PDA

View Full Version : Testing mvpmc

fhmanas
2007-05-30, 02:26 AM
Have been using the mvpmc dongle (latest nightly build) for the past few weeks, these are my observations during emulation:

1. Good at detecting aspect ratio, at least for my downloaded videos xvids. (don't know how to do this with regular dongle, without resorting to transcoding)
2. Interface is a lot slower than normal dongle
3. If you pause, it will crash and hang
4. If you fast forward too much, it will hang (video will stop)
5. You can only watch several videos before it hangs and/or crashes
6. Net Radio works
7. Music Library works
8. You Tube works
9. AC3 works but is not in sync.

My conclusion:

I know this is still unstable, but i like it a lot (mem leaks). I'm actually impressed that it can do more than the regular dongle (AC3, wow). The developers have done a great job, I will try the MythTV portion if I could get it to work on a VirtualBox.

Although, I would have wanted the interface to execute faster, the sluggishness is a real bummer. I read somewhere in the forum that GBPVR uses a full redraw of the screen. Maybe the dongle can XOR and check only for specific changes in the screen.

mvallevand
2007-05-30, 02:39 AM
Have been using the mvpmc dongle (latest nightly build) for the past few weeks, these are my observations during emulation:

Thanks for the feedback fhmanas,

Could you confirm the nightly you are using. Some of your problems especially the screen speed sound like you are using the old version. The date is available from the main menu on the about screen.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-05-30, 03:15 AM
Date is May 24, 03:01:18 EDT 2007

mvallevand
2007-05-30, 04:00 AM
Date is May 24, 03:01:18 EDT 2007

That's strange then, especially the pause. Two more questions. Are the problems you are seeing primarily with xvid files? I've honestly not tested these at all, since I assume gbpvr is responsible for sending the mpeg2. Also note if your goal is to use transcoded video from MythTV and use mvpmc things won't be any better. You would have to use the VLC interface that is available in mvpmc independently from the PVR software you are using.

2. I'd like to tackle your problems one at a time. Could you send me the gbpvr logs for the pause problem. This should be straight forward.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-05-30, 12:51 PM
No, the pause problem is not isolated with xvid files. My use of MythTV is just for experimentation, am really a GBPVR user, just want to try it out.

I'll recreate the problems, then send in logs

That's strange then, especially the pause. Two more questions. Are the problems you are seeing primarily with xvid files? I've honestly not tested these at all, since I assume gbpvr is responsible for sending the mpeg2. Also note if your goal is to use transcoded video from MythTV and use mvpmc things won't be any better. You would have to use the VLC interface that is available in mvpmc independently from the PVR software you are using.

2. I'd like to tackle your problems one at a time. Could you send me the gbpvr logs for the pause problem. This should be straight forward.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-05-30, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, strange, can't seem to crash it now when I pause it (both xvid and regular mpeg). Might have downloaded a recent nightly build and confused it with an older one. Anyway, will play around and post any problems encountered.

BTW, add to features not found in normal dongle, the MUTE button works.

Satori
2007-05-30, 03:05 PM
I had the same crash issue when I paused for a long time, but it was from to my server going into standby due to inactivity. :rolleyes: The crashing stopped when I set the server to not standby. :D

fhmanas
2007-06-06, 04:39 PM
Is there a known bug regarding ffwd and rew crashing? I sometimes crash and hang whenever I click ffwd/rew too fast and too much.