PDA

View Full Version : Can't autostart in emulate mode

Bobins
2007-04-23, 10:25 PM
OK, what am I doing wrong?

I'm using GBPVR on a dedicated PC and have installed the latest Nightly in the dongle directory and called it dongle.bin. The server IP address is already flashed into the MVP from previous use of the Hauppauge dongle.

I've created a share on the GBPVR PC (called mvpmc), checked it's shared on the network and put a text file in it called dongle.bin.config.

The config file contains a single line:-

mvpmc -a 16:9 -m pal --emulate ? --startup emulate

When I boot the mvp it loads the mvpmc software and boots. It goes straight to the menu and doesn't load into emulation mode. I can manually start emulation and that works. Rebooting the mvp or putting it into standby then back on always returns to the main menu.

Any ideas why I can't get it to boot straight into emulation ?

mvallevand
2007-04-23, 10:40 PM
OK, what am I doing wrong?

Check this message, if it solves your problems I should probably make a sticky.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=177752&postcount=3

Martin

JavaWiz
2007-04-23, 11:01 PM
If your MVP is wireless, you should use the alpha dongle.

Bobins
2007-04-24, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I'm using the wired MVPs and I've telnetted onto one of them.

If I run the "cat /etc/tftp.config" command it returns 169.254.0.4 which is the IP address of my media server (dedicated Windows XP machine running the GBPVR software.)

When I run the command line:-

"mount.cifs //169.254.0.4/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,ro"

it prompts me to input a Password. Anything entered here returns a mount error 22 = Invalid argument.

I can access the mvpmc share on the media server from any pc on my network without a password and read the dongle.bin.config file. Ive also tried the windows firewall on & off with no difference. There are no login events recorded for the access attempts in the security log.

mvallevand
2007-04-24, 03:57 PM
"mount.cifs //169.254.0.4/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,ro"

it prompts me to input a Password. Anything entered here returns a mount error 22 = Invalid argument.

I can access the mvpmc share on the media server from any pc on my network without a password and read the dongle.bin.config file. Ive also tried the windows firewall on & off with no difference. There are no login events recorded for the access attempts in the security log.

It still is a problem with the share and not mvpmc. Perhaps you don't have tcpip networking setup and it is working with netbios? I also offered other suggestions here.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24788&page=8

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-24, 08:32 PM
Hi,

Started from scratch. Checked & reset server IP address on server and in MVPs. Removed & re-created share. Checked users in User Manager and realised Guest account was disabled so enabled it.

re-started GBPVR server processes & rebooted MVP. Whooopeeee! It works.
Suppose it's always the simple thing that catch one out :rolleyes:

Now for some serious testing!

Thanks for the advice.

mvallevand
2007-04-24, 09:57 PM
Started from scratch. Checked & reset server IP address on server and in MVPs. Removed & re-created share. Checked users in User Manager and realised Guest account was disabled so enabled it.

re-started GBPVR server processes & rebooted MVP. Whooopeeee! It works.
Suppose it's always the simple thing that catch one out :rolleyes:

I'd be interested what would happen now if you disabled the guest account. According to microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 and my experience you can have the guest account off for local logins and still accept guest shares.

Good luck with your testing.

Martin

Bobins
2007-04-25, 09:11 PM
Well blow me....I've disabled the Guest account again and it's STILL working :confused:

Ah well...don't know what I did to fix it because I couldn't see anything wrong except the guest account.

Regards,

Ray.

pz1
2007-05-10, 06:49 PM
Check this message, if it solves your problems I should probably make a sticky.

Martin
Martin, I have difficulty figuring out what I have to do exactly to automate the start-up in emulation mode. If you could find the time I would appreciate if you could make that sticky note for dummies like me.

HtV
2007-05-11, 12:58 PM
@ Pz1

Make a dir e.g C:\MVPMC, then share as a network-share with the name:
MVPMC
Then make a file in it with the name:
dongle.bin.config
Then in that file enter the following line:
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate ?

That should do it. You probably have to reboot the mvp.

mvallevand
2007-05-11, 09:05 PM
Martin, I have difficulty figuring out what I have to do exactly to automate the start-up in emulation mode. If you could find the time I would appreciate if you could make that sticky note for dummies like me.

