PDA

View Full Version : mvpmc Report Card

mvallevand
2007-07-21, 02:16 PM
Two weeks ago when 1.0.8 was released I expected a flood of reports of problems with emulation mode, especially since Vista users weren't given too much choice. There have been a few hundred downloads probably twenty times as many as during earlier testing but I have not had any feedback. Since I don't actually use GBPVR this feedback is crucial or emulation mode won't get better.

I am eager to start porting emulation mode to other hardware but I don't want to do this until I feel I have a stable codebase and I would appreciate it if anyone who has tried mvpmc with GBPVR could give me an interim report card.

Thanks.

Martin

tkgafs
2007-07-21, 10:03 PM
For playing music with musiclibrary 2 it's light years ahead of the standard dongle.

tkgafs

BrainStormer
2007-07-21, 10:19 PM
Well for one, FF/REW works far better than the stock Hauppauge Dongle

I'll play alot more with it especially if you're about to start porting it to the other hardware you have.. Unbox it yet?

mvallevand
2007-07-21, 10:39 PM
Well for one, FF/REW works far better than the stock Hauppauge Dongle

I'll play alot more with it especially if you're about to start porting it to the other hardware you have.. Unbox it yet?

I haven't started on any ports yet and the DSM 320 is still in the box.:( That's actually the reason for this survey. I've got all this hardware calling my name but except for the test team I have had no idea if anyone is actually trying/using/like/hating things right now.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-07-21, 11:09 PM
Well I like it a lot. I have not used the Haupp dongle for 3 months now. Most issues have been plugin related for me. The best advantages?

Stable & responsive
Works with Vista (I don't have it though)
WOL
FF/RW works
GUI to turn it off & set it up*The setup can be a bit daunting for a lot of folks though TBH. It's not quite drag and drop into the dongle directory).

* IMO you'd probably get a lot more responses if you made an installer, setting the path to make it go straight into emulate mode with a default setup line, having checkbox options in the http GUI etc etc. :) ... lot of work though?

I'd be dead keen on knowing I can go further with a box that can play DivX, MP4 and other things etc natively....

k.

groover km
2007-07-21, 11:43 PM
I'm using it - well, playing with it to be honest - on one of my MVPs. I need to devote more time it, but take this as encouragement.

mvallevand
2007-07-22, 02:45 AM
The setup can be a bit daunting for a lot of folks though TBH. It's not quite drag and drop into the dongle directory).

Actually it works just fine by drag & drop. The difference comes if you want to autotart the dongle into emulation mode. Setting up a share is difficult for some and trivial for others. You definitely had the worst experience I've seen. If enough users of emulation mode existed, I think it woujld be trivial for sub to add the logic to send the command line when mvpmc requests it by tftp.

I'd be dead keen on knowing I can go further with a box that can play DivX, MP4 and other things etc natively....

k.

Again this is going to take a critical mass of users for sub to change the server. For example I'd like to bybass the mux to get raw mpeg-ts files to mvpmc but understandably it is low on sub's priority list.

Martin

pz1
2007-07-22, 05:14 AM
Stable & responsive
Works with Vista (I don't have it though)
WOL
FF/RW works
GUI to turn it off & set it up*
Mute button works

HtV
2007-07-22, 08:37 AM
I'm very happy with it too, I don't get any reports/complaints from the 2 bosses here at home so that's good. I don't use it much myself, but later today I'll do some "testing" and I'll hand in a report-card.
I think you are doing a wonderful job Martin, and I fully understand how you feel about this. But....it's probably your own fault for the greater part, because it works so well, people don't feel the need to come back here.:)

cya Hans

Lindsay
2007-07-22, 09:20 AM
As you know, I am using it full-time as a Vista user. I have also installed it on a friend's Vista setup. I am very happy with it and REALLY appreciate your tremendous work.

One thing I have been meaning to comment on is that often when switching the TV to GBPVR from the mvp it is sitting at the Emulate menu rather than GBPVR. I guess this shouldn't be happening unless the recording svc or server has been reset? Should I be trying to get a log that might throw some light on the cause? Does it indicate that my auto start in emulate mode share is not working??

JonRoyle
2007-07-22, 09:31 AM
Having only just found MVPMC recently I am a fan.

Key benefits
- Proper 100M/Full network connection
- proper linux client that I can telnet to
- Appears to be more stable and FWD/REW works better (though this could be new version of GBPVR)

Issues
- Having problems going straight into Emulation Mode

Jon

mvallevand
2007-07-22, 11:45 AM
One thing I have been meaning to comment on is that often when switching the TV to GBPVR from the mvp it is sitting at the Emulate menu rather than GBPVR. I guess this shouldn't be happening unless the recording svc or server has been reset? Should I be trying to get a log that might throw some light on the cause? Does it indicate that my auto start in emulate mode share is not working??

