PDA

View Full Version : Playing TS files with mvpmc

daneo
2008-11-09, 09:31 AM
Hi Martin,

just wondering about streaming my TS Mux files out to the mvpmc without transcoding them first -- do you know of any way to handle this yet?

Moving to TS Mux is godsend, but the remuxing (see other post from today) has always been a big issue.

I never knew mvpmc had a web front-end -- would it be possible to set the dongle to boot directly into emulation mode without going thru the 1st boot menu first?

Thanks,
Dane

(spending a LOT more time in mvp logfiles with the umlaut bug and ffmpeg upgrade)

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-11-09, 11:31 AM
would it be possible to set the dongle to boot directly into emulation mode without going thru the 1st boot menu first?

Check out this thread: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=38574

Chris

mvallevand
2008-11-09, 01:19 PM
Dane in config.xml you need to set

<MvpTranscodeTS> false</MvpTranscodeTS>

It is a per MVP setting you it needs to go in the <MVP-....> section.

Martin

daneo
2008-11-10, 06:26 AM
Hi Martin,

found it -- works like a charm!

I'll see if I can discover any unpleasant side-effects otherwise well done for both Sub and Martin.

Regards,
Dane

mvallevand
2008-11-10, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the update, I am pleasantly surprised.

Martin

bgowland
2008-11-10, 05:56 PM
@Martin - I was wondering if you could shed some light on the way things work with <MvpTranscodeTS> set to false. Some background to the problem I'm trying to solve is in posts #1 and #3 of this thread...

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=38632

To summarise, I get no sound on playback of .ts files in pvrx2 (on PC not MVP) regardless of audio decoder I use. I do, however, get sound with any decoder if I render the .ts file in Graphedit then create my own mpeg1 audio pin on the demux.

So (coming to the point)... I spotted this thread and decided to see what happened with mvpmc and <MvpTranscodeTS> set to false. Video is faultless but, again, no audio.

The common denominator is obviously the audio stream in the ts file but why wouldn't mvpmc be able to handle it when it's clearly OK when I create my own demux audio pin in Graphedit? :confused:

Cheers,
Brian

mvallevand
2008-11-10, 06:51 PM
Try and hit the GO key followed by the Mute to tell emulation mode to try other other audio stream. If that doesn't work I suggest trying the file in mvpmc native mode directly from the mvpmc share folder. In the Filesystem mode you should be able to navigate to your file hit play and then the menu key will allow you to see what audio and video streams are in the ts.

Martin

bgowland
2008-11-10, 08:30 PM
Thanks - will try later when I have access to the tv/mvp again. I'm new to mvpmc so have yet to explore various features - I'll do some reading on native mode etc.

Cheers,
Brian

macgyver
2008-11-11, 04:56 PM
I got very excited (sad, I know) when I read here that we could play ts files on the MVP without transcoding and went to try it straight away. It did work too, sound and everything, but - skip just starts the file from the beginning again - is that expected?

mvallevand
2008-11-11, 05:20 PM
macgyver, that is the kind of thing I expected. In emulation mode GBPVR is responsible for navigating the file and I don't think sub has updated any of the parsing logic to actually deal with a ts, it is pass through only.

Martin

daneo
2008-11-17, 09:31 PM
Hi Martin,

I think we need to bribe Sub (sorry, donate) for the TS skip functionality -- the speed is just a dream and I'm convinced that sound and picture are better as well! The ability to boot into emualation is just the icing on the cake...

@Sub -- any suggestions?

Late Regards from Frankfurt,
Dane

mvallevand
2008-11-17, 11:28 PM
Hi Martin,

I think we need to bribe Sub (sorry, donate) for the TS skip functionality -- the speed is just a dream and I'm convinced that sound and picture are better as well! The ability to boot into emualation is just the icing on the cake...

@Sub -- any suggestions?

Late Regards from Frankfurt,
Dane

I hope so too but considering how much things have improved since I asked about improved TS support in just one year http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=30098 I am pleased with the progress.

Martin

Jaggy
2009-01-30, 09:02 PM
We have finally got around to playing with SD .ts recordings with 1.3.11 using the <MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS> option & mvpmc.

