PDA

View Full Version : New alpha dongle Dec. 04

mvallevand
2007-12-05, 01:05 AM
I have uploaded the latest alpha dongle, with code that will be in tomorrow's mvpmc nightly which is designed to improve upon the audio/video sync changes that are in mvpmc 0.3.4 Several users have noted improvements with mythtv and I hope the same applies to emulation mode. In my limited testing it is a little less resource intensive then the last dongle.

As always your feedback is appreciated.

Martin

pcostanza
2007-12-05, 01:11 AM
I have uploaded the latest alpha dongle, with code that will be in tomorrow's mvpmc nightly which is designed to improve upon the audio/video sync changes that are in mvpmc 0.3.4 Several users have noted improvements with mythtv and I hope the same applies to emulation mode. In my limited testing it is a little less resource intensive then the last dongle.

As alway your feedback is appreciated.

Martin
Thanks Martin. How's this look in Vista?

mvallevand
2007-12-05, 01:30 AM
There are no specific changes for Vista, however since that's all I use, I haven't seen or heard any problem with my suite of test video files it should continue to be fine. There could be general improvements for if there was minor stuttering in the last versions.

Martin

pcostanza
2007-12-05, 01:57 AM
Just gave it a quick test with 1 mpeg and 1 divx and the new dongle is working fine for me but I'll try a few more files and see if that continues.
Your work is appreciated.

HtV
2007-12-05, 04:17 PM
Hi Martin,

Just tested it with a file which I had synch problems with(transcoded avi to mpeg). Seemed to work fine now. Great.

Hans

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-05, 09:37 PM
Hi Martin,

I just watched a show and it's working fine, great work. I do have a question, but it's not related to this dongle specificly. I seem to be having some problems with the MVP not responding to my remote while playing a video. I believe I've read about this some time ago, and I was wondering if this is a known problem.

hasso
2007-12-05, 09:51 PM
I seem to be having some problems with the MVP not responding to my remote while playing a video.

I've had the same problem. I use the 0.3.4 dongle and the remote works when I first start GBPVR in emulation mode but after a few minutes of watching a video... no response. The light blinks on the MVP but the only button that works is the Power button.

mvallevand
2007-12-06, 12:37 AM
The only problem I've seen, that I can duplicate sometimes is in livetv if I do some channel changes and then pause livetv a few times GBPVR becomes unresponsive even though the video keeps on playing. I've sniffed the network traffic and the keys are being sent, so I haven't considered it a client problem.

I'd be happy to look at any GBPVR logs that are uploaded to look further into the problem.

Martin

hasso
2007-12-06, 01:24 AM
I'd be happy to look at any GBPVR logs that are uploaded to look further into the problem.
Thanks, Martin for the offer. I'll do some more testing tonight and try the new alpha dongle as well and let you know how it goes.

Turas
2007-12-07, 03:52 PM
i think "remote stops responding" is a common problem with the current dongles and vista. it's also the reason why i currently don't use the mvpmc dongle. i can remember a thread where sub said that hauppauge is still working on a vista dongle. on hauppauge.com they've uploaded a new beta version 3.4 25305 that's supposed to work with vista. i'm currently using that dongle and the remote is much more stable with it. though... i'm missing the wake-on-lan that mvpmc offers. br turas

mvallevand
2007-12-07, 04:42 PM
i think "remote stops responding" is a common problem with the current dongles and vista. it's also the reason why i currently don't use the mvpmc dongle. i can remember a thread where sub said that hauppauge is still working on a vista dongle. on hauppauge.com they've uploaded a new beta version 3.4 25305 that's supposed to work with vista. i'm currently using that dongle and the remote is much more stable with it. though... i'm missing the wake-on-lan that mvpmc offers. br turas

There seems to a continuing comments that people prefer to wait for a Hauppauge dongle then try and improve mvpmc and/or gbpvr. I have yet to get a log can be used to help track this problem down further and I am getting very close to abandoning my involvement with emulation mode with mvpmc too.

Note, I can tell you about five ways to crash the latest Hauppauge hard dongle too.

Martin

HtV
2007-12-07, 04:52 PM
I have yet to get a log can be used to help track this problem down further and I am getting very close to abandoning my involvement with emulation mode with mvpmc too.

:eek::eek:

I haven't had a problem with the latest dongle yet. I might try playing a video (normally I transcode them first) and see what happens. If anything happens I'll post the logs.

Hans

mcervi
2007-12-07, 05:52 PM
There seems to a continuing comments that people prefer to wait for a Hauppauge dongle then try and improve mvpmc and/or gbpvr. I have yet to get a log can be used to help track this problem down further and I am getting very close to abandoning my involvement with emulation mode with mvpmc too.

Noooo! I've been happily using mvpmc for a few months now and been very happy with it. I keep up with your updates and haven't had any problems.

Plus, I'm hoping you'll have luck with getting mvpmc to work on the Popcornhour box (or Sub will find an HD extender directly). The painfully limited MVP is the only think keeping me on analog TV and its getting to the point of frustration. There are things I'd like to record on TV (available as both HD OTA and SD cable) that I don't even bother with because I can't stand the SD picture anymore.

onestar
2007-12-07, 06:08 PM
and I am getting very close to abandoning my involvement with emulation mode with mvpmc too.

Don't quit. I was really happy to see mvpmc move on from .20 (or was it .18). Your work and the others on the mvpmc project is much appreciated. Offering the best of both worlds.

For example, I can go emulation to setup recordings, or find a specific episode. But DVD rips play smoothly in mvpmc mode, (they always stuttered in places via GBPVR).

The only issue I did have in emulation mode was using .33 and .99 GBPVR, after x number of key presses on the remote, the mvpmc would hang or reboot. Haven't tried it recently on .34 (I'm slower nowadays :) )

Turas
2007-12-07, 07:12 PM
didn't want to disappoint anyone. mvpmc emulation mode is a great development. i'll try to produce a log again. keep up the good work m8! br turas

update:
i really do like mvpmc-emulation mode a lot! and i've used it on my xp-server for some time.

your're absolutely right that the hauppauge dongle is crap and makes mvp crash from time to time. but it's very frustrating for me when the remote stops responding. i tried to upload some logs some time ago to support in finding the problem, but it didn't help then. logging wasn't working as necessary with pvrx2 back then.

i'll find the time again now to upload some logs (if necessary at all)! i just started to give it another try. installed the newest alpha dongle and currently i'm viewing livetv with fast forward / rewind / program popup without any problem!

keep you posted about the results.
br turas

mvallevand
2007-12-08, 12:00 AM
Sorry Turas, I didn't mean to imply that I was upset with you or anyone really. The facts haven't really changed since this message http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=30022
and I don't have anything to report, and I don't know where to take it. I know I can no longer try to track this down on my own.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-08, 12:26 AM
... I am getting very close to abandoning my involvement with emulation mode with mvpmc too.... Martin

Plus, I'm hoping you'll have luck with getting mvpmc to work on the Popcornhour box (or Sub will find an HD extender directly). The painfully limited MVP is the only think keeping me on analog TV and its getting to the point of frustration. There are things I'd like to record on TV (available as both HD OTA and SD cable) that I don't even bother with because I can't stand the SD picture anymore.

