PDA

View Full Version : Switching MVP Servers

ACTCMS
2008-11-21, 11:58 PM
I just put up a second MVP server (for testing stuff). I want to have both MVPs running off the primary server most of the time, but I'd like to switch one MVP over to the test server in the evenings. I normally leave my MVPs in standby when not in use.

I can switch by rebooting the MVP and selecting the server I want from settings, but is there a quicker way of doing that?

Also, I haven't figured out how to set the prefered server either.

Note: just thinking about command line parameters which start with -- brings me out in a cold sweat :eek: so go easy please...

mvallevand
2008-11-22, 12:04 AM
You can try these

1. Connect to the mvpmc web server and enter the new IP address and soft power off and on or

2. From telnet

killall mvpmc
mvpmc --emulate xx.xx.xx.xx --startup emulate &

Setting the preferred server has to be done by using the Hauppauge dongle and newer Hauppauge server software on older MVP's.

Martin

ACTCMS
2008-11-22, 01:22 AM
Thanks Martin - I'll try the web server.

So if I reboot the MVP from the mvpmc menu and the primary server is down, the prefered server won't change?

mvallevand
2008-11-22, 01:46 AM
The Hauppauge preferred server isn't used after a hard boot and is only used for locating dongle.bin.config by mvpmc. If you do specify an IP with --emulate it will try and find it for thirty seconds and won't search others --emulate ? will connect to the first server emulation mode finds.

Martin

ACTCMS
2008-11-22, 02:10 AM
The Hauppauge preferred server isn't used after a hard boot and is only used for locating dongle.bin.config by mvpmc. If you do specify an IP with --emulate it will try and find it for thirty seconds and won't search others --emulate ? will connect to the first server emulation mode finds.

MartinSo I can set all the MVPs to only look for the primary server with dongle.bin.config and then switch the test MVP via the web interface?

Alex

mvallevand
2008-11-22, 02:25 AM
Sure, mvpmc cannot rewrite flash memory or make permanent changes.

Marti

ACTCMS
2008-11-23, 12:34 AM
So I can set all the MVPs to only look for the primary server with dongle.bin.config and then switch the test MVP via the web interface?

AlexMartin, that's working great - thanks.

Alex