PDA

View Full Version : New alpha dongle July 16 '08

mvallevand
2008-07-17, 03:40 AM
Couple of small changes to

- support tftp of dongle.bin.config on the Happauge port 16869 if mvpmc share fails.
- updated source to current nightly (no emulation mode change)

Edit updated to potentially speed up the upload 2008-07-26.

Martin

lenor
2008-07-18, 09:43 AM
just fired up the new release! good to know you are going on enhancing it :-)

martin, may i ask, is there a built in fast rewind aswell? i just can find go + skip for ff but no rewind..

mvallevand
2008-07-18, 12:31 PM
This isn't much of an enhancement until sub finds his MVP's power supply but if there are good ideas I will still see what I can do. I don't have any myself.

There is no hardware rewind method know to the mvpmc project and it is unlikely because demux only moves forward.

Martin

sub
2008-07-20, 01:24 AM
This isn't much of an enhancement until sub finds his MVP's power supply..I did find it. I seem to be correctly sending the "mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.108 &" string, but it doesnt seem to do anything differently. Does it need a "\n" on the end or something?

The error you were getting in your logs seemed to relate to a second UDP request arriving for "" and the app not gracefully handling it. I've corrected this, but this was happening after the request for dongle.bin.config was successfully handled. Any ideas?

mvallevand
2008-07-20, 02:15 AM
Here is a pure tftp session from linux

tftp 172.16.3.2 16869
tftp> binary
tftp> get dongle.bin.ver
Received 40 bytes in 0.0 seconds
tftp> get dongle.bin
Received 3629600 bytes in 7.2 seconds
tftp> get dongle.bin.config
Transfer timed out.

The logic for the dongle.bin.config does work if I have a standard tftp server running on the GBPVR box.

Martin

sub
2008-07-20, 02:48 AM
Try this attachment.

mvallevand
2008-07-20, 03:48 AM
That is perfect, now GB-PVR will start mvpmc in emulation mode without a share.

# cat /etc/dongle.config
mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate 172.16.3.2 &

I've been thinking of ways to use tftp as a way to automate mvpmcx2 loading without a share if Syabas include the mvpmcx2 executable with their firmware and I'm glad since this looks like "startmeup" can be passed this way.

Martin

Cyb
2008-07-21, 04:38 PM
So, if I use the pvrx2.exe from subs post above I can then go straight into emulation mode without a share and a config file using version 0.3.4 of mvpmc ?

Or do I additionally need to download the daily build of the dongle from 16th July ?

martint123
2008-07-21, 05:07 PM
I read it that you need dongle.bin.config in the dongle directory along with the dongle. I'm not at home at the moment so can't try this.

Anyway, many thanks to the pair of you, shame it wasn't as easy as this before, or I'd have been using your dongle years ago. :)

sub
2008-07-21, 05:12 PM
You need the updated mvpmc.bin dongle, and the PVRX2.exe, then it'll automatically start in emulation mode without a share or config file.

HtV
2008-07-21, 06:14 PM
You need the updated mvpmc.bin dongle, and the PVRX2.exe, then it'll automatically start in emulation mode with a share or config file.

I guess that should be a "with". :)

Hans

sub
2008-07-21, 06:24 PM
lol - meant to type "You need the updated mvpmc.bin dongle, and the PVRX2.exe, then it'll automatically start in emulation mode without a share or config file"

pz1
2008-07-21, 07:45 PM
lol - meant to type "You need the updated mvpmc.bin dongle, and the PVRX2.exe, then it'll automatically start in emulation mode without a share or config file"
Meaning that this version of mvpmc.bin could be distributed as default dongle with the next release of GBPVR?

martint123
2008-07-21, 07:55 PM

Are you sure of that? I read the thread as tftp downloading the config file but as part of the loading process rather than from a share.

sub
2008-07-21, 07:56 PM
Meaning that this version of mvpmc.bin could be distributed as default dongle with the next release of GBPVR?

No, I dont want to have the hassle of having to worry about the licensing requirements that go with that, so I'll probably just continue to include the current Hauppauge dongle.bin, and recommend people download mvpmc for use on Vista (or XP if they want).

sub
2008-07-21, 07:59 PM
Are you sure of that? I read the thread as tftp downloading the config file but as part of the loading process rather than from a share.Yes, I'm sure.

mvpmc previously used the tftp protocol to download the dongle and a fake file called dongle.bin.ver. Now there is an additional fake file the GB-PVR tftp server can supply (dongle.bin.config). Neither dongle.bin.ver or dongle.bin.config exist on disk.

martint123
2008-07-21, 08:08 PM
Yes, sorry, re-reading it I misinterpreted what was happening.

