PDA

View Full Version : MediaMVP with MVPMC hangs after some time

OrakelJos
2008-12-26, 09:16 PM
I am running GBPVR 1.3.7 on a W2K8 server with 2 MediaMVP's. Due to the well known Vista problems which also apply to W2K8 I switched over to MVPMC (the 30/9/2008 version). This works well and snappy. Problem is however that after some time, which can be anywhere between 10 minutes and 30 minutes, the MediaMVP does not react to any key presses from the remote control. The red light acknowledges the receipt of the IR signal but nothing happens. After switching of the MediaMVP and on again everything works normal. No reboot of the MediaMVP or GBPVR is required.
This problem does not happen with the standard Hauppaugge dongles but with those I have other problems like restarting the GUI etc.
Has anybody an idea what is causing this problem with MVPMC?

mvallevand
2008-12-26, 09:38 PM
Duplicate the problem and compress and upload your GBPVR logs and I will have a look to see if there is anything new. I know there is nothing specific to time, since I can go days on Vista too, but sometimes the remote can just die if you use the remote a lot to navigate in files.

I don't really think it is mvpmc either, the MVP just has lousy networking and a few people have tried to help with client side logs and it looks like mvpmc is working ok. sub and I have spent hours on this too and there is nothing I can change on the client.

The problem is masked a bit with the Hauppauge dongles since they will just crash and return you to the main screen if the connection fails for any reason.

Martin

OrakelJos
2008-12-26, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Attached the log files.

mvallevand
2008-12-26, 10:51 PM
Sorry it is pretty much the same situation I usually see. At 22:42:47 the heartbeat between mvpmc and gbpvr stops so the gui channel gets blocked and no keystrokes are sent. Nothing I've tried to do to the network fixes it.

Martin

ACTCMS
2008-12-26, 11:19 PM
I had a similar problem when I first started to use mvpmc - remote would 'die' after a few minutes. Martin has responded to several threads about this problem citing network problems as the cause, so I changed my MVP's network connection.

It was originally connected to a cheap dumb 100/10 ten port hub. When I connected it to one of the wired ports on a netgear wireless router, the problem disappeared.

I don't know if it was just changing to another port, moving away from the cheap hub or moving to an actual router which did the trick, but it did.

I don't know if you have more than one hub/router you could try, or maybe you could borrow one... it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but might be worth trying.

Alex

OrakelJos
2008-12-27, 11:44 AM
One MediaMVP is connected through a 16 ports Netgear gigabit switch, the other one through a 5 ports Linksys gigabit switch. I have not yet noticed problems on the last MediaMVP but that one is not used very often.
On the first one, the videostream just continues but the MediaMVP does not react to keypresses after a while so it is a one-sided problem.
I will follow your suggestion and connect the first MediaMVP to a 10/100Mb router and see if that makes any difference.

OrakelJos
2009-01-04, 10:08 PM
Changing to a 10/100 Mb router did not solve te problem only delay the time till the MediaMVP lost heart beat. Will be continued......

OrakelJos
2009-01-05, 09:01 PM
Also some TCP/IP tweaks did not solve the problem. If this continues I am forced to go back to W2K3 :mad:

trummel
2009-01-07, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't bet on it being a w2k8 problem as I get the same thing with an MVP connected via a 10/100/1000 switch to an XP server. I have 3 MVP's connected the same way and have only seen it on one of them - it is the most used though. Think I'll swap a couple and see what happens.

mvallevand
2009-01-08, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't bet on it being a w2k8 problem as I get the same thing with an MVP connected via a 10/100/1000 switch to an XP server. I have 3 MVP's connected the same way and have only seen it on one of them - it is the most used though. Think I'll swap a couple and see what happens.

I have to assume he wants to go back because he feels the mvpmc dongle is causing the problem and wants to run with the Hauppauge dongle. He might be right.

Martin

HtV
2009-01-08, 08:49 AM
@ OrakelJos:
Just to be sure (to rule out the cable) I would test with another networkcable.

Hans

OrakelJos
2009-01-10, 11:28 AM
I have to assume he wants to go back because he feels the mvpmc dongle is causing the problem and wants to run with the Hauppauge dongle. He might be right.

Martin

Martin: no, I don't assume mvpmc is the problem. I have also problems with the latest Hauppauge dongle which is supposed Vista "proof". In fact I prefer the mvpmc dongle. It is much snappier.