Nooooooooooooo!
Martin you do a great job.... and there are HD extenders to port to :rolleyes:

k.

jksmurf
2007-12-08, 12:31 AM
Hi Martin,

I just watched a show and it's working fine, great work. I do have a question, but it's not related to this dongle specificly. I seem to be having some problems with the MVP not responding to my remote while playing a video. I believe I've read about this some time ago, and I was wondering if this is a known problem.

Actually I'd like to report I too have had "some problems with the MVP not responding to my remote while playing a video", but not just 4/12, also the previous dongle. I thought it was just my batteries, so I changed those (no improvement), slow rig responding/PVRX2 requiring more grunt (was better before PVRX2 I "think"). I'll try to reproduce it using your steps so some logs can come your way.

Cheers,

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-08, 12:34 AM
The remote problems exists without a doubt. I just haven't isolated it to mvpmc.

Martin

Turas
2007-12-08, 07:20 AM
is gbpvr-logging sufficient now or do we need to use this ...

---
If you want to help from the mvpmc side, the only way to get useful logs from mvpmc is to use this technique

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=186682&postcount=37
---

br turas

mvallevand
2007-12-08, 11:53 AM
Server side is fine, I don't think I've seen any for 1.1.5 anyway. Also when the remote stops responding make sure you try these two mvpmc key combinations:

Go FF - this turns on the mvpmc mode of fast forward and being client side only it shows the client is working ok. Not so useful with livetv

Go Ok - this turns off a lock I have preventing extra keys from queuing up when gbpvr stops responding to a client heartbeat command. Afterwards try your key again. This sounds hopeful but it does nothing for me.
The purpose of the exercise IMHO is to determine why this happens. I could make mvpmc more like the Hauppauge dongle and reboot in this situation but that doesn't sound appealing.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-09, 04:11 PM
I tried for an hour to get the no response issue and couldn't but I did find that video was sticking after a resume/restart once in a while. I noticed that I had a command in there from the Hauppauge protocol that I used to see in sniffing the traffic, that I don't understand anyway so I took it out. I still have to do some tweaking of this because I still find that I have to unintuitively hit the pause key after a restart to get the video to play when it does not respond. This probably applies to all dongles.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-09, 06:44 PM
Hi Martin,

It happened again this afternoon, and I see these lines in the mvplog from gbpvr:

2007-12-09 17:45:33.142 ERROR [6] error sending incremental frame: De externe host heeft een verbinding verbroken
2007-12-09 17:45:33.142 VERBOSE [6] MVP request processed
2007-12-09 17:45:33.142 VERBOSE [6] MVP waiting for data
2007-12-09 17:45:33.142 ERROR [6] handleMVPConnection() exception: De software op uw hostcomputer heeft een verbinding verbroken
2007-12-09 17:45:33.345 VERBOSE [6] bij System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
bij System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)

bij GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()
bij GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xd3faf5962405de4e()
2007-12-09 17:45:33.345 VERBOSE [6] MVPSendStopRequest()
2007-12-09 17:45:33.859 VERBOSE [6] EnableScreenSaver()
2007-12-09 17:45:33.859 VERBOSE [6] getValue cached value: /settings/ScreenSaverEnabled : true
2007-12-09 17:45:33.859 VERBOSE [6] ForceRepaint()
2007-12-09 17:45:33.859 VERBOSE [6] UiList.GetRend

The Go button doesn't seem to work on my remote, so I can't help you with that at this moment. I do have another remote laying around somewhere, so I'll try it sometime in the near future.
Unfortunately I don't know if this log message is the reason the MVP doesn't respond, or if it's because I've turned off the MVP after it stopped responding. I believe that with the Hauppauge dongle this message meant a reboot of the MVP. I have tried the latest Hauppauge dongle for Vista, and I haven't seen the 'no response'-behaviour, but it gave a lot of reboots. To end with a positive note: This is the only problem I'm having with the mvpmc dongle :)

Turas
2007-12-09, 07:26 PM
i'm using the alpha-mvpmc dongle now and it's for sure much more stable than the hauppauge-beta-dongle i've been using before. since the hauppauge dongle did reboot from time to time it's a probably a good assumption that hauppauge "resolves" the "stucking remote", or other problems with a reboot.

i've just had the time for one test yesterday doing live-tv / channel changing / forward / rewind,... test ended with complete video / mvp frozen. guess that's more a gbpvr / multi-receiver problem than a dongle issue.

for this test i used the method from:
logs attached.

in the morning i just let "net-radio" play for about 15 minutes. when i returned the remote was stuck. but i didn't have time to collect the proper logs.

br turas
---

mvallevand
2007-12-09, 07:56 PM
Hi Martin,

It happened again this afternoon, and I see these lines in the mvplog from gbpvr:

Thanks Sheik, those logs don't show want I want, I'd need it back to where I think would see the sockets get blocked which I think relate to "Responding to ping" and "MVP data read: 1 (9)" log messages. For me it's easier just to get the entire log in case there is something else.

However your log snippet is interesting because GBPVR seems to continue to use the same rfb socket after it gives the remote host dropped connection message which doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you running from the command line and not auto-starting a server?

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-09, 10:22 PM
for this test i used the method from:
logs attached.

Thanks Turas. This looks like you did do good test. If you are going to use that method which really really really helps me, that's great but you didn't quite get the syntax right. If you want to run without typing out /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc and instead change directories you need to use ./mvpmc to tell it to run the app from the current directory. It would help if after killing mvpmc you set the time with

rdate -s "ntp server" where the ntp server is your choice.

This ensures the seconds in both logs will be the same.

As for your logs, it looks like your logs end in xarchive not in gbpvr. I don't do any testing with xarchive but if this is something you use a lot it might be the partial source of the problem. I also don't like the looks of those errors on some of your plugins either, I'm not sure what does that the the state of the server but that might be nothing.

