/mute worked well.
I am not sure how much time I will have to tweak my setup this week, but if anyone has suggestions about the above questions I will implement them when I have a chance.
I would also like to try to get the SPDIF working, but I may leave that for another day. If I add "-o passthru" to my config file it will pass though AC3 audio right? I have it connected to my stereo, but have never tried it.

mvallevand
2007-05-21, 07:40 PM
I just loaded the 5-11 dongle (yes, I am one behind) and had a chance to try it out. I noticed a couple things:

Your comments would be relevant to the current dongle too.

WOL worked the first time I tried it, but not the next. The first time it went through all 30 attempts, dropped back to the main menu, and when I selected emulation mode again it went directly to GBPVR. The next day I tried again and it never made it past the "attempting to connect" screen. It would go back to the main menu after 30 attempts. I will try adding "--em-wolwt 10" to my config file once I get that working. 10 secs seems like the time it takes my server to wake from standby, but I may lengthen it if it doesn't work.

WOL works better with a config file for sure. Without it, there is no ping available, and GBPVR has to be ready to play in the 30 seconds.

After I play recorded videos I end up at a black screen. Pressing stop or end gets me back to the menu but it doesn't go back there directly.

I'll have a look. Were the files mpeg-2, I know this could be a problem with VCD/SVCD?

The key presses are definitely slower than the 99.12 dongle and seem to "stall" every once and awhile. At one point I stacked up 3-4 button presses that executed all at once.

It will stall every 10 seconds by choice to avoid problems.

Color/brightness was good (but it is with 99.12 also).

These should be no different, they are done in hardware. mvpmc has an advantage in setting the the aspect, and I could brighten (soften) the image a bit by adding an overlay but I don't.

I would also like to try to get the SPDIF working, but I may leave that for another day. If I add "-o passthru" to my config file it will pass though AC3 audio right? I have it connected to my stereo, but have never tried it.
Even without a startup config script you can actually test this via the Setup Menu on the main mvpmc screen. Yes it passes AC3 to your stereo in this mode, but I'd call the feature experimental.

Martin

Satori
2007-05-21, 08:26 PM
The files were Mpeg-2, thats all I play on my pvr due to my less than high end hardware.
It sounds like "--em-wolwt 10" should be more like "--em-wolwt 30" given it did not go to GBPVR before the 30 attemps the first time I tried WOL. Would you agree?
I will try to get the config file set up in the next couple days
Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: BTW I really like the MVPMC dongle. My only issue is the slightly slower key presses but WOL is such a huge feature for me that it more than offsets it.

mvallevand
2007-05-21, 08:52 PM
The files were Mpeg-2, thats all I play on my pvr due to my less than high end hardware.

I've just played through 5 and haven't seen the black screen behaviour but I now it existed in older dongles. When you start up confirm that you are indeed running 05/11 by looking at the about screen from the mvpmc main menu. I assume you do so I'd need to see the gbpvr debug logs that match the end of file.

It sounds like "--em-wolwt 10" should be more like "--em-wolwt 30" given it did not go to GBPVR before the 30 attemps the first time I tried WOL. Would you agree?

This will depend on your PC and startup application. When you have the script running this setting is from the time your machine can be pinged, so some startup has happened. Plus the next 30 second counter will still come into play.

I will try to get the config file set up in the next couple days
Thanks for the quick response.

No problem taking a break from gardening, its a stat holiday in Canada "the May two-four weekend" some would say for Queen Victoria's birthday, others for the number of beer in case.

Edit: BTW I really like the MVPMC dongle. My only issue is the slightly slower key presses but WOL is such a huge feature for me that it more than offsets it.
You can improve the key press response time with the --em-safety 0 startup option, less stability but you'd still have WOL.

Martin

Satori
2007-05-21, 09:21 PM
confirm that you are indeed running 05/11...
I thought I had but it is entirely possible I am running an older dongle. I loaded it when I had the chance awhile ago and am only now testing it. I think I will just move to the latest version and see if it continues. I need to do that anyway.

When you have the script running this setting is from the time your machine can be pinged, so some startup has happened.
I will start with 10 seconds then.

You can improve the key press response time with the --em-safety 0 startup option, less stability but you'd still have WOL.
I will add this to my config file and try it out.

... others for the number of beer in case.
Cheers, I'll be doing the same this weekend (Memorial Day). :)

jksmurf
2007-05-22, 01:21 AM
Martin

Just something I observed that may be applicable to a few recent mvpmc dongles, coming back from watching TV, (that I started from the EPG Guide rather than with LiveTV), and using the back button, momentarily shows a blank EPG with just the GBPVR default blue background, then shows the EPG as normal.

Cool though, that the thing is stable enough for folks to actually use it "full time", like HtV, pz1, tkgafs and myself e.g. Hopefully my annoyingly persistent questions will find themslves into either an installer :-) or at least a wiki desciption of how to set the thing up easily, to reach a wider audience, so mvallevand can be bombarded with requests for help :-)

k.