OrakelJos
2009-01-10, 11:30 AM
@ OrakelJos:
Just to be sure (to rule out the cable) I would test with another networkcable.

Hans

Will try that, but the compete connection has been tested with a cable tester :D
Till november 2008 I was running W2K3 on the same server, same GBPVR configurattion, same network and same MediaMVP's without any problems. I therefore blame the problems to W2K8 (=Vista kernel) and not to the dongles or network.

OrakelJos
2009-01-13, 04:42 PM
Have been very busy to reinstall the server with Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard. Installed the new GBPVR 1.3.11 and configured from scratch.
Did not apply any TCP/IP tweaks except for the number of concurrent connections which I increased from the default 10 to 50.
The server runs GBPVR, MDaemon mailserver (only for private use), some home automation and monitors my telephone, so a lightly loaded configuration. Even my raid is hardware based so does not have an impact on the processor load.
Will try out the behaviour of the dongle (mvpmc20080930) and let you know the results :D

trummel
2009-01-13, 07:59 PM

Swapped them all around, all three lose remote control functionality.

mvallevand
2009-01-13, 10:00 PM
This problem has been reported on XP. The Hauppauge dongle handles error differently, it simple crashes which often reset to the main menu so it can be masked.

Martin

OrakelJos
2009-01-16, 01:18 PM
Had still a crash/freeze (with mvpmc) after going back to Server 2003. Have now returned to the default dongle from Sub, added QoS ( but not yet activated) and gave higher priority to network programs instead of the default file shares. See if this gives any positive result.
In the meantime I have also made a second cable from the gigabit switch to my livingroom as a last resort but not yet used it. First see what the above brings because I don't yet believe it is a hardware problem.
Will be continued............

HtV
2009-01-16, 08:44 PM
In the meantime I have also made a second cable from the gigabit switch to my livingroom as a last resort but not yet used it.

I take it that you made the cable according to the standards, I mean: not just the colored pairs straight to the other end but mixed in the right way.

Hans

mvallevand
2009-01-16, 10:34 PM
If mvpmc crashes, I'd be happy to look at the logs. If it is the remote that stops responding, emulation made is 100% active, video streaming and everything else works as expected from the client perspective, you can even send keystrokes to the tcp network layer. Where they go at that point is the mystery.

Martin

OrakelJos
2009-01-17, 04:14 PM
I take it that you made the cable according to the standards, I mean: not just the colored pairs straight to the other end but mixed in the right way.

Hans

Yes, cable is made up correctly. I have a complete gigabit network in my home and I have a cable tester. Trust me, I know my stuff :D

OrakelJos
2009-01-17, 04:18 PM
If mvpmc crashes, I'd be happy to look at the logs. If it is the remote that stops responding, emulation made is 100% active, video streaming and everything else works as expected from the client perspective, you can even send keystrokes to the tcp network layer. Where they go at that point is the mystery.

Martin

Sorry, is not a crash. Remote stops responding and streaming just continues. After changing priority from services to programs in W2K3 the situation seems to have improved. Have been running the whole afternoon with the standard dongle (not yet the mvpmc) without any problem. Will give it a try for a couple of days and if this remains positive I will revert back to mvpmc.

HtV
2009-01-17, 04:26 PM
Yes, cable is made up correctly. I have a complete gigabit network in my home and I have a cable tester. Trust me, I know my stuff :D

It's not that I didn't trust you, but I've seen it often enough: people saying:"Oh yeah, I've done that lot's of times". They are the same people that say, when something is defect: "That's not possible, it was working yesterday".:D

Anyway good luck with your problem.

cya Hans

OrakelJos
2009-01-18, 11:34 AM
New cable works as well as the old one. Had yesterday evening no problems with the standard(!) dongle except for the fact that while deleting a recording that I just watched, the MediaMVP resets (warm reboot) itself. This happened three times. I will check the logs to see if I can find something unusual.
It seems that changing the priority from services to programs made the largest positive impact on GBPVR and MediaMVP.

Hans: I am using the Fritz!Box 7270 with some of my Dect phones. I can recommend it!