The instructions for this are on the mvpmc wiki.

http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/Loadconfig

Rather than creating a sticky I'd prefer that all users share their experiences on the troubleshooting part of the wiki, since most problems will be fixing up any problems in home networking.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-11, 09:14 PM
@ Pz1

MVPMC
dongle.bin.config

Rather then the ? I recommend using the real IP if static IP's for the GBPVR server is an option. It is a bit quicker and I lends itself better to WOL ie

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.100 &

I add the & at the end, without it the dongle.bin.config script continues to run.

You are also very correct in saying that you need to reload the dongle for this to take effect.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-11, 11:33 PM
I copied these settings, guess what, even wol worked. I'm thrilled, that'll do good to the waf.:D Now I can cash in;)

edit: ok, I'll wait with cashing in on the waf. Wol works but it won't start in emulation mode then. It's not a big deal, but if there's an easy solution...

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 12:08 AM
I copied these settings, guess what, even wol worked. I'm thrilled, that'll do good to the waf.:D Now I can cash in;)

edit: ok, I'll wait with cashing in on the waf. Wol works but it won't start in emulation mode then. It's not a big deal, but if there's an easy solution...

Sounds like you need to use one of the WOL timeout options,

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=184865&postcount=17

Martin

HtV
2007-05-12, 12:35 AM
Ok I'll try that, it sounds promising. It could very well have to do with the fact that I'm running a wake-up script when my system wakes up. This is to (re)initialise audio for the pvr150, In that script I also restart the recordingservice (just to be sure).
I'll let you know how I get along
cya Hans

wtg
2007-05-12, 02:47 AM

Rather than creating a sticky I'd prefer that all users share their experiences on the troubleshooting part of the wiki, since most problems will be fixing up any problems in home networking.

Martin

I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but I can't seem to find it or instructions on the wiki.

Isn't there a way to load different configs for each MVP on your network? I want the MVP in my kids room to automatically start in emulate, but mine to give me the MVPMC screens. Can I do that?

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 02:58 AM
I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but I can't seem to find it or instructions on the wiki.

Isn't there a way to load different configs for each MVP on your network? I want the MVP in my kids room to automatically start in emulate, but mine to give me the MVPMC screens. Can I do that?

The wiki and the mvpmc read me info will likely focus on doing this via the dhcp/tftp approach which would actually allow different mvp's to run different dongles and configs.

Using the GBPVR/mvpmc share approach you would have to modify the dongle.bin.config script as I mentioned here. http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=195097&postcount=2

Martin

wtg
2007-05-12, 04:32 AM
Thank you, Martin!

That's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't seem to find.

pz1
2007-05-12, 06:16 AM
@ Pz1

MVPMC
dongle.bin.config

Thans, this is what I had, but I does not seem to work

jksmurf
2007-05-12, 06:19 AM
I'm going to give this a try.

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &
if [ $IP="192.18.1.10" ] ; then
mvpmc options -o svideo
else
mvpmc options -o composite
fi

1. Is this the correct order for the above commands (seperate posts)
2. Can you create the share anyone else other than c:\mvpmc and if so how does the MVPMC know here to look?

Cheers

k.

pz1
2007-05-12, 06:28 AM

Martin

My problem starts with the Troubleshooting command:
# mount.cifs //192.168.1.36/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,ro
Password:
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I assumed this refers to the XPP builtin user Guest. I temporarily enabled that account, and gave it full control rights, and cleared the password. I do not understand the error I get, and I can't find the manual page.

HtV
2007-05-12, 09:09 AM
I'm going to give this a try.

if [ $IP="192.18.1.10" ] ; then
mvpmc options -o svideo
else
mvpmc options -o composite
fi

1. Is this the correct order for the above commands (seperate posts)
2. Can you create the share anyone else other than c:\mvpmc and if so how does the MVPMC know here to look?

Cheers

k.

Afaik you can create it anywhere as long as the sharename is MVPMC.

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 12:45 PM
My problem starts with the Troubleshooting command:
# mount.cifs //192.168.1.36/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,ro
Password:
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I assumed this refers to the XPP builtin user Guest. I temporarily enabled that account, and gave it full control rights, and cleared the password. I do not understand the error I get, and I can't find the manual page.

