PDA

View Full Version : New alpha dongle Oct. 14

mvallevand
2007-10-15, 01:46 AM
I have just upload a new alpha dongle that should address some of the sync problems in the Sept. dongle.

Also I changed some code which I think makes the menu responses a little snappier but I don't really use emulation mode enough to really tell, so I'd like some feedback on this

Martin

HtV
2007-10-15, 06:48 PM
Hi Martin,

I did a little testing on your new dongle, sofar I think it's perfect, it really looks snappier. Did a lot of channelchanging, changing songs in musiclib2 etc. no problem at all. Specially the changing songs in ML2 was very quick, as good as instantaneous. So I'll keep it and we'll see if any problems come up.
One thing I noticed: the miniguide is still very slow, ~2 secs to go to the next channel in the list, that is without changing channel, you understand what I mean I hope.:)
All in all a very good release I think.

cya Hans

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-10-15, 07:53 PM
Hello Martin,

The new dongle is giving me trouble. The first mpeg file I played, the audio went out of sync after skipping. It's a Hauppauge PVR500 recording and it's playing fine with the september dongle.

HtV
2007-10-15, 08:00 PM
Hello Martin,

The new dongle is giving me trouble. The first mpeg file I played, the audio went out of sync after skipping. It's a Hauppauge PVR500 recording and it's playing fine with the september dongle.

I'll try that too, I might have forgotten to do that. It'll be tomorrow before I get access to the machine.;)

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-10-15, 09:27 PM
Sheik, could you try with a new command line --no-jit-sync to see if your new problem is cause by mvpmc's mux. This puts it back to the August dongle. FYI, your Max and Loretta video was used to prove there was problems in the last demux.

Hans, OSD is my bęte noire. I had to add code to play .srt fles that slows it down, and I don't know what to do to fix it. gbpvr is sending too much data, including the same screen that isn't necessary and I don't how to slow it down. sub will probably need to help me to make this better.

Martin

HtV
2007-10-15, 09:34 PM
Hans, OSD is my bęte noire. I had to add code to play .srt fles that slows it down, and I don't know what to do to fix it. gbpvr is sending too much data, including the same screen that isn't necessary and I don't how to slow it down. sub will probably need to help me to make this better.

Martin

Well if were up to me I wouldn't bother ;) , I never use the mini-guide. I only use the mvp for music and for watching recordings. But I guess that's not what this is all about.:D

cya Hans

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-10-16, 07:41 PM
Sheik, could you try with a new command line --no-jit-sync to see if your new problem is cause by mvpmc's mux.
Martin,

Today I watched a show with the default settings and I didn't have any sync problems. Unfortunately I deleted the file that gave me trouble, so I'll just test this new dongle some more. As soon as I see the problem again, I'll try your --no-jit-sync suggestion.

Nice to see that Loretta is starting an international career :D

HtV
2007-10-16, 11:06 PM
Hi Martin,

i did some "heavy" testing with this dongle: I started playing a recording and skipped forward/backward a lot of times (at least 30 times in maybe 30 secs) also some skip-x-minutes , I couldn't get it to loose sync.:) So I can only say again: a very nice release.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-10-16, 11:43 PM
Thanks, guys. It's making me feel more comfortable with a 0.3.4 release, I hope to hear feedback especially from those that might be having problems with their MVP on Vista or XP. This one feels closest to the Hauppauge dongle of all I've built and I'd like to point at other causes then PVRX2 and the dongle.

Are you both using the Net Radio patch by any change?

Martin

mvallevand
2007-10-17, 05:15 AM
Sadly my trial with ML2 did terminate on its own after 60 hours with the same collision I've been seeing for all of 1.x mvpmc is getting the request to play a new song in the middle of a screen saver update.

Martin

HtV
2007-10-17, 08:33 AM
.........Are you both using the Net Radio patch by any change?

Yes I'm using the netradio-patch, well I'm using Netradio so I must be using the patch, right? I'll test it today, I'm at home (alone for the next 6 hrs or so) so that'll give me a chance.

cya Hans

pz1
2007-10-17, 11:12 AM
Thanks, guys. It's making me feel more comfortable with a 0.3.4 release, I hope to hear feedback especially from those that might be having problems with their MVP on Vista or XP. This one feels closest to the Hauppauge dongle of all I've built and I'd like to point at other causes then PVRX2 and the dongle.

I will have a look. I am not using the MVP as frequent as I used to.

mvallevand
2007-10-17, 11:36 AM
Thanks, you may have noted in a post to ggee that I did do a small update last night.

Martin

HtV
2007-10-17, 12:32 PM
Thanks, you may have noted in a post to ggee that I did do a small update last night.

Martin

Ok thanks, I missed that one.
It's running now, thanks alot.

cya Hans

Lindsay
2007-10-17, 10:43 PM
Can't say I have driven it hard, Martin, but it looks darn good to me. I will download the newest tweak now.

nia
2007-10-19, 05:45 PM
Hi Martin.

Thank you for your continued efforts. :)

This one loads approx. ˝ sec. slower than the aug. 30 version. It feels robust as a first impression - maybe even a bit snappier in the menus (will measure this for comparison later).

