PDA

View Full Version : startup in emulation

soccerdad
2008-01-15, 12:57 AM
OK, Please use small words;), I am trying to have it start in emulation mode. I added the network share directory as on the wiki. The folder is c:/mvpmc. I then am kind of lost. How do I make a dongle.bin.config file? Is this just a text file? I copied "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate ? &" into notepad and then named the file dongle.bin.config, but I am sure it is wrong because it really is named dongle.bin.config.txt

Again, please use small words.

mvallevand
2008-01-15, 01:32 AM
It is a text file but you can fix the name. Right click on the file with Windows Explorer and use the rename option to remove the .txt extension.

Afterwards to edit the file right click and say open with Notepad.

I recommend using --emulate with your server ip address and not --emulate ?

Martin

soccerdad
2008-01-15, 02:09 AM
Ok thanks, now it is showing as a config file and not a text file. It is just one line that is "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.101 &" This is the IP of the GBPVR machine. This config file is in the shared folder c:/mvpmc . Do I have to do anything else to point it at this folder? I rebooted the MVP, it loads and eventually gets me to the screen with emulate, etc on it. I can select emulate and it takes me to the gbpvr screen, but when I restart, I just get the same mvpmc screen, not the gbpvr screen. Could this be a firewall issue?

mvallevand
2008-01-15, 02:18 AM
No it is a problem with your guest share. If it doesn't work right away after unplugging the machine the only short words usually have four letters.

Martin

soccerdad
2008-01-15, 04:27 PM
*#%^ !!! :eek:

I will look at my share again. Thanks.

HtV
2008-01-15, 04:57 PM
*#%^ !!!

That's more than 4 letters, it must be very bad.:)

Hans

soccerdad
2008-01-15, 11:50 PM
Well in classic troublshooting style I changed two things at once and now it works! but I don't know why:rolleyes: I switched the MVP from my rev D1 to my E1. I also made a new share folder using the right click sharing setup and moved the config to it. It works fine. It seems to be much faster to load than the standard dongle. Now to see if this somehow cured the stuttering....

mvallevand
2008-01-16, 12:17 AM
That's good news, the D1/E1 change won't make a difference, so rebuilding the share did it.

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 01:59 AM
Martin, I rebuilt my machine, and was able to start playing with mvpmc again. (It was time at least 6 months)

Anyway, I was a little confused. I read the docs on the mvpmc site and it said to use a unix text editor, but earlier in this thread, you suggested notepad. Methinks it doesn't matter...

I was able to telnet into the mvp and manually mount the share.

Now I'm confused still again. The docs talked generally as if I were to install a dhcp server and a tftp server. I know that I have a router for an dhcp address and GB-PVR handles the tftp...

But in the docs it said to put the config file (named the same as the dongle) in the same directory as the dongle...

So that's where I put my files...

C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Dongle
dongle.mvpmc-20080120.bin
dongle.mvpmc-20080120.bin.config

But now I read, that the config file should be in the share I created (that I can now manually connect to)

MY big question ( aside from my asides) is, how does GB-PVR's tftp know to send the config file from a share that I have not told anyone about?

I mean, the mvp should not have known to look for //192.168.1.67/mvpmc

supposedly I could have named the share anything (isn't that right)

Also, just like soccardad, I did many things at once, so I don't know what I did to get the manual mount to work. I restarted the gbpvr service, I killall mvpmc and then I was able to ls my /etc/mvpmc and see the hello world.txt file that I left there....

So what did I really do to get this working...?

mvallevand
2008-02-13, 02:22 AM
The most important thing about loading the config file is to ignore the information on the mvpmc web site. I think it is designed to scare people away. The sticky right here http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24372 is more relevant to gbpvr users.

Based on feedback during emulation mode testing the config file is converted to unix format so notepad is fine.

To answer your main question the bootup actually does now how to connect to your server and the share must be named mvpmc. Where it points to on your gbpvr server is not important. mvpmc doesn't tftp the config file if it can just do a copy from a Windows share so gbpvr is not involved.

If a file is created before the share the ACL won't include guest. That is probably the issue but there are many other causes. I'm glad it is working finally an that you are tweak free.

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 02:25 AM
I should go public to help others. Without saying anything TOO bad about the individual, I would say that tipster's Network tweaks were not a very good idea...

zehd
2008-02-13, 02:28 AM
If a file is created before the share the ACL won't include guest. That is probably the issue but there are many other causes. I'm glad it is working finally an that you are tweak free.

MartinI see, so I should create another text file AFTER the share is created?

mvallevand
2008-02-13, 02:31 AM
You can just check the ACL with the cacls command as I talked about here.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=188895&postcount=74

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 02:39 AM
You can just check the ACL with the cacls command as I talked about here.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=188895&postcount=74

Martin

Umm, the docs says simple file sharing should be enabled to work with the guest account... I'm not using the guest account..