There's really no need to dig into the mount.cifs man pages your problem is going to be with the guest share on your xp box.

I offered some debug testing options here.

Some other things to check.

- TCPIP file sharing is enabled.
- xp firewall is open, if you run direct connect make sure both subnets can talk.
- google xp simple file sharing

Note that the guest account and the guest share are not the same thing and the guest account doesn't need to be enabled. It's sad that the FUD about the guest have likely caused this. I've confirmed these instructions with 2000 Pro, xp basic and pro, and vista home premium, and I've never had a problem which is why it is so hard to diagnose.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 12:50 PM
Afaik you can create it anywhere as long as the sharename is MVPMC.

That's correct, with the normal caveat about sharing the root. Some alternate suggestions would be a multimedia folder (to see how mvpmc native works, or the gbpvr/dongle folder.

Before getting fancy I'd focus on getting the one liner working .

Martin

pz1
2007-05-12, 01:36 PM
There's really no need to dig into the mount.cifs man pages your problem is going to be with the guest share on your xp box.

Well one gets desparate at some point...

I offered some debug testing options here.

Yes I did follow that and came to the same conclusions as Anneb who seemed to have given up. I am not sure what you expect to see from the nbtscan command. Like Anneb reports I see the machines, not the shares:

IP address NetBIOS Name Server User MAC
----------------------------------------------------------------
192.168.1.0 Sendto failed: Permission denied
192.168.1.21 FLUTE <server> ADMINISTRATOR 00-
192.168.1.34 <unknown> <unknown>
192.168.1.36 FLETUM <server> <unknown> 00-
1.21 is a W2000 AS (a.o. AD, DNS and WINS server)
1.34 is the MVP
1.36 is a XP-pro with GBPVR and the shared mvpmc directory

Some other things to check.

- TCPIP file sharing is enabled.
- xp firewall is open, if you run direct connect make sure both subnets can talk.
- google xp simple file sharing

TCPIP sharing is enabled. I also allowed NETBIOS over IP (read that somewhere). For test purposes I disable the windows firewall.
I do not understand what you mean by google xp simple fs, because I have XP-PRO.

Note that the guest account and the guest share are not the same thing and the guest account doesn't need to be enabled. It's sad that the FUD about the guest have likely caused this. I've confirmed these instructions with 2000 Pro, xp basic and pro, and vista home premium, and I've never had a problem which is why it is so hard to diagnose.

Martin

I am not familiar with the notion of a 'guest share'. How do i do that in XP-PRO?

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 02:31 PM
Well one gets desparate at some point...

Yes I did follow that and came to the same conclusions as Anneb who seemed to have given up. I am not sure what you expect to see from the nbtscan command. Like Anneb reports I see the machines, not the shares:

pz1, I'm sorry that it is difficult, I'm trying to find the common denominator for this problem. The nbtscan is just to clearly show that sharing is turned on.

I do not understand what you mean by google xp simple fs, because I have XP-PRO.

"Simple File Sharing" is what Microsoft calls one of the two sharing models on xp.

I am not familiar with the notion of a 'guest share'. How do i do that in XP-PRO?

net user guest /active:yes

Martin

HtV
2007-05-12, 02:58 PM
@Pz1:
Just trying: you might want read this:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/bfba3c82-b2c2-49e2-a5eb-92a3cd620afc1033.mspx?mfr=true

I remember having my system re-installed and couldn't get the "normal" networking browsing to work, couldn't see the shares either. I found this setting, changed it to 0 and everything was ok again. Afaik it won't hurt in a home environment.
Good luck. Hans

pz1
2007-05-12, 03:42 PM
pz1, I'm sorry that it is difficult, I'm trying to find the common denominator for this problem. The nbtscan is just to clearly show that sharing is turned on.

Martin, Sorry the 'desparate' was meant as a joke, not a complaint. Having served in IT for almost 30 years I am well aware things are tough. So I am happy to work on this to make your dongle useable for more people.

