PDA

View Full Version : Advanced configuration...

psycik
2007-11-12, 01:57 AM
Martin

Every so often the mvp looses the start in emulate mode that I set via the website.

I see there's a way of doing this while on the mvp menus. I set the startup option to Emulate but when I restart it still comes to the mvp menu. Is there a way of "Saving" that option or is that not fully implemented and I should continue to use the web site??

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 02:03 AM
You can do this using the dongle.bin.config file that gets loaded from a mvpmc share. Have you read about this?

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 02:46 AM
yeah I did see that..was looking for a "no computer requried" option... :D and it seemed like the functionality was there.

psycik
2007-11-12, 02:55 AM
You can do this using the dongle.bin.config file that gets loaded from a mvpmc share. Have you read about this?

Martin

I got the impressions from : Instead they try and tftp a config file from your tftp server

That it would try and tftp the config file after loading the dongle? is this true? Fromthe FAQ - http://www.mvpmc.org/index.php?pg=faq

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 02:59 AM
Sorry the mvpmc configuration file isn't written to flash. The design is there but since the dongle has to be loaded from a tftp server really the no computer option doesn't exist. I do load both the dongle and the config file from my NSLU2 NAS device though.

I am a bit surprised you lose it without loading a dongle, since it is only written with the save button from the web page. Maybe ML2 was holding it open ;)

Martin

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 03:01 AM
I got the impressions from : Instead they try and tftp a config file from your tftp server

That it would try and tftp the config file after loading the dongle? is this true? Fromthe FAQ - http://www.mvpmc.org/index.php?pg=faq

Yes if you don't want to run a share you could have a tftp server running. Alternatively maybe one day sub could have a dummy tftp server on port 69 that responds with

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate xx.xx.xx.xx &

like he does with dongle.bin.ver

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 03:02 AM
Sorry the mvpmc configuration file isn't written to flash. The design is there but since the dongle has to be loaded from a tftp server really the no computer option doesn't exist. I do load both the dongle and the config file from my NSLU2 NAS device though.

Can I update it directly on the mvp via telnet? or do I go should that samba share option?

I am a bit surprised you lose it without loading a dongle, since it is only written with the save button from the web page. Maybe ML2 was holding it open ;)

Martin

Probably was, bloody crap piece of software, should ban the author!!

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 03:08 AM
Can I update it directly on the mvp via telnet? or do I go should that samba share option?

Sure issue these commands

killall mvpmc
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate gbpvr-ip &

and exit does the same thing.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 04:46 AM
Yes that is an ambersand & at the end. It opens up a new thread for mvpmc so you can close of the telnet shell properly.

Martin.

psycik
2007-11-12, 04:50 AM
I got the & thanks.

Interesting to watch that run through. So where is that configuration writtin? or it it kept in memory?

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 04:59 AM
I got the & thanks.

Interesting to watch that run through. So where is that configuration writtin? or it it kept in memory?

It's "written" to /etc/browser.config but since the whole file system is RAM I guess it's also kept in memory which is why you lose it when the mvp loses electricity or a new dongle is loaded. Of course being a linux filesystem the file can aways be a symbolic link to a real file if you wanted it persistent.

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 09:23 AM
Not sure if i fully get this.

On my gbpvr server, made the mvpmc share - given guest access.

I use a dongle called: dongle-mvpmc-20070830.bin and so have a config file called dongle-mvpmc-20070830.bin.config

The contents are as follows

mvpmc -a 16:9 --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.100 &

but from this point I'm not sure where to go. Also I tried the mount.cifs etc and it asks for a password on the guest account.

Any tips, or further docs to look at?

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 10:28 AM
The config file must be named dongle.bin.config. The password for guess is normal, but out can just us
-o guest instead of -o username and you won't be prompted for the password.

The only instructions are on the wiki which I've asked others to update with their improvemnt, so far no luck.

http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/Loadconfig

Martin

stefan
2007-11-12, 11:08 AM
The password for guess is normal, but out can just us
-o guest instead of -o username and you won't be prompted for the password.

Sorry to cut in here, but... say what? :)

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 12:24 PM
Sorry to cut in here, but... say what? :)

Serves me right for trying to answer in the middle of the night

Also I tried the mount.cifs etc and it asks for a password on the guest account.

Getting the password prompt on mount.cifs is normal when you use the -o username syntax even for the guest user, but it shouldn't cause an error. You can avoid this by using -o guest syntax ie.

