PDA

View Full Version : Emulation mode testing Round IV

mvallevand
2007-06-09, 05:33 AM
I've decided to open up round IV with another minor update which should allow more AVI files to play to the end. That is really the only change to emulation code in three weeks so I am getting reading to build the code to the mvpmc nightly once again.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on rounds 1-3. I think we've come a long way and I look forward to getting more feedback this round, with a little less pain too. There's no way I could do this myself.

Martin

OscarL
2007-06-09, 07:57 AM
Looking forward to test this. As it is it has been running so stable for me with the 19th May alpha that I have had nothing to report.
Keep up the good work!
Oscar

pz1
2007-06-09, 08:24 AM
I have set this one as my default, and will report as usual. Nothing funny sofar apart of what I have reported about the previous version and still exists in this one. But as you said you've only worked on the lengthy videos. I'll have a look at that.

tkgafs
2007-06-09, 10:27 AM
Playing music seems fine as expected

tkgafs

spitfire
2007-06-11, 08:20 PM
mvallevand, for hove long will this test period last? I tried the latest dongle (0609) but with that I have no power led and the TV and Guide buttons dont work. The led is allways off. I am now back on 0531, but I will retry the latest dongle during the week.

I have one generall problem to find the mvpmc share, I must telnet and mount the share and start mvpmc manually. As long as I do that every thing is OK, the share is visible from all my other windows boxes.

I have also seen a problem with getting the IP-address after the dongle is loaded. Mapping a fixed IP to the mac of the MVP in my D-Link switch solves the problem, might be some D-Link related stuff.

Thanks for all the good work from everybody involved in mvpmc (and GB-PVR).

mvallevand
2007-06-11, 09:00 PM
mvallevand, for hove long will this test period last? I tried the latest dongle (0609) but with that I have no power led and the TV and Guide buttons dont work. The led is allways off. I am now back on 0531, but I will retry the latest dongle during the week.

If you are talking about round IV I plan to take it up to GB-PVR 1.0, but both mvpmc and emulation mode will always be in development. As an example after I release the last alpha there were some WSS patches that I don't have.

As for your problems it sounds more like you have an invalid dongle.bin.config file then problems with mvpmc itself, since I don't see those. Could you attach or copy it into a message please.

Thanks.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-11, 09:45 PM
the TV and Guide buttons dont work. The led is allways off.
Because of another post in the previous thread, I tested today the MVP specific buttons (TVGuide, Radio etc.). I found their behaviour under dongle.bin and mvpmc20070609.bin was the same.

mvallevand
2007-06-11, 09:51 PM
Because of another post in the previous thread, I tested today the MVP specific buttons (TVGuide, Radio etc.). I found their behaviour under dongle.bin and mvpmc20070609.bin was the same.

I assume you mean they work in both too. The only thing that I am not sure of is if these keys are active while a video is playing.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-06-12, 03:12 AM
I've uploaded another alpha dongle, and I hope it addresses pz1's problem. Pieter sorry I wasn't reading what you wrote, it never was a problem for me because I always let the screen saver come on and the key always caused a screen update. I am still waiting for Hauppauge to get back to me on the flicker settings.

There were changes to WSS handling in the main code base that I felt should be added.

I've also include a first stab at AC3 in DVB TS files. If anyone can actually make one, could you rename it to mpg and see if you can hear it in mvpmc and let me know the results?

I'm still waiting for more input on AVI files and on the strange remote control behaviour before update the mvpmc code base.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-12, 06:49 AM
I assume you mean they work in both too. The only thing that I am not sure of is if these keys are active while a video is playing.

Martin
Yes they work in both, but if video is running they both are not functioning. As a conseqence under LiveTV they are not functioning either.

pz1
2007-06-12, 07:38 AM
I've uploaded another alpha dongle, and I hope it addresses pz1's problem.
It works correct now.

I am still waiting for Hauppauge to get back to me on the flicker settings.
As I said in a previous message, this may be very much a problem of my vintage TV. I do not notice during normal TV display. It only is a bit annoying in the Program Guide screen.

I'm still waiting for more input on AVI files.
Can you explain this a bit more?

and on the strange remote control behaviour before update the mvpmc code base.
I have the feeling that in regular use I do more often get the message that my 350 card is not available for recording. I am not sure yet. I am in the middle of testing for prolonged time with HAU dongle and the latest mvpmc. It might take a week or more before I can make more solid statements. These experiments in daily use do take a bit more time unfortunately.

spitfire
2007-06-12, 08:09 AM
Yes they work in both, but if video is running they both are not functioning. As a conseqence under LiveTV they are not functioning either.