One very odd observation we have come across so far is if we play back a SD .ts recording on the MVP the timeline is showing as 1 minute (this has happen with all recordings tested so far) but on the PC the timeline shows up correctly we can skip (both back & forward) perfectly. If we rename the recording to .mpg then on the MVP it show the correct timeline & skip fine, Huh?? What is the difference with the way it handles (.ts) mpg's & .ts files?

Damn, on reading this thread I now think it is probably a GB problem not passing the information onto mvpmc. Hmm wonder if I set up a postprocessing batch file to rename from .ts to .mpg if the recording will still show up in the recording screen? Time to play some more I guess.

mvallevand
2009-01-30, 11:18 PM
In the other thread on this http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?p=296151 sub said "I did add logic to allow it to pass a .ts file through unaltered, but its still only a half-arsed solution at best. (since there is no knowledge of the stream duration or current stream position etc, and no skipping etc)."

I can't see simply renaming it helping but I thought that was you had trouble doing that before.

Martin

Jaggy
2009-01-31, 01:56 AM
In the other thread on this http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?p=296151 sub said "I did add logic to allow it to pass a .ts file through unaltered, but its still only a half-arsed solution at best. (since there is no knowledge of the stream duration or current stream position etc, and no skipping etc)."

Well there is something different as to how mvpmc handles (or gb passes) .mpg & .ts files as the EXACT SAME file reacts quite differently depending on the extension?

I can't see simply renaming it helping

But it does?? & that is what is puzzling me & making me ask stupid questions (& I guess not just excepting that "that's the way it is" <grin>)

but I thought that was you had trouble doing that before.

Yes it was me, but at that stage we couldn't pass .ts files straight to the mvp sub had just said he would include that function in the next version so I didn't spend much time trying to figure a way around the problem as I just decided to wait for the next version, also sub has added some new features as to how it handles transcoded .ts files so that may help. Unfortunately my development pc has decided to not recognize it's hdd at the moment so I have come to a grinding halt investigating what it will & won't do for the time being :(

peanut
2009-02-02, 09:11 AM
I have just play around with SD .ts recordings and rename the recording to .mpg and the 2 i tried tonight stayed in the mvp recording folder and play a good time line

mvallevand
2009-02-02, 05:32 PM
Perhaps GBPVR processes them differently, but mvpmc processes mpg, mpeg, vob and ts file extensions the same way. The file is parsed and if it is a transport stream it is muxed to mpeg-ps because the MVP hardware cannot play mpeg-ts files.

Martin

sub
2009-02-02, 05:52 PM
The next version of pvrx2.exe may improve things slightly.

Jaggy
2009-02-04, 02:13 AM
I'm finally back up & running with my development machine using an old sloooow 20Gb IDE hdd instead of my SATA drive (that is working fine in a different PC...I will never understand computer hardware) & am sort of able to play with this again.

I have just play around with SD .ts recordings and rename the recording to .mpg and the 2 i tried tonight stayed in the mvp recording folder and play a good time line

Thanks for that, indeed they are now not disappearing from the recordings screen when I rename them...thanks sub :)

Perhaps GBPVR processes them differently, but mvpmc processes mpg, mpeg, vob and ts file extensions the same way. The file is parsed and if it is a transport stream it is muxed to mpeg-ps because the MVP hardware cannot play mpeg-ts files.

Thanks as well Martin, that's what I thought but wanted confirmed.

The next version of pvrx2.exe may improve things slightly.

Thanks sub.....another carrot dangling to make me look forward to the next release :D

Next to write the postprocessing batch to rename .ts files.

A quick question Martin as you seem to have done a lot of research into .ts files, what would you recommend as a program to run the .ts's through to tidy up any glitchy timelines? I had a look at tsdoctor but it isn't command line driven & I would like to do this as part of the postprocessing batch.

mvallevand
2009-02-04, 02:33 AM
There is tsremux or ts4np but like tsdoctor, they don't fix the timeline, they fix or clean the parts of a ts file (pid's pat's pmt's etc) that often cause other problems. To rebuild a timeline you need to decode/encode.

Martin

Jaggy
2009-02-06, 12:29 AM
Um er OK I will be totally honest here I don't know stuff all about .ts files & when I call it the "timeline" I may be totally wrong. :o

To explain I sometimes get digital recordings that appear to have good timelines (when pressing the blue button) but I can't skip back & forward in them as they will end up at some random point, I have always thought these were bad recordings possibly a glitch while they were recording & one of the tools would fix them??

