PDA

View Full Version : New NPVR Wiki

steeb
2010-08-22, 11:57 PM
Dear all,

I actually don't like doing this, because most of the documentation threads seem to start 'steeb'.

But here I go again ;)

We appear to have a solution to a new NPVR wiki that isn't too far away. In the meantime I have re-worked the current GB-PVR wiki homepage to an NPVR homepage here:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

[Edit again just changed the location over to new wiki homepage]

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-24, 06:46 AM
Looks fine.

steeb
2010-08-24, 08:51 AM
Looks fine.

Thanks, will take me a couple of days to get time to tidy it up and add some screenshots then I 'll move it over to proper 'New Wiki'. The only thing I am wondering is would it be better to not refer to screenshots of other skins and just default all screenshots to 'default' skin? i.e. applying the principle that on the homepage the main content is referring to an 'out of the box' installation? Obviously the plugins and skins get referenced to later down the page?

cheers

Steeb

martint123
2010-08-24, 09:11 AM
The only thing I am wondering is would it be better to not refer to screenshots of other skins and just default all screenshots to 'default' skin? i.e. applying the principle that on the homepage the main content is referring to an 'out of the box' installation? Obviously the plugins and skins get referenced to later down the page?

I think you have it right with that - assuming the wiki is a first line of support for NPVR and would attract new users, then "out of the box" is the only way to go really.
Mentioning their availability and maybe linking to some impressive alternative screens would be fine.

steeb
2010-08-24, 12:06 PM
I think you have it right with that - assuming the wiki is a first line of support for NPVR and would attract new users, then "out of the box" is the only way to go really.
Mentioning their availability and maybe linking to some impressive alternative screens would be fine.

Appreciate the comment, yes I have a definite inclination towards this approach now, in the long term the plugins and skins links at the bottom will link to the new plugins and skins main pages, which hopefully will have a nice 'eye candy' look to them!

will take few days for me to get around to actually implementing this new homepage page so any other comments welcome, and anyway being a wiki it can always be changed at any time :-)

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-24, 02:44 PM
Just changed the link given in 1st post over to sandbox on new wiki and made some alterations, I 'think' it is a little more concise and clearer :-) All comments most appreciated

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-24, 04:30 PM
It is the successor to the free and popular Windows based Media Centre GB-PVR software....(The Hauppauge MediaMVP was fully supported under GB-PVR but now has limited support with NPVR).
Even though this line might be useful and is very concise, I don't think Sub wants any mention of GB-PVR on the NPVR wiki. A 'Migration to NPVR' page on the GB-PVR wiki may be the best place for this kind of thing.

Welcome to the future, NOW....The free Windows based home and away PVR system is here.
Not sure about this marketing guff, the next line says it all and is factual

enhancement of your NPVR experience is available through Plugins, Skins and Utilities, is in the hands of the Community and both actively created and supported.English is a bit off here. Suggest: "enhancement of your NPVR experience through Plugins, Skins and Utilities are in the hands of the Community and is both actively developed and supported."

steeb
2010-08-24, 04:49 PM
Even though this line might be useful and is very concise, I don't think Sub wants any mention of GB-PVR on the NPVR wiki. A 'Migration to NPVR' page on the GB-PVR wiki may be the best place for this kind of thing.

Not sure about this marketing guff, the next line says it all and is factual

English is a bit off here. Suggest: "enhancement of your NPVR experience through Plugins, Skins and Utilities are in the hands of the Community and is both actively developed and supported."

I'm good with all of this.

Remove the 2 x GB-PVR comments?
Get rid of the guff, I did wonder about this bit :-)
Yes the english is off, funny thing was I just changed it from:

...Plugins, Skins and Utilities and is in the hands of the Community and is both actively created and supported.

Which didn't feel right either!

I know now what it is. Using enhancement would really dictate it to say 'IS' because of the singular. For 'ARE' it should be paired with 'enhancements' plural.

How about:

Though the software is developed by Sub (forum name), enhancements to your NPVR experience are available through Plugins, Skins and Utilities. These are in the hands of the Community and actively created and supported.

Changed sub's development to present tense rather than past? Broke up sentence that was a bit wordy?

any good?