That explains things. I have loaded the latest alpha and yes the buttons work but not in LiveTv.

I still canīt get the dongle.bin.config to load. I have tried all commands via telnet and they work as they should. Still it does not load the file at the first boot so I need to telnet to get mvpmc up and running. After that the warm boots works as they should and mvpmc starts as it should. I attach my dongle.bin.config. Maybe my dongle.bin.config should be keep out of the Emulation mode testing thread, but if you have some ideas for debugging this I would be glad.

If I turn off and then on the MVP I some times get the attached telnet prints, reboot is
the only way out.

spitfire
2007-06-12, 08:26 AM
Lets try the attachments once again

mvallevand
2007-06-12, 09:51 AM
I still canīt get the dongle.bin.config to load. I have tried all commands via telnet and they work as they should. Still it does not load the file at the first boot so I need to telnet to get mvpmc up and running. After that the warm boots works as they should and mvpmc starts as it should. I attach my dongle.bin.config. Maybe my dongle.bin.config should be keep out of the Emulation mode testing thread, but if you have some ideas for debugging this I would be glad.

Your file looks fine, so I think a new thread would be best. I would also like to know a bit more about the router issue.

If I turn off and then on the MVP I some times get the attached telnet prints, reboot is the only way out.

That would typically happen when you start a second instance of mvpmc. You need to killall mvpmc before issuing mvpmc by telnet . Hitting Ctrl-c would stop that loop.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-06-12, 10:00 AM
It works correct now.

Great

Can you explain this a bit more?

It relates to this thread

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=27070

I d/l ed a divx trailer confirmed that the Hauppauge dongle didn't play it all and that the new alpha does. I was hoping craven1 and fhmanas could confirm this before I update the main code repository.

I have the feeling that in regular use I do more often get the message that my 350 card is not available for recording. I am not sure yet. I am in the middle of testing for prolonged time with HAU dongle and the latest mvpmc. It might take a week or more before I can make more solid statements. These experiments in daily use do take a bit more time unfortunately.

This is why I need help. This could result from crashes during testing or powering off mvpmc in livetv. Many times it can be avoiding by auto-starting the mvp server. I set it to two to avoid the 20 second delay.

Thanks.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-12, 11:14 AM
This is why I need help. This could result from crashes during testing or powering off mvpmc in livetv. Many times it can be avoiding by auto-starting the mvp server. I set it to two to avoid the 20 second delay.
Martin,
I already have the two MVP processes running, so reconnecting the MVP is not the problem. The point is that the HAU 350 card apparantly is not freed after some remote control action by me.
This definitely needs more work from my side to see where it really breaks. So I hope to recognise some patterns in daily use. I prematurely responded today because I thought you were asking some feedback on this.

So to be continued.

Pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-12, 11:21 AM
This definitely needs more work from my side to see where it really breaks. So I hope to recognise some patterns in daily use. I prematurely responded today because I thought you were asking some feedback on this

Thanks Pieter. If it's not a crash issue, it might be due to mvpmc not treating the Back/Exit key like a Stop yet. I probably should move that up my priority list anyway.

Martin

pz1
2007-06-12, 12:46 PM
Thanks Pieter. If it's not a crash issue, it might be due to mvpmc not treating the Back/Exit key like a Stop yet. I probably should move that up my priority list anyway.

Martin,
This might indeed be the case.
In the meantime I have done a little other experiment with a small VOB video file.
On the HAU dongle from the mediamvp-beta of february 2007 it plays until the end. The mvpmc.bin 20070611 stops some 5 seconds (I guess) before the end.

mvallevand
2007-06-12, 03:59 PM
Martin,
This might indeed be the case.
In the meantime I have done a little other experiment with a small VOB video file.
On the HAU dongle from the mediamvp-beta of february 2007 it plays until the end. The mvpmc.bin 20070611 stops some 5 seconds (I guess) before the end.

Right now for on-the-fly transcoded files only AVI is supported. Once I get that confirmed I will add other types.

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-13, 10:13 AM

Sorry I didn`t reply earlier, I`ve been away, Martin you are right, they work when not viewing video.

I`m currently using your alpha dongle as my prefured dongle.