I have also had the "timeline" appears to be totally wrong on the mvp as in 1 second long or starting at 17 seconds & finishing at 18 seconds so you can't skip at all, but when tested on the server pc the "timeline" is fine & skip works fine???? This one has me totally baffled :confused:

peanut
2009-02-06, 03:34 AM
You said that will I’m getting the same

mvallevand
2009-02-06, 03:48 AM
mpeg ts and ps files are not the same. In emulation mode mvpmc has nothing to do with the OSD timeline or the file positioning or navigation that all comes from GBPVR but these are not calculated properly in the current release but sub wrote that it might be better in a future release. Since it is hit or miss you might think it is working but it is not.

If you must play SD mpeg-ts files properly you would need to use mvpmc's native mode. Otherwise I continue to recommend that postprocessing of files as the only real solution for the mvp.

Martin

Jaggy
2009-02-06, 05:25 AM
Thanks Martin that sort of even made sense to me :p

If you must play SD mpeg-ts files properly you would need to use mvpmc's native mode. Otherwise I continue to recommend that postprocessing of files as the only real solution for the mvp.

I had also come to this conclusion. I now 'just' have to find a ffmpeg profile that works for these recordings I guess.......more learning...keeps the brain young I guess <grin>

sub
2009-02-06, 05:36 AM
It may or may not help, but try the attached patch. Untested.

mvallevand
2009-02-06, 06:09 AM
On the PCH I still see 1 second duration.

Martin

sub
2009-02-06, 06:17 AM
Can you play the start of a file, then post your mvp-pvrx2.exe.log? (I'll look at it in the morning)

mvallevand
2009-02-06, 06:25 AM
Sure

Martin

sub
2009-02-07, 04:31 AM
2009-02-06 01:23:33.894 VERBOSE [7] getValue: /settings/MvpTranscodeTS : true
Can you see if setting <MvpTranscodeTS> to 'false' helps?

mvallevand
2009-02-07, 04:49 AM
Ok, there are two ways that <MVPTranscodeTS> can be set. At the settings level changing it to false doesn't seem to be read. At the mvpspecific level it is read but only when I am not a PCH.

Unfortunately with the PCH emulating an MVP the time still showed as 1 second.
There was a new log entry though ... First PTS is: 2431440000

Martin

peanut
2009-02-07, 08:11 AM
I have copped the pvrx2 patch and installed it. Done some recordings today and got one that skips well and one doesnít (this is the first ts file Iíve been able to skip with mvp thanks). I played the good one and done a skip (about 10sec long) then played the bad one and done the same. Attached logs. The bad one time line looks good but the time starts at 6-40-45 and ends at 9-48-36 and it run good on the pc and on the pc it starts at 0 ends at 3-07-50

Bobins
2009-02-10, 12:03 AM
I'm also trying to get SD TS files to play on the MVP as an alternative to transcode (which has proved hit & miss for me so far). I'd also like to try live TV on the MVP too.

Using mvpmc in emulation mode, the TS file will play but won't skip as the timeline shows a 1 second recording.

What is absolutely true though is if you rename a TS file to MPG, it shows the correct timeline and seems to work great with all control features.

Perhaps SUB could create a config option that we could set to cause the MVP to process .TS files as if they were .MPG?

If this worked, would we be able to watch a show on the MVP whilst it was recording or even watch live TV via the timeshift buffer?

Jaggy
2009-02-10, 12:35 AM
Oddly enough I have been following your thread on transcoding in the zprocess forum as for me while the renamed to .mpg SD recordings sometimes have a good timeline it is hit & miss as some (LOTS) have a really bad timeline & are impossible to skip or resume on. As I said above I don't know enough about this stuff & it is really frustrating that some work really well but lots don't. So I have been looking at your transcode profile which works really well for my recording....only problem it is so slow to transcode. The Mencoder line that Martin posted is really fast (about 1 minute for a 1/2 hour recording) but the skip isn't perfect.

soccerdad
2009-02-10, 01:05 AM
I also tested renaming .ts to mpg and although it does play well, the timeline was way off (5 minutes for a 2 hour show).

mvallevand
2009-02-10, 04:54 AM
Oddly enough I have been following your thread on transcoding in the zprocess forum as for me while the renamed to .mpg SD recordings sometimes have a good timeline it is hit & miss as some (LOTS) have a really bad timeline & are impossible to skip or resume on. As I said above I don't know enough about this stuff & it is really frustrating that some work really well but lots don't. So I have been looking at your transcode profile which works really well for my recording....only problem it is so slow to transcode. The Mencoder line that Martin posted is really fast (about 1 minute for a 1/2 hour recording) but the skip isn't perfect.

