PDA

View Full Version : Skip fwd/back seems much better on PCH

martint123
2008-06-18, 08:31 AM
I'm guessing that they/you use a different method of skipping forwards and backwards than used on the MVP?

Most noticeable on recordings from terrestrial DVB-T broadcasts where on the MVP skipping was very erratic, often a forward skip taking it backwards. The only cure being something like an audio fix from VideoRedo.

However, with the PCH, it "just seems to work". Unless, that is, the broadcasters have changed something ;)

BrainStormer
2008-06-21, 03:55 PM
Thats because the PCH is using it's own app to play the media. mvpmcx2 just passes the media to the app for playing.

sub
2008-06-21, 05:05 PM
I actually found the opposite. Skip seemed to work better for me on the MVP than it does on the PCH. I might of been lucky with the mux and broadcasts I received, and had almost perfect skipping in the past. It probably comes down to the source material.

With the PCH I find skipping forward often results in a backwards step, or too far, or not far enough. Admittedly this is often with AVI files etc, that the MVP couldnt play at all.

UncleJohnsBand
2008-06-21, 05:07 PM
Most everything I watch via the PCH does not allow me to go backwards on anything.....am I missing something? When I hit the reverse key I just get the blue exclamation mark.....is there some other way to go backwards?

mvallevand
2008-06-21, 06:57 PM
Rewinding an mpeg-ts file has never been implemented (that's what the triangle means) and this is my biggest complaint with the PCH. I don't use it daily as video player however, that's coming soon, but I have been really happy with AVI file handling.

Martin

martint123
2008-06-21, 07:47 PM
With the PCH I find skipping forward often results in a backwards step, or too far, or not far enough. Admittedly this is often with AVI files etc, that the MVP couldnt play at all.

Wierd isn't it - For me, with the MVP it was almost that the "clock" in the file was running slow. Near the start skips worked fairly well, but the further it went the more likely fwd skips were either too short or even backwards.
I spent days trying different mux's with no real change and I put it down to either the broadcast or my reception. VLC seemed to use a different skip method and worked.
The PCH seems to work for my material now, although I seem to be missing fwd skipping on currently recording material.

whatever - thanks both for your work and support on this device.

philly_phenom
2008-07-05, 05:11 AM
I actually found the opposite. Skip seemed to work better for me on the MVP than it does on the PCH. I might of been lucky with the mux and broadcasts I received, and had almost perfect skipping in the past. It probably comes down to the source material.

Same here - MVP skipping was flawless. With the PCH, skipping ahead has at times taken me almost 5 minutes backwards. Seems the further I get into a file, the worse it gets. I can't even use FF at that point, because as soon as I press play, it jumps backwards.

People ask for things like resume & comskip, however, even if those things were able to be implemented, I don't know how it would work if the PCH can't timeseek with any accuracy. I've posted on their forums (and have seen other similar posts), but it seems to be an issue Syabas isn't really concerned about (either that or they don't know how to fix it & would rather push it to the side until they do).

mvallevand
2008-07-05, 05:23 AM
Actually skipping and comskip would share the same logic and as I said about comskip the file positioning is 100% controlled by GBPVR, it doesn't matter how Syabas/Sigma do it, if , noting that this is a big if, I can control the demux like I do with mvpmc.

Martin

martint123
2008-07-05, 08:32 AM
So if skipping becomes controlled by gbpvr and uses the previous method as used with MVP's then my skipping problems would return ? booo hiss :D

@philly_phenom I found that on the MVP fwd and back skipping were wrong and worse the further it went into a recording, BUT, stopping and jumping to a position seemed to work ok.

Hmm, thinking on, I stayed with the Hauppauge dongle on the MVP, I'll have to try mvpmc sometime and see if there is a difference in skipping.

mvallevand
2008-07-06, 02:49 PM
People ask for things like resume & comskip, however, even if those things were able to be implemented, I don't know how it would work if the PCH can't timeseek with any accuracy. I've posted on their forums (and have seen other similar posts), but it seems to be an issue Syabas isn't really concerned about (either that or they don't know how to fix it & would rather push it to the side until they do).

I caught your post and I don't disagree with the reply.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=5781

Until I get consistent TS captures with GBPVR and TSReader and can provide undeniably bad samples to Syabas I am not going to blame them entirely. For now I would be happy if rewind actually did something of mpeg-ts.

Martin

zed
2008-07-06, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried what he suggested? Did it fix the skip issue? Which of the "several freeware programs" would be best to use? I thought it was kind of a flip response, frankly. The skip problem and not being able to skip past commercials is the only issue I have with the PCH. FF mostly works but is also hit or miss when returning to play. All told, I'm pretty pleased with the box...it has great playback without having to dink around with muxes, decoders, fussy video cards & drivers, etc., and have a noisy computer sitting by the TV. GB-PVR, the HD-PVR, and GB-PVR are a dynamite combination.

mvallevand
2008-07-07, 02:16 AM
The problem is pretty complex, and I don't think there is the easy solution by one program. I actually find the file positioning very acceptable with DVD, AVI and MPEG-PS files but with MPEG-TS I have some difficulties, except during time shifting where there is also the 8 second no sound problem even on mpeg-ps captures.

Also I also not sure that everyone on these forums feel that TS files play as perfectly on the PC. DVD-MS seems to be the preferred mux and it is logical that DirectShow handles these but I've read complaints with TS file positioning. Even the Cyberlink mux isn't perfect for creating MPEG-PS files, if it was there would only be one version.

Martin

steveum
2008-07-07, 05:34 PM
I guess I might be getting off topic here, but how do you "skip" with PCH? I can fast forward and I can use numeric keys (1-9) to jump to a percentage, but I have not seen anything regarding skipping ahead. Fast forwarding over commericals on a ts file at 2x max is painful.

I was having troubles fast forwarding over ripped DVD yestereday. After I stopped fast forwarding, it would just return me to the point where I started the fast forward. I think this is a known issue as reported in the link to popcorn hour forum.

sub
2008-07-07, 05:37 PM
It'll skip forward if you press the right navigation key twice (or more)

imagn
2008-07-07, 05:50 PM
and here i though i was the only one having skipping issues with PCH, Glad to know i'm not alone out there, not that that helps anyone and the issue at hand.

JonnyCam
2008-07-08, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I have to decide when watching a recording (from Sat or DVB-T) whether I'd like to play the lottery game with the Popcorn.

Sometimes it goes where I want, sometimes back passed where I started from, sometimes no sound when it returns.
I found that if it's skipping, then going 30osecs - 1 min passed where I want it to play works "reasonably" well

I just blame the signal, but it could be the PCH?