Regarding the net radio problem, I know if you hit a key too early in emulation mode the remote is guaranteed to hang later on which I'm pretty sure is an initialization timing issue in pvrx2, similar to the crash if you close PVRX2.exe too early. For me I have used the time of the last BuildChannelProgrammeIndexHints as a rule of thumb to tell me what I consider too early, however for you that took almost thirty seconds (and not my eight), so I am going rethink this.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-10, 03:42 AM
I have fixed one problem with the pause on resume and have uploaded a new alpha. The command to pause a/v was sometimes getting flipped around if multiple plays and stops are received it might fix other problems too. if you use pause a lot I feel this is definitely worth trying.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-10, 08:21 PM
However your log snippet is interesting because GBPVR seems to continue to use the same rfb socket after it gives the remote host dropped connection message which doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you running from the command line and not auto-starting a server?
Martin

Martin, I'm auto-starting two servers and not running from the command line. However, I've read your post to Turas, and now I'm running the debug version of mvpmc. So now we'll just have to wait for the problem to show up. Is autostarting two servers a problem?

Turas
2007-12-10, 09:20 PM
As for your logs, it looks like your logs end in xarchive not in gbpvr. I don't do any testing with xarchive but if this is something you use a lot it might be the partial source of the problem.

since my latest tests showed some errors with plugins again i'll disable all of them before doing the next tests.

mvpmc was quite stable during these tests.
- 3 reboots when changing net-radio-channel; but i think that's been a plugin error.
- "seems-to-hang" during onscreen program-guide. stuck for 10-30s; then the commands from the remote were executed one after another.

however for you that took almost thirty seconds (and not my eight), so I am going rethink this.

maybe that's because i have quite a large xmltv-guide to load - using full descriptions instead of short ones for the shows (~25MB).

will load the new alpha now.
br turas
---

HtV
2007-12-10, 10:07 PM
Hi Martin,

Loaded the latest alpha, did some heavy testing with netradio, livetv, ML2, lot of skipping channelchanging etc etc. Sorry can't help you, no problem whatsoever.:)
I was very pleased with the almost instant skipping in ML2, may have been like this before but haven't used it much, let alone the way I did tonight.;)
So, another great release, thanks alot again.

cya Hans

Turas
2007-12-10, 11:18 PM
the new alpha seems to be really stable!

the remote never really died. you can see in the telnet-trace, that mvpmc is always receiving the keys from the remote.
but nevertheless the video sometimes gets stuck. although most of the time the stream recovers again after 10-30s.

what i noticed:
=> sometimes ff/rewind doesn't show video on first try (just black screen). if you stop and do again it works.
=> the os-tvguide is very slow
=> changing from analog tuner to digi-tuner using channel-key + ok made pic stuck.
=> if you do a ff soon after start of the video, the chance seems higher that video gets stuck

the last video i tested is for sure of a not so good quality. i had some jumps, stutter and sync-issues with the latest hauppauge dongle and that video. but i could watch it till the end and jumping forward / backwards was possible with not too much problems.

=> with mvpmc ff / rewind almost doesn't work at all with that file. video gets stuck very soon. sometimes you have to wait long till it recovers. sometimes it doesn't recover and i did a GO/OK reset. (but as i said before... the remote never got stuck).
=> if you do jump forward it works only sometimes, jump backwards does not jump back at all, instead it sometimes even goes a bit forward.

hope you can use some of this...
logs attached (have to set the timezone next time (TZ=CET-1) - mvpmc-log shows different time than the gbpvr logs:))

br turas
----

mvallevand
2007-12-10, 11:59 PM
Martin, I'm auto-starting two servers and not running from the command line. However, I've read your post to Turas, and now I'm running the debug version of mvpmc. So now we'll just have to wait for the problem to show up. Is autostarting two servers a problem?

Thanks. The only problem with autostarting 2 servers is half the time there won't be a gbpvr log but from the debug side I can still see quite a bit.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-11, 12:06 AM
Hi Martin,

Loaded the latest alpha, did some heavy testing with netradio, livetv, ML2, lot of skipping channelchanging etc etc. Sorry can't help you, no problem whatsoever.:)
I was very pleased with the almost instant skipping in ML2, may have been like this before but haven't used it much, let alone the way I did tonight.;)
So, another great release, thanks alot again.

cya Hans

I expected you to say do this, then this and voila. Seriously, I find pretty much the same as you but we are also both used to mvpmc's limitations like problems with the mini guide. Thanks for the feedback anyway it sure makes me feel better then the email I received telling me to stop lying on the forum, because the mvp couldn't play livetv no matter which dongle was used.

Martin

HtV
2007-12-11, 12:15 AM
..... it sure makes me feel better then the email I received telling me to stop lying on the forum, because the mvp couldn't play livetv no matter which dongle was used.

Let's just say that it's sub's fault, he made gbpvr so good and therefore popular. With so many people you will get some weirdo's and lunatics aswell. Don't let it bug you, keep up the good work, for nice lunatics like me.;)

cya Hans

mvallevand
2007-12-11, 12:25 AM
the new alpha seems to be really stable!

the remote never really died. you can see in the telnet-trace, that mvpmc is always receiving the keys from the remote.
but nevertheless the video sometimes gets stuck. although most of the time the stream recovers again after 10-30s.

That's what I've found which is why this is so hard to diagnose. Thanks for the logs lots to digest. Note these logs were from the 12/04 mvpmc.zip. I will see if I updated it.

=> sometimes ff/rewind doesn't show video on first try (just black screen). if you stop and do again it
works.

Known problem. The workaround to #1 is short skip or to use mvpmc's Go FF. I doubt I will be able to fix this

=> the os-tvguide is very slow

Known. I think this can be improved. gbpvr can help by sending screens less often.

=> changing from analog tuner to digi-tuner using channel-key + ok made pic stuck.

I have this problem too but I thought it related to AC3 audio. Are you saying it works with the Hauppauge dongle.

=> if you do a ff soon after start of the video, the chance seems higher that video gets stuck

I will check this.

the last video i tested is for sure of a not so good quality. i had some jumps, stutter and sync-issues with the latest hauppauge dongle and that video. but i could watch it till the end and jumping forward / backwards was possible with not too much problems.

=> with mvpmc ff / rewind almost doesn't work at all with that file. video gets stuck very soon. sometimes you have to wait long till it recovers. sometimes it doesn't recover and i did a GO/OK reset. (but as i said before... the remote never got stuck).