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-24, 05:09 PM
Looks find. Have a gold star :)

steeb
2010-08-24, 05:16 PM
Looks find. Have a gold star :)

He he thank you Sir!

I'll make those amendments, probably a few days until I put it up there as I haven't got around to getting the screenshots yet.

Or it could go up quicker with the image blanks for tweaking after, it goes against my nature to put an incomplete page up but as this is a new wiki?

I'll leave for a day anyway.

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-24, 08:21 PM
I always try to work on the live page. It is a wiki after all.

steeb
2010-08-25, 12:22 PM
Dear all,

tweaked again! Couldn't help it :D

Though I love the wiki I think the explanation of what it is/does etc should be as succint as possible on the main homepage to get on with the real business about NPVR!

So have separated out wiki thing straight to top, and then straight into NPVR stuff which has enabled me to get rid of a bit more repitition etc.

Link still same as first post or here for ease:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.WikiSandbox

Better? Worse? If any good I will then bump it to New Wiki Homepage and get screenshots in later.

Cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-25, 12:55 PM
Looks good.

steeb
2010-08-27, 09:17 PM
Dear all,

new wiki homepage is now here:

also edited link on 1st post.

(I'll add screengrabs next week)

New wiki is beginning to take shape, have a look!

cheers

Steeb

Reddwarf
2010-08-27, 10:24 PM
Great work! :)

But I think you can change "and supported by one of the best communities on the net." to "and supported by the best communities on the net!" :D

Looking forward to see it complete.

steeb
2010-08-27, 10:58 PM
Great work! :)

But I think you can change "and supported by one of the best communities on the net." to "and supported by the best communities on the net!" :D

Looking forward to see it complete.

Thanks Reddwarf, really appreciate the input.

Funny you say that, I was thinking about this exact comment the other day, we used to have an advert in the UK for Carlsberg beer, 'Probably the best lager in the world' was their slogan, I was thinking of nicking that and saying:

"...and supported by probably the best community on the net"

What do you think?

Of course it could never be 'complete', Sub works too hard at adding all those 'extra' features and all the dev's with their enhancements........ :D

cheers

Steeb

sub
2010-08-28, 12:31 AM
It looks like a great start - good job.

Reddwarf
2010-08-28, 11:39 AM
Thanks Reddwarf, really appreciate the input.

Funny you say that, I was thinking about this exact comment the other day, we used to have an advert in the UK for Carlsberg beer, 'Probably the best lager in the world' was their slogan, I was thinking of nicking that and saying:

"...and supported by probably the best community on the net"

What do you think?

Of course it could never be 'complete', Sub works too hard at adding all those 'extra' features and all the dev's with their enhancements........ :D

cheers

Steeb

In my mind, there can be no doubt at all that this forum is THE BEST on this planet :D

whurlston
2010-08-29, 04:49 AM
Is that the official logo for NPVR now?

McBainUK
2010-08-29, 06:27 AM
No, it's just an temporary placeholder image created by Hairy.

whurlston
2010-08-29, 08:52 PM
Ah, I thought maybe I was missing too much on the forum lately. :D

steeb
2010-08-31, 12:27 AM
Ah, I thought maybe I was missing too much on the forum lately. :D

Nothing missed, just wiki trying to catch up :D

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-31, 09:07 PM
In my mind, there can be no doubt at all that this forum is THE BEST on this planet :D

Reddwarf,

had another look, how about this (now changed it)

Developed by one person and supported by the friendliest community on the internet.
Any good?

Steeb

Reddwarf
2010-08-31, 11:13 PM
That's good :)

steeb
2010-08-31, 11:23 PM
That's good :)

Nice, I think that does sum it up :-)

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated.

Steeb

Reddwarf
2010-08-31, 11:25 PM
Just noticed: There should be a donation link at the bottom of the home page (at least). Can you fix that?

steeb
2010-09-01, 12:00 AM
Just noticed: There should be a donation link at the bottom of the home page (at least). Can you fix that?

Nicely spotted Sir!

there's some server-side stuff that has to be done by Sub. McBain and Sub's goodself are I believe sorting this, this wiki hasn