PDA

View Full Version : Startup in EmulationMode for Dummies required

fausto
2008-02-22, 05:24 PM
I would like to get this going but would prefer to leave my GBPVR server machine getting its IP address from the DHCP server/router, so.....

I make a file with notepad called "dongle.bin.config" which contains a single line "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate ? &" in it.

Is that correct?

Then, where do I put this file? I've tried C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Dongle and C:\MVPMC but neither works. :confused: What have I missed?

cakes
2008-02-22, 07:20 PM
I think your file is correct.
It should be in c:\mvmpc, but you need to create a share on this folder called 'mvpmc' AND you need to give access to the guest account twice: once on the folder, and once on the share

If in trouble, this thread says it all and gives some debug instructions:
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24372

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-02-22, 07:20 PM
Your config file could look like this:

mvpmc --emulate ? --startup emulate

The config file should be name dongle.bin.config and it should be placed in a share with the name mvpmc. This share needs to have the Guest account enabled. I believe there are some post on this share and Guest account on this forum. Good luck!

mvallevand
2008-02-22, 09:44 PM
The order of the command line options is not important and neither is the physical location of the dongle.bin.config file on server as long as the share name is mvpmc.

However it is important is that the IP of your GBPVR server be the same as what the previous one stored in flash memory. If you have a model H MVP that is not an issue, but with the older models you are going to have difficulty if the DHCP assigned IP of the GBPVR server changes. Static IP's are strongly recommended.

Martin

fausto
2008-02-23, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I had already allowed sharing on the folder C:\MVPMC and checked the "Allow network users to change my files" box, but, I don't understand this bit:
AND you need to give access to the guest account twice: once on the folder, and once on the share

What do people mean when they say "the share". Do they mean the folder itself or the conditions set on the shared folder? :confused:

First I had to enable the guest account as it was turned off, but even then I don't see any options to give "guest" any special permissions to any specific folders

My MediaMVP is rev H4 so dynamic IP on the MVPserver is OK?

As suggested in the thread I telneted into the MVP and got this:

# mount.cifs //10.0.0.6/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,ro
Password:
mount error 22 = Invalid argument

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
#

If I have interpreted this correctly, it seems to want a password but I have not got a passwort on the guest account and I don't see any way of applying or changing the guest account in XP. I tried "guest" and I tried nothing but got the same message both times. Help!

cakes
2008-02-23, 09:41 AM
When you right click on c:\mvpmc in windows explorer, you can define access rights on the folder via the tab 'security', and you can define access rights to the share via the tab 'sharing'. On that tab there is a button 'permissions'.

fausto
2008-02-23, 11:38 AM
When you right click on c:\mvpmc in windows explorer, you can define access rights on the folder via the tab 'security', and you can define access rights to the share via the tab 'sharing'. On that tab there is a button 'permissions'.

I see a sharing tab but no security tab.

mvallevand
2008-02-23, 12:50 PM
It sounds like you might be confusing the guest account and guest share access. Are you following the steps on the wiki page http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/Loadconfig as suggested on the very first message on the first sticky?

Martin

fausto
2008-02-23, 02:40 PM
I think I made some progress. I believe I should have used the GBPVR PC's IP address and not the MVP's IP address in the mount.cifs command.

When I did I got this:

# # mount.cifs //10.0.0.9/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest.ro
#
#
# ls -lt /etc/dongle.config
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Dec 31 18:00 /etc/dongle.config
# cat /etc/dongle.config
#

So the file /etc/dongle.config exists but is zero length i.e. empty.
What does this mean? Where do I go from there?

mvallevand
2008-02-23, 02:53 PM
You are looking in the wrong folder. You mounted the share to /etc/mvpmc so use

ls /etc/mvpmc

/etc/dongle.config gets copied from dongle.bin.config during the boot sequence.

Martin

fausto
2008-02-23, 06:29 PM
You are looking in the wrong folder. You mounted the share to /etc/mvpmc so use

ls /etc/mvpmc

/etc/dongle.config gets copied from dongle.bin.config during the boot sequence.

Martin

/etc/mvpmc is empty

What does this mean and more importantly where are we trying to get to with this? You're losing me fast. Dont forget the title of the OP ;)

mvallevand
2008-02-23, 07:45 PM
I'm just answering your question. In one of my earlier threads I asked if you followed the steps on the wiki. Sorry this is tough, but these steps would work by default in all Windows installations so it is a matter of enabling something that you have changed.