Thanks for all the time and effort your putting into this.:D

Pete

pz1
2007-06-13, 12:07 PM
Right now for on-the-fly transcoded files only AVI is supported. Once I get that confirmed I will add other types.

Martin,
I am not sure, but I thought VOB actually is mpeg2. The reason for my VOB experiment was that I had the impression you were interested in videos ending slightly prematurely.
pieter

mvallevand
2007-06-13, 09:49 PM
Martin,
I am not sure, but I thought VOB actually is mpeg2. The reason for my VOB experiment was that I had the impression you were interested in videos ending slightly prematurely.
pieter

Pieter, I'm pretty sure that VOB files are filtered or transcoded before sending them to the mvp. You could confirm this by renaming the file to mpg to see if the problem goes away. Of course there is the possibility of the file having AC3 audio in this case so the sync will be off.

I certainly would like to know about any mpeg that didn't play to the end so I am interested about the results.

Martin

StLouisRod
2007-06-13, 11:42 PM
I'm a newb using GB-PVR, and I only run the MVP emulator at this time. I am doing so because my new Vista PC runs the Hauppauge software quite poorly, with pauses during network transfers and constant lock ups.

I really want to love the emulated MVP software, as it's extra features like the guide and YouTube videos are very cool, but there are so many problems that I can't. Hopefully this is where I can post them:

1) Response to remote commands is ungodly slow. Never thought I would have considered the original Hauppauge software to be speedy ;)

2) You can't shuffle playlist entries. I have a playlist for each artist which contains all the songs I have from that artist. I like using the Hauppauge software by turning on shuffle, which randomly plays the songs from within that artist playlist. GB-PVR can only shuffle my LIST of artist playlists... which is useless.

3) Skipping forward when playing a playlist skips to next PLAYLIST, not the next song in the playlist. The original Hauppauge software correctly goes to the next song.

4) Skipping forward when playing songs causes a pause, then a second of the song currently being played, then a pause, then the next song begins. Very annoying.

5) Searching forward during MPEG2 playback (my Tivo'd shows), while fairly smooth on the Hauppauge software, is erratic, sloppy, and prone to weird skips and occasionally gets stuck in the same spot.

mvallevand
2007-06-14, 12:22 AM
I'm a newb using GB-PVR, and I only run the MVP emulator at this time. I am doing so because my new Vista PC runs the Hauppauge software quite poorly, with pauses during network transfers and constant lock ups.

Did you try GBPVR with the Hauppauge dongle? Some of these comments relate to GBPVR more than mvpmc.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-06-14, 07:22 AM
2) You can't shuffle playlist entries. I have a playlist for each artist which contains all the songs I have from that artist. I like using the Hauppauge software by turning on shuffle, which randomly plays the songs from within that artist playlist. GB-PVR can only shuffle my LIST of artist playlists... which is useless.

3) Skipping forward when playing a playlist skips to next PLAYLIST, not the next song in the playlist. The original Hauppauge software correctly goes to the next song.

the musiclibrary2 plugin available on the wiki does all you want above
I virtually only ever play random music with the ML2 plugin, Physik the plugins author has added every feature I have asked for or are every likely to need.

When a playlist is playing and you are on the the playlist screen simply press the red button on the remote and the currently playing playlist will be randomised

Once again if you are on the playlist screen you can use the up and down arrows to move around in a playlist then press ok to play the currently highlighted song, or use the skip forward / skip back to start playing the next / previous song

4) Skipping forward when playing songs causes a pause, then a second of the song currently being played, then a pause, then the next song begins. Very annoying.

agreed but the stability of martins dongle when playing music far outweighs this little annonyance

hope this helps

tkgafs

mvallevand
2007-06-14, 10:32 AM
agreed but the stability of martins dongle when playing music far outweighs this little annonyance

I didn't think gbpvr allowed you to "skipping forward" within a song, it is skip to next song. That's one of the reasons why I think this might really belong in the main mvp forum.

If I don't leave some word about the audio clearing in the next week remind me. I think I can fix it but when I actually listen to my own collection I don't use emulation mode so I forget that it exists.

Martin

HtV
2007-06-14, 06:12 PM
When a playlist is playing and you are on the the playlist screen simply press the red button on the remote and the currently playing playlist will be randomised

That requires unselecting the "random always all/all" setting in gbpvr-config-plugins-musiclibrary 2-playlists etc.

About skipping: gbpvr won't let you ff/rw or skip music only skip to the next song (and previous I think?)

