PDA

View Full Version : Time to pull the plug on mvpmc

mvallevand
2008-04-13, 02:52 PM
For several releases of mvpmc I have noticed a distinct lack of interest in anything new that I have tried to add both from the perspective of your feedback and more noticeably for me, your downloads. There still are twice as many downloads of the old (and technically obsolete) version of mvpmc that sub links to, but I haven't really even received enough anecdotal opinion in the last six months to get an idea what is the best version so if you are happy I am happy.

Therefore I think that it's time for me to stop enhancing the MediaMVP version of emulation mode.

Martin

rbelisle
2008-04-13, 03:02 PM
I always take the latest version and have been very happy with how things work. Don't really need anything new, but will you be keeping things up to date as new versions of gbpvr are released or is that a dependency at all for what you've written?

mvallevand
2008-04-13, 04:34 PM
I am not expecting to do the kind of thorough testing of mvpmc during the beta cycle that I have done in the past. This isn't as bad as it sounds since

- most of the mvpmc downloads are of the linked dongle in the survival guide and it was released several versions ago so the core logic is sound. The Hauppauge dongle isn't changing either

- I still will be testing the PCH code which will test emulation mode good too.

Martin

observer_11
2008-04-13, 06:37 PM
How does the mvpmc dongle differ from the default dongle in GBPVR? How do I install or try out the mvpmc dongle - do I just copy it to the Dongle folder and select it using the config gui?

philly_phenom
2008-04-13, 08:11 PM
How does the mvpmc dongle differ from the default dongle in GBPVR? How do I install or try out the mvpmc dongle - do I just copy it to the Dongle folder and select it using the config gui?

yep - that's it.

Martin - what happens to donations to mvmpc.org then? Do you guys still get it or does it go in the general sourceforge fund?

mvallevand
2008-04-13, 09:51 PM
The donations go to Jon Gettler who is the mvpmc project lead to help pay for the web hosting of www.mvpmc.org (where the file and the code is stored). I just noticed a new name thanks. I have never even mentioned donations before because I've tried both shareware and the open source route and even with a thousand or so small cheques I prefer the free-like-beer approach.

BTW I wasn't trolling for donations or compliments nor was there any hidden meaning. I just figured that it was possible that emulation mode is nearly complete, after all it is holding up very in the port to the PCH. If other mvpmc developers can figure out how to do AC3 or play DVD ISO's or do something really exciting, I will be happy to try and introduce these for GB-PVR users.

Martin

jksmurf
2008-04-14, 12:30 AM
I'd just like to say "yup, fair enough". For 99% of users, it is stable and fully-featured within the limits of the MVP while going outside the scope of Hauppauge's feature set.

What mvpmc has done for me for the MVP has been absolutely brilliant, couldn't wish for a better replacement for the original dongle. Thanks Martin; I've learned a lot, and you've been great.

Looking forward to the PCH development surging ahead too :-)

Cheers

k.

Lindsay
2008-04-14, 08:57 AM
jksmurf said it for me, too.

observer_11
2008-04-14, 11:13 AM
I am still confused (what else is new ;)), can someone tell the differences between the default GBPVR dongle and this one? Basically, why does it exist - what function or features does it address that the default dongle does not? :confused:

pz1
2008-04-14, 11:52 AM
I am still confused (what else is new ;)), can someone tell the differences between the default GBPVR dongle and this one? Basically, why does it exist - what function or features does it address that the default dongle does not? :confused:
For me it is:
1) more stable than the original
2) ability to Wake GBPVR server from MVP
3) the minimalistic WEBradio (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=260228&postcount=7) which Martin helped me to configure.
See also this thread mvpmc benefits (http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=31912) as a starter

tkgafs
2008-04-14, 12:53 PM
Hi Martin,

Just loaded the 5th april dongle works like a charm, I'll keep using this dongle as long as you keep issuing updates when they are required !!

Tkgafs

mvallevand
2008-04-14, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys, I've received enough info here and via PM to update my backend link so that new users get the latest alpha too and I can commit the source code. Since I've only tested mvpmc emulation mode for about two hours since I got the PCH I was reluctant to make a this change.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-04-14, 04:44 PM

Here's another link where I introduced mvpmc

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=24365

My favourite quote from that thread was my statement

"The real advantage will come if I can improve stability and this will run well on newer platforms."