Martin

fausto
2008-02-24, 10:06 AM
In one of my earlier threads I asked if you followed the steps on the wiki. Martin

I had looked at that page, but there is no first message or first sticky, at least not explicitly labelled as such :confused:. As stated in the OP I created the C:\mvpmc folder and allowed network sharing using the normal commands available in Windws Explorer. I did not use the Windows wizard nor the command line method described on that webpage. Is this important? Do they give more sharing options than the Windows explorer method? :confused:

mvallevand
2008-02-24, 12:21 PM
The order you do things is important in setting up a share and using the wizard ensures this. Also I don't have to figure out what version of windows you run and answer questions about tabs, permissions etc.

You still haven't told me if you followed all the steps on the wiki. Assuming you have done things in the correct order what about the last link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 If things don't work most of the answers are there.

Martin

fausto
2008-02-25, 02:56 PM
You still haven't told me if you followed all the steps on the wiki.

Martin, sorry but I'm having trouble answering this question because I don't recognise the page you pointed to with the url as being a "wiki" as know it and there is no mention of a "sticky". The following is my attempt to answer you as best I can. Sorry if I'm not on your wavellength (but this was a request for dummies)

I have deleted the directory I created in windows explorer and used the wizard method described on the page you suggested:

Step 3. Creating the mvpmc share

(a) Windows GUI method

To create the share, run the following.

- Start->Run->shrpubw
- On the first screen enter c:\mvpmc as the Folder to share and mvpmc as Share name.
- Hit Next
- If prompted Hit Yes to create the folder
- Select your choice of radio button options. The second option is the prefered.
- Click Finish

Then create or store dongle.bin.config in c:\mvpmc

I think that is the only part which is relevent to my case. Please say if you disagree.

Anyway the result is that the mediaMVP still does not start up in mvpmc emulation mode. Any more suggestions as to what to check will be very gratefully received.

mvallevand
2008-02-25, 05:53 PM
I disagree. You need to go to Step 4 on troubleshooting and check out the Microsoft KB article. I also provided a direct link in my previous reply.

If that doesn't solve it the only thing I can think of is you are confusing "All Users" with Guest access. They are not the same thing.

Martin

gms
2008-02-25, 08:56 PM
This doesn't directly relate to setting up mvpmc, but when I was having trouble with permissions & shares, I found this hauppauge faq useful...

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_mediamvp.html#11

tbutcher
2008-02-25, 10:15 PM
I had the same problem. Make sure you enable the Guest account and remove the password.

Tim

jksmurf
2008-02-26, 12:29 AM
I've been round the houses on this one... what cakes said re share is correct.

However I found that if you make the share folder first (and don't forget to ADD the guest to the list of folks with permissions to read it) THEN put dongle.config in it LATER then dongle.config is NOT shared. You then have to go and share the FILE.

If you make the file and all the bins you need THEN put them in the dir THEN share it, it shares folder and files automatically.

That's my experience.

k.

petewxm
2008-02-26, 08:19 AM
I`ve not got this working yet either, Just a thought cause so many people have trouble getting there heads around this and getting it to work, could someone who`s good with writing batch files, to write a batch file to automaticly create a shared folder with guest permissions and to create a file within that folder with basic config to get people started.

Just a thought

Cheers

Pete

fausto
2008-02-26, 08:40 AM
You need to go to Step 4 on troubleshooting and check out the Microsoft KB article. Martin

You should have seen from posts 6 and 9 that I have followed (albeit blindly) step 4, twice. The second time, when I used the GBPVR server IP in the mount.cifs command there was no request for a password from guest. I interpreted this as confirming that the guest account and sharing were all set up OK. Is this interpretation not correct?

The MS page says "These permissions apply to the folder, all the files in that folder, subfolders, and all the files in the subfolders. Files and folders that are created in or copied to a folder inherit the permissions that are defined for their parent folder."
AFAIKS there's no mention that the order in which the sharing permission is allocated and files are placed in shared folders matters.

mvallevand
2008-02-26, 11:36 AM
Pete the batch file equivalent is on the wiki

mkdir c:\mvpmc
net share mvpmc=c:\mvpmc

The problem becomes figuring out what steps were taken to make these simple commands which do work in a default Windows install not work. Under Vista you do have to follow the steps in the Microsoft KB article. For other Windows the problem is almost always that Simple File Sharing isn't enabled and you need to follow the KB article to do this too. There is also things the script just can't do like open your firewall to file sharing and enabling tcp with netbios and fix registry tweaks that people may have followed blindly.

fausto, I'm not sure why I have to explain what I said, but the KB article alludes to the order several times.

"A file's permission may differ from the parent folder if one of the following conditions is true:"

"Note NTFS permissions are not maintained on file move operations when you use Windows Explorer with Simple File Sharing turned on. "

and probably clearest

"If you turn on and turn off Simple File Sharing, the permissions on files are not changed."