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o guest,ro ;

Martin

stefan
2007-11-12, 12:26 PM
For some reason I can't stop smiling when reading what you wrote. :D

psycik
2007-11-12, 06:08 PM
Serves me right for trying to answer in the middle of the night

Getting the password prompt on mount.cifs is normal when you use the -o username syntax even for the guest user, but it shouldn't cause an error. You can avoid this by using -o guest syntax ie.

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o guest,ro ;

Martin

I think the bit that confuses is when does the mount.cifs happen?? I know i can do it manually, but how does the mvp know to do this?

psycik
2007-11-12, 06:12 PM
Still doesn't seem to like that mount command:

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o guest,ro ;
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 06:15 PM
I think the bit that confuses is when does the mount.cifs happen?? I know i can do it manually, but how does the mvp know to do this?

All you do is create the mpvmc share with a dongle.bin.config inside. The transfer of the dongle causes the mvp to load a linux kernel and the mount.cifs is simply part of the startup script. If you're keen here is what the script looks like

http://git.mvpmc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=mvpmc.git;a=blob_plain;f=dongle/filesystem/tree/etc/rcS

The actual IP used in the script is extracted from flash memory.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 06:20 PM
Still doesn't seem to like that mount command:

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o guest,ro ;
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Is 192.168.1.100 the location of your gbpvr server?

Also this command will tell you where mvpmc will actually look for the mvpmc share

cat /etc/tftp.config

Martin

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 07:06 PM
Is 192.168.1.100 the location of your gbpvr server?

Also this command will tell you where mvpmc will actually look for the mvpmc share

cat /etc/tftp.config

Martin

Martin

Yeah it is..

I've seen in the script where it tries to load the config off the share. But everytime I try the mount command i get that same "mount error 22 - invalid argument"

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 07:27 PM
I've seen in the script where it tries to load the config off the share. But everytime I try the mount command i get that same "mount error 22 - invalid argument"

You have now entered mvpmc share hell. "All your base are belong to us" (for stefan)

Seriously, this is the hardest problem with the share and why it is hardest to write up. The guest account is trivial to setup up on Windows by default, but you have done something to prevent access (remember guest is not everyone access) to your machine and you now have to go through the steps of repairing it. I can point you to some of the links on this forum if you'd like but it might be a bit frustrating. Why do we like computers so much anyway?

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 07:30 PM
ahh, ok, send the links would be interesting.

I re-enabled the guest account as it was disabled, and explicitly added it to the share permissions and to the directory permissions for read/execute.

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 08:18 PM
ahh, ok, send the links would be interesting.

I re-enabled the guest account as it was disabled, and explicitly added it to the share permissions and to the directory permissions for read/execute.

You don't need to enable the guest account it is the guest share that we are dealing with.

1. I would suggest that you ensure you have netbios over tcpip configured

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727013.aspx#EGAA

2. The most important step is to make sure simple file sharing is enable. Here's a link to info on this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

3. You might also have disabled the guest via a registry change

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290403

After doing this I would reboot your XP machine and try again.

Martin

psycik
2007-11-12, 08:33 PM
ahh, well that might be the kicker then, not sure if I'd want simple sharing on, affects to many other things.

mvallevand
2007-11-12, 08:58 PM
It is unfortunate that Microsoft don't allow guest access in their domain strategy. However SFS is really not that bad in a home environment and it is certainly secure enough, the challenge is for people who must connect to other networks away from home.

I've updated the wiki with the information on Simple File Sharing.

You are welcome to leave mvpmc share hell now.

Martin

JavaWiz
2007-11-13, 12:15 AM
Is your mvpmc share on your windows server under "Program Files". If so, that could be your problem. Move it out from under program files and I believe the share will work.

Here is my setup:

dongle = 11-04 version, located in c:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Dongle
mvpmc share = g:\pvr\mpvmc (put the dongle.bin.config here)

lines in config:
mkdir /bubba_video;
mount.cifs //192.168.1.3/pvr /bubba_video/ -o password=guest,rsize=34000;
mount.cifs //192.168.1.3/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc/ -o password=guest,rsize=34000;

mvpmc -a 16:9 --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.3 &

The wMVP boots up, loads the dongle, reads the config and boots right into PVRX2

by pressing GO-Back, I can fall back to the MVPMC menu.