LIndsay, open a new thread and send the logs some time. This typically happens when there is a socket problem but I haven't seen those in 1.0.8. Two situations where gbpvr seems to forcibably close the socket on its own a) when you have a file type like .mov selected don't have the DirectShow codecs installed, this seems unnecessary because mvp support is through ffmpeg b) changing the server time.

I don't think this is auto start related. I don't have an auto-reconnect capability, I thought it would cause too much conflict with WOL.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-07-22, 11:55 AM
- Appears to be more stable and FWD/REW works better (though this could be new version of GBPVR)
Issues
- Having problems going straight into Emulation Mode

Hi Jon, if you open a new thread on autostarting we can look into it. This was one of the support questions that I've been missing since 1.0.8

I agree that 1.0.8 is more stable and my own opinion on FF/RW (I assume you mean short skip) is that in theory it should be worse but I'll take the kudos. The most accurate FF is mvpmc's Go - FF which is like a 2x or higher depending on the bitrate, FF on a DVD,

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-07-22, 03:37 PM
I like mvpmc dongle a lot, the only thing that's better with the hauppauge dongle is how fast it responses (menu changes). But this seems to have improved with the latest version. I assume this will also be better when it is ported to a faster client.

nia
2007-07-22, 07:38 PM
I installed it sometime in spring and has never looked back. It works great for me!

Key advantages for me:

* Proper 16:9 support. I see all of my DVB-T 16:9 recordings properly scaled on my Samsung 40". :D The Hauppauge dongle cuts the sides :mad:
* Much more stable than Hauppauge. Doesn't have the odd disconnects when e.g. FFDing. Wife agrees and approves :)
* The potential and the fact that it's an open project built and developed by real people :rolleyes:

I must admit that I haven't really used the functionality outside of GBPVR much though...

Anyway - a big "Thank You"! to Martin for pursuing this !!!

/Niels

mvallevand
2007-07-26, 10:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded and provided me with so much encouragement. I guess things are working better than I had expected, I actually planned on an average score with more negative comments or problems, so possibly some of you were a bit too intimidated to response. I think I can now look at other platforms knowing that this version isn't too far off.

Martin

HtV
2007-07-26, 11:28 PM
I think I can now look at other platforms knowing that this version isn't too far off.

Well I hope and expect that you won't be leaving us. But I know when my wife says:"Let's go have a look in that shop, only looking, we won't buy anything" We always come home having bought something.;)

Thanks again for a wonderful job.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-07-27, 12:41 AM
Well I hope and expect that you won't be leaving us. But I know when my wife says:"Let's go have a look in that shop, only looking, we won't buy anything" We always come home having bought something.;)

Thanks again for a wonderful job.

cya Hans

Thanks to you and the others that helped, I didn't even know how to use GBPVR when I started this.

And I'm not leaving, but I'm not going to be questioning my own logic as much either. In fact there is a possibility that Dom Morris, who I would rate with Sub as one of the leading Hauppauge protocol experts in the world, is going to be porting emulation mode to VOMP (another dongle which doesn't get much notice) so I think you will continue to see many bmore improvements to mvpmc and emulation mode.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-07-29, 08:46 AM
Dom Morris input sounds good, Martin. Still puzzles me as to why Hauppauge still can't fathom Vista's comms though!

Glad the poll results are so positive. Onwards and upwards....!

fhmanas
2007-07-29, 11:57 AM
Is it possible to improve mvpmc, so it would allow sub's GBPVR new 1.08 interface to fully work, with the animation and all.

I love mvpmc, especially the WOL, no more standing (woohoo!), although I do get a few glitches (fwd and rev) and a few hanging vids but overall it's pretty stable.

mvallevand
2007-07-29, 02:36 PM
Is it possible to improve mvpmc, so it would allow sub's GBPVR new 1.08 interface to fully work, with the animation and all.

Some improvements to speed are possible using various strategies but nothing will come close to what you see on the PC

I love mvpmc, especially the WOL, no more standing (woohoo!), although I do get a few glitches (fwd and rev) and a few hanging vids but overall it's pretty stable.

If you aren't using the short skip alternative FF/RW do cause mvpmc to stop because it's not implemented in PVRX2, but I'm testing a workaround. If you do encounter glitch if you open a new thread and upload the gbpvr MVP-PVR logs I well have a look.

Martin