5) Searching forward during MPEG2 playback (my Tivo'd shows), while fairly smooth on the Hauppauge software, is erratic, sloppy, and prone to weird skips and occasionally gets stuck in the same spot.

How did you transcode them to mpeg2, to me it sounds like some kind of timestamp errors.

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-06-17, 06:31 PM
Hi Martin,

I've tried the mvpmc dongle a few weeks back and it seems much quicker now! I also had some trouble with the standard dongle from Hauppauge. On a certain mpeg file, after skipping a few times, the mvp didn't respond to the remote any more (except for the power button). But the mvpmc dongle doesn't give me this trouble :) . So I think I'm sticking to this dongle for now.

One question: what influences the speed of the emulation mode? Has the coding been improved that much? Because I've also done a fresh install of XP on my server. Just curious.

mvallevand
2007-06-17, 07:10 PM
One question: what influences the speed of the emulation mode? Has the coding been improved that much? Because I've also done a fresh install of XP on my server. Just curious.

Glad that this dongle is working for you. The biggest change in apparent speed happened when sub explained to me how to optimize the use of the MediaMVP hardware for the screen displays, but that was a couple of months ago.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=189621&postcount=1

Other than that I have made some tweaks and through feedback in rounds 1-3 it think it has gotten progressively better overall but there is not one significant change that would have done anything so your XP installation might have made a difference too.

In my opinion mvpmc has better networking than the Hauppauge dongles and so if your networking is good so is mvpmc. You might have undone a bad tweak or tip that was actually creating a network bottleneck. The improved networking really shows in Vista which has much better tcp then XP (again in my opinion) and that is why mvpmc didn't suffer the Vista problems earlier Hauppauge dongles had.

I don't consider emulation mode complete yet so any feedback is welcomed.

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-17, 08:15 PM
Hi Martin,
Not sure if this is under the control of the dongle, but a welcomed feature for me would be that when you power the MVP of, it turns the power to the scart of. because at the moment I have to unplug the mvp, if I want to use something plugged into one of the other scart sockets.

Thanks

Pete:D

mvallevand
2007-06-17, 09:05 PM
Not sure if this is under the control of the dongle, but a welcomed feature for me would be that when you power the MVP of, it turns the power to the scart of. because at the moment I have to unplug the mvp, if I want to use something plugged into one of the other scart sockets.

Its in control of mvpmc and I thought it was supposed to work, but over here in the New World we don't use SCART so I can't test it. I will ask the question on the mvpmc mailing list if you give me some info.

1. Are you using -o scart on the command line? If not telnet to your mvpmc and issue these commands

killall mvpmc

mvpmc -o scart -m pal

Power off (you don't need emulation mode for this test) and see if the scart does do want you want. If it works you will need to set up a dongle.bin.config file.

2. If it doesn't work with the command line what model of MediaMVP do you have?

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-17, 09:27 PM
Hi Martin,
When I telnet it asks for user name and password, I tried Guest, but cant seem to get it to log in. any ideas?

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-06-17, 09:28 PM
Hi Martin,
When I telnet it asks for user name and password, I tried Guest, but cant seem to get it to log in. any ideas?

root - it's a *nix thing.

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-17, 09:42 PM
Hi Martin,
I did as you said, the MVP goes to the screen with "WWW.MVPMC.ORG" I try the power of button and nothing happens, the model I`m using is D3A.

Here`s what happened when I telnet MVPMC

Welcome to MediaMVP!

192.168.0.3 login: root

BusyBox v1.1.3 (2007.05.19-23:15+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# killall mvpmc
killall: Could not kill pid '100': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '101': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '102': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '103': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '104': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '105': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '106': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '107': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '108': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '109': No such process
# mvpmc -o scart -m pal
unknown output 'scart'
Usage: mvpmc <options>
-a aspect aspect ratio (4:3, 4:3cco, 16:9)
-b path path to NFS mounted mythtv ringbuf directory
-C file bitmap file to use for screen captures
-d type type of local display (disable (default), IEE16x1, or IEE40x2)
-f font font file
-F file config file
-h print this help
-H display 12 hour clock
-i dir mvpmc image directory
-m mode output mode (ntsc or pal)
-M MythTV protocol debugging output
-o output output device for video (composite or svideo) and / or for audio (stereo or passthru)
-s server mythtv server IP address
-y server mythtv DB server IP address
-u username mythtv mysql username
-p password mythtv mysql password
-T table mythtv mysql database name
-S seconds screensaver timeout in seconds (0 - disable)
-r path path to NFS mounted mythtv recordings
-R server replaytv server IP address
-D display VNC server IP address[:display]
-t file XML theme file
-c server slimdevices musicClient server IP address

