PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Can't stream TV, video, music on PCH

austinwhite
2008-06-09, 10:17 AM
I've been reading all the threads, and trying lots of things, but I'm stumped. I can get the GBPVR interface on my lovely new PCH, and I can do anything that does not require streaming from the server, I think. My photos look wonderful at the higher resolution than the mvp gave, and web services like weather and webcams work fine.

As far as I can see from the various logs, the server is starting and accessible through my firewall, so it seems like a video format/resolution problem (or maybe not, as I can't play music either). And, I have to configure the resolution in config.xml, the video output in the PCH settings, and feed the right parameters to mvpmcx2, I think? I cannot get this right :mad: Result is always some flashing and then a black screen.

I have a beautiful 42" full 1080p panel connected with an HDMI cable to the PCH. And also, a husband who is losing any confidence he ever had in my ability to make this all work....

I can of course send logs, but which?

Please help!

Pam

sub
2008-06-09, 11:17 AM
Some people have need to go to the control panel -> administrative tools -> services, then view the GBPVR Recording Service properties, and enable the 'allow service to interact with desktop' setting. Try this and let me know how you get on.

austinwhite
2008-06-09, 11:52 AM
Sub,

Thanks for the quick reply - but that's not it, still the black screen...

Pam

mvallevand
2008-06-09, 11:54 AM
Could you compress and upload all your GBPVR logs please.

Martin

austinwhite
2008-06-09, 12:14 PM
Martin,

Logs duly zipped and uploaded.

Pam

mvallevand
2008-06-09, 12:19 PM
You do have the error indicating that interacting with the desktop is not ticked

2008-06-09 10:50:15.640 ERROR [4] Error starting webserver: Could not load file or assembly 'GBPVRRecordingService, Version=1.0.3069.9824, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Martin

austinwhite
2008-06-09, 12:33 PM
Martin,

In the latest part of the logs? I did change it when I saw Sub's reply. The service is set to use the "local system account". I'm on Vista home premium 32 by the way.

Pam

mvallevand
2008-06-09, 03:54 PM
The logs don't show that it was on, so you probably need to restart the recording service after making the change.

Martin

austinwhite
2008-06-09, 08:34 PM
Martin,

OK, many thanks :) I have restarted everything, and it is more-or-less working. I have to say, picture quality seems inferior to the MVP the PCH is meant to replace, so I think I still need to do a bit more experimenting.

Thanks again,

Pam

mvallevand
2008-06-09, 09:21 PM
Glad you got it going. I find the PCH gives better quality and there was a thread on this
http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=35488 but the PCH/HD combo will also highlight flaws in older analog SD material.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-11, 03:39 AM
I've got alot of the gb-pvr working. I can play solitaire, and the weather plugin is on and so are the sports scores. But, it only shows as 4x3 on my 1080i tv. And when I go to music, and try to play something nothing happens. Same with videos or photos.

Please help.

mvallevand
2008-06-11, 04:08 AM
Have you followed the setup instructions in the survival guide?

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-11, 01:25 PM
I followed them...that's how I got it work on the PCH. There is the aspect ratio and size problem for me, and the fact that I can only get the plugins to work.

dirkomatic
2008-06-11, 01:57 PM
I've got alot of the gb-pvr working. I can play solitaire, and the weather plugin is on and so are the sports scores. But, it only shows as 4x3 on my 1080i tv.

This is usually due to using the wrong command line in the startmeup file.

And when I go to music, and try to play something nothing happens. Same with videos or photos.

Have you set up the folders for music, videos and photos using config?

mvallevand
2008-06-11, 04:04 PM
ricocarlos, the best thing do do is compress your config.xml, your GBPVR logs and your startmeup file. As dirkomatic says my first guess is that you haven't setup GBPVR.

If you have

1. I have never seen 4x3 through HDMI/component. My guess is that you are using --display 1920x1080 with a "bad" config.xml

2. Not being able to display photos would only be because you have them stored on a share that GBPVR cannot access, or they are in a format that GBPVR doesn't recognize. It has nothing to do with mvpmcx2.