1. I still need to sort out the default Volume Control thingy...
2. I'd still quite like a fix for the "back back" (rather than stop, back) behaviour, as this flicks out into the mvpmc reload ... I just got used to using back back I guess ...

mvallevand
2007-05-22, 03:14 AM
Just something I observed that may be applicable to a few recent mvpmc dongles, coming back from watching TV, (that I started from the EPG Guide rather than with LiveTV), and using the back button, momentarily shows a blank EPG with just the GBPVR default blue background, then shows the EPG as normal.
I actually don't paint the screen, gbpvr does, but I have noticed the double screens which I have never bothered fixing, because it is self-correcting.. I will add it to the to do list.

Cool though, that the thing is stable enough for folks to actually use it "full

I still think the Hauppauge dongle should be the first dongle that people use, but I'm glad there are people who do use it regularly or help with testing it, because I will then be able to move this to other platforms everyone will win. I think it is to the point where more people can try different things.

Hopefully my annoyingly persistent questions will find themslves into either an installer :-)

What's needed is an automated way to repair a Windows share. An installer could follow and would not be a hard project.

or at least a wiki desciption of how to set the thing up easily, to reach a wider audience, so mvallevand can be bombarded with requests for help :-)

Actually I don't mind it but what we have all been seeing the FAQ before they are Frequent.

1. I still need to sort out the default Volume Control thingy...

An interim solution is it use -F /etc/defaults. You would have to reset it once per dongle upload.

2. I'd still quite like a fix for the "back back" (rather than stop, back) behaviour, as this flicks out into the mvpmc reload ... I just got used to using back back I guess ...

That's on my list too and I should be able to make it work, but it won't be trivial and I want to test it properly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-06-02, 09:20 AM
Martin,

just tried the 31/05 dongle

using ML2 it played a complete album ok but when playing random it stops after one track

I have reverted to the 14th april dongle just now as it is still the best for me playing music

let me know what tests & logs you want carried out

tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-06-02, 12:37 PM
Martin,

just tried the 31/05 dongle

using ML2 it played a complete album ok but when playing random it stops after one track

I have reverted to the 14th april dongle just now as it is still the best for me playing music

let me know what tests & logs you want carried out

tkgafs

Is this still related to the keystroke and going into the screen saver? I've done several multi-hour random sessions lately.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-03, 07:59 AM

No problem with random play in my installation. However the playlist does not get updated, and remains on track 1 until I push e.g. the volume button. Than the screen is updated.
I do not remember if any of the older mvpmc dongles did update the screen. If you want, I could try with one of the older releases (I kept some)

Pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-03, 01:25 PM
No problem with random play in my installation. However the playlist does not get updated, and remains on track 1 until I push e.g. the volume button. Than the screen is updated.
I do not remember if any of the older mvpmc dongles did update the screen. If you want, I could try with one of the older releases (I kept some)

Pieter, occasionally mvpmc will miss a screen update (Hauppauge too) because of the heartbeat problem. I do ask for screen updates every 10 seconds and it is up to gbpvr to decide if another one is necessary. There is no way for me to tell the server that the data was corrupt.

If this happens repeatedly but no always from the current dongle I can have a look, so let me know. Also if it happens everytime I would like you to check with the Hauppauge dongle too.

Thanks

Martin

pz1
2007-06-03, 01:44 PM
Pieter, occasionally mvpmc will miss a screen update (Hauppauge too) because of the heartbeat problem. I do ask for screen updates every 10 seconds and it is up to gbpvr to decide if another one is necessary. There is no way for me to tell the server that the data was corrupt.

If this happens repeatedly but no always from the current dongle I can have a look, so let me know. Also if it happens everytime I would like you to check with the Hauppauge dongle too.

Thanks

Martin
Martin,
This behaviour seems persistent. My test was as follows:
1) Load the 20070531 dongle; play
2) Repeat 1)
3) Load HAU dongle; play
4) Load the 20070531 dongle play

Only with the HAU dongle I saw the cursor move to the song being played at that moment. As said if you want I can try an older version of mvpmc if that helps. I have all versions since 20070415

EDIT: I am curious if any other users have the same problem with the playlist.
EDIT2: Dongle 20070415 has same behaviour

Pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-03, 02:34 PM
Martin,Only with the HAU dongle I saw the cursor move to the song being played at that moment. As said if you want I can try an older version of mvpmc if that helps. I have all versions since 20070415

Thanks. I don't thinks it's related to a recent change. I've always thought the screen updates were odd. I seen brief flashes of some times and counts too. I'll look at this with more detail using the Hauppauge dongle.

Martin.

mvallevand
2007-06-03, 09:48 PM
I'll look at this with more detail using the Hauppauge dongle

I'm not sure how to test playlists anymore using both Hauppauge and mvpmc I get the same results. How I test

- hit Green button
- highlight m3u playlist file
- hit ok

Then on both dongles, album art appears, the first song in the playlist pane is highlighted blue and music starts playing. There is the brief 0:00:00 under the album art pane that was actually were I thought I had a problem but it's on the Hauppauge dongle too.