If there are shares, should nbtscan show them?
I can connect to the mvpmc share from a Win XP PRO portable, which is connected to my net, but is not part of the active directory, so I am not logged into the domain. There was no need to specify username or password to get the share connected.

"Simple File Sharing" is what Microsoft calls one of the two sharing models on xp.

net user guest /active:yes

Martin
I did this, but did not see any difference. After reboot still no autostart GBPVR

thanks, pieter

pz1
2007-05-12, 03:44 PM
@Pz1:
Just trying: you might want read this:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/bfba3c82-b2c2-49e2-a5eb-92a3cd620afc1033.mspx?mfr=true

I remember having my system re-installed and couldn't get the "normal" networking browsing to work, couldn't see the shares either. I found this setting, changed it to 0 and everything was ok again. Afaik it won't hurt in a home environment.
Good luck. Hans
On my machine the RestrictAnonymous-key was already set to 0
thanks, pieter

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 05:20 PM
Martin, Sorry the 'desparate' was meant as a joke, not a complaint. Having served in IT for almost 30 years I am well aware things are tough. So I am happy to work on this to make your dongle useable for more people.
I'm going on 30 years myself in IT professionally, now programming is just for fun. I learned to program in the card punch era, when EDLIN would have been an improvement so we should enough expertise to track this down.

If there are shares, should nbtscan show them?
Not in the Debian flavour I used. There are versions now of smbscan that do this but there isn't enough room on the dongle for the samba library.

I can connect to the mvpmc share from a Win XP PRO portable, which is connected to my net, but is not part of the active directory, so I am not logged into the domain. There was no need to specify username or password to get the share connected.

Are you using simple or classic file sharing? I actually don't have XP Pro, my test was from a vhd Microsoft used to provide, but its gone now.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-12, 05:37 PM
Are you using simple or classic file sharing? I actually don't have XP Pro, my test was from a vhd Microsoft used to provide, but its gone now.
Martin
In Windows Explorer -Tools/Options/View it appeared to be set to the recommended 'simple file sharing'
Pieter

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 06:04 PM
In Windows Explorer -Tools/Options/View it appeared to be set to the recommended 'simple file sharing'
Pieter

Pieter, thanks, here is a link with a couple of other suggestions

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm#Simple_file_sharing__Guest_account__ and_anonymous_access_problems

Another site had these steps
1. click Start, right click My Computer, select Manage
2. navigate to System Tools, Local Users and Groups
3. click Users
4. in the right pane, right click Guest, select Properties
5. remove the check mark from Account is disabled
6. click OK

I also noted that some site say you might actually need to log on as Administrator and not just have admin rights to do some of this.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-12, 07:20 PM
Pieter, thanks, here is a link with a couple of other suggestions

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm#Simple_file_sharing__Guest_account__ and_anonymous_access_problems
Martin

Yep, this did the trick! I did remove 'Guest' from the 'User Rights Assignment' entry 'Deny access to this computer from the network' See image below. I did not have to enable the Guest account. Hope this works for others as well. Thanks for giving so much feedback.

mvallevand
2007-05-12, 08:27 PM
Yep, this did the trick! I did remove 'Guest' from the 'User Rights Assignment' entry 'Deny access to this computer from the network' See image below. I did not have to enable the Guest account. Hope this works for others as well. Thanks for giving so much feedback.

Good news, I'm sure it will help someone else sometime. "Simple File Sharing" is it? I've read approx. 10 ways to break Guest access.

Thanks for the help and the patience.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-12, 08:59 PM
Good news, I'm sure it will help someone else sometime. "Simple File Sharing" is it? I've read approx. 10 ways to break Guest access.