I did not have to set any permissions on the windows box, simply make sure the mvpmc share is NOT under "Program Files".

psycik
2007-11-13, 01:08 AM
Sorry didn't seem to help. I'll just continue with the web config

jksmurf
2007-11-13, 01:55 AM
You have now entered mvpmc share hell. Martin

LOL :D.

Tell me about it .... (Mine's still working though :-) ) !!

k.

onestar
2007-11-14, 10:00 PM
Well just in case this helps,

I've a tftp server setup - more reliable than GBPVR was. In the DHCP server I use, I specify where the tftp server is and what to download. e.g. mvpmc.bin.3.3.b

Then in the tftp directory I have a mvpmc.bin.3.3.b.config file, with the following contents

mkdir /mnt
mkdir /mnt/u
mkdir /mnt/l
mount.cifs //10.3.160.41/media_u /mnt/u -o user=mvp,pass=mvp
mount.cifs //10.3.160.41/mediacenter /mnt/l -o user=mvp,pass=mvp

On the GBPVR box, I have created a user called mvp and with mvp. I have right clicked on the folders I wanted to share, shared them, and gave mvp read access to them. And thats it.

tmrt
2008-01-21, 08:20 PM
It is unfortunate that Microsoft don't allow guest access in their domain strategy. However SFS is really not that bad in a home environment and it is certainly secure enough, the challenge is for people who must connect to other networks away from home.

I've updated the wiki with the information on Simple File Sharing.

You are welcome to leave mvpmc share hell now.

Martin

I was able to avoid Simple File Sharing by creating a user with username"root" in group Guests with blank password on WinXP professional box.

I think that using "-o username=guest,password=,ro" in the startup script instead "-o guest,ro" would enable more elegant solution to the Simple File Sharing issue without the root username.

tmrt

mvallevand
2008-01-21, 09:49 PM
I initially had tried the username=guest... solution but that seemed to be less succesful. Feel free to try the the mvpmc 0.3.3 dongle and let me know if it connect better without simple file sharing.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-01-21, 10:58 PM
I should add for those that really don't want simple file sharing and still want a config file you can install a free tftp server like http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ just place dongle.bin.config in the default download folder and you should be set.

Martin

tmrt
2008-01-22, 01:54 PM
I should add for those that really don't want simple file sharing and still want a config file you can install a free tftp server like http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ just place dongle.bin.config in the default download folder and you should be set.
Martin

I did not try this because I thought it would interfere with the GBPVR builtin tftp server and I do not want to install also a DHCP and NTP server. Is there a possibility to disable the GBPVR builtin tftp server? If possible the above solution is certainly the way to go.

forzaKGB
2008-01-22, 03:07 PM
Would placing the dongle.bin.config in the dongle folder fix things?
Perhaps not since not all files put there gets tftp'd to the MVP. Would be a neat solution though if GBPVR could do this.

If installing this service without disturbing anything thats good, I assume the DHCP and NTP can be switched off?

forzaKGB
2008-01-22, 03:23 PM
Perhaps this will work aswell (no NTP or DHCP as far as I can see):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/

But both might interfere with the GBPVR built-in TFPT funtionality?

mvallevand
2008-01-22, 03:24 PM
I did not try this because I thought it would interfere with the GBPVR builtin tftp server and I do not want to install also a DHCP and NTP server. Is there a possibility to disable the GBPVR builtin tftp server? If possible the above solution is certainly the way to go.

sub would have to confirm, but I believe GBPVR's tftp server listen's on the special Hauppauge service port 16869 and the dongle.bin.config is requested of the standard port 69. I designed is this way so the two could coexist. You could verify this with netstat.

Martin

forzaKGB
2008-01-22, 03:30 PM
Good, will try this tonight if possible. A few shows are recorded but as this won't touch the RecordingService I can still install the TFTP service and fire up the MVP to see if it works.

tmrt
2008-01-22, 06:00 PM
sub would have to confirm, but I believe GBPVR's tftp server listen's on the special Hauppauge service port 16869 and the dongle.bin.config is requested of the standard port 69. I designed is this way so the two could coexist. You could verify this with netstat.

Martin

It is like you said. I installed http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/ and it works for me.