Pieter do you still use the ContourHC skin? Maybe that's the problem?

Martin

pz1
2007-06-04, 07:16 AM
Pieter do you still use the ContourHC skin? Maybe that's the problem?
Martin,

ContourHC is still my default. I did test this morning with Standard Blue. This did not make a difference.

I was inspired by the problem reported by tkgafs. So I tried what I assumed was his sequence:
1) Press red button to start music playing randomly
2) Press green button to see the actual playlist

Please observe there are two notions of playlist in ML2: a) The lists of songs you can save/retrieve, and b) the list of actually playing music. My problem refers to notion b)

If you and others do not observe this phenomenon it seems I do have another problem.

Pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-04, 11:41 AM
Martin,

ContourHC is still my default. I did test this morning with Standard Blue. This did not make a difference.

I was inspired by the problem reported by tkgafs. So I tried what I assumed was his sequence:

Please observe there are two notions of playlist in ML2: a) The lists of songs you can save/retrieve, and b) the list of actually playing music. My problem refers to notion b)

If you and others do not observe this phenomenon it seems I do have another problem.

Pieter

Actually that is how I usually test, I thought playing an actual playlist might be different. I should mention that there were a couple of strange events, once I got a dialog saying something about an index error and another the second song was highlighted but the playing musicm album art, and music details were for song 1. These would be server side problems.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-04, 05:26 PM
These would be server side problems.

This seems strange, because the standard HAU dongle does not pose any of these problems.
Pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-04, 09:50 PM
This seems strange, because the standard HAU dongle does not pose any of these problems.

I'm talking a couple of hundred tests in a row, I expect the same thing from Hauppauge. The reason I consider this server-side is all that mvpmc is sending is key press information, it is up to gbpvr and musicplayer2 to present the screen. I haven't given up trying to duplicate the problem though.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-06-06, 12:37 PM
Martin,

Pieter

Sorry been unavailable for a few days

that indeed is exactly how I use ML2, press red button to start music playing randomly, then the green button to goto the playlist screen and then leave it unless I want to find out what a track is currently, at this point I press <go> <go>
which refreshes the screen

If you press <OK> to refresh the screen ML2 restarts the current track.

I have re-installed the 31st may dongle and now cant get it to fail at all, so not sure what the problem was when I first installed. It was consistent though 3 times in a row I pressed red then green, music started to play and then stopped at the end of the first track not when the screen saver kicked in.

But before this I had successfully selected a single album and played it without any problem.

just put this one down to something odd on my system that day

I haven't had any problems with screen refreshes using the <go><go> button method

but occasionally I have found that overtime [several days] the remote response seems to get slower and slower and sometimes I end up doing <go><go> again then I may want to look at weather forecast or dibble cartoon for instance and I press <back> at which point it drops down to the mvpmc screen as presumably there was a <go> queued up.

I now try to remember to do a page up or down before pressing back to avoid this scenario

tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-06-06, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the update, I think I will build this emulation code tonight (minus the transport stream code in 0531 which isn't really related)

[QUOTE]
<go><go> again then I may want to look at weather forecast or dibble cartoon for instance and I press <back> at which point it drops down to the mvpmc screen as presumably there was a <go> queued up.

I now try to remember to do a page up or down before pressing back to avoid this scenario

It's not to late to stop this go-go dancing while listening to your music. I am open to suggestions on the best key to use as a shift key.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-06-06, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=tkgafs;200811]

It's not to late to stop this go-go dancing while listening to your music. I am open to suggestions on the best key to use as a shift key.

Martin

LOL had a look at the remote but cant really think of anything better to be honest most of the buttons are assigned to something or other

tkgafsi

petewxm
2007-06-08, 09:35 AM
Just a quick question about buttons,

On the MVP remote I`ve got RADIO, TV GUIDE, MUSIC, VIDEO etc buttons, Which don`t work, Could I assign these buttons to open the relevent menus?
Or could this be integrated into the MVPMC dongle.

Thanks

Pete:D

mvallevand
2007-06-08, 12:27 PM
On the MVP remote I`ve got RADIO, TV GUIDE, MUSIC, VIDEO etc buttons, Which don`t work, Could I assign these buttons to open the relevent menus?
Or could this be integrated into the MVPMC dongle.

That's odd, these work for me, in fact I don't often use the arrows. I think they are ignored while a video plays but otherwise they are quite useful. Is this a new remote, Hauppauge might have changed something? I do have a new one I haven't opened yet that is made in Mexico and not Korea. If not, and you have the same problem with the Hauppauge dongle, you might want to post this on the main mvp forum. There might be a config.xml entry or something, or you might have a plugin conflict.

I would like to be able to remap them since I'd like the music key to open MP2 but mvpmc doesn't know enough about the state of gbpvr and so it would have to be a macro, which won't be there until I put in the LIRC support.

Martin