Thanks for the help and the patience.
Martin
They do indeed call it _simple_ file sharing. There never is something simple and small in MS software. The frightening part is that now I have solved this problem, I do not know how secure my machine still is. They do not tell that, as they didn't probably tell you in the 10 other ways to solve this.
I'll call it the day. Next week I will see if I can get the WOL to work after having gone through those threads.
Pieter

HtV
2007-05-12, 11:22 PM
Yippeehh,:D :D

jksmurf
2007-05-13, 04:03 PM
I was trying to make an "autostart GBPVR in emulate mode" checklist for myself, so thought I'd share it in the forum. IF Martin says correct...Wiki-folks feel free to use :-)

Create a shared directory c:\mvpmc. Then IN that dir, right click create and make a new a file called dongle.bin.config (refer attached pic). Refer HTV's Post (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196040&postcount=10).
As a first trial, type "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &" in that file, where 192.168.1.10 is your GBPVR server's static IP address. Refer Martin's post (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196219&postcount=24)
Check Windows Explorer (Tools/Options/View) is set to the recommended 'simple file sharing'. (refer attached pic)
Run Start, Cmd, then type net user guest /active:yes. (refer attached pic)
Check Guest account enabled (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196258&postcount=32). (refer attached pic)
Check the RestrictAnonymous key in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa is already set to 0. Refer pic in this post (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196244&postcount=29).
Ensure tcpip networking is setup properly (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=193259&postcount=5).
Reboot (unplug, replug MVP) ...or reboot from Browser Window. Refer this post. (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196100&postcount=12)At (1) a light came on in my head. MUST the mvpmc be called dongle.bin as per the config name? I always rename these things

e.g. dongle_Alpha_2007_05_11.bin or
DONGLE_33_25032.BIN for ease of reference.

Is mvpmc ONLY looking for configs for dongles called dongle.bin?

k.

HtV
2007-05-13, 06:04 PM
As a first trial, type "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &" in that file, where 192.168.1.10 is your MVP's static IP address. Refer Martin's post (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196219&postcount=24)
I have my server-ip there, not my mvp's ip:eek: this is from a post from Martin:;)

For example if you always want to run GB-PVR you can have mvpmc power on into Emulation Mode with the following command line option saved in dongle.bin.config

(or specify the GB-PVR server if you'd like)

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.1

HtV
2007-05-13, 06:09 PM
Wrt the dongle name: My guess is that gbpvr renames the file to dongle.bin before serving it to the mvp.(If at all necessary)

pz1
2007-05-13, 07:25 PM
I was trying to make an "autostart GBPVR in emulate mode" checklist for myself, so thought I'd share it in the forum. IF Martin says correct...Wiki-folks feel free to use :-)

k.
Now the one million dollar question: Is it autostarting for you with these settings?

mvallevand
2007-05-13, 07:29 PM

That's a good effort and I'll add what my problem was. The key to this wiki entry is that it is the tweaker's that cause the problem, using the Windows defaults work just fine.

Under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager

Setting

View -> By Connection
View -> Show Hidden Devices

There is a device called "Netbios over Tcpip" which has to be enabled. This is independent of the NetBIOS settings in networking.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143696.aspx shows the instructions I must have used to set this.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-13, 07:45 PM
Wrt the dongle name: My guess is that gbpvr renames the file to dongle.bin before serving it to the mvp.(If at all necessary)

Using the GBPVR approach mvpmc requests dongle.bin and GBPVR responds by transferring the file that you have identified in the CONFIG program as the dongle. There is small issue here because the files that show up in the drop down must have a bin extension which goes against the mvpmc naming convention, so when alpha testing is over there won't be a dongle.bin anymore and a manual rename will be necessary. I just rename it to mvpmc.bin.

Regardless of the name you choose the file in the mvpmc share must be named dongle.bin.config

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-13, 11:00 PM
I have my server-ip there, not my mvp's ip:eek: this is from a post from Martin:;) Sorry GBPVR Server is correct, but my server's (static) IP IS 192.168.1.10. Martin's post was correct.

Now the one million dollar question: Is it autostarting for you with these settings?Nope :o . So much for the checklist. Even with firewall on or off, loads fine but goes to the mvpmc menu.... not sure what to do next ...

Thanks for the responses Martin. I'm keeping the revised dongle.bin name for now...

k.

mvallevand
2007-05-14, 12:14 AM
So much for the checklist. Even with firewall on or off, loads fine but goes to the mvpmc menu.... not sure what to do next ...

There's still step one from the wiki

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=188648&postcount=64

Did you confirm that it shows

tftp=192.168.1.10

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-14, 02:25 PM
There's still step one from the wiki

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=188648&postcount=64

Did you confirm that it shows

tftp=192.168.1.10

Martin

Yes. As you can see I am a COMPLETE newbie at all this etc stuff, so ... what's next :-) (What's the password..?)