Thanks!

tmrt

Paul Evans
2008-01-23, 05:56 PM
I'm just experimenting with mvpmc
I use gbpvr it boots fine I use latest dongle
With no dongle.bin.config file i get mvpmc menu emulation filesystem etc
this all works fine when I use menu options.
When I use dongle.bin.config file (in simple share directory c:\mvpmc) I can set options to give svideo and 16:9 and these work well.. but I get no option for emulation?
I have tried "mvpmc --sartup emulation --emulate 192.168.0.101 &" to no effect any thoughts? I tried with without &.. and yes my GBPVR is on pc 192.168.0.101

HtV
2008-01-23, 08:32 PM
I have tried "mvpmc --sartup emulation --emulate 192.168.0.101 &" to no effect any thoughts? I tried with without &.. and yes my GBPVR is on pc 192.168.0.101

My dongle.config.bin looks like this:

mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.11 &

Hans

mvallevand
2008-01-23, 10:55 PM
If you don't have the proper syntax (Hans' is correct) then the command should fail, but I am surprised that you don't get the default with emulation mode and everything else.

Martin

Paul Evans
2008-01-24, 10:00 AM
Well I did have a couple of typo's creep in but even corrected I cant get it to go!
here is my dongle.bin.config file

"# mkdir /flac;
# mount.cifs //192.168.0.101/mvpc /flac/ -o password=guest;
#mvpmc -pal
mvpmc -o svideo
mvpmc -a 16:9
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.0.101 &"

I tried commenting in/out -o svideo to check file is beeing accessed... and it behaves as expected. But I cannot get it to go into emulation mode and thereafter into PVRX2?

With a config file (and no startup or emulation options set) I dont even get the emulate or music client option, I only have file system.

This so frustrating as I have just enjoyed the wonders and quality of flac streamed through the MVP out on a spdif to HiFi... !!! wonderful.

Heres another vote for flac support in next version of GBPVR!

mvallevand
2008-01-24, 12:19 PM
You must keep all your command line options on one line, only the first correct line will load. Based on what you have you'd like

mvpmc -o svideo -a 16:9 --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.0.101 &"

Martin

Paul Evans
2008-01-24, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately I wont be in a position to try until Sunday but this sounds promising.. I did note one test anomaly with the -a option on a second line not being effective. Thanks for you help. I will try @ weekend

Paul Evans
2008-01-27, 05:18 PM
Just a quick note to thank you for clarifying the command syntax, this now works as expected ie emulation straight into PVRX2. I also like to Go Back option to menu screen. Just as slight anomoly is that when it goes back to no emulation mode ie menu screen... now both emulation and filesystem are available as options but not mclient.. any thoughts? Without a config file then mclient is available!

Completely seperately, I am interested in Flac playout from the MVP. This I can achieve (without transcoding) as per your post using filesystem and folder share. Are there any other none transcoding options?

Ideally I would like a high quality bitperfect playback option from within GBPVR.. do you know if this will be an option? I did see reference to .flac support but I am not aware if this is transcoded or not. Any links would be appreciated.

Paul Evans
2008-01-27, 05:34 PM
Just a quick note to thank you for clarifying the command syntax, this now works as expected ie emulation straight into PVRX2. I also like to Go Back option to menu screen. Just as slight anomoly is that when it goes back to no emulation mode ie menu screen... now both emulation and filesystem are available as options but not mclient.. any thoughts? Without a config file then mclient is available!

Completely seperately, I am interested in Flac playout from the MVP. This I can achieve (without transcoding) as per your post using filesystem and folder share. Are there any other none transcoding options?

Ideally I would like a high quality bitperfect playback option from within GBPVR.. do you know if this will be an option? I did see reference to .flac support but I am not aware if this is transcoded or not. Any links would be appreciated.

mvallevand
2008-01-27, 07:18 PM
Paul mclient (slimserver client) needs to be setup via the command line just like emulation mode so just add -c xx.xx.xx.xx if you need it and it will be back.

Regarding FLAC audio I've written on it in a few places. http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=32757 and I will reiterate that the files must be named .fla because gbpvr will abort on .flac files on its own.

There is no transcoding, ffmpeg will decompress the file to a pcm format and then recompress the file to flac so it stays lossless. Note an ideal solution but I can live with this. As a minimum I'm hoping that sub will allow .flac files in the next version.

However I have no idea if the mvp's output will be bit perfect since I don't have a card with optical in test The mvp will output the pcm audio through both the analog out (which is very likely not bit-perfect) and as digitial passthrough on the digital port. On the digital out it should be raw PCM of the original audio but there might be a hardware issue or my implementation might be imperfect (who knows I might miss a few bytes here and there). I can tell there is an improvement in sound over mp3 and I have never noticed an audible problem which is good enough for my needs.

Martin