PDA

View Full Version : "new" mvp does not see dongle.bin.config

fhmanas
2007-10-27, 10:59 PM
Hello, as my title says, I got a Helios (MediaMVP) from ebay, it is Revision D3AM, mvpmc loads ok, but it does not see my dongle.bin.config, I have 2 other MVPs (D3A) that load and recognizes dongle.bin.config.

I checked about loading Config, and it says I "must first use a recent version of the Hauppauge server to load the Hauppauge dongle. This software combination saves the server IP address into flash memory."

My question is, does GBPVR 1.016 have the latest dongle loader which stores the ip? Or should I use Hauppauge loader?

mvallevand
2007-10-27, 11:19 PM
Before answering for anyone with a true new model, the revision H's this does not apply. It is for old mvp's no matter when they were purchased.

Actually the only way I tested is with Hauppauge, but if you have a Hauppauge dongle that has the screen that sets the Preferred Server at the beginning that is what you are looking for.

This flash writing has nothing really to do with the server, unlike the options that are only available on the Hauppauge Setup screen with their dongle.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-11-02, 12:16 AM
I used the standard dongle that came with 1.016 and it loads and chooses a preferred server, how would I be able to replicate the choosing of preferred server with mvpmc?

Thanks

mvallevand
2007-11-02, 01:19 AM
I used the standard dongle that came with 1.016 and it loads and chooses a preferred server, how would I be able to replicate the choosing of preferred server with mvpmc?

mvpmc has no way of saving a preferred server because it doesn't write to flash memory. However, since it only uses the address stored in flash to find the the mvpmc share, you can specific the gbpvr server you want on the command line.

You can find out what is stored when you telnet to your mvpmc and type

cat /etc/tftp.config.

If you need to change the stored value you need to load a Hauppauge dongle.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-11-03, 01:28 PM
mvpmc has no way of saving a preferred server because it doesn't write to flash memory. However, since it only uses the address stored in flash to find the the mvpmc share, you can specific the gbpvr server you want on the command line.

You can find out what is stored when you telnet to your mvpmc and type

cat /etc/tftp.config.

If you need to change the stored value you need to load a Hauppauge dongle.

Martin

Forgive me, if I sound dense, but how and where do you specify the gbpvr server I want on the command line. Do I specify it on the GBPVR machine or do I replace the address in the MVP via telnet.

My other 2 MVPs are finding the mvpmc share just fine, it's the third one that's having a problem.

Thanks.

mvallevand
2007-11-03, 01:39 PM
Is your problem connecting to emulation mode or loading an mvpmc share?

If it is the mvpmc share what does this command give you from telnet?

cat /etc/tftp.config

Martin

fhmanas
2007-11-03, 02:05 PM
I was using the standard dongle that came with 1.016 which found my GBPVR server fine. I then reloaded mvpmc, and now it is finding the mvpmc share when before it did not.

I telnet into my mvp and do a cat /etc/tftp.config and it shows the ip of my GBPVR. Did the original dongle do that, I am at a loss, but also happy at the same time that now I can use mvpmc again.

Thanks, Martin.

mvallevand
2007-11-03, 02:10 PM
Glad it works now. Going back to the Hauppauge dongle in 1.0.16 must have reset that value in flash.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-11-03, 02:16 PM
Glad it works now. Going back to the Hauppauge dongle in 1.0.16 must have reset that value in flash.

Martin

So the IP does reside in flash and not with the dongle. I used mvpmc first before using the official dongle when I got the MVP

mvallevand
2007-11-03, 02:24 PM
So the IP does reside in flash and not with the dongle. I used mvpmc first before using the official dongle when I got the MVP

The IP of mvp preferred server is stored in flash, but mvpmc only uses this for locating the mvpmc share. The IP of the GBPVR server for emulation mode purposes is set in the config file via the --emulate xx.xx.xx.xx command line option or via the mvpmc web server otherwise the first one is found.

If you are wondering I did this so that the mvpmc share could be located on a NAS or separate share.

Martin

fhmanas
2007-11-03, 02:43 PM
The IP of mvp preferred server is stored in flash, but mvpmc only uses this for locating the mvpmc share. The IP of the GBPVR server for emulation mode purposes is set in the config file via the --emulate xx.xx.xx.xx command line option or via the mvpmc web server otherwise the first one is found.

If you are wondering I did this so that the mvpmc share could be located on a NAS or separate share.

Martin

Well, that explains why it could not find the mvpmc share, which was my problem.

Thanks for clearing that up.