Can you put this file in your mvpmc share and play it from the native mvpmc file system? I'm curious if this is a demux or emulation mode problem.

=> if you do jump forward it works only sometimes, jump backwards does not jump back at all, instead it sometimes even goes a bit forward.

I'll check the bAck skip.

=>hope you can use some of this...

Thanks Every little bit of new information helps.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-11, 03:15 AM
Turas, I noticed that you had a lot of AYUVMode8 updates in your mvpmc logs and so checking further and I noticed this

getValue: /settings/MVPForceMinimalOSD : false

I really haven't done much testing with Force minimal OSD unchecked so more than a specific problem this could be the general source of the timeouts. In many ways your logs looked pretty good. If I remember correctly the only value to me with this setting was knowing the channel numbers in live tv and it wasn't worth the reduced stability I experienced early on in the emulation mode testing cycle.

Right now I'm not sure how many people are able to even use this feature reliably with either the Hauppauge or mpvmc dongle. I will spend an hour or so with it on to see if there are specific problems where you identified them. At the same time, if possible I'd like to know from you if unchecking this improves stability with mvpmc for you especially in Net Radio which has been rock solid for me in 1.1.5

Sub if you are reading this thread do you have idea how well this setting works on the MVP? I am pretty sure it is off by default for a reason. Also, is there anyway that the MVP logs could display the MVPForceMinimalOSD setting? For sure it is something I would like to key on.

Martin

sub
2007-12-11, 04:05 AM
The MVP is a bit of a pig when trying to play video and show the OSD, so the default is to show minimal amounts of OSD info, making things seem much more responsive.

Turas
2007-12-11, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the logs lots to digest. Note these logs were from the 12/04 mvpmc.zip. I will see if I updated it.

i downloaded the most recent one before i started the test.

I have this problem too but I thought it related to AC3 audio. Are you saying it works with the Hauppauge dongle.

no. channel-changing from analog to digital has always been a problem. better to stop the digi-channel and start the analog one afterwards.

Can you put this file in your mvpmc share and play it from the native mvpmc file system? I'm curious if this is a demux or emulation mode problem.

will do that.

br turas
---

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 06:09 AM
Sorry turas, I did forgot to uploaded the modified mvpmc.zip on the 9th.

Regarding changing channels between digital and analog it worked better than I remembered tonight clicking channel numbers, prev channel and even using the mini guide, even with the full OSD on I didn't lose the remote. I had hoped that there was something more I had to work on here.

Martin

Turas
2007-12-12, 07:09 AM
when i browse the filesystem on mvp, only directories are shown. so i can't playback the mpg directly. what do i miss? turas

Lindsay
2007-12-12, 09:29 AM
Martin, don't know whether this is the right place for this or not.

Tonight, using 4 Dec dongle, played a recording but using exit button at end I got a black screen. Eventually a screen came up but it wasn't handling remote commands at all well. It seemed to store (discard?) them then a screen would change. Had to pwr the mvp off and on to restore service.

Sorry I am not clever enough to get your telnet logging going. Don't even know if this is the one you have been tracking.

Lindsay.

PS Don't worry about the bastard who slagged you off by email. There are far more of us than him! (grammar not good!!).

pz1
2007-12-12, 11:11 AM
Martin,
Please accept my continued support for this dongle. I have not been active here recently, but I am testing all new dongles you release. I do have a lot of jerky live TV and video lately, but I am pretty sure it are NOT the dongles that cause it. So do not get upset about nasty emails.
Pieter

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 12:51 PM
when i browse the filesystem on mvp, only directories are shown. so i can't playback the mpg directly. what do i miss? turas

Offhand that could be two things

1 - the file is not an mpeg/mpg file. Without the vlc interface only native video formats are supported. If this is the case, the o-t-f transcoding could actually be the source of the problem.

2. When files are moved files into a Windows share they have won't have be given Guest permission. I use the calcs command line tools to show the permissions and if guest is not on use this syntax

cacls filename /E /G Guest:R

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 12:53 PM
Tonight, using 4 Dec dongle, played a recording but using exit button at end I got a black screen. Eventually a screen came up but it wasn't handling remote commands at all well. It seemed to store (discard?) them then a screen would change. Had to pwr the mvp off and on to restore service.

That sounds like the problem, but it isn't specific to the Dec. 4th dongle, because there was no emulation mode change in it. The GBPVR logs are still helpful, I am trying to see when the blocking starts.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 01:03 PM
Martin,
Please accept my continued support for this dongle. I have not been active here recently, but I am testing all new dongles you release. I do have a lot of jerky live TV and video lately, but I am pretty sure it are NOT the dongles that cause it. So do not get upset about nasty emails.
Pieter

Thanks Pieter (and everyone else). The email didn't really bother me, but when added to some other comments on the forum it did make me think that maybe I am the only one having a good level of success. If nothing else it helped push me to find a potential problem with the pause.

As for the the jerkiness the new command line option to return the demux to the original state is --no-seek-sync if you feel that could be the problem.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-12, 01:45 PM
Martin,

I used the mvpmc test file in my dongle config dir and Putty using the method here (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=186682&postcount=37)and took screen captures. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing but if it is correct I hope it helps.

I am trying to give you some feedback for my non-responsive remote (new batts).

Steps Taken:

d/loaded the mvpmc file from http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/mvpmc.zip (no extension) - I THINK you need to d/l this again following each new dongle release.
Unzip it into C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Dongle\mvpmc where the dongle.bin.config resides. [EDIT]The folder is shared, BUT you "might" need to right click the file and ADD share permissions for Guest, if it hasn't already done so during the unzip. If you unzip to desktop and then drag to the share dir, you will likely need to do this. I forgot the first time.
Set Putty (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe) profile 192.168.1.200 (MY mvpmc IP reserved by my router) on Port 23, telnet. [EDIT]Suggest you also enable logging in PuTTy (and SAVE the profile after you choose logging)!
telnetted to mvpmc, got screen 192.168.1.200 login:
Typed in "root" at login: prompt
Got "BusyBox v1.1.3 (2007.10.11-03:43+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands."
Issued killall mvpmc. Got a bunch of killall mvpmc messages. See attached jpg.
After "killing mvpmc" you should set the time with: rdate -s "ntp server" where the ntp server is your choice. e.g. time.windows.com, asia.pool.ntp.org. See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers. This ensures the seconds in both logs will be the same. e.g. rdate -s time.windows.com
Issued "/etc/mvpmc/mvpmc -m pal -a 16:9auto -o svideo -o passthru --flicker 2 --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &" NOTE: The contents of YOUR dongle.bin.config will MOST LIKELY be different! "mvpmc --emulate 192.168.1.10 &" is a simple test alternative, but you still need your Server's IP (mine is 192.168.1.10).
Went downstairs, chose emulation mode on mvpmc, navigated around to see if same lag (slow) or non-responsive remote key presses persisted.
Issued ctrl-c:killed this mvpmc. [EDIT]The only thing ctrl-c doesn't really kill mvpmc when you put the & at the end of the command line, but it will exit the telnet shell leaving mvpmc running.

