PDA

View Full Version : Standby - WOL

roy
2008-07-07, 05:18 PM
On my old system, when I would standby the computer from the GBPVR System menu, the screen would stay on the confirmation popup, and I could power off the MVP. On my new system, when I confirm standby, after a few seconds, the MVP reboots MVPMC which sends the WOL, and rewakes the PC (if I don't power off quickly enough).

Is there a way to stop the MVPMC reboot after sending standby?

mvallevand
2008-07-07, 08:59 PM
What is happening is that when you poweroff you PC GBPVR doesn't do an orderly shutdown and some TCP messages get to mvpmc when it is shutdown. I could do a better job of signalling a close when the server "crashes" but since this was alway a low priority (and difficult to test thoroughly) so it is what it is.

The solution is don't use --startup emulate

Martin

martint123
2008-07-10, 10:20 AM
I just noticed in my gbpvr logs that the server, which is set to go into standby after 5 minutes during non-viewing hours, has been waking up every 23 minutes during the night.
The MVP normally is left as it is when the TV it switched off. Looks like I'll have to get them to power it off as well now.

mvallevand
2008-07-10, 11:51 AM
Martin, I find it odd that mvpmc would crash after 23 minutes regularly. When you come back to your TV is it showing mvpmc in emulation mode or at the mvpmc main menu?

Martin

martint123
2008-07-10, 02:51 PM
This is odd. I have a missing post again. Even odder, it was a reply to you last time that went astray......

Shorter reply is that I'm not suggestion mvpmc is crashing, just that my server is waking up from sleep. The 23 minutes is very consistent and doesn't vary more than a minute, although I think there is one gap where it didn't wake up for 46 minutes - there again, I only get a wakeup log record, so it may have stayed awake for that time.

The TV shows it is still in emulation mode and the dim gbpvr screen saver is on screen although I didn't look to see if it was moving or not.

I'll reboot the server and MVP and see what happens this evening.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-07-10, 09:08 PM
The only time mvpmc sends the WOL packet is on starting emulation mode. The reason I associate this with a crash is if emulation mode stops because of a socket problem mvpmc either returns to the main menu if things are orderly or it restarts on a crash. On the restart it would perform the --startup emulate action.

Martin

martint123
2008-07-10, 09:24 PM
I'll try to make time tomorrow to try to observe what is happening at both ends of the UTP.
The snag being that they are a long way apart - I guess I need the exercise ;(

mvallevand
2008-07-10, 09:33 PM
The GBPVR MVP*.log files should show everything you need about the restart.

Martin