Even easier!

mvallevand
2008-07-21, 10:38 PM
I support the decision to not include mvpmc with GB-PVR. It was always intended as an alternative and if someone is 100% happy with the Hauppauge dongle that is default now (it was their best version IMHO) there really isn't any need to change. Besides who knows how many different versions there will be?

On the other hand I don't think the license issues is any different now than when gbpvr.bin was included and is probably equal to distributing ffmpeg today.

Also has anyone other then me confirmed that this works as planned? I'd like to move the change to the mvpmc source library sometime if it works out.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-22, 06:18 AM
I guess that should be a "with". :)

Hans

I only spotted it now, I too meant to type without ofcourse.:o

Hans

pz1
2008-07-22, 06:37 AM
Also has anyone other then me confirmed that this works as planned? I'd like to move the change to the mvpmc source library sometime if it works out.

I deleted the share. It works fine here!

Pieter

mvallevand
2008-07-22, 11:50 AM
I deleted the share. It works fine here!

Thank Pieter, I don't know where mvpmc would ever have been "with" you.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-22, 07:53 PM
Thank Pieter, I don't know where mvpmc would ever have been "with" you.

Martin

:D I'll try it sometime this week too, with and with share.;)

Hans

Jaggy
2008-07-23, 12:19 AM

Martin

First time mvpmc user here, I have always been going to try it out but never seemed to get the time to figure out what I had to do :o On first impressions all I can say is WOW why didn't I try it sooner :rolleyes: I can also see I have a bit to learn as a couple of things I tried didn't work as expected so you may be getting a few more messages from me soon :)

jksmurf
2008-07-23, 02:23 AM
You need the updated mvpmc.bin dongle, and the PVRX2.exe, then it'll automatically start in emulation mode without a share or config file.

This is pretty cool and groovy, and hassle free for new MVP users I must say, congrats to you both for such an elegant solution!

If it transported to the PCH I can do away with share, with which I had a number of teething problems esp. with share and file permissions. Fewer support issue for Martin if it is all go.

Two Q's though.

The emulate blah blah blah lines had other information like PAL, S-Video, 16:9 or 4:3 etc etc. How would the MVP know about this if there is just a standard dongle load and away you go?
If I unshare my share, this should just work, correct (need to try), assuming I have teh PVRX2 above and the the dongle configured in config and unlugged replugged my MVP to load it.
k.

mvallevand
2008-07-23, 02:49 AM
k,

All the really basic dongle settings are read from flash, just like they do when using the Hauppauge dongle. For some mvpmc specific setting you would need a share, or you would need to go into the mvpmc configuration web server and re-enable them.

For the PCH, you still need to load the telnet.html and the script from a drive somewhere. The only advantage this method has is it negates the need for a guest share for mvpmc which so many people have had trouble with on their Windows boxes.

Martin

jksmurf
2008-07-23, 03:11 AM
Thanks Martin.

I am a big fan of the mvpmc webserver (which doesn't get promoted much!) as it has the IE look and feel mosty folks are familiar with and is not prone to the vagaries o fteh emulate lines and scripts. Would all the items in my script be able to be configured from the webserver? If not, could that be a wee request?

umount /etc/mvpmc
mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/mvpmc /etc/mvpmc -o username=guest,password=guest,rw
mvpmc -F /etc/mvpmc/defaults -m pal -a 16:9auto -o svideo -o passthru --flicker 2 --startup emulate --emulate 192.168.1.10 &

For the PCH, No problem with loading the telnet.html that's easy for most too. I think the share issue has been the biggest bugbear here. GREAT!

k.

mvallevand
2008-07-23, 03:25 AM
It's been so long no but I think you were using an advanced setting to control the volume of mvpmc which is why you needed -F .. but I think everything else can be controlled by the web server. If not am not going to make any changes to it since Jon's already made a better web interface to mvpmc for the pch, mvp etc, which lets you control mono (or the mvp media player) from a browser.

Martin

lenor
2008-07-23, 06:43 AM
There is no hardware rewind method know to the mvpmc project and it is unlikely because demux only moves forward.

ah, i see and... it's a pity, as i do like this smooth ff of the mvpmc

Cyb
2008-07-26, 09:23 AM

Yes, this works perfectly with GBPVR 1.2.13 and the updated PVRX2 from subs post and this (http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/dongle.zip) dongle. I've never tried mvpmc before so had no share or config file or anything, just simply changed the dongle in the GBPVR config.