I wrote it as above so maybe other folks can help you by stepping through this (for me) a little daunting, but not impossible procedure.

k.

p.s.
1. Sorry I forgot to enable the putty.log, hope the screen captures are OK.
2. Do you need mvpmc logs from gbpvr? Attached.

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 06:48 PM
Turas and k there is a similarity in both your logs as I seem to see this as the final line that shows.

2007-12-12 19:31:22.903 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]

I have no idea what this error means or where it comes from, but it is a place to start.

k, thanks alot there I will digest things more when I get home. You may have an issue with share permissions and I suggest you look at the file attributes with cacls as I suggested to turas. Alternative if you unzip mvpmc directly into that folder the proper permissions should be created.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-12-12, 06:59 PM
Sorry, Martin, I should have attached the logs.

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-12, 09:25 PM
Hi Martin,

Today I had two moments where the MVP didn't respond to my remote. It happened at 21:37 and 22:00. I didn't make the screenshots when it happened, because I thought I could go back in the output of Putty. Later that evening I did press Ctrl+C to stop the log from refreshing all the time, trying to make a screenshot.
However, at 21:37 I did see something like "Broken Pipe" in the log, is this any help? How can I make sure I don't lose the logs the next time?

OK, I found an option in Putty: lines of scrollback. It's set at 200, and I've just changed it to 20000. Now I'm hoping the problem returns tomorrow!

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 10:00 PM
Thanks Sheik, I will have a look this evening.

For everyone helping with client side logs, rather then using Putty a much more "transparent" solution is available if you can make your mvpmc share read/write and enable this in your config file with these two changes.

1) Add

mount.cifs //ip/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o guest

2) Change the config file from

mvpmc options &

to

/etc/mvpmc/mvpmc options > /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc.log &

You can modify this to write to any share you'd like.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-12, 11:18 PM
k, thanks alot there I will digest things more when I get home. You may have an issue with share permissions and I suggest you look at the file attributes with cacls as I suggested to turas. Alternative if you unzip mvpmc directly into that folder the proper permissions should be created. Martin

Doh, that dreaded share thing again. Yes you are correct (edited psot above) I didn't unzip directly to my share, but added a Guest share (presumably this is sufficient?) and it seems to accept that long config line except it gives me

# /etc/mvpmc/defaults: /etc/mvpmc/defaults: 1: CONF: not found
/etc/mvpmc/defaults: /etc/mvpmc/defaults: 1: : not found

I do have a defaults file, it is shared, so I am not sure what gives there.

I'll try emulation and logs (or I might try your other method...)

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 11:21 PM
It's not /etc/mvpmc/defaults it's /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc In your last message you wrote it wrong but your putty logs were ok, so I didn't say anything.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-12, 11:37 PM
It's not /etc/mvpmc/defaults it's /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc In your last message you wrote it wrong but your putty logs were ok, so I didn't say anything.

Martin :o Too many blond moments... have been editing my original post (can you check if OK, in case anyone else follows this method?).

Will try again later, need to go to work!

k.

jksmurf
2007-12-12, 11:49 PM
How do I get PuTTy session logging to stick? I choose session logging but it never produces a file?

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 11:50 PM
:o Too many blond moments... have been editing my original post (can you check if OK, in case anyone else follows this method?).

Will try again later, need to go to work!

k.

That is better. The only thing ctrl-c doesn't really kill mvpmc when you put the & at the end of the command line, but it will exit the telnet shell leaving mvpmc running.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-12, 11:53 PM
How do I get PuTTy session logging to stick? I choose session logging but it never produces a file?

k.

If you are running from a saved profile, load the profile, update the settings you want and save the profile.

Martin

ggee
2007-12-13, 03:08 AM

k.

I find that even though the logging properties is specifying a default log file, I still have to choose "Browse" to pick a location for the file to be created.

Greg

mvallevand
2007-12-13, 04:34 AM
Hi Martin,

Today I had two moments where the MVP didn't respond to my remote. It happened at 21:37 and 22:00. I didn't make the screenshots when it happened, because I thought I could go back in the output of Putty. Later that evening I did press Ctrl+C to stop the log from refreshing all the time, trying to make a screenshot.
However, at 21:37 I did see something like "Broken Pipe" in the log, is this any help? How can I make sure I don't lose the logs the next time?

Your GBPVR logs actually look really really, good probably the best match to how I expect to see the data. I don't have logs that consistent to the way mvpmc is sending data on the sockets. I see nothing abnormal at 22:00 at all. At 21.37 I do so about 30 seconds where GBPVR didn't respond but that is about it. I especially will need to see your client side logs.

The Broken Pipe isn't a reall problem unless it is looping on the message, typically it just means that a constant video feed has be interrupted, maybe by a channel change, ff/rw skip etc.

Martin

mvallevand
2007-12-13, 04:54 AM

Lindsay from your logs I definitely see huge delays when you hit the exit on one file. Two screen updates which should be sub-second took minutes to display which would be black screen

2007-12-12 21:25:05.416 VERBOSE [6] User pressed: 32
2007-12-12 21:25:05.416 VERBOSE [6] about to call OnKeyDown()
2007-12-12 21:25:05.426 VERBOSE [6] OnKeyDown() complete
2007-12-12 21:25:05.426 VERBOSE [6] MVP sending frame
2007-12-12 21:25:32.448 VERBOSE [6] Y/Y2 buffer: 48050 bytes
2007-12-12 21:25:32.499 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32839 bytes (sent:48050)
2007-12-12 21:26:02.666 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32839 bytes@2
2007-12-12 21:26:02.666 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32839 bytes@3 (sent:32839)
2007-12-12 21:26:02.666 VERBOSE [6] incremental frame sent
2007-12-12 21:26:02.683 VERBOSE [6] MVP sending frame
2007-12-12 21:26:32.813 VERBOSE [6] Y/Y2 buffer: 48063 bytes
2007-12-12 21:26:32.861 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32845 bytes (sent:48063)
2007-12-12 21:27:03.043 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32845 bytes@2
2007-12-12 21:27:03.043 VERBOSE [6] U/V buffer: 32845 bytes@3 (sent:32845)
2007-12-12 21:27:03.043 VERBOSE [6] incremental frame sent

During this time all the mvpmc screen update requests queue up until they all seem to be released at

2007-12-12 21:27:33.442

I can't imagine why is taking this long, but is something for me to look deeper at but I will review my end of stream code.