FWD/REW still needs a couple of tries (i.e. wind a couple of times) before there is pictures shown when FFWD'ing. Still better than not having that ability at all though ... :->

I'll see if I can find a file with inherent sync issues and see if this deals with it.

/Niels

PS: I really liked the idea of naming the dongle-release in the archive like with "dongle.bin.mvpmc-20070830". Saves us from doing it and makes it easy to just unzip directly to the dongle directory. Can we have that back please ... :rolleyes:

TobyO
2007-10-19, 06:32 PM
I like this new dongle(OCt 17). I have tried to push it a little with skipping, channel changing, FF and RW and it response to recorded files is fantastic. I see the fastforward and rewind txt ever time after a few seconds. I will try live TV to see how it responds. I have been running for the last 2 days without a crash.

Thx

Toby

mvallevand
2007-10-20, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Nia I don't think I will try and solve the 1/2 second problem, but I think you meant something else I like the idea of naming the dongle, I'll play with my script to see what I can do (it's all automated now). I don't think I can get FF showing video everytime, it is hit or miss and the new code doesn't handle the GOP video very well.

If you use the older remote (or want to test on the newer one), I have uploaded a new alpha dongle that will map 1 to volume down and 3 to volume up during audio play only.

Martin

pz1
2007-10-20, 06:46 AM
The 20071017dongle has proven to be very responsive and stable the last two days.

nia
2007-10-20, 07:40 AM
Nia I don't think I will try and solve the 1/2 second problem (...)
I don't think I can get FF showing video everytime, it is hit or miss and the new code doesn't handle the GOP video very well.

Hi Martin.

The ˝ second is absoLUTELY no problem :o . It was just an observation for you to know how it behaved differently from the previous version on a different installation than your own. You can have a couple of extra seconds for loading if you want... :rolleyes: ;)

FFWD showing video consistently would be very nice - I usually skip, but sometimes FFWD would just do the job much better. But if it's beyond your control then I guess we're out of luck...

It behaved impressively well yesterday. I do believe that it has vastly improved sync, based on a few hickups in a notoriously difficult recording every friday that just went perfect yesterday. But I have to do some proper A/B testing on a problem-file to finally confirm.

mvallevand
2007-10-20, 01:26 PM
FFWD showing video consistently would be very nice - I usually skip, but sometimes FFWD would just do the job much better. But if it's beyond your control then I guess we're out of luck...

It's really more that it is beyond my understanding of the mvpmc demux. I've traced the code through and there is no difference it what I do from when it works to when it doesn't. My suggestion is to see how the native FF works (Go FF) if your network is up to it.

It behaved impressively well yesterday. I do believe that it has vastly improved sync, based on a few hickups in a notoriously difficult recording every friday that just went perfect yesterday. But I have to do some proper A/B testing on a problem-file to finally confirm.

When its needed the new sync code is really good. I think some bugs still exist but like the FF I can't see anything specific. Since it's all based on proper timestamps it probably is more sensitive to bad mpeg frames.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-10-20, 06:13 PM
I must say that this is a great release. I don't know what went wrong with my first test, but I haven't seen any problems since. Thanks Martin!

mvallevand
2007-10-20, 07:36 PM
I must say that this is a great release. I don't know what went wrong with my first test, but I haven't seen any problems since. Thanks Martin!

The new a/v sync code is a bit more finicky when it comes to network traffic interruptions. That is my guess, I don't think it was a timestamp issue.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-11-04, 12:29 PM
For those of you are interested, this code has been sent to the mvpmc codebase and more importantly the nightly is now really the preliminary release candidate for mvpmc 0.3.4 which is also coming out soon. It will be a nice change to be able to recommend a version that will actually be on sourceforge.

Martin

HtV
2007-11-04, 02:06 PM
good for you, congrats.:)

mvallevand
2007-11-04, 02:41 PM
good for you, congrats.:)

Trying to be remembered in my will are you? Thanks to you too. It is nice to see pre 0.3.4 on the about screen and not some weird number with xx local changes.

Martin

HtV
2007-11-04, 03:16 PM
Trying to be remembered in my will are you? Martin

You would probably leave all the old dongles to me, right?:)

Hans

mvallevand
2007-11-04, 03:46 PM
You would probably leave all the old dongles to me, right?:)Hans

I'm still alive and already I picture you and jksmurk aka "The Dongle Meister"
fighting over these dongles.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-11-05, 02:05 AM
I'm still alive and already I picture you and jksmurk aka "The Dongle Meister"
fighting over these dongles.

Martin

That's not a pretty thought.... :p

k.

mvallevand
2007-11-05, 02:58 AM
That's not a pretty thought.... :p

k.

True enough. I'll die laughing.

Martin

HtV
2007-11-05, 12:00 PM
..........I'll die laughing.

Well at least something good has come of it then.;)

Hans

mvallevand
2007-11-20, 03:31 AM
The updated dongle is now on sourceforge, so hopefully new users won't make a mistake with a non-working version

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mvpmc/dongle.bin.mvpmc-0.3.4

Martin