If the a/v stays in sync that means the encoding I was trying for is working, since it is really for on-the-fly use. If skipping is failing this more than likely is a bad timeline, which as I explained earlier in this thread can really only be fixed with a transcode (ie what Bobins script does).

Anyway I am getting really confused and lost on all the threads about ts streams and transcoding for the MVP that seem to be overtaking this forum, that I am going to step back. I think I have pointed out that mvpmc can fix some things and sub might be able to make things better in the future but if the current defaults or zprocess don't work for you I think the best bet is to learn some simple mencoder and ffmpeg (even trying nightly builds) commands to tweak your own postprocessing.bat files. This is not the one-size-fits all solution like xvid/divx avi's

Bobin's quote "What is absolutely true..." reminds me of the reported quote from an ex-Mayor of Montreal, Jean Drapeau who served 25+ years when asked his feelings about the maxim "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" He said "That's true, but not absolutely true"

Martin

soccerdad
2009-02-10, 05:27 PM
I am trying the patch sub posted on page 3 of this thread, but zprocess is still trying to transcode it. What is the easiest way to disable it so I can try this patch that tells the MVP that .ts files are mpg files?

Jaggy
2009-02-10, 07:06 PM
I am trying the patch sub posted on page 3 of this thread, but zprocess is still trying to transcode it. What is the easiest way to disable it so I can try this patch that tells the MVP that .ts files are mpg files?

I suspect you will need to add <MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS> (or change it from "true" if it is already there) to your config.xml, I just popped it in amongst the other MvpTranscodes options.

Bobins
2009-02-10, 08:45 PM
In my case the <MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS> line wasn't in the config at all (with true or false) and just putting it in the general or "default" MVP area didn't work.

I had to add the line into an area specifically identified by the MVP's MAC address.

sub
2009-02-10, 10:38 PM
Ok, there are two ways that <MVPTranscodeTS> can be set. At the settings level changing it to false doesn't seem to be read. At the mvpspecific level it is read but only when I am not a PCH.

Unfortunately with the PCH emulating an MVP the time still showed as 1 second.
There was a new log entry though ... First PTS is: 2431440000

MartinSorry, I looked at the code, and found the problem. To get it to work you'd have to have <MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS> at the settings level, and <MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS> at the MAC specific level. Note the difference in case between these two.

I'll tidy this up in the next release.

Jaggy
2009-02-10, 11:12 PM
and <MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS> at the MAC specific level.

Is the "MAC specific" section there by default....I'm a bit lost as to exactly where I am meant to add the second (with capital MVP) line?

soccerdad
2009-02-10, 11:20 PM
I added these lines and it now directly plays the .ts SD files from video library. I have timeline issues, but it views fine. It fast forwards through about half of the show. It also works on live tv (dvbs) but the audio is way out of sync, about 2 seconds ahead of the video. It also has problems releasing the tuner after live tv. I have to manually restart the recording service from the tray after I view live tv or it says no tuner available.

What happens if you set MVPTranscode to true? And which one do you set?

Jaggy
2009-02-11, 12:08 AM
Come on guys I have been trying to help out answering questions where I can & I am starting to feel like I am talking (typing) to a brick wall when I ask for help :( Where does the second MVPTranscode go in the config.xml

ACTCMS
2009-02-11, 12:38 AM
Here are my <MVPSpecificSettings> (MAC addresses changed to protect the innocent...