Martin

Lindsay
2007-12-13, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your trouble, Martin. In your own time. Help appreciated.

jksmurf
2007-12-13, 12:37 PM
OK, I think I have logs for you.

I did the Putty keystrokes, then played aorund with button presses for about 2 to 3 mins then watched ER (about 45 mins), pausing & rewinding on occasion. There were a couple of instances where the remote didn't respond, or not instantly or not until a second press.

The putty log has a few "ping stuck" and "broken pipe" messages but apart from that doesn't look too bad?

I got this error in MVP-PVRX2.exe.log. Wonder if it's because I used Xrecord and skinning is not OK?

2007-12-13 19:17:28.611 INFO [6] Reading path Converter3
2007-12-13 19:17:28.611 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]
2007-12-13 19:18:51.310 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]
2007-12-13 19:18:51.310 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]
2007-12-13 19:20:07.359 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]
2007-12-13 19:20:07.359 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]
2007-12-13 20:10:14.453 WARNING [6] requested skin file not found: C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\skin2\blue\Video Library\mmc.xml
2007-12-13 20:10:14.683 ERROR [6] Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
2007-12-13 20:10:14.824 ERROR [6] at GBPVRX2.x2be64c56dcebf65e.x329d6ba583621f49(Boolea n x19ea53fbdff360c7)
at GBPVRX2.x2be64c56dcebf65e.PopulateListWidget()
at GBPVRX2.BaseButtonListUiTask.initialise()
at GBPVRX2.x2be64c56dcebf65e.initialise()
at GBPVRX2.BaseButtonListUiTask.Activate()
at GBPVRX2.MenuTask.xd2a3a83a17aec615.OnKeyDown(KeyEv entArgs e)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()
2007-12-13 20:10:37.005 WARNING [6] requested skin file not found: C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\skin2\blue\Recordings\mmc.xml

This was probably a killall mvpmc effect

2007-12-13 19:11:35.152 VERBOSE [12] About to load listings for: TVB Pearl
2007-12-13 19:11:35.233 ERROR [6] MVP Exception: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
2007-12-13 19:11:35.243 ERROR [6] at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xe1a1ccdd0f419e78()
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()
2007-12-13 19:11:35.243 VERBOSE [6] getValue() loading new key/value into cache: /settings/Culture

This one is VERY ugly, but it's from JULY... :-)

2007-07-06 11:01:20.525 ERROR [14] Unexpected error in MVP async handler: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer)
at GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xcca58d4608994dd8(Point x557cda7ca079f710, Rectangle x19534874af95b268, Bitmap x84901bd355736ef6, Boolean x484012b92f24af4e)
at GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xe75b6be209ce111f(Image x84901bd355736ef6)
at GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.x458c85690540575e()
2007-07-06 11:01:20.685 ERROR [14] Unexpected error in MVP async handler: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xcca58d4608994dd8(Point x557cda7ca079f710, Rectangle x19534874af95b268, Bitmap x84901bd355736ef6, Boolean x484012b92f24af4e)
2007-07-06 11:01:20.785 ERROR [14] Unexpected error in MVP async handler: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
2007-07-06 11:01:21.015 ERROR [14] Unexpected error in MVP async handler: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
2007-07-06 11:01:21.326 ERROR [14] MVP Timer Refresh error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
2007-07-06 11:01:21.336 ERROR [14] at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at GBPVR.xbb1566157f5f8b1f.xb1cbc922a07ef39b(Object xdf2e3583f942db7b, EventArgs xc4f45905cb1fc7ba)

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-13, 01:17 PM
k, thanks I will have look latter. Was there a specific problem in these logs though were you completely lost access?

You do seem to be missing this file http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=244191&postcount=36

The problem of missing a few keystrokes though is by design. While mvpmc is waiting for the return of heartbeat signal I don't allow keystrokes to be send, the stuck message. This is to avoid the situation that you had where you hit five keystrokes in one second. If I had queued those gbpvr would have had to deal with 2 channel ups and 3 channels downs which would have been very odd. I explained the pipe error in an earlier message.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-13, 08:48 PM
It worked, I've got a client log and a moment where the the mvp didn't respond to my remote! The time was aprox. 20:32. I hope you can make something of this, Martin.

mvallevand
2007-12-13, 09:54 PM
It worked, I've got a client log and a moment where the the mvp didn't respond to my remote! The time was aprox. 20:32. I hope you can make something of this, Martin.

Thanks Sheik, I see the issue, and will look further. Can you let me know if your problem is usually a temporary issue or the if the remote is dieing and you need to kill everything with the green button power off.

Sub, in the server side log, when the problem occurred I noticed a message on the rfb stream that I don't recognize, DisplayStillInUse. What is this message?

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-13, 10:37 PM
k, thanks I will have look latter. Was there a specific problem in these logs though were you completely lost access?No, no complete loss of access, just a delay sometimes, you press a key Left or Right or Up or Down mostly and , it wasn't as bad during this session as sometimes, where it acts like a dead remote.

You do seem to be missing this file http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=244191&postcount=36

Good catch!

The problem of missing a few keystrokes though is by design. While mvpmc is waiting for the return of heartbeat signal I don't allow keystrokes to be send, the stuck message. This is to avoid the situation that you had where you hit five keystrokes in one second. If I had queued those gbpvr would have had to deal with 2 channel ups and 3 channels downs which would have been very odd. I explained the pipe error in an earlier message. Martin

OK.
k.

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-13, 10:46 PM
Thanks Sheik, I see the issue, and will look further. Can you let me know if your problem is usually a temporary issue or the if the remote is dieing and you need to kill everything with the green button power off.
Martin
Thanks for your effort, Martin!
It's temporary. Eventually the mvp starts responding again, but sometimes I think it's taking too long, so I power off.

mvallevand
2007-12-14, 03:41 AM
No, no complete loss of access, just a delay sometimes, you press a key Left or Right or Up or Down mostly and , it wasn't as bad during this session as sometimes, where it acts like a dead remote.