192.168.1.10 = GBPVR Server
192.168.1.200 = MVP.

btw I used to be able to type mediamvp.lounge (http://mediamvp.lounge/) in a browser window and WinXP Pro resolved the Static IP hostname to 192.168.1.200. Doesn't do that anymore???

k.

pz1
2007-05-14, 03:03 PM
Yes. As you can see I am a COMPLETE newbie at all this etc stuff, so ... what's next :-) (What's the password..?)

192.168.1.200 = MVP.

btw I used to be able to type mediamvp.lounge (http://mediamvp.lounge/) in a browser window and WinXP Pro resolved the Static IP hostname to 192.168.1.200. Doesn't do that anymore???

k.
I ran into the same problem you mention here. Did you check this http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196264&postcount=33 link? Please do note this is not a registry setting, but via -Menu-Programs-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy. That did the trick for me.

jksmurf
2007-05-14, 03:16 PM
I ran into the same problem you mention here. Did you check this http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=196264&postcount=33 link? Please do note this is not a registry setting, but via -Menu-Programs-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy. That did the trick for me.
Yup .. it hates me ....

k.

mvallevand
2007-05-14, 03:48 PM

192.168.1.200 = MVP.

1. Your mount to GBPVR is working so you don't have a share problem
2. Mounting the MVP will never work and is not needed
3. The host name would come from either your hosts file or DHCP, it is not related to the MVP itself.

So, now that we now your share is connecting try this

ls /etc/mvpmc

You should see dongle.bin.config

If not then you have some rights issue on the file itself, if it is there, upload a copy, you might have a syntax error in it.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-14, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Re-started GBPVR server processes & rebooted MVP. Whooopeeee! It works.

Well "I did a Bobins" and blow me, it worked! There must be something about deleting and re-creating shares after you have fiddled around with other stuff like guest logons etc.... I disabled guest a/c too.

Here's the ls output anyway...

k.

pz1
2007-05-14, 05:21 PM
Well "I did a Bobins" and blow me, it worked! There must be something about deleting and re-creating shares after you have fiddled around with other stuff like guest logons etc....

Good!!
Did you first happen to move the dongle.bin.config to the mvpmc directory? If you move a file they don't get the access rights of the parent directory as far as I know. That might have caused the problem
This mvpmc dongle with autostart definitely increased the WAF at this end.
pieter

jksmurf
2007-05-14, 11:12 PM
Good!! Did you first happen to move the dongle.bin.config to the mvpmc directory? If you move a file they don't get the access rights of the parent directory as far as I know. That might have caused the problem pieter

TBH, I can't remember what I did first, but I have had that problem at work, getting sent files by someone else, popping them in a shared dir and having to change the FILE permissions individually OR redoing the share completely. Should have twigged :o .

I think if I had advice for anybody, it would be
1. Create your mvpmc dir THEN
2. make your dongle.bin.config file and out the emulate lines it THEN
3. LASTLY share the mvpmc dir, making sure it shares all files (it will say subfolders too) .

This way, the FILE will be shared too.
k.

mvallevand
2007-05-15, 02:47 AM
TBH, I can't remember what I did first, but I have had that problem at work, getting sent files by someone else, popping them in a shared dir and having to change the FILE permissions individually OR redoing the share completely. Should have twigged :o .

I think if I had advice for anybody, it would be
1. Create your mvpmc dir THEN
2. make your dongle.bin.config file and out the emulate lines it THEN
3. LASTLY share the mvpmc dir, making sure it shares all files (it will say subfolders too) .

This way, the FILE will be shared too.
k.

Another tidbits from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en-us don't support your order

"A file's permission may differ from the containing folder if one of the following conditions is true:
You changed a file's permissions while Simple File Sharing was turned off on Windows XP Professional."

I think the first step is simply to make sure that the Windows default networking is re-enabled.