3. For videos and music the problem might be the same as 2 but there are other things too that the logs will show.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-11, 04:47 PM
Will do. Thank you very much.

ricocarlos
2008-06-12, 02:17 PM
I reinstalled GB and that fixed it. I believe I hosed the config.xml, and it was easier to reinstall.
But I noticed it isn't playing files that are on mapped drives. Is that normal?

mvallevand
2008-06-12, 04:01 PM
The mappling of the share to a Windows drive letter don't not necesarily apply to the Admin accounts. It is better to use internet form ie change L:\folder to \\xx.xx.xx.xx\sharename\ in config.xml

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-14, 03:30 AM
I think that's what I'm doing and it won't find the music.

mvallevand
2008-06-14, 03:41 AM
Compress and upload your GBPVR logs and I will have a look.

Martin

NevOZ
2008-06-15, 09:25 PM
But I noticed it isn't playing files that are on mapped drives. Is that normal?

I would assume that this won't work, for two reasons:
1. As Martin mentioned, you need to use a UNC rather than a mapped drive. i.e. you need to specify \\server\share ; and
2. The GB-PVR Recording system service runs under the context of the Local System account. I don't think the local system account can access network shares. The easiest way around it is to allow it to run under the context of an administrator account.

ricocarlos
2008-06-15, 10:40 PM
I am using the UNC so I will try running the service as the local admin. It is on a workgroup so I hope it works.

ricocarlos
2008-06-15, 11:00 PM
Excellent, you are a god. I can now browse them all....but when I click to play....nothing happens.....

mvallevand
2008-06-15, 11:06 PM
This is why it is best for you to send your GBPVR logs (I asked twice so far) Otherwise you just are writing a blog with lot of guessing going on.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-15, 11:51 PM
yes, you are correct, but each time you asked, I got it corrected. Here are my logs.

mvallevand
2008-06-16, 12:04 AM
It's still a good idea. One minute in the logs and I see

- you don't have C:\Temp so you can't play music folders.

- you are trying to play livetv and the guide with no channels defined.

- ML2 isn't configured correctly

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 12:21 AM
What is this ML2...and how do I configure it? ...btw...thanks for all your help.

mvallevand
2008-06-16, 12:25 AM
What is this ML2...and how do I configure it? ...btw...thanks for all your help.

The MusicLibrary2 plugin. You probably haven't scanned for media correctly, but you have it set to use the mdb database and not the sqlite db, and you probably should change it.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 01:05 AM
ah
I forgot I downloaded that, thanks again

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 02:37 AM
I hate to keep asking questions, but I don't see how to do a photo slideshow with music.
Everything else is now working perfectly. I love this product. I am using it with the popcorn hour, and it makes the popcorn hour so much better. One other thing, is there a way to make it boot up to gb-pvr? Or at least make it a little easier to get to?

mvallevand
2008-06-16, 02:57 AM
I hate to keep asking questions, but I don't see how to do a photo slideshow with music.

If you aren't using HDMI audio you can try the command line option --no-nmt-gui. With this you can start audio and it will leave the PCH and let you start a slide show. Even with HDMI audio it works sometimes if you want to give it a try.

Everything else is now working perfectly. I love this product. I am using it with the popcorn hour, and it makes the popcorn hour so much better. One other thing, is there a way to make it boot up to gb-pvr? Or at least make it a little easier to get to?

Good to hear, hopefully one day Syabas can make all of this a lot more automatic for GBPVR users especially if they start hearing comments like this too. Until then there is a group of users here who are working on making the start up easier on this thread.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=35188

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 03:17 AM
I am using hdmi audio

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 02:57 PM
Martin, I now notice that my Netflix watchnow isn't working....did the logs show why that might be?

ricocarlos
2008-06-16, 03:33 PM
Back to the slideshow with music issue: I also use TIVO and installed an app called Galleon. What they do is have a jukebox function. You load the songs you want onto the jukebox. then go to photos, hit play to play a folder of photos and when you hit play again it will start the jukebox playing the songs that are queued onto it. Is there something similar with GBPVR?
BTW, this has really changed my opinion of popcorn hour to the better. I really liked the popcorn hour before, but now I love it.

mvallevand
2008-06-16, 11:26 PM
I saw Netflix errors in the logs, I assume that is because you are trying to play them on the NMT here is what it looks like.

