PDA

View Full Version : FF/RW with 8/30 dongle

Satori
2007-09-22, 07:20 PM
I finally had a chance to use MVPMC again (My wife is out shopping). The config file loads and sends me right to GBPVR. I am using this:

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.0.100 --em-wolwt 10 --em-safety 0 -o passthru &

I was using 1.1.51 and FF/RW is smooth. With MVPMC it works well except is sometimes goes to a black screen when I hit FF or RW. I have it set to actually FF or RW and not short skip (it has a high WAF). After going to the black screen I can play the file again by pressing play. If I was trying to FF or RW it has actually occured, I just wasn't able to see the video moving while it happened. I see "Rewind" or "Fast Forward" on the screen but the rest of the screen is black. The problem occurs in live TV and in recordings.

Logs attached. I saved the logs right after spending 5 minutes trying to FF/RW in a recording and in live TV. My specs are below.

mvallevand
2007-09-22, 08:20 PM
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.0.100 --em-wolwt 10 --em-safety 0 -o passthru &

Logs attached. I saved the logs right after spending 5 minutes trying to FF/RW in a recording and in live TV. My specs are below.

Thanks for the feedback. You do need to have --em-safety 3 with 99.12 and so I would expect this type of problem to appear randomly while there are fast screen updates happening.

Martin

Satori
2007-09-22, 08:43 PM
I appreciate the quick response!

I set it to safety 3 and it still does it, just not as much, would a higher setting help?

mvallevand
2007-09-22, 08:55 PM
No that is it but I would be interested in seeing the log with the changes, I assume you did do a hard power off to reload the config file.

It might also be worth trying the pre 1.0.x dongle.

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/old_dongle.zip

I haven't done any real testing of the newer mvpmc dongles with GBPVR 99.12, so if you're not ready to take the jump to 1.0 it might be worth giving a shot. If I was using 99.12 I'd move to 1.0.16, and try GBPVR if you are worried about PVRX2. It does have a better mvp server.

Martin

Satori
2007-09-22, 09:11 PM
I did do a hard reboot and put everything back to 1.1.51 because my son was waking up from his nap. After I got him settled I did another hard reboot and loaded the MVPMC dongle with Safety 3. After it worked about the same I loaded 1.1.51 again (wife is coming home)

whew...

These are the logs. You will have to go through them to find the MVPMC/safety 3 section.

I will eventually go to 1.0.16, especially since it has the newer server. I won't do it until after the new season here in the US, though. Promised the wife a stable DVR until then... :D

I will move to MVPMC at the same time, I am sure this small issue is probably resolved with the new server.

Keep up the good work!

mvallevand
2007-09-22, 10:49 PM
From those logs I don't see gbpvr transfer the dongle but there was was some initialization code. You might even have been running from the dongle in flash. Did you see the mvpmc.org logo?

Also I didn't see video playing in the logs to look for this problem. This is probably because you are autostarting 2 servers. Next time I suggest only autostarting one server and this makes it easier to guarantee logs data will be available.

Martin

Satori
2007-09-24, 02:13 PM
I did see the MVPMC.ORG logo. I autostart 2 servers because I occasionally have the MVP crash back to the "Connecting to Server" screen. With 2 servers and 2 tuners I can immediately go back to live TV.

An example of a crash is attached. It occured at 6:52. I am guessing there probably not enough in the logs to determine the cause. I have never seen anything.

HtV
2007-09-24, 03:29 PM
If you upgrade to 1.016 you only have to start 1 mvp-server because it's back up almost immediately, when you close the mvp and restart it again it's there right away.

Satori
2007-09-24, 04:15 PM
Good to know, another reason to upgrade. I am looking forward to the end of the season I think 1.0.16 will be great. :)

mvallevand
2007-09-24, 04:39 PM
I did see the MVPMC.ORG logo. I autostart 2 servers because I occasionally have the MVP crash back to the "Connecting to Server" screen. With 2 servers and 2 tuners I can immediately go back to live TV.

An example of a crash is attached. It occured at 6:52. I am guessing there probably not enough in the logs to determine the cause. I have never seen anything.

