PDA

View Full Version : MVP problems with the new PCH version of GB-PVR

jksmurf
2009-04-19, 01:39 PM
I don't know if this is related but using the MVP after installing this for the PCH appears to make comksip jump all over the place and make the white triangle jump up and down the timeline esp. when I press the blue key :confused:

k.

mvallevand
2009-04-19, 03:21 PM
I don't know if this is related but using the MVP after installing this for the PCH appears to make comksip jump all over the place and make the white triangle jump up and down the timeline esp. when I press the blue key :confused:k.

I just installed an MVP to test and I guess the PCH version of PVRx2 is expecting the PTS timestamp for file positioning. Hopefully sub can fix this, if not, I can probably send it from mvpmc, if the old machine that my compiler is on boots and I can remember how to do it!

Martin

sub
2009-04-19, 04:46 PM
What type of file did you guys try playing? .mpg or .ts?

mvallevand
2009-04-19, 06:07 PM
Mine was a simple analog mpeg, but the PTS message was in the logs and since mvpmc doesn't sent this back the values were not PTS values, log attached.

The file plays fine as long as you don't skip, but the triangle marker on the timeline jumps back and forth to the correct location and likely to the "PTS" value at EOF as it is displayed.

Martin

jksmurf
2009-04-19, 10:45 PM
What type of file did you guys try playing? .mpg or .ts?

Mine's a .mpg
Sorry, thought I had attached logs late last night..

k.

trummel
2009-04-21, 08:20 PM
I'm seeing a similiar problem with .ts files. They ff and rewind fine on the pvrx2 and on PCH2. But the MVP skips straight to the EOF when I hit skip forward.

mvallevand
2009-04-22, 02:30 AM
I have modified mvpmc to send the pts and it cleans up the problem with mpeg-ps display and skipping but mpeg-ts files are still a problem. It's better to wait for a fix from sub.

Martin

jksmurf
2009-04-22, 07:42 AM
I have modified mvpmc to send the pts and it cleans up the problem with mpeg-ps display and skipping but mpeg-ts files are still a problem. It's better to wait for a fix from sub.

Martin

I'm not sure which one of these I use (how can I tell?) but I'd quite like a copy if it's the right one :-). Keep the wife happy while I train her up on the PCH .... (take about 10 mins...)

Ta,

k.

mvallevand
2009-04-22, 05:08 PM
Sorry k, I'm not planning on releasing a dongle with this change in it since there was no improvement playing mpeg-ts files, if anything their behaviour was worse. My dev. environment is now back to NMT mode for a while, when I booted the machine, I noticed it had been 7 months!

Martin

jksmurf
2009-04-23, 12:23 AM
No worries, I'm sure sub has already fixed it, in his head at least :-)

k.

sub
2009-04-23, 12:39 AM
No worries, I'm sure sub has already fixed it, in his head at least :-)I dont have my MVP connected up these days, so it took a while to find enough spare time to find it, dust it off, hook it up. The attached patch should resolve the problem.

mvallevand
2009-04-23, 04:28 AM
I don't see any change with this update.

Martin

sub
2009-04-23, 04:31 AM
Hmm, it should have fixed it. I know exactly what the problem was.

sub
2009-04-23, 04:32 AM
If you've got the fix, you shouldnt see any "Got Media-Progess message" messages in your MVP-pvrx2.exe.log file when playing files.

mvallevand
2009-04-23, 04:36 AM
The program I have

23/04/2009 12:37p 1,052,672 PVRX2.exe

And in my logs plenty of

2009-04-23 00:28:43.163 VERBOSE [6] Got Media-Progess message. PTS now:7000000 time: 155.555555555556 (000000006ddd000000)

Martin

sub
2009-04-23, 04:42 AM
It sounds like your definitely didnt get the fix. I've had another try building it in case I did something wrong when building that previous patch.

You should only get those log messages when your client type is PCH2.

mvallevand
2009-04-23, 05:03 AM
Now that's progess! Work's fine now, but unfortunately ts files to mvpmc don't work any better.