What I really now need to see now from everyone is what happens after the Go Ok is hit. Every client log has shown mvpmc doing things in exactly the order I expect and with no unusual socket errors.

I did notice that for each time that Sheik described a pause there was a DisplayStillInUse message so if sub elaborates on this there might be a clue.

Also could everyone confirm the date on their mvpmc file as being the 9th I checked the site again and it does some to be the Dec 9th version, I haven't seen this version Note if you use the /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc you don't need to reload the dongle the killall restart is fine even from the share.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-14, 03:51 AM
What I really now need to see now from everyone is what happens after the Go Ok is hit. Every client log has shown mvpmc doing things in exactly the order I expect and with no unusual socket errors. Wow, good dongle! OK, will do :-)

Also could everyone confirm the date on their mvpmc file as being the 9th I checked the site again and it does seem to be the Dec 9th version, I haven't seen this version.I did d/l the file again after you noted in another thread that it doesn;t seem to have been updated. I believe the Sunday, 9 December 2007, 11:12:30 p.m. datestamp is correct.

Note if you use the /etc/mvpmc/mvpmc you don't need to reload the dongle the killall restart is fine even from the share. Martin
:confused:

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-14, 04:04 AM
When I run from a share I see

Version a646f958fe2cbd9a8fba59cb31491d1c6a5a6477 with 52 local changes
Sun Dec 9 22:16:48 EST 2007

The third point was if you are running from a share there is no reason to unplug your mpv to go from the 4th to 9th version.

Martin

leaded1
2007-12-14, 06:07 PM
I have had the dead remote issue in the past, and have been following this thread. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I was getting an unresponsive remote yesterday ( Dec 4th dongle) and the "Go" "OK" sequence seemed to get everything back to normal again.
-Edit-
Tried again today with the December 9th dongle. Got unresponsive remote after 10-15 minutes in one recorded TV show. The commands (several pauses presses, one skip back) did not execute before the end of the recording (~ 5-10 minutes). The video exited to the Play/Delete/Close pop-up at the end of the recording, with the remote still not responding. Pressed Go OK and and the remote responded. (pop-up closed and I could navigate the recordings list)

Hope this is helpful

mvallevand
2007-12-14, 08:12 PM
I have had the dead remote issue in the past, and have been following this thread. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I was getting an unresponsive remote yesterday and the "Go" "OK" sequence seemed to get everything back to normal again.

P.S. Still using the Dec 4th dongle, I'll switch to the Dec 9th today and keep playing.

Thanks leaded1. I have yet to see an instance in the client logs where the "Go OK" would have actually fixed things so you may have just been experiencing a temporary loss of response but we shall see with more client reports.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-14, 11:52 PM
When I run from a share I see

Version a646f958fe2cbd9a8fba59cb31491d1c6a5a6477 with 52 local changes
Sun Dec 9 22:16:48 EST 2007

The third point was if you are running from a share there is no reason to unplug your mpv to go from the 4th to 9th version.

Martin

Just trying to do the Go OK test for you. How do I get to see all those numbers? I have d/l and reset in Config MVP the 12 Dec dongle twice now and while it ends in 77 (all I can read as it loads) the DATE says Dec 4th on the MVP (TV) Screen :confused::confused:. Will try d/l again.

k.
[EDIT]After this d/l 9th dongle works now. Sorry, but odd!

jksmurf
2007-12-15, 12:14 AM
Odd, after I had seen the 9th Dec date with 50 changes ON the TV screen, the Putty log says this:

MediaMVP Media Center
Version a646f958fe2cbd9a8fba59cb31491d1c6a5a6477 with 35 local changes

Do you think another dongle (I have several, including one call dongle.bin) is being loaded from my dongle dir ?? Like I said when I load it via GBPVR it works fine, says the 9th date, but I don't know of that putty line "loads" a different one?

Anyway I attach all the logs, hope it helps you some. Looks pretty innocuous though, one stuck

18:06:58 MVP keymap 16 = 11
18:06:59 Timer 0 Ping - 10 5000
18:06:59 Ping stuck avoid Keystroke 0 11 232
18:07:00 YUV2 update 44 40 640 500

I went into Xrecord and keyed around a bit UDLR and then hit Go OK about 10 times, with varying intervals between Go and OK.

It was me that did a "Go back" (after all my Go OK key presses) btw, so the peer reset was by me.

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-15, 12:29 AM
The only thing I can think of is you aren't updating the mvpmc in you mvpmc share. Maybe you think you are unzipping it, but because because is open wth mvpmc it is actually locked. Up need to first killall or ctrl-c the mpvmc process.

It doesn't really matter which dongle you load as long it is in the 0.3.4 family.

For the logs I want to see what the reset does after the remote gets stuck. From the client side it forces another heartbeat to be sent on its next cycle and allow you to put another remote click into the buffer. In your case I think every thing is running like clockwork there is the ping/heartbeat every 10 seconds as expected.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-15, 01:00 AM
The only thing I can think of is you aren't updating the mvpmc in you mvpmc share. Maybe you think you are unzipping it, but because because is open wth mvpmc it is actually locked. Up need to first killall or ctrl-c the mpvmc process.

I think it's OK, I did an extract test and the correct one is already there.

It doesn't really matter which dongle you load as long it is in the 0.3.4 family.OK. Just out of interest though, is the one PuTTy reports the one that is loaded? If so why is it different to teh one GBPVR loads? Should I have called the 9 Dec one dongle.bin and make it the only dongle in the dongle dir for the test?

In your case I think every thing is running like clockwork there is the ping/heartbeat every 10 seconds as expected.
MartinWow. All with just a PIII 1.2GHz too :p

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-15, 01:10 AM
That screen shoot is still Dec 4th. I just downloaded it and it is Dec 9th Maybe you have a browser cache issue.

unzip -v "mvpmc.zip"
Archive: mvpmc.zip
Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ----- ---- ---- ------ ----
2693806 Defl:N 1082011 60% 09/12/07 23:13 91790b4e mvpmc

I was going to say something about how well I thought your PC was running. especially handling putty and a little extra telnet network traffic too.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-15, 03:33 AM
That screen shoot is still Dec 4th. I just downloaded it and it is Dec 9th Maybe you have a browser cache issue.
Martin

Nope. :o. I was talking about the Alpha Dongle, you were talking about mvpmc test dongle? I downloaded the 9 Dec test dongle...here is the same sequence as above again. Again, no obvious problems?

The only real error is one of the MVP logs with

2007-12-15 11:22:48.356 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]

but it doesn't seem to affect much (anything)?