Now a lot of people are benefiting from the hard work of all the alpha testers/guinea pigs over the last year.

Martin

observer_11
2008-04-17, 11:21 AM
I have selected mvpmc dongle and rebooted but I don't think GBPVR and the MVP are using it - is there some way to confirm? While the mvp is booting I see the usual hauppauge mvpmc screen.

mvallevand
2008-04-17, 11:42 AM
Unplug your mvp, and then plug it back in and zip up a copy of your GB-PVR logs and I will have a look.

Edit, perhaps keeping with the same theme it's time to pull the plug on the mvp

Martin

LewE
2008-04-18, 02:28 AM
Therefore I think that it's time for me to stop enhancing the MediaMVP version of emulation mode.

Martin
Forgive my ignorance but each time I have seen the "emulation mode" mentioned, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about so I just stayed with the dongle that I originally installed.

Could you explain what the "MediaMVP version of emulation mode" is or point to where it is described.

wtg
2008-04-18, 03:55 AM
The mvpmc dongle supports a lot of things the Hauppauge dongle does not.

Outside of the actual playback of a file, the Hauppauge dongle just updates the screen with information sent by the server. The server does all the work. This is emulation mode, when the dongle simply acts like the delivered Hauppauge firmware and connects to a back-end server that does all the heavy lifting. You select this mode to connect to a gbpvr server or the conventional hauppauge server.

Outside of emulation mode the mvpmc dongle has a number of other features. It can do slimmserver music streaming, connect to a upnp media server like TVersity, do net radio and some other things. It can load configuration information off a network share, supports telnet access, has it's own web server for remote configuration and rebooting. It's really quite remarkable what's been added to it, all outside of the normal emulation mode. These little devices are much more capable than what the Hauppauge software demonstrates.

NewUserIdAgain
2008-04-19, 06:57 PM
MVPMC and emulation mode in particular is a fantastic software. Really taking the MVP to where Hauppage should have taken it. Really good work Martin and all other involved in this project. I hope that we MVP user will benefit from the knowledge of Martin and Sub in the future.

I normally run the latest dongle from Martin, and as far as I use it works really nice.

With a new NAS I will try to use more of the functionality in MVPMC

steeb
2008-04-22, 02:23 AM
Hi Martin,

I didn't realise the lack of feedback was making you quiet. However I suppose my silence is just because your dongle works. It is quite simply faultless with my GBPVR system, hence no posts. But here is one now!

If you were to pull the plug on it could I have 1 feature request before you do so?

I reboot my GBPVR server every night (well early hours). At this point all my MVP's start looking to emulate but have a time out ping of 30. By the time my server has rebooted they have given up looking. Is there a way you could extend the dongle look time so that when my wife turns on a screen in the morning it has rebooted to GBPVR?

So many thanks

STEEB

mvallevand
2008-04-22, 02:38 AM
I'm glad it's working for you but why not just use the green button to power off the mvp when you are finished with it? I assume you turn everything else in your system off.

Martin

steeb
2008-04-22, 02:55 AM
Hi Martin,

nope ;)

I restart the server every night at 6 AM. We do not tend to turn off the MVP's around the house, after all they are slim clients and why would we turn them off, their power usage is quite low and we try to be green in other ways :D

They are feeding a few LCD screens around the house which we do turn off.

What would be brilliant is if instead of seeing the MVPMC screen it had taken more time to ping the server and emulate back to GBPVR.

Thank you for great work!

Cheers

STEEB

mvallevand
2008-04-22, 03:22 AM
I restart the server every night at 6 AM. We do not tend to turn off the MVP's around the house, after all they are slim clients and why would we turn them off, their power usage is quite low and we try to be green in other ways :D

True the mvp is "slim" but you are making the "fat" server work, the router etc etc. It also turns mvpmc into just a GB-PVR client which I don't want it (or mvpmcx2) to be.

Still thank you, it's nice to hear new ideas, and I am not against adding new things that I think reach a wide audience.