HtV
2008-07-26, 09:50 AM
Hi Martin, The new dongle works great, it's a bit slower in loading the dongle for the first time, that got me worried a few times. I thought it had stopped, but after a little time it proceeded. :-) Great work, specially for the new users of the mvpmc dongle. I noticed an error in the dongle filename, dongle.mvpmc-20080816.bin(august), I guess that should be dongle.mvpmc-20087016.bin (july) cya Hans

mvallevand
2008-07-26, 01:19 PM
Thanks both of you for the extra confirmation.

Hans, it could be slower than the share method if a firewall is blocking other attempts to get the dongle on port 69 masking whether the port can be opened. Can you disable your firewall and see if this makes a speed difference? if it does I will reverse the order and call the GB-PVR port first.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-26, 04:00 PM
I don't use a firewall on my server. To be clear, I'm talking about a few delays in the loading of the dongle after unplugging the mvp. So that's normally a one-time event. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow and let you know. cya Hans

mvallevand
2008-07-26, 06:29 PM
Upload your GBPVR logs if this continues, the only explication that I see is this is a throughput issue on the initial transfer of the dongle. By the time the this difference is even applicable, the dongle has had to be tranfer, the new linux kernel loaded and executed and finally the mvpmc startup script requests the config file.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-26, 09:43 PM
Ok this is the story.
I pulled the plug of the mvp, waited ~10secs, plugged in again.
After a few secs 1 2 3 blue blocks appeared. I waited for the last 2 blocks but they wouldn't show up. It started again a few times (after ~ 1 min.) with one blue block, but wouldn't finish.
Pulled the plug again, waited ~20 secs, plugged in again. Now everything went fine, took ~40 secs to go from 3 to 4 blocks, but I think that's normal.
Than the colored sqares: the first 6 come quick the 7th takes about 10 secs and the 8th takes ~ 25 secs. (that is if I remember right).
I zipped the log file. I hope it helps. Let me know if you need more.

Cya Hans

Ps, Anyone else having problems with the menu in the reply window (can't click smilies or the buttons in the taskbar), in firefox it won't work for me. In IE it works fine.

mvallevand
2008-07-26, 09:55 PM
Hans, the problem is not mvpmc or this version, the upload of the dongle is between the MVP's firmware and sub. Here is how it is failing

2008-07-26 23:22:31.390 VERBOSE [4] Sent dongle block 5840
2008-07-26 23:22:31.437 VERBOSE [4] Sent dongle block 5860
2008-07-26 23:22:33.968 VERBOSE [4] TFTP dongle block 5863 resent
2008-07-26 23:22:36.484 VERBOSE [4] TFTP dongle block 5863 resent twice
2008-07-26 23:22:39.000 VERBOSE [4] TFTP dongle block 5863 not acknowledged. cancelling transfer...
2008-07-26 23:22:41.531 VERBOSE [4] TFTP dongle block 5864 resent
2008-07-26 23:22:44.046 VERBOSE [4] TFTP dongle block 5864 resent twice

Edit and I"m still having the same GBPVR specific firefox problems as I described here: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=36297

Martin

HtV
2008-07-26, 10:19 PM
Thanks Martin,

The first failure to load the dongle had nothing to do with mvpmc, I already thought so.
But the long pause after that (when the red and green squares are showing), is that normal? As I said it doesn't really bother me because it's a kind of one-time thing.
I think it's this moment in the logs:

2008-07-26 23:23:43.515 VERBOSE [4] Sent: C:\Program Files\Devnz\GBPVR\dongle\dongle.mvpmc-20080716.bin
2008-07-26 23:24:39.375 VERBOSE [4] Received MVP TFTP request: dongle.bin.config

Maybe it's just normal, I don't know, it's been months since the last time I loaded a dongle.:)

Wrt Firefox, I remember changing my DNS-server to OpenDNS, so I thought maybe it's that, I changed it back to automatic (Isp dns), but at the same time I cleared the Firefox cache (never do 2 things at the same time), now it works again.:) But I still not sure about the cause:mad:. I set the dns-servers back to OpenDNS and it keeps working. So I guess it's a cache matter.

cya Hans

mvallevand
2008-07-26, 10:54 PM
I updated the dongle with the tftp port change I talked about, I think this will make a speed difference on that last green dot.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-26, 11:11 PM
Ok, downloaded it and tested it.
Works fine and definitely quicker. The last green dot is almost instant now.
Just in case you are interested, I included the log.
Thanks and cya

Hans

mvallevand
2008-07-26, 11:22 PM
Great, that is about a thirty second saving, same as my test. I thought it was related to the firewall though, I guess it is just a tftp timeout thingy.