2008-06-15 18:20:55.140 ERROR [6] at Netflix.WatchNow.Downloader.GetStreams(Int64 movieID)
at Netflix.WatchNow.Downloader..ctor(DownloadStatus s, Int32 streamIndex, Boolean autoSaveProgress)
at Netflix.WatchNowPlugin.handlePopupCallback(Object popup, String command)
at GBPVRX2.Popups.PopupBase.closeWithCommand(String command)
at Netflix.DetailsPopup.ActivateItem(Object o)
at GBPVRX2.UiSupport.UiSimpleList.OnKeyDown(KeyEventA rgs e)
at Netflix.DetailsPopup.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
at GBPVRX2.BaseButtonListUiTask.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArg s e)
at Netflix.WatchNowPlugin.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
at GBPVRX2.MenuTask.x9006c1ed9ccb79de.OnKeyDown(KeyEv entArgs e)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()

Note whurlston doesn't use the GBPVR C:\TEMP setting he reads it from Windows %TEMP and that folder needs to exist too.

Also the issue isn't that GBPVR can't do a slideshow with music, I can play one now easily with --no-nmt-gui, the problem is not having enough control over the PCH to control HDMI. If you try it you will see what I mean.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-06-21, 04:11 AM
Also the issue isn't that GBPVR can't do a slideshow with music, I can play one now easily with --no-nmt-gui, the problem is not having enough control over the PCH to control HDMI. If you try it you will see what I mean.

ricocarlos, you've asked about doing a slideshow with music with GBPVR on the NMT forums a few times even though I've already answered you a couple of times here.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-23, 06:11 PM
Yes. I can't get it to work on the popcorn hour. How exactly are you doing a slideshow with music? I can do it in myihome and wizd, but can't figure it out with gb-pvr.

mvallevand
2008-06-23, 11:38 PM
Actually I now remember that because of user issues I partially disabled --no-nmt-gui in the released version from the Music Library. To see/hear it in action you need to start some Internet radio, hit the Menu key to go to your Photo libraries and the start a slide show. Again with HDMI the audio will probably get a bit mixed up.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-24, 02:19 AM
Rats. The reason it is important to me, is that I have a daughter who is autistic, and she is fascinated by our pictures when there is music with them. I know that sounds sappy, but there you have it.

mvallevand
2008-06-24, 02:22 AM
I can certainly re-enable it globally as another option, if the Internet radio mode does works for you.

Martin

sub
2008-06-24, 02:23 AM
Rats. The reason it is important to me, is that I have a daughter who is autistic, and she is fascinated by our pictures when there is music with them. I know that sounds sappy, but there you have it.

Its really Syabas we need to hassle about this stuff. Unfortunately there is only so much we can do without their cooperation.

mvallevand
2008-06-24, 02:50 AM
The "ugly fish" screen saver method as I showed with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpKI36qYobA# does allow me to play a slide show over mono as well, and I could disable the Popcorn Hour background to just fade images in and out. You would just have to create an arbitrarily long playlist of your own images to display.

Martin

ricocarlos
2008-06-24, 01:26 PM
I shall keep hassling Syabas. Thanks guys, you are really responsive, and you have a great product.

ricocarlos
2008-07-02, 04:58 PM
I tried adding the popcorn hour's internal hd as a source for video, but it won't do it. I presume it's permissions issues? I am using the unc to get there.

mvallevand
2008-07-02, 11:43 PM
I tried adding the popcorn hour's internal hd as a source for video, but it won't do it. I presume it's permissions issues? I am using the unc to get there.

It does sound like permissions. I know the default username and password for the nmt is nmt 1234 and I am not sure if it allows guest access. If it does't you'd have to have to either change the properties of the recording service to rum with a name and password or use some tricks to use a drive letter.

Also you might not get very good performance this way. GBPVR will read from the PCH via SMB and then send the file back via http. I have a way around this similar to the DVD play method, I just haven't decided if I will release it because of the permission troubles.

Martin