Thanks, those logs do help. This is not related to FF/RW thought but there is something happening after a stop of livetv. I did make some changes in end-of-file processing for 1.0.x and I likely didn't consider the need for a version 99.12 safety factor to avoid the collisions on the gui stream. The good news is you shouldn't see this collision in 1.0.16.

I'm also making some progress on the FF issue because I can duplicate it now. The actual FF code with the server is working and hitting play and stop gets me back to normal so nothing is freezing for me, so I am hoping I just having a problem in how I reset the video demux.

Sadly unlike Hans, I still need to auto-start two servers.

Martin

Satori
2007-09-24, 05:40 PM
I am proud I contributed even if it was just some logs. I am looking forward to MVPMC and 1.0.16 when I finally get a chance to upgrade.

HtV
2007-09-24, 09:16 PM
Sadly unlike Hans, I still need to auto-start two servers.

That's weird isn't it, could it be a vista thing?
Maybe other people could respond on this.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-09-25, 03:15 AM
Thanks, those logs do help. This is not related to FF/RW thought but there is something happening after a stop of livetv. I did make some changes in end-of-file processing for 1.0.x and I likely didn't consider the need for a version 99.12 safety factor to avoid the collisions on the gui stream. The good news is you shouldn't see this collision in 1.0.16.

Satori, for your info, I had a look at the logs you posted for sub on the main support forum and your mvp experienced pretty much the same disconnect with the Hauppauge dongle after the stop was hit on Super Why. The difference with Hauppauge dongle after a crash is it resets and goes back to GBPVR's menu but with mvpmc will typically just go to the main menu so the crash is more noticeable. You and your wife should watch for those connecting to server messages to do a fair comparison with mvpmc.

Martin

pz1
2007-09-25, 06:47 AM
That's weird isn't it, could it be a vista thing?
Maybe other people could respond on this.

cya Hans

For what is is worth: I am on 99.12. I still have to start 2 servers with the newer mvpmc dongles (I vaguely remember it is the dongle that made the difference for you? (I am too lazy to search back your original post))

HtV
2007-09-25, 09:57 PM
For what is is worth: I am on 99.12. I still have to start 2 servers with the newer mvpmc dongles (I vaguely remember it is the dongle that made the difference for you? (I am too lazy to search back your original post))

No it's the new pvrx2.exe that makes the difference. I just tested to be sure: it only works with pvrx2.exe as mvp-server.

cya Hans

Satori
2007-09-27, 02:53 PM
The difference with Hauppauge dongle after a crash is it resets and goes back to GBPVR's menu but with mvpmc will typically just go to the main menu so the crash is more noticeable

So with MVPMC it goes to the main menu and you have to hit "Emulate" again? That is not an issue just curious.

In the main forum the issue with my PVR seems to be the recording service dying. Hopefully it happens less with 1.0.x, but if it is something with my setup it may not.

mvallevand
2007-09-28, 02:52 AM
So with MVPMC it goes to the main menu and you have to hit "Emulate" again? That is not an issue just curious.

Usually, but on occasion since gbpvr doesn't really no how to deal with a clean shutdown, data could be sent causing mvpmc to crash and restart and follow the specified --startup command. The Hauppauge dongle will just reconnect after a crash so it might be less noticeable.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-09-28, 03:22 AM
Usually, but on occasion since gbpvr doesn't really no how to deal with a clean shutdown, data could be sent causing mvpmc to crash and restart and follow the specified --startup command. The Hauppauge dongle will just reconnect after a crash so it might be less noticeable.

Martin

I've noticed this too, not a huge issue, but could be a wishlist feature :-)

k.

mvallevand
2007-09-28, 03:46 AM
I've noticed this too, not a huge issue, but could be a wishlist feature :-)

k.

If sub can have the Exit menu option send a message for me to end emulation mode, I will make --startup reconnect after a server side error. I need to avoid this scenario

mvp is connected to gbpvr
pc is shutdown
mvpmc says reconnect because of server crash
mvpmc sends WOL to pc!
pc is now turned on.

Martin.