Martin

steeb
2008-04-22, 03:32 AM
Hi Martin,

you are right. I'm running alot of other stuff that could be considered 'Fat'!

BUT I try to keep everything as slim as possible, I'm always up for new ideas but generally I don't believe that anyone running a PC based PVR System is that 'Slim'.

My needs may obviously not be for the masses re: GBPVR but if you could include that function I would be most grateful, and I have got 2 friends of mine using your dongle with Myth......

Cheers

STEEB

rbelisle
2008-04-23, 08:56 PM
Martin,

Is there a specific date or version you would recommend as being the 'last and best' dongle???

mvallevand
2008-04-23, 10:20 PM
I don't actually use GB-PVR enough to answer the question on the best version but I trust the people that say they use the current alpha.

I don't know when the last version of mvpmc will be, I just won't be trying to add new functionality or solve non-demonstatable problems with emulation mode. If sub wanted to support FLAC I'd still do it

I will keep mvpmc's native internet radio and audio file browser working, potentially for years. It isn't really impacted by HD

Martin

observer_11
2008-04-24, 11:24 AM
I have selected mvpmc dongle and rebooted but I don't think GBPVR and the MVP are using it - is there some way to confirm? While the mvp is booting I see the usual hauppauge mvpmc screen.

OK, problem solved. You NEED to actually UNPLUG/PLUG-IN power from mvp, not just power it on/off. It would seem when the power is OFF the device is not really off ...once upon a time when an electronic device was powered OFF, it really was off. I guess nowadays many devices actually stay on (doesn't seem very 'green'), even though the little red led indicates otherwise - when machines lie! :D

Anyway, so far the dongle works great - I am going to keep using it to see if it is more stable than the default dongle, especially for video playback.

PS: I suspect many MVP users (like myself) are not even aware of the existence of this dongle, why it exists, how to get/install it, etc.

natewin
2008-06-18, 05:42 PM
I've suffered the default Hauppauge software for 2 years until only recently finding mvpmc and more recently gbpvr. Both are wonderful pieces of software that really have brought this device to life for me. Upon seeing the subject I was worried that the support for the mediamvp was going away, but I see it is based only on Emulation mode working so well.

I don't think I can fully thank you enough for the support provided to this device. We have data only coming into our house and the MVP has been our main source of watching shows now. I don't use the PVR capabilities of GBPVR but love using it to navigate my files. Until I can get mvpmc configured better to use VLC I'll be using emulation mode for a bit longer. Right now the drawback I haven't overcome is using VLC without having to generate playlists for shows b/c I am using Windows to serve the MVP. What is the best place to look for support for mvpmc, I have been using the mvpmc.wikispaces.com site.

SFX Group
2008-11-03, 10:35 PM
this answers alot...... i couldnt work out why you would want MVPMC, however now knowing its a program upload dongle from GBPVR that makes loads of sences..

questions...

whats different from this to the one in GBPVR? and i assume to stop using it you just select the original one in GBPVR and reboot the MVP (so it requests a new dongle upload).

If i can stop the other users of MVP (in my house) winging about the drops and slow remote response from a dongle change, i'm game :)

mvallevand
2008-11-03, 10:48 PM
Some people have a better experience with mvpmc, some people don't, as you said the best thing to do is try it and see how it works in your environment.

If it hadn't been for the people who tried it and identified problem areas , the PCH solution, mvpmcx2, wouldn't even have been possible.

Martin

mpking
2008-11-17, 08:24 PM
Martin, it might also be something of inertia. For example, Once I got my GBPVR setup, and the Wife accepting it, I became reluctant to change anything. So I would just suffer thru the "hiccups" that the Haup dongle has. Recently I reloaded my system, and just switched to the MVPMC dongle since I'm running Vista. I'm running the alpha that Sub linked to on the survival guide.

I do have to give you compliments, as it has resolved many of the little issues I've had with the default dongle. #1 with a bullet is the start up time. It used to be, I'd turn on the MVP, and it would take up to 30-40 seconds to connect to the Server. With mvpmc, the screen is up before my TV has finished warming up. (about 3-4 seconds) Very impressive.