Martin

sub
2009-04-23, 05:08 AM
Now that's progess!Great.

Work's fine now, but unfortunately ts files to mvpmc don't work any better.Thats ok, ts playback on the mvp was never a goal. Getting .mpg skipping working again was more important.

jksmurf
2009-04-23, 06:28 AM
It sounds like your definitely didnt get the fix. I've had another try building it in case I did something wrong when building that previous patch.

You should only get those log messages when your client type is PCH2.

Cool, thank you sub, appreciate that. Will install it tonight.

k.

trummel
2009-04-23, 08:37 AM
Can I ask for some advice on the preferred best supported options?

I record digital only streams in the UK from Freeview and FreeSat. Both SD and HD. I use a combination of MVP's and PCH's for playback. I switched from the Cyberlink mux to the TS-Mux a short while ago. Given the problems playing back .ts on my MVP's, would I be better to go back to using Cyberlink or should I be converting recorded files. Or is there another option that I've missed?

Or I am content to just be patient and wait for a fix?

Thanks

Martyn.

sub
2009-04-23, 04:36 PM
Can I ask for some advice on the preferred best supported options?

I record digital only streams in the UK from Freeview and FreeSat. Both SD and HD. I use a combination of MVP's and PCH's for playback. I switched from the Cyberlink mux to the TS-Mux a short while ago. Given the problems playing back .ts on my MVP's, would I be better to go back to using Cyberlink or should I be converting recorded files. Or is there another option that I've missed?

Or I am content to just be patient and wait for a fix?Freesat H.264 recordings arent going to play on an MVP. It cant handle H.264 or AC3.

Your Freeview recordings should work on the MVP, but you should stick to the Cyberlink mux, since the MVP is only really well suited to .mpg files.

The MVP was great bit of hardware back when everyone was recording analog TV channels. Its now very dated, and a poor match with the various digital tv services available. A PCH is a much better client choice for Freesat.

trummel
2009-04-23, 05:11 PM
Thank Sub,

I didnt expect to be able to play HD on the MVP, I only mentioned HD in case it had a bearing on your recommendations. I'll switch back to the cyberlink mux for now. I only switched away from it because I thought the TS mux was your preferred and more future proof option.

I entirely agree about the suitability of the PCH, but I'm reluctant to ditch my MVP's whilst they continue to provide a good solution for our bedrooms and whilst the UK transmits so little HD content.

Thanks again for your help.

M.

sub
2009-04-23, 05:24 PM
I only switched away from it because I thought the TS mux was your preferred and more future proof option.TS Mux is my preferred mux these days, but if you're using an MVP you need to deal with its limitations, which pretty much means using standard definition and sticking to a .mpg mux.

trummel
2009-04-23, 06:10 PM
Oh OK, I thought Martin had said that the MVP worked OK with with .ts files these days. :-(

mvallevand
2009-04-23, 09:28 PM
No. Since mvpmc natively works quite well with some SD ts files, I hoped that the improvements for the NMT would allow for additional improvements in GBPVR use. The GBPVR servers for the MVP mode and PCH2 mode are sufficiently different that this isn't the case.

Here in North America, ALL digital files are all junk on the MVP because of AC3, it doesn't matter how they are muxed. The advantage to DVR-MS and TS (forgetting LiveTV) is typically they allow transcoding possibility, which the mpeg muxes don't allow.

Martin

trummel
2009-04-23, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the expansion Martin. I understand now.

The PCH is so good with the PCH2 functionality that I'm sure I will soon feel the need to replace the MVP's, particularly where the TV's they are attached to do component.

mvallevand
2009-04-23, 10:10 PM
The PCH is so good with the PCH2 functionality that I'm sure I will soon feel the need to replace the MVP's, particularly where the TV's they are attached to do component.

PCH2 mode is supported on SD TV's the MVP supports too, via svideo or composite, not just component. There might be some SCART NMT's too but I don't support those.

Martin