--no-wss disable Wide Screen Signalling(WSS)
--no-filebrowser
--no-reboot
--no-settings
--startup (replaytv, mythtv, mclient)
--web-port port configuration port
--vlc server vlc IP address
--vlc-vopts opt [dvd|svcd|vcd|none] VLC video stream quality
--vlc-aopts opt [mp3|flac] VLC audio stream encoding
--vlc-vb rate VLC video stream bitrate (Mb)
--vlc-ab rate VLC audio stream bitrate(Kb)
--use-mplayer enable mplayer

--emulate server IP address or ?
--em-wolwt seconds Wait # seconds for Emulation WOL
--em-conwt seconds Wait # seconds for Emulation connect
--em-safety level Emulation protection level
--em-rtwin size buffer size of Emulation rt_window
--rfb-mode mode (0, 1, 2)
--flicker value flicker value 0-3
--rtwin size buffer size of global rt_window
--fs-rtwin size buffer size of filesystem rt_window

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-06-17, 09:53 PM
-o output output device for video (composite or svideo) and / or

I assumed it would be an -o option. Try -o composite and then -o svideo instead. Ctrl-C will close this.

Gotta run to a family dinner for Father's Day, good luck.

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-18, 04:46 PM
Hi Martin,
Hope you had a nice family dinner,

I`ve just tried both options and no joy :(

Anymore ideas??

Thanks

Pete

mvallevand
2007-06-18, 07:54 PM
I`ve just tried both options and no joy :(

Anymore ideas??

I have posted something on the mvpmc mailing list and and you can follow it here

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.multimedia.mvpmc.devel/4665

Also I suggest trying version the same test with the 0.3.3 dongle to see if something has been added to the nightlies on which my alpha is based.

(Dinner was so-so, the company was great.)

Martin

petewxm
2007-06-18, 09:04 PM
I`ve tried both using the 0.3.3 dongle and still cant get it to work, it must be something to do with my setup, if its working for everyone else, here`s the telnet just incase it throws something up

Welcome to MediaMVP!

192.168.0.3 login: root

BusyBox v1.1.3 (2007.01.23-03:50+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# killall mvpmc
killall: Could not kill pid '100': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '101': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '102': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '103': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '104': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '105': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '106': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '107': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '108': No such process
killall: Could not kill pid '109': No such process
# mvpmc -o composite -m pal
child pid 114
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
fnt_createfont: using font /etc/helvR10.fnt
fnt_createfont: /etc/helvB18.pcf,0 not found
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
size 8960 byte1 0,34 byte2 0,255
pcf_createfont: using font /etc/helvB18.pcf
Re-starting to convince aspect ratio stuff to work...
Tue Jan 23 00:59:44 EST 2007child exited cleanly
child pid 115
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
Tue Jan 23 00:59:44 EST 2007PAL mode, 720x576
createfont: (height == 0) found builtin font System (0)
screen is 720 x 576
Initializing PAT Decoder
audio write thread started (pid 117)
approximate heap size 507904
Allocated 4194304 heap bytes
Allocated guard page
mpeg read thread started (pid 118)
video write thread started (pid 119)
audio thread started (pid 120)
Demux size video: 2097152 audio: 524288
Setting WSS aspect to: 8
screensaver enable
mclient:Starting mclient pthread.
web server thread started (pid 125)
atexit_handler(): hw_state=1 gui_state=1
atexit_handler(): exiting...
Power OFF
Power ON
child failed, with status 9, restarting...
child pid 126
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
screen is 720 x 576
Initializing PAT Decoder
audio write thread started (pid 128)
Allocated guard page
mpeg read thread started (pid 129)
video write thread started (pid 130)
audio thread started (pid 131)
screensaver enable
web server thread started (pid 136)
killall mvpmc
# killall mvpmc
killall: mvpmc: no process killed
# mvpmc -o svideo -m pal
child pid 139
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
Re-starting to convince aspect ratio stuff to work...
Tue Jan 23 00:59:44 EST 2007child exited cleanly
child pid 140
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
screen is 720 x 576
Initializing PAT Decoder
audio write thread started (pid 142)
Allocated guard page
mpeg read thread started (pid 143)
video write thread started (pid 144)
audio thread started (pid 145)
screensaver enable
web server thread started (pid 150)
Power OFF
Power ON
child failed, with status 2, restarting...
child pid 151
MediaMVP Media Center
Version 0.3.3
glyph_count = 756 (2f4)
def char 0 (0)
screen is 720 x 576
Initializing PAT Decoder
audio write thread started (pid 153)
Allocated guard page
mpeg read thread started (pid 154)
video write thread started (pid 155)
audio thread started (pid 156)
screensaver enable
Power OFF