Thanks (from the others who will use this) for your help. Like I said to Pieter I don't know what mvpmc would be "with" you.

Martin

HtV
2008-07-27, 07:54 AM
Like I said to Pieter I don't know what mvpmc would be "with" you.

Well I'm quite sure it wouldn't be much different from where it is now.;)
But thanks anyway.

Hans

Khurram
2008-09-14, 06:37 AM
Working great with updated pvrx2 and dongle 20080726 :)

One little question: how do you exit the gbpvr menu to go back into mvpmc menu? There is no Exit option in the GBPVR menu and the Back/Exit button on the remote does nothing.

Thanks.

Jaggy
2008-09-14, 07:07 AM
Try pressing "Go" & then "Back/Exit".

You can also get a FF like action by pressing "Go" & then the "FF" keys.

But that's all the mvpmc specific keys I have seen mentioned & to be honest I have no idea where to search to find out what others there are.

Khurram
2008-09-14, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=Jaggy;295953]Try pressing "Go" & then "Back/Exit".

You can also get a FF like action by pressing "Go" & then the "FF" keys.[QUOTE]

Thanks, but these key sequences dont work.

Jaggy
2008-09-14, 07:23 AM
Hmmm not sure what is happening, but I just checked & I have the same mvpmc dongle as you & the updated PVRX2 & they work fine for me.

Khurram
2008-09-14, 07:28 AM
Maybe its a different MediaMVP? I have a MediaMVP Wireless rev H3.

Khurram
2008-09-14, 07:57 AM
Reverted back to dongle.mvpmc-20080405.bin from donglex2a.zip archive and the above key combos work. So does telnet and mvpmc web server but no auto-starting gbpvr. Going "up" to dongle 20080726 and same behavior as before: autostart gbpvr, no telnet, no webserver, no mvpmc menu.

mvallevand
2008-09-14, 12:24 PM
Going "up" to dongle 20080726 and same behavior as before: autostart gbpvr, no telnet, no webserver, no mvpmc menu.

I would also expect you aren't getting the mvpmc logo which would mean either you haven't got the correct dongle named in config.xml or the mvpmc dongle isn't loading in the thirty seconds available and the MVP is reverting to loading the dongle in flash. I am not impressed with the wireless MVP performance in general and I often see this.

Compress and upload your logs and I can have a look.

Martin

Khurram
2008-09-14, 03:39 PM
I would also expect you aren't getting the mvpmc logo which would mean either you haven't got the correct dongle named in config.xml or the mvpmc dongle isn't loading in the thirty seconds available and the MVP is reverting to loading the dongle in flash. I am not impressed with the wireless MVP performance in general and I often see this.

Compress and upload your logs and I can have a look.

Martin

I did get the mvpmc logo as the screensaver, so I think it was loading Sep 12 2008 nightly build. Next I turned the MediaMVP off, copied dongle from donglex2a.zip to the gbpvr folder and turned MediaMVP on. This time it worked okay for exiting back to mvpmc menu. Very strange. If you still want the log, I can attach it here.

mvallevand
2008-09-14, 05:35 PM
Yes please. You can't be seeing the mvpmc logo in the screen saver if you can't use Go Back, in emulation mode you see the GBPVR screen saver.

Martin

Khurram
2008-09-14, 06:11 PM
Yes please. You can't be seeing the mvpmc logo in the screen saver if you can't use Go Back, in emulation mode you see the GBPVR screen saver.

Ok, it might be the GBPVR logo. Sorry for the confusion but now I am not sure which one it was :confused: I will retry tomorrow to reproduce the problem with mvpmc-20080726.bin and will post the logs here.

Right now I am using mvpmc-20080912.bin and aside from not auto-starting GBPVR, it seems okay. But I have tested it extensively. Is there any reason not to use this version?

Jaggy
2008-09-14, 09:23 PM
If it was me I would hook it up wired (I assume your version has the wired option?) & get everything working first so I knew what it was meant to look like & how it was meant to react & then go to wireless.

Khurram
2008-09-21, 04:39 PM
I will retry tomorrow to reproduce the problem with mvpmc-20080726.bin and will post the logs here.

I have tried to reproduce the problem (where the I couldnt exit back to mvpmc from emulation mode), but I havent been able to. Maybe I did something wrong at that time. It seems to be ok now.

mvallevand
2008-09-21, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update, it really sounds like the problem was the MVP loaded the flash dongle.

I missed your question on the whether this version is ok. I use it without problem but a very small minority of mvpmc/MythTV users don't think the file a/v sync has been good since the July nightlies. I haven't had the same reports from GBPVR users and they share the same video play logic.

Martin