PDA

View Full Version : Vista and sleep mode

Lindsay
2007-08-21, 09:53 PM
Just a note to document my findings. I had set my NIC to allow WOL for mvpmc usage but the side effect was I couldn't get my PC to stay asleep. The browse master re-election would wake it up after about 90 sec. The key seems to be to also check the box which says 'Only allow management stations to wake the computer'. This seems to allow for both continuous sleep and WOL action from mvpmc. At least it appears to do this so far!

HtV
2007-08-22, 03:22 PM
This works the same for me under xp. If I uncheck the 'Only allow management stations to wake the computer' the system wakes up everytime it gets a "signal" from one of the other systems.

Lindsay
2007-08-22, 08:29 PM
Spoke too soon. Last night it woke 18 min after being put in sleep mode. System detected that a network adaptor was connected to a network..... Bah, humbug.

Seems I can only get it to stay in sleep mode if I disable WOL which stops the MVP from connecting.

Anyone got a Vista solution?

menola
2007-08-22, 10:06 PM
Spoke too soon. Last night it woke 18 min after being put in sleep mode. System detected that a network adaptor was connected to a network..... Bah, humbug.

Seems I can only get it to stay in sleep mode if I disable WOL which stops the MVP from connecting.

Anyone got a Vista solution?

Firewall via router. Block all ports except the MVP?

mvallevand
2007-08-23, 03:39 AM
Lindsay, did you look the properties on the NIC driver itself? Mine has some extra special WOL properties that might help ignore the non-WOL messages that you must be receiving.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-08-23, 08:42 AM
Only 'Advanced' option that seemed relevant was enable/disable WOL.

There is something else peculiar as my power settings should have the machine go into sleep mode after 30 min and it isn't happening. Some more investigation needed.

Thanks, Martin.