PDA

View Full Version : Does not always select mvpmc dongle

danIrl
2008-01-11, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I have recently purchased an MVP and have been following the guides for setting it up. I have gotten the mvpmc dongle loaded and have manually setup a share for the config file and verfied that I can mount and see the config file. However I cannot seem to load this dongle anymore it seems to be reverting to the hauppauge one. GBPVR is still set to the mvpmc dongle according to the config settings. I have uninstalled the hauppage MVP software from my PVR server.

Also what is the difference between pressing the power button on the MVP remote and turning of the power to it? It seems like the only difference is that with physical power off, the MVP will search for the boot server before trying to load the dongle.

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-01-11, 11:56 AM
When you power off with the remote, I believe the only thing it shuts down is the video output of the mvp. Everything else is still running, so it's not really a shutdown.
I have no idea why the Hauppauge dongle would still get loaded into your mvp, sorry.

danIrl
2008-01-11, 12:33 PM
HI,

When I power off/on with the remote, the MVP seems to reload the dongle again as the screen states searching for application server, then loading application and then finally the GBPVR menu appears.

To be honest, I thought it would just disable the video out aswell and enter some sort of standby state.

/Dan.

mvallevand
2008-01-11, 01:10 PM
If the mvpmc dongle doesn't load in about thirty seconds on model H versions it will load an old dongle from flash. Usually this is firewall related, but it can also be explained by poor throughput.

On power off the MVP is still running (otherwise the MVP couldn't respond to a remote), the LED is turned off as are the internal a/v devices, and the current running function leaving just a shell. What you are seeing with the Hauppauge dongle after power up is the display of the process to connect to GBPVR, similar to what mvpmc does when it enters emulation mode. It does not try to obtain a new IP or reload a new dongle which you would expect with the contacting boot serve message.

Martin

danIrl
2008-01-11, 01:44 PM
Hi Martin,

Yes my model is H4. I do not think it is firewall related as I have disabled the XP firewall on the server. It may be throughput, but my current (wireless) setup has decent throughput (no stuttering ~ 5mbs)

Is there a message or any GUI feedback related to the dongle downloading/loading or is this all hidden? Is this a very fast process?

From what I remember between the two procedures it was something like this:

Hauppauge
========
Power On
Bios loading
Application Server lookup (progress bar)
Application loading (progess bar)
GBPVR GUI

Mvpmc
=====
Power On
Bios loading
Application Server lookup (progress bar)
Application loading (progess bar)
MVPMC logo and progress bar (4 red, then 4 green)
Menu
Select Emulation Mode
GBPVR Menu

mvallevand
2008-01-11, 03:44 PM
The info is basically hidden however the GBPVR logs do a good job of identifing the dongle transfer.

For your two scenarios the BIOS stage is actually a bootloader and then the flash Hauppauge dongle is loaded (from this you see the prefered server message) and then then the preferred server is contacted to start the tftp of the new dongle.

The mvpmc logo and coloured dots are just an extention to application loading, the application load process is actually kernel load, get new IP, get config file and finally application load.

Martin

danIrl
2008-01-14, 11:33 PM
Thanks Martin. Everything works fine now with wireless setup.
/Dan