PDA

View Full Version : Does mvpmc keep the PC running?

cakes
2007-11-02, 08:28 PM
It seems to me that with mvpmc, my PC does no longer go in standby when the application is running (red light on the MVP on). When I shut down the MVP with the green button (red MVP light off), the PC goes in standby without problem.

I can imagine that mvpmc is supposed to behave this way, but I would rather see the PC go in standby. Before using mvpmc I found this annoying, but with this fantastic WOL functionallity, I really don't mind anymore. I would actually enjoy seeing the WOL in action once again... :D

HtV
2007-11-02, 08:39 PM
Why let the pc go into standby and not the mvp?:)
It takes only a few secs to start it.

mvallevand
2007-11-02, 08:43 PM
By my interpretation of the Hauppauge protocol mvpmc sends either a heartbeat or screen update signal to the GBPVR server every 5 seconds. If logging is enabled GBPVR in turn will write a corresponding log entry. As a result, if this network or disk activity is resetting some timer on your PC it might never go into hibernate.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-11-02, 08:52 PM

mvpmc can't go into standby by default since it can't tell by the contents of a screen if it "important" data or just the screen saver logo.

I probably could restore an old version of mvpmc from the earlier testing rounds that crashes more often.

Martin

cakes
2007-11-02, 08:55 PM

The MVP can stay on for ever. Actually on or off does not make a difference when it comes to powerconsumption. For the PC, there are lot's of watts to save... I think it is already bad enough as it is with all our electric toys and their standby power consumption, so if I can minimize, I try.... :rolleyes:

cakes
2007-11-02, 08:57 PM
If logging is enabled GBPVR in turn will write a corresponding log entry. As a result, if this network or disk activity is resetting some timer on your PC it might never go into hibernate.

I have logging with flush enabled. I will experiment with these a bit to see if that helps diskactivity down.

cakes
2007-11-02, 09:00 PM
the Hauppauge protocol mvpmc sends either a heartbeat or screen update signal to the GBPVR server every 5 seconds.

If it is the network activity of this heartbeat, than there is nothing left than educating the wife and kids to push the green button before zapping to the tv.... :eek:

mvallevand
2007-11-02, 09:14 PM
If it is the network activity of this heartbeat, than there is nothing left than educating the wife and kids to push the green button before zapping to the tv.... :eek:

Thinking green, I could do what my cableco's PVR does and that is turn off every day if audio or video aren't being played via a command line switch, ie --em-sleep 01:00 if you wanted to set mvpmc's time in the config file. Would that work?

Martin

cakes
2007-11-02, 10:41 PM
--em-sleep 01:00
What would this do? Stop PVXR2 on the server afer 1hr of inactivity? Or set the server to standby at 1AM? Or something else?

What I would like is that the PC just goes to standby when nobody is using any of the mvp's.

mvallevand
2007-11-02, 11:21 PM
What would this do? Stop PVXR2 on the server afer 1hr of inactivity? Or set the server to standby at 1AM? Or something else?

What I would like is that the PC just goes to standby when nobody is using any of the mvp's.

I alluded to the point that only the server can tell when there is activity, I was suggesting setting a specific time, as in your 1AM example, that the mvpmc would power down if it wasn't receiving any audio or video.

Martin