<MVPSpecificSettings>
<MAC-DEFAULT>
<!-- this functionality is not complete yet, so dont attempt to use it -->
<MVPBrightness>0</MVPBrightness>
<!-- pal/ntsc/auto -->
<MVPVideoStandard>auto</MVPVideoStandard>
<!-- none/high/medium/low -->
<MVPFlickerFilter>none</MVPFlickerFilter>
<!-- true/false -->
<MVP16x9Mode>true</MVP16x9Mode>
<!-- 0=RGB,1=composite,2=svideo -->
<MVPOutput>1</MVPOutput>
<!-- position -->
<MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth>
<MVPHeight>500</MVPHeight>
<MVPOffsetX>44</MVPOffsetX>
<MVPOffsetY>40</MVPOffsetY>
</MAC-DEFAULT>
<MAC-000DEF008B8F>
<MVPOutput>1</MVPOutput>
<MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth>
</MAC-000DEF008B8F>
<MAC-000DF2E37D4E>
<MVPOutput>1</MVPOutput>
<MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth>
</MAC-000DF2E37D4E>
</MVPSpecificSettings>
I'm a bit behind with the .ts stuff, but I think you just need to set up a <MAC-000000000000> section for the MVP you're testing on and put your
<MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS> in there. You should find your MVP's MAC address on a sticker underneath...;)

mvallevand
2009-02-11, 12:38 AM
Sorry, I looked at the code, and found the problem. To get it to work you'd have to have <MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS> at the settings level, and <MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS> at the MAC specific level. Note the difference in case between these two.

I'll tidy this up in the next release.

Thanks sub, I get the correct duration on the PCH now. It's still easier than configuring MythTV.

@Jaggy make sure you have the PVRx2.exe from this thread and both these entries using your MVP specific MAC address in config.xml

<MvpTranscodeTS>false</MvpTranscodeTS>
<MVPSpecificSettings>
<MAC-000DFE0301AE>
<MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS>
</MAC-000DFE0301AE>

Martin

Jaggy
2009-02-12, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the replies Martin & Alex. It could be if like me you don't have a specified MAC address for your MVP it isn't needed? As adding it didn't make any difference that I could see for playing .ts files although interesting when I added the whole section my MVP went into a sort of slow motion for changing items on the main menu, removing everything but the header, footer & <MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS> & it came back to normal.

mvallevand
2009-02-12, 12:54 AM
It's needed for mpeg-ts playback if you want OSD and skip etc. If you don't have a group for your MAC address copy this default one in and change -DEFAULT to your MVP's MAC address in upper case.

<MAC-DEFAULT>
<MVP16x9Mode>false</MVP16x9Mode>
<!-- position -->
<MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth>
<MVPTranscodeTS>false</MVPTranscodeTS>
</MAC-DEFAULT>

Jaggy
2009-02-12, 01:21 AM
Ok I added the whole section above & it makes my screen display on the mvp very slow & jerky, by disabling

<!-- <MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth> -->
<!-- <MVPHeight>500</MVPHeight> -->
<!-- <MVPOffsetX>44</MVPOffsetX> -->
<!-- <MVPOffsetY>40</MVPOffsetY> -->

makes the menus behave like normal.

mvallevand
2009-02-12, 01:57 AM
I just copied the defaults they do seem too big to me for pal.

Martin

Jaggy
2009-02-18, 10:15 PM
Quick follow up for those of you who may be wanting to use this feature

Ok I added the whole section above & it makes my screen display on the mvp very slow & jerky, by disabling

<!-- <MVPWidth>640</MVPWidth> -->
<!-- <MVPHeight>500</MVPHeight> -->
<!-- <MVPOffsetX>44</MVPOffsetX> -->
<!-- <MVPOffsetY>40</MVPOffsetY> -->

makes the menus behave like normal.

for my changing <MVPUseIncrementalUpdates>false</MVPUseIncrementalUpdates> from true to false fixed all the menu display problems & allowed me to position/size the display indervidually for the three MVP's I have hooked up, I have to say it is MUCH nicer having the display fill & fit the TV screen properly.

recordit
2009-09-15, 04:04 PM
I added these lines and it now directly plays the .ts SD files from video library. I have timeline issues, but it views fine. It fast forwards through about half of the show. It also works on live tv (dvbs) but the audio is way out of sync, about 2 seconds ahead of the video. It also has problems releasing the tuner after live tv. I have to manually restart the recording service from the tray after I view live tv or it says no tuner available.

What happens if you set MVPTranscode to true? And which one do you set?
I don't know if the horse is dead yet and don't want to continue kicking it, but was curious if anyone has fixed the time sync issue playing .ts files on the MVP using mvpmc emulation? I also see the sound is ahead of the video by about 3-4 seconds.