Thanks for all your help

Pete:D

mvallevand
2007-06-18, 10:04 PM
I`ve tried both using the 0.3.3 dongle and still cant get it to work, it must be something to do with my setup, if its working for everyone else, here`s the telnet just incase it throws something up

Sorry everything looks quite normal. One one thread on the mvpmc mailing list I did notice that someone had to turn a cable around to get audio to work when a tv was off. I suggest following that link to see if there are any more update. You might also consider a SCART post in the hardware forum, there might be more exposure to your question.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-06-19, 04:21 AM
Because things are going pretty well I decided to make a few big changes to mix it up a bit. The biggest change is that the skip keys now do a better job of clearing the audio buffer. This resulted in lots of changes to end of file processing so your feedback is welcomed I want to know if I broke something in the process.

There is also a new Go key combination. Go Mute will now toggle analog and AC3 audio modes in video.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-06-19, 07:25 AM
First impressions seem very favourable skip backwards and forwards starts new track in ML2 without the repeat of a second or so of the previous track.

Remote also seems significantly more responsive, in fact almost instantaneous

I'll leave it running all day whilst at work and see if its still running tonight

so far at least

well done

tkgafs

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-06-19, 06:39 PM
I must say I'm very interested in playing mpeg2 files with AC3 audio. I just bought an Sony Handycam which creates this type of files, and I'd love to be able to play them on my mediamvp. But when I play them right now, the video is very choppy. This was already the case with the 06-11 dongle and it still is with the latest 06-18 dongle. I noticed that the audio mutes during these chops.

I have played these files in april and they were OK, but the audio was way out of sync. I hope this gives you some ideas.

mvallevand
2007-06-19, 08:26 PM
I have played these files in april and they were OK, but the audio was way out of sync. I hope this gives you some ideas.

S.Y.

I don't have specific answer but here are some things to look at, (the bad sync is not yet) addressed:

1. If it worked better in April it is possible that the network tcp window size is not as good for your network as it is for some others. If you are using a dongle.bin.config file, I suggest changing it back to the early April settings with the --em-rtwin 4096 option to see if this is better. You can also try this via telnet.

2. I've found that modifying the GBPVR config.xml to set the MVP priority from high down to normal, actually improved network performance for me.

3. You can see if the AC3 is causing the problem with the latest dongle by toggle to MP2 audio using the new Go Mute key toggle. If the skipping continues it has nothing to do with AC3.

4. If you're using an mvpmc share, or want to try and attach to a network share from a telnet window let me know. The mvpmc native mode provides some throughput diagnostics where you could determine how fast mvpmc thinks your network is.

5. Finally if you have or want to create a gmail email account you can email me (it's in my profile) a 10-15 MB sample file, if you'd like. Any outdoor or traffic scene is fine, I want to test throughput and not your cinemagraphic skills.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-06-20, 05:44 PM
S.Y.

I don't have specific answer but here are some things to look at, (the bad sync is not yet) addressed:

1. If it worked better in April it is possible that the network tcp window size is not as good for your network as it is for some others. If you are using a dongle.bin.config file, I suggest changing it back to the early April settings with the --em-rtwin 4096 option to see if this is better. You can also try this via telnet.

2. I've found that modifying the GBPVR config.xml to set the MVP priority from high down to normal, actually improved network performance for me.

3. You can see if the AC3 is causing the problem with the latest dongle by toggle to MP2 audio using the new Go Mute key toggle. If the skipping continues it has nothing to do with AC3.

4. If you're using an mvpmc share, or want to try and attach to a network share from a telnet window let me know. The mvpmc native mode provides some throughput diagnostics where you could determine how fast mvpmc thinks your network is.

5. Finally if you have or want to create a gmail email account you can email me (it's in my profile) a 10-15 MB sample file, if you'd like. Any outdoor or traffic scene is fine, I want to test throughput and not your cinemagraphic skills.