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-15, 06:25 AM
Again, no obvious problems?

The only real error is one of the MVP logs with

2007-12-15 11:22:48.356 ERROR [6] Unable to find node: /settings/Custom/ConverterElement[@name="converter3"]

It's hard to tell problems because you don't set the mvp time with the rdate command but I'd say your putty log this time isn't as good as earlier but it doesn't really map to a server side log that I could find. It looks like you were trying to navigate during an EPG update or something else making screen updates every second but I couldn't determine. I would definitely avoid the remote when the server is so active with the screens.

I notice too your GBPVRRecordingService.exe.log has some really verbose logging going on also during what looks like an EPG update, it might be related to some problems. I'm talkling over 20,000 lines of logs in two seconds. There wouldn't be much room for other processes in that time.

I don't like that that converter3 error still appearing at the bottom of your logs but I have no idea where this is from or what it means or the impact.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2007-12-15, 01:34 PM
What I really now need to see now from everyone is what happens after the Go Ok is hit. Every client log has shown mvpmc doing things in exactly the order I expect and with no unusual socket errors.

Also could everyone confirm the date on their mvpmc file as being the 9th

Hi Martin,

Yes, I'm using the file of the 9th. I had some trouble testing this key combination, since the Go key isn't programmed into my OneForAll, and the batteries of my Hauppauge remote were almost dead. But I've got new batteries now, so here's my result.
Unfortunately, the Go OK does nothing for me. I've attached the logs, the problem occured around 13:58. Are you on to something at this moment? What do you think could be the cause of this problem? Just curious :)

mvallevand
2007-12-15, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately, the Go OK does nothing for me. I've attached the logs, the problem occured around 13:58. Are you on to something at this moment? What do you think could be the cause of this problem? Just curious :)

Sheik, thanks for going through the extra trouble. I couldn't imagine a better set of logs for demonstrating the problem. Go OK isn't supposed to fix this, it just allows extra traffic out to help with analysis of problem, in someways it hurt thing because gbpvr got some extra skip commands.

I will be posting more details later but for the temporary death problem I don't think I need anymore logs from you. The logs I still am hunting for are for when the remote doesn't recover.

Martin

jksmurf
2007-12-15, 11:53 PM
Martin,

After killing mvpmc, I'm trying to set the server time (as you asked for) with:

rdate -s asia.pool.ntp.org

I tried some other servers at http://www.pool.ntp.org/ but all of them time out or refuse? Is there a syntax issue I'm not doing correctly or is it different between those issued via Putty and Windows? Do you have a working Server?

Ta

k.

mvallevand
2007-12-16, 12:51 AM
Everyone has their favourites but this looks ok for hk and it worked fine from here in Canada.

rdate -s stdtime.gov.hk

Martin

UncleJohnsBand
2007-12-16, 01:00 AM
Just hopped on board with this......seems to be working fine.

Is there any type of PC Client Emulator for mvpmc?

jksmurf
2007-12-16, 01:18 AM
Everyone has their favourites but this looks ok for hk and it worked fine from here in Canada.

rdate -s stdtime.gov.hk

Martin

Cool that works, thanks M!

k.

UncleJohnsBand
2007-12-16, 01:35 AM
Server side is fine, I don't think I've seen any for 1.1.5 anyway. Also when the remote stops responding make sure you try these two mvpmc key combinations:

Go FF - this turns on the mvpmc mode of fast forward and being client side only it shows the client is working ok. Not so useful with livetv

Go Ok - this turns off a lock I have preventing extra keys from queuing up when gbpvr stops responding to a client heartbeat command. Afterwards try your key again. This sounds hopeful but it does nothing for me.
The purpose of the exercise IMHO is to determine why this happens. I could make mvpmc more like the Hauppauge dongle and reboot in this situation but that doesn't sound appealing.

Martin

The remote was locked but when I hit the Go FF I was able to get it to FF....then hit play and went back to standard speed.....tried hitting pause....nothing...no other buttons worked. Video endded....no buttons worked.....had to green power button off/on to get it to work.

Sub, in the server side log, when the problem occurred I noticed a message on the rfb stream that I don't recognize, DisplayStillInUse. What is this message?

Martin

Green button power off/on to get rid of my problem.

Just wanted to post that I am experiencing this as well....I never experienced this before switching over to mvpmc dongle so I have to assume that is what it is.

It sounds from some of the other posts you have identified the problem and working on it.....is that correct?

mvallevand
2007-12-16, 02:37 AM
Just wanted to post that I am experiencing this as well....I never experienced this before switching over to mvpmc dongle so I have to assume that is what it is.

It sounds from some of the other posts you have identified the problem and working on it.....is that correct?

Unfortunately I'm no closer than I ever was except that I now know there are two problems the full rc client block requiring the green power button and the brief rc stops responding problem. I don't understand the green button problem at all.

Emulation mode will probably compile for cygwin, but someone would have to code all the machine specific support libraries. Here is documentation on all the missing functions.

Martin

Turas
2007-12-22, 07:48 AM
hi,
didn't have time for tests recently. should be better next week. i'll catch up on the forum-news and do some further testing then.

here are the answer to your last questions:

Martin

no its the same with hauppauge i guess. just something that i noticed, so i mentioned it

Martin

tried, but it had severe problems as well (audio got severely out of sync over time).
=> only difference between hauppauge and mvpc: with the hauppauge dongle i could stop playback and when i resumed, audio and video's been in sync again. so i could successfully (though still painfully) watch it with the hauppauge dongle.

but matter of fact ist that the mpg just was too bad (dont know why this happened; recorded it with gbpvr like all the others).
so i had to "repair" it using mpeg-vcr and tmpgenc mpeg editor - a hard job :)

now it plays-back fine with just some audio problems. but stays in sync.

===
my tests really proved to me that mvpmc is much more stable than the hauppauge. if remote ever got stuck. it was only intermediately and could be solved with [go/ok].

i'll definitely stick to it!

cheers, turas
---

Turas
2007-12-22, 08:20 AM
I don't like that that converter3 error still appearing at the bottom of your logs but I have no idea where this is from or what it means or the impact.

Martin

found something in an old thread:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=25807&highlight=ConverterElement

so in my case the message seems to come from a previously installed xrecord-plugin.

br turas
---

mvallevand
2007-12-22, 03:31 PM
found something in an old thread:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=25807&highlight=ConverterElement

so in my case the message seems to come from a previously installed xrecord-plugin.

br turas
---

I'd say it is mostly harmless. It seems to turn off gbpvr logging.

Martin