- enable netbios over tcpip in network, registry and system devices
- enable simple file sharing
- activate net user guest account
- ensure firewall allows file sharing on local subnet
- ensure Local Security Policy allows network access
- reboot

At this point you should be a typical XP user and you can follow the steps on the wiki

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-15, 12:00 PM
Another tidbits from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en-us don't support your order

"A file's permission may differ from the containing folder if one of the following conditions is true:
• You changed a file's permissions while Simple File Sharing was turned off on Windows XP Professional."It's not that I don't believe you but I actually never turned Simple File Sharing off, mine was always on. I just checked it was always on.

I think the first step is simply to make sure that the Windows default networking is re-enabled.

- enable netbios over tcpip in network, registry and system devicesI did do this before.

- enable simple file sharingI did do this before.

- activate net user guest accountI did do this before.

- ensure firewall allows file sharing on local subnetI am not sure if I know exactly how to do this.

- ensure Local Security Policy allows network accessI did do this before.

- rebootI did NOT do this before.

I am just happy it's working. The above "advice" was what I felt I'd done right, based on what I do sometimes at work and what made it work for me. It also worked for Bobins, so I thought it was the right thing. Never mind, but thank you for your patience!

k.

pz1
2007-05-15, 01:22 PM
At this point you should be a typical XP user and you can follow the steps on the wiki

Martin
Martin, how many people do you think are using your alpha dongle now? When are you planning to feed this into the next production version. Are there apart from the WOL other things I could help you to test?

mvallevand
2007-05-16, 02:58 AM
Martin, how many people do you think are using your alpha dongle now? When are you planning to feed this into the next production version. Are there apart from the WOL other things I could help you to test?

I would guess about 5 users right now. As for testing, I think the best thing to do would be to just use GBPVR the way you normally do and to get it stable enough for day-to-day use with as high a WAF as is possible. Problems found this way are the best because I don't use emulation mode this way.

If you still want to try things, I'm disappointed that no one cares about AC3, I thought this was something users would have wanted., and would have like more feedback on that. The only thing left is really to go where I never plan on digging and thats testing skins and plugins. If there is some repeatable behaviour with these I might be able to improve emulation.

Martin

pz1
2007-05-16, 05:31 AM
I would guess about 5 users right now. As for testing, I think the best thing to do would be to just use GBPVR the way you normally do and to get it stable enough for day-to-day use with as high a WAF as is possible. Problems found this way are the best because I don't use emulation mode this way.

If you still want to try things, I'm disappointed that no one cares about AC3, I thought this was something users would have wanted., and would have like more feedback on that. The only thing left is really to go where I never plan on digging and thats testing skins and plugins. If there is some repeatable behaviour with these I might be able to improve emulation.

Martin

Martin,
MVPMC.BIN is my default dongle since autostart works. As said by some other testers, it is rock solid in comparison to the Hauppauge thing. I think the WAF has doubled since. I would say to the other suckers out there, it is definitely worth the trouble.

HtV
2007-05-16, 07:31 AM
Martin,
MVPMC.BIN is my default dongle since autostart works. As said by some other testers, it is rock solid in comparison to the Hauppauge thing. I think the WAF has doubled since. I would say to the other suckers out there, it is definitely worth the trouble.

I second that completely.:)

Wrt the ac3 sound: I only use the mvp for watching recordings and listen to music. If it supported playing dvd's through gbpvr, I might use it occasionally (probably dvd-images). Would be nice if Sub made it possible to enable the DVD-button for mvp users. But we really don't play dvd's much.
As stated in another thread it's probably of more interest for dvb users.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-05-16, 11:49 AM
Wrt the ac3 sound: I only use the mvp for watching recordings and listen to music. If it supported playing dvd's through gbpvr, I might use it occasionally (probably dvd-images). Would be nice if Sub made it possible to enable the DVD-button for mvp users. But we really don't play dvd's much.
As stated in another thread it's probably of more interest for dvb users.

My comments on AC3 were really directed at the people who complain that the mvp can't do it, it seems to be a common wishlist item or "must have" for media extenders. I'm not expecting anyone who uses mvpmc to all of sudden start using it. I know it won't add any value for me either.

Martin

HtV
2007-05-16, 12:10 PM
I'm not expecting anyone who uses mvpmc to all of sudden start using it. I know it won't add any value for me either.:)

But as with all "gadgets": It's always nice knowing that you can if you want to.