OrakelJos
2009-01-21, 04:36 PM
Had still a restart of the MediaMVP with an older original Hauppauge dongle, version 1.1.41.
Have now set the priority for the MediaMVP higher in config.xml, enabled the advanced performance on my disk drives (yes, I have an UPS :D) and changed to dongle 1.1.47. See what that all brings. I am planning to try out all the dongles up to the most recent version which is 1.1.59 I just found on the Hauppauge FTP site and which is newer than the one included in 34_25345 which is 1.1.58.
As soon as I find a Hauppauge dongle which is abolute stable, I will replace it with the MVPMC dongle. If the MediaMVP again stops to react to the remote control, it is obvious a mvpmc problem.

mvallevand
2009-01-21, 05:14 PM
I strongly believe that of the Hauppauge dongles (non Vista) the best one with GBPVR is the 1.1.47 dongle that sub includes. I think sub tried an "upgrade" in 2007 and it had very negative effects on most users.

Everyone's experience will vary, but my experience is no matter which dongle you use the client will crash.

Martin

OrakelJos
2009-01-21, 10:09 PM
This is what I just got with dongle 1.1.47:

2009-01-21 22:37:40.531 VERBOSE [6] - adding render hash: button-Manual Rec:15,280,158,26:False
2009-01-21 22:37:40.531 VERBOSE [6] - adding render hash: button-Main Menu:15,317,158,26:False
2009-01-21 22:37:40.578 VERBOSE [6] Y/Y2 buffer: 34955 bytes
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 ERROR [6] Unexpected error sending frame: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xcca58d4608994dd8(Po int x557cda7ca079f710, Rectangle x19534874af95b268, Bitmap x84901bd355736ef6, Boolean x484012b92f24af4e)
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 VERBOSE [6] MVP frame sent
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 VERBOSE [6] MVP request processed
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 VERBOSE [6] MVP waiting for data
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 ERROR [6] handleMVPConnection() exception: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
2009-01-21 22:37:40.687 VERBOSE [6] at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.x3d75adb3418c5c9e()
at GBPVRX2.MVP.x3ca133dee7547455.xd3faf5962405de4e()

How can I solve this :mad: ?

OrakelJos
2009-01-23, 10:12 AM
Installed dongle 1.1.59. This dongle is realy superfast in starting. When first starting up PVRX2 on the MediaMVP it rebooted immediately but after that no problems. Will continue to test.
Originaly I was running SBS2003 for 2 years without any problems with the MVP's. In November last year I swiched over to Server 2008 (new install, same machine) and the problems started. In January I then installed/reverted to Server 2003 R2 (new install, same machine) but the problems continued.
Both Server 2008 and 2003R2come standard with Net 2.0 as part of the installation. SBS2003 came without so it was installed with Microsoft update. Is there any chance that there is a difference/problem/incompatibility with the Net 2.0 versions?
To make sure, I have deleted now all Net versions and reinstalled Net 2.0 and 3.0 plus the servicepacks.
If there is a problem it is always when I take an action, i.e. switching in the menu, deleting a recording etc. but never in the middle of viewing a recording (at least with the Hauppauge dongle).
Any suggestions?

OrakelJos
2009-01-27, 10:59 AM
I am keeping problems when opening menu items or deleting recordings so I have decided to reinstall W2K3 R2 again, put only NET 3.5 on it and a previous version (1.2.13) of GBPVR. At least I should than have the same configuration which has worked in the past without problems.
Only difference with the old situation would be that it was previously SBS2003R2 and that certain drivers would be more recent but I assume that this should not have any impact (I hope :D ).

OrakelJos
2009-01-28, 04:04 PM
Reinstalled W2K3 R2 again and made a fresh install of GBPVR 1.2.13 after I installed the NET Client Profile 3.5 (which is a lot smaller than the full blown version) and the C++ from Sub. Had some crashes/problems caused by the fact that the db3 file in the MSI is not correct. It includes only 3 fields on the playback position instead of 5 but found in one of the threads a solution from SUB. Have corrected the database with SQLiteSpy so it should now be o.k. Also added the switch /usepmtimer to the boot.ini file just to be sure that my dual core processor is not giving timing problems. I just rememberd that I had that also activated in my SBS2003R2 setup.
Have not yet noticed any disconnects till now but I am running the server at this moment without firewall and virus protection except for the NAT router and hardware firewall.
Will first see what this brings and then add one by one the missing programs etc.