If the KB article doesn't help

Martin

fausto
2008-02-26, 03:17 PM
when I used the GBPVR server IP in the mount.cifs command there was no request for a password from guest. I interpreted this as confirming that the guest account and sharing were all set up OK. Is this interpretation not correct?

Martin, it would be very helpful if you could confirm (or not) the above. From where I'm standing, it looks like the share is set up correctly to accept "guest" and something else is preventing the emulation mode startup.

mvallevand
2008-02-26, 04:19 PM
Martin, it would be very helpful if you could confirm (or not) the above. From where I'm standing, it looks like the share is set up correctly to accept "guest" and something else is preventing the emulation mode startup.

Sorry I can't confirm this because if there is no dongle.bin.config file showing when you do ls /etc/mvpmc something about the share is not set up correctly. It needs this file to start up in emulation mode.

You can issue two more commands from to see if you are attached properly

mount
netstat

Other than that I can't give you anything more to go on,

Martin

cakes
2008-02-26, 06:54 PM
fausto, you could also try to access the share from another windows pc using the guest account. That would at least confirm that share and permissions are set up correct.

fausto
2008-02-26, 07:16 PM
Good suggestion Cakes, and no, I can't access the share, logged in as guest from another PC, in fact, I can't even get anywhere on my network while logged is an guest.

Martin, this brings me to the obvious next question (I was going to ask anyway): how do you change the permissions for the "guest" account in Windows XP? Everything I've seen and read leads me to believe that "guest" can only be an simple non-administrator account with virtually no permissions to go anywhere and I can't find anyplace were you can change the settings for the guest account. How is it done?

More to the point, why would I want to log in to anything as "guest" anyway. Why wouldn't I want to use my normal login which is what GBPVR starts up as owned by??

cakes
2008-02-26, 08:46 PM
hi fausto,
maybe the guest account is disabled? I think by default the guest account is disabled, for security reasons. You can enable it in computer management (control panel / administrative tools).

why would I want to log in to anything as "guest" anyway
I assume mvpmc is programmed to login using the guest account.

fausto
2008-02-26, 10:04 PM
Guest account is definitely switched on. How could I have logged on as guest otherwise?

mvallevand
2008-02-26, 10:31 PM
As I wrote earlier the guest account and guest share access are not the same thing. You should login normally. You might see if this helps when entered from the windows command prompt

net user guest /active:yes

Martin

fausto
2008-02-27, 08:59 AM
I will try your suggestion "net user guest /active:yes" as soon as I can.
As I wrote earlier the guest account and guest share access are not the same thing. I'm sure you are correct, but I've read and re-read the pages you pointed to on the mvpmc and Microsoft sites and I haven't seen anything that expands or clarifies your comment. As I've explained before, I have not been able to find anything, anywhere on my XP PC which will allow me to change the "guest" permissions on my network.

I'm also still unclear as to why guest share access is required. I am perfectly willing to take your word for it, but I would like to understand the reason.

mvallevand
2008-02-27, 01:13 PM
Ask Microsoft why they implemented the Windows shares they way they did. If NFS had been available I would have preferred it.

As for why the guest account, that is how I designed the code. You do have the alternate option of two methods of tftp or recompiling the source with whatever domain and password yourself, but this is beyond for dummies.

If you really can't live with the default menu and startup you can always just change it via the web interface to mvpmc. If you don't have a lot a power outages you can go weeks or months with this. From your browser enter the mvpmc's IP and have a look.

Martin

fausto
2008-03-03, 08:39 AM
It all started to work after I had to power cycle the MediaMVP at the weekend after a lockup. I was beginning to think the share discussions on this thread were getting over complicated. I'd never had that many problems setting up my home network, router, NAS, etc., etc.

Thanks to all for your interest and suggestions.

mvallevand
2008-03-03, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that you always have had to restart the MediaMVP to have config file changes take effect. That is the main reason I didn't want to confirm your findings in telnet. If the guest share is installed properly this process will work every time.

Martin

JimF
2008-03-03, 04:44 PM
For other Windows the problem is almost always that Simple File Sharing isn't enabled and you need to follow the KB article to do this too.
I found one trick that might help. I use WinXP in a limited user account, for which I need to disable Simple File Sharing. I first enabled the Guest account in Computer Management/Local Users and Groups (thanks to cakes for the suggestion). But still it did not work. So then, I enabled Simple File Sharing, and everything worked fine. Finally, I disabled Simple File Sharing, and things continued to work fine, even after a reboot. So that may cure a lot of problems for some people.