Here's my line

mount.cifs //192.168.1.67/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=mvpuser,password=password,rsize=34000;

mvpuser has full access to the share...

Also, could you clear this up please? If my dongle is named:
dongle.mvpmc-20080120.bin, located in the gbpvr dongle dir, and selected in GB-PVR and loads fine without config file, Will the config file in the mvpmc share need to be called dongle.mvpmc-20080120.bin.config or dongle.bin.config ?

mvallevand
2008-02-13, 02:51 AM
For the config file to be loaded at bootup, the mvpmc share must be a guest share, so your config isn't going to load from a power up. The file is dongle.bin.config.

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 03:03 AM
For the config file to be loaded at bootup, the mvpmc share must be a guest share, so your config isn't going to load from a power up. The file is dongle.bin.config.

Martin

OK. I remember banging my head against that one. I kept wanting to use Simple File Sharing disabled... The docs say thatthere are solutions available on the net, or alternatively, I could enable Simple Sharing

This brings me to the question of why I was being a stickler on not using Simple File Sharing. Perhaps there were things I did not want others to see... hmmm\

Oh well.

psycik
2008-02-13, 03:20 AM
I found the only way of doing it was tftp.

mvallevand
2008-02-13, 03:26 AM
If guest is enabled you still control exactly what is seen and it still should only exposed on the LAN side not on the Internet. You don't need a guest account on your pc. either. I don't see the risk on a gbpvr server machine, but you can use a tftp server instead if you consider simple file sharing too risky.

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 03:39 AM
I found the only way of doing it was tftp.

I think I had the same problem as you, but I got it working hahahahah!!!

Share hell, Guest share on xp pro, naming conventions, all fun!!!

zehd
2008-02-13, 03:44 AM
Something I was doing was checking the TV/MVP side in the filesystem for a file I had in the share /etc/mvpmc but it never showed up.

Purely by accident I created a subfolder in the share, and now I can see it in the filesystem page on the mvpmc

BTW, when I went out of GB-PVR and then tried to go back in, it timed out pinging...

Gonna try somemore, then it's off to the pages talking about using vlc...

HarryH3
2008-02-13, 04:21 AM
BTW, when I went out of GB-PVR and then tried to go back in, it timed out pinging...
I see this behavior often if I have rebooted my server while the MVP's were on (but not in use). I've found that by turning the MVP off (using the remote) and then back on, mvpmc reloads and GB-PVR loads almost instantly. Something just doesn't like it when the connection to GB-PVR goes away.

zehd
2008-02-13, 04:51 AM
I see this behavior often if I have rebooted my server while the MVP's were on (but not in use). I've found that by turning the MVP off (using the remote) and then back on, mvpmc reloads and GB-PVR loads almost instantly. Something just doesn't like it when the connection to GB-PVR goes away.

I have seen that if I exit the GB-PVR and enter the Filesystem, then exit that, it doesn't like to get back into GB-PVR. I think that MVPMC breaks the connection when it enters and exits the filesystem, and then it's like you said.

I've been playing with VLC a bit. Quite choppy. But now that I have this working, I'll work with the other stuff some other time.

Thanks for getting me on... Now I can feel useful, testing your project...

mvallevand
2008-02-13, 05:21 AM
That's strange I go back and fourth all the time. Sometimes GBPVR takes time to reset so I autostart an extra server.

If vlc is choppy that is likely because the default is DVD quality, which is higher then the ffmpeg default on GBPVR ,and your network or PC might not be up to it. From the main menu in mvpmc you can select various quality levels to match your network throughput. Once you pick one that works for you then you can set it as default on the command line. I think you will like being able to navigate in these files.

Martin

zehd
2008-02-13, 06:45 AM
That's strange I go back and fourth all the time. Sometimes GBPVR takes time to reset so I autostart an extra server.

If vlc is choppy that is likely because the default is DVD quality, which is higher then the ffmpeg default on GBPVR ,and your network or PC might not be up to it. From the main menu in mvpmc you can select various quality levels to match your network throughput. Once you pick one that works for you then you can set it as default on the command line. I think you will like being able to navigate in these files.

Martin

I used to have vlc as one of the transcoders for ZProcess. (I may still put it back in) With FFmpeg, MEncoder and VLC, I could use DVD profiles, and as long as there wasn't anything else happening on my pc, I could view the mpgs on the mvp smoothly.

Certainly, I will look at what settings I had with VLC, (way back when), but I suspect something else that is impeding the stream...

I am looking forward to being able to skip forward and back like the new Hauppauge software can do...