OrakelJos
2009-02-02, 04:32 PM
Have now upgraded to 1.3.7 but still get sometimes restarts when deleting recordings and some restarts while just viewing a recording. Good news is however that no disconnect errors appear in the logs :D so this is caused by something else.
I tried switching off TCP Segment Offload and Checksum Offload on my Intel Gigabit 82566DC but that did not help. Have now reloaded the dongle (1.59) in both MVP"s with the offcial Hauppauge software because I believe this is the only possibility to assign an IP address in my router to the MVP's. Have set GBPVR service to interact with the desktop but I don't know if this has any effect.

I discovered that after exporting season and recordings from my previous installation 1.2.13 to 1.3.7 (because I did a fresh install) the pre- and postpadding for season recordings is not correctly imported. The value of the postpadding was now in the pre-padding and the post-padding was set at zero.

Martin: I again tried MVPMC (30-9-2008 version) but am still getting the lost keypresses, no disconnects: the keypresses just disappear. Only switching the MVP off and on restores normal functionality. Is there a later version which does not exhibit this problem?

pz1
2009-02-02, 04:52 PM
Martin: I again tried MVPMC (30-9-2008 version) but am still getting the lost keypresses, no disconnects: the keypresses just disappear. Only switching theMessage to Martin MVP off and on restores normal functionality. Is there a later version which does not exhibit this problem?
I to do notice loosing keypresses. I have the impression that if I push more firmly on the Hauppauge remote, I have less losses.
Pieter

mvallevand
2009-02-02, 05:26 PM
The main problem is that during video the remote key messages stop flowing between mvpmc and GBPVR. Repeated tests with client side telnet captures show that mvpmc is seeing the keystrokes and sending it to the tcp socket, but there is blocking going on somewhere. The Hauppauge protocol doesn't allow a method to reopen the socket in this situation or I would do that.

@OrakelJos there is no version of mvpmc that fixes this and I am not going to followup on it. Your comment that the Hauppauge dongle restarting during video play would be exactly what I'd expect when the heartbeat responses stop. You can try some other values on the tcp window with the --em-rtwin command line option, the default is 8192 because some GBPVR users told it worked best. I found a smaller value --em-rtwin 4096 has fewer TCP errors at the expensive of reduced preformance. I have no idea of the impact on the keystroke problem or the best values to try.

Martin

OrakelJos
2009-02-02, 06:23 PM
You are right with your comment to Pieter. I am using a Harmony remote and have the same problem. The MVP receives them but they are just lost on the way to the server.
Will try out your suggestion but if it remains a dead end I will switch over to the NMT A-110. My son just bought it last week and got it working with GBPVR so this is probably the way to go. In The Netherlands they cost 299 vs. $ 215 (= 150) in the US so double the price here :mad:

mvallevand
2009-02-02, 10:29 PM
I feel the pain here in Canada, too. The PCH is about 30% more expensive now then when I first bought mine and we pay international shipping so it does make a tough choice and which is why I don't push it as a solution, even with its technical superiority. However to be fair the A110 is overkill for most GBPVR user's needs and for me it doesn't justify $75 difference from the A100.

Martin

OrakelJos
2009-02-06, 10:33 AM
I have switched off ALL 5 TCP/IP offloading options on my Intel 82566DC Gigabit controller. Since that time (2 days) I have no disconnects :D
Will now enable those options one by one again to see which one is causing the problem. I know that is is not the TCP Segmentation Offload since I tried that one earlier so it must be one of the other 4 remaining. It seems to be a similair problem as some users have reported on the nVidia NIC.
Will be continued.....

OrakelJos
2009-02-10, 09:57 PM
Have updated the Intel 82566DC driver to version 9.12.36 from 4 dec. 2008 which was released a week ago. Offload options are still disabled. No restarts anymore with the Hauppauge AND mvpmc dongles :D
Will continue with this setup for a couple of days and then start to enable the offload options one by one.

OrakelJos
2009-02-26, 03:31 PM
Have enabled the first 3 offline options again: offload receive and transmit IP checksum and receive TCP checksum. Is still working without problems. Will now add "offload Transmit TCP checksum" and see what happens :D

OrakelJos
2009-03-03, 07:48 PM
Enabling Offload Transmit TCP checksum or Offload TCP Segmentation is almost immediately causing connection problems with this particulair Intel network card. So those two settings were the cause of all my problems :mad:
The other three offload settings can remain enabled (see my previous posting).
I hope that other users can benefit from my experience :)
Martin: will order a Popcorn tomorrow :cool:

kimpecov
2009-11-08, 02:02 AM
That fix worked for me and saved me a ton of time troubleshooting. Thanks!