Just got a new cellphone: You try out all the nice things it can do, after that you just use it for what you always used it: making phonecalls. Maybe a photo when you are desperate but that's it.
I think I'll give it to my daughter and I'll have her's, we both will be happy.:)

tkgafs
2007-05-16, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I'm another totally happy user of your dongle

I only play music through it and watch a very occasional recording.

It just sits and plays the random music gbpvr/ML2 is streaming from my server.

I still have never got it to run for more than five days without a break but in every case thats because the server has needed something done to it which required a reboot [the server is also the family pc and gets a lot of abuse !!]

I would use the AC3 if I had the nerve to open up and hack an spdif connection on the back of my mvp and I had a digital decoder to play it through !!

tkgafs

Satori
2007-05-16, 03:24 PM
I seem to remember reading that the dongle is not very good at live TV. I hope I am wrong, it sounds like just the dongle I need. WOL would be great and I have an H3 that came with a SPDIF. I am still in the process of setting it up, running the network cable through the wall, etc.

Does it work well with Live TV?

pz1
2007-05-16, 03:31 PM

For me it does better than the standard dongle

Satori
2007-05-16, 04:10 PM
I'll be trying it once I finish the HW setup, then. Sounds like a winner given the issues I see in the forums with the standard dongle.

mvallevand
2007-05-16, 04:39 PM
I would use the AC3 if I had the nerve to open up and hack an spdif connection on the back of my mvp and I had a digital decoder to play it through !!

The AC3 output is also downmixed to stereo on the analog outputs.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-05-16, 04:43 PM
I seem to remember reading that the dongle is not very good at live TV. I hope I am wrong, it sounds like just the dongle I need. WOL would be great and I have an H3 that came with a SPDIF. I am still in the process of setting it up, running the network cable through the wall, etc.

One thing I've never tested (and I don't even know if GBPVR or Hauppauge support this) would be streaming raw MPEG TS files as Live TV as opposed to the MPEG PS that I get from my PVR 150.

mvpmc itself support TS files but I don't have any samples to test with emulation mode.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-05-16, 10:51 PM
Hi, I would use the AC3 if I had the nerve to open up and hack an spdif connection on the back of my mvp and I had a digital decoder to play it through !! tkgafs

Re the Hack, give it a go ... if I can do it, you can :-)
Here's a wee summary (http://www.mvpmc.org/~stuart/HAUPPAGE_MEDIAMVP_TOSLINK_Installation_Summary.pdf ) I threw together a while back to help out.

Re the decoder ..you'll need to ask Santa... :-)
k.

Satori
2007-05-23, 09:51 PM
I am working through the list to get autostart working. Here is where I am:

Create a shared directory c:\mvpmc. Then IN that dir, right click create and make a new a file called dongle.bin.config (refer attached pic). Refer HTV's Post.
Did this

As a first trial, type "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &" in that file, where 192.168.1.10 is your GBPVR server's static IP address. Refer Martin's post
Did this with my servers static IP

Check Windows Explorer (Tools/Options/View) is set to the recommended 'simple file sharing'. (refer attached pic)
I am on windows XP Home, there is no check box (XP Home always runs simple file sharing)

Run Start, Cmd, then type net user guest /active:yes. (refer attached pic)
Did this. Returned "command completed successfully"

Check Guest account enabled. (refer attached pic)
Did this

Check the RestrictAnonymous key in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa is already set to 0. Refer pic in this post.
Did this

Ensure tcpip networking is setup properly.
Did this

There is a device called "Netbios over Tcpip" which has to be enabled.
Did this

Reboot (unplug, replug MVP) ...or reboot from Browser Window. Refer this post.
Did this

Windows Firewall off
Did this

Remove 'Guest' from the 'User Rights Assignment' entry 'Deny access to this computer from the network'
Can't find this. Is it in XP Home?

It still doesn't load the config file. Any ideas?

mvallevand
2007-05-23, 10:36 PM
I am working through the list to get autostart working. Here is where I am:

Can't find this. Is it in XP Home?

It still doesn't load the config file. Any ideas?

Here are some other things to check, in order. The mvpmc share works fine in XP Home

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=198169&postcount=25

Martin