Martin

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your suggestions:
1) This doesn't work for me. After entering the command via telnet, the MVP tries to reboot, but ends up in a loop.
2) Great suggestion, better responses in the menu's, but no effect on playing the file. Is Sub aware of this?
3) When I press Go - Mute, there is still audio, so I'm not sure this is working. There's no effect on the display.
4) I've created a share in the past, so if you'd like me to run some diagnostics, no problem. I've also got a mvpmc share with a dongle.bin.config.
5) It's in your mailbox.

mvallevand
2007-06-20, 11:08 PM
Hello Martin,

Thanks for your suggestions:
1) This doesn't work for me. After entering the command via telnet, the MVP tries to reboot, but ends up in a loop.
2) Great suggestion, better responses in the menu's, but no effect on playing the file. Is Sub aware of this?
3) When I press Go - Mute, there is still audio, so I'm not sure this is working. There's no effect on the display.
4) I've created a share in the past, so if you'd like me to run some diagnostics, no problem. I've also got a mvpmc share with a dongle.bin.config.
5) It's in your mailbox.

Thanks, the sample does play with stutter but it might be too high a bit rate for the mvpmc. Does it play ok with the hauppauge dongle (without sound)? If so I will check the actual mpeg to see if there is something else causing the problem. Do you know if your camera records in Sony IMX format?

1. To try this you have to killall mvpmc
2. I have seen sub mention this
3. That's possible.
4, Hold off on this I'm having trouble setting up my system for pal 16:9. Edit: I got this working but it stutters in native mode too. The file is too high a bit rate, it hits over 10Mbs at times.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-21, 07:08 AM
Other than that I have made some tweaks and through feedback in rounds 1-3 it think it has gotten progressively better overall but there is not one significant change that would have done anything so your XP installation might have made a difference too.

I have to say, I downloaded a newer version on the 18th and in GBPVR the menus are much faster than the version I last downloaded a few weeks ago.

petewxm
2007-06-21, 10:51 AM
I have to agree, this version is far more responsive.

:D

mvallevand
2007-06-21, 11:20 AM
I wonder if I uploaded a version with the --em-safety 0 command line option set? It sure sounds like it and I know I toggle it on quite a bit during my testing. If you start seeing unexpected restarts and returns to the mvpmc menu that would confirm this.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-06-21, 03:50 PM
4, Hold off on this I'm having trouble setting up my system for pal 16:9. Edit: I got this working but it stutters in native mode too. The file is too high a bit rate, it hits over 10Mbs at times.
Martin

Oops! Sorry for wasting your time on this. I'd tested these kind of files before on the hauppauge dongle, but that was before changing to a higher recording setting on the camera. I just tested another recording with a lower bitrate, and there are no more stutters.

Well, at least the overall response of the MVP is higher now, so it wasn't all for nothing. Thanks for your input!

StLouisRod
2007-06-22, 03:38 AM
the musiclibrary2 plugin available on the wiki does all you want above
I virtually only ever play random music with the ML2 plugin, Physik the plugins author has added every feature I have asked for or are every likely to need.

Once again if you are on the playlist screen you can use the up and down arrows to move around in a playlist then press ok to play the currently highlighted song, or use the skip forward / skip back to start playing the next / previous song

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how that musiclibrary2 plugin works. I used the config utility to set my music libraries, then scanned all my music. When I then restore the GB-PVR on my PC, it shows all my music. However, if I don't fire up config first, then nothing comes up under the categories except <ALL>. And no matter what I do, I can never see my music when using the Hauppauge MVP on my TV. It always shows <ALL> with no music titles. Since I don't use GB-PVR on my PC, only emulated on my MVP, this does me no good. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for all the help so far!
:)

pz1
2007-06-22, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't understand how that musiclibrary2 plugin works.

Maybe the author of ML2 reads this here, but this thread is not about ML2. You have a better change if you repost your problem in the ML2 forum (http://forums.gbpvr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 11:50 PM
Hi, I've just uploaded a new alpha dongle that corrects a problem with FF/RW not being sent properly during audio playback. Additionally the dongle.bin.config file loaded from the mvpmc share can now be a Windows text file, the extra carriage returns will be stripped out.

Support has also been introduced to allow external loading of the Samba SMB File System (smbfs). It uses a slightly modified process then described in the CIFS thread. Download mvpmc_samba.zip and place these files in your mvpmc share and update your dongle.bin.config to reflect the README.txt.

Martin