Todd

mvallevand
2009-09-15, 04:26 PM
I don't know if the horse is dead yet and don't want to continue kicking it, but was curious if anyone has fixed the time sync issue playing .ts files on the MVP using mvpmc emulation? I also see the sound is ahead of the video by about 3-4 seconds.

Todd

In North America it certainly is "dead" since the AC3 audio is not sync'ed with the video.

Martin

recordit
2009-09-15, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the quick clarification! Saves my time for better use :)

Bobins
2009-09-15, 09:16 PM
I play SD TS files on any of my MVPs without transcoding and they're all in sync. I use the MVPMC dongle and the timeline /skip is correct most of the time. Occasionally I get a recording with a timeline showing 1 second and can't skip but that seems random on some channels. It can be fixed via post recording processing (videoredo).

Overall the timeline playing back TS recordings on the MVPs is ok about 90% of the time. Playing back a programme which is in the process of recording (timeshift) never shows the correct timeline and won't skip (but is ok playing back once the recording is finished)

Why there's a difference between playing a completed recording vs one which is being recorded we never got to the bottom of.

sub
2009-09-15, 09:23 PM
I play SD TS files on any of my MVPs without transcoding and they're all in sync.Unfortunately recordit isnt going to fare as well as you since he's in North America and likely have channels with AC3 audio and/or highdef video. AC3 audio is done in software on mvpmcx2 and has A/V sync issues. HD video is a non-starter on the MVP.

recordit
2009-09-22, 04:58 AM
Martin or Sub, would this be true (A/V sync issues) for any MUX I choose for the recordings that would later be played on the MVP? I've been experimenting with a number of different Cyberlink mux versions to record to .mpg and basically having almost the same issues. Would the better route be to pass the .ts files through a transcoder to fix the out of sync issues or would I continue to see these same issues?

Thanks for your help.

mvallevand
2009-09-22, 05:16 AM
The mux is just a container so it won't correct the underlying problem that the MVP can't sync AC3 audio with video. Transcoding does work for some people, it never worked as well for me as avi to mpeg for whatever reason.

You can convert ts to mpg (ps) on-the-fly you but GBPVR profile for the MVP is designed for copying audio which works in most of the SD DVB world but not with QAM or ATSC.

Martin

recordit
2009-09-22, 05:52 AM
Thanks - so I guess the audio is still being saved as AC3 no matter what mux is chosen [saved in .mpg (program stream), .ts or DVR-MS] and that in North America it's not synced from the cable provider.
I had assumed that any file saved as .mpg was similar in structure to my analog PVR350 recordings that saved to .mpg. Not being an A/V expert, how was the audio saved from the analog cards? I had assumed the audio stream was embedded into the .mpg file someway and I would have thought the digital recorded .mpg would have been the same too. Why the difference?

sub
2009-09-22, 04:41 PM
so I guess the audio is still being saved as AC3 no matter what mux is chosen [saved in .mpg (program stream), .ts or DVR-MS] Correct. You get whatever format the broadcaster is transmitting.

Some channels also have high definition video in the results .mpg/.ts/.dvr-ms file, which the MVP is also not compatible with.

I had assumed that any file saved as .mpg was similar in structure to my analog PVR350 recordings that saved to .mpg. Not being an A/V expert, how was the audio saved from the analog cards? I had assumed the audio stream was embedded into the .mpg file someway and I would have thought the digital recorded .mpg would have been the same too. Why the difference?When you record from a digital device, you get pretty much the original broadcast saved to disk, wrapped up in a small wrapper (.mpg, .ts, or .dvr-ms depending on mux chosen). The video standard and audio encoding is entirely up to the broadcaster.

The MVP can only handle MPEG1/MPEG2 standard definition video, with MPEG1 Layer 2 audio, which is pretty much what you get from old analog cards.

Digital video is broadcaste as MPEG2, but can be standard definition (480i) or high definition (720p/1080i). These channels also often have 5.1 multi-channel AC3 audio. The MVP cannot handle these.

mvallevand
2009-09-22, 09:39 PM
mvpmc can do AC3 by downmix to 2 channel analog or digital pass through but there is no hardware sync. We needed information on how to manipulate the playing speed of audio or video only and I asked Hauppauge for information several times and several times they said they would sent it but never did. This is one reason I have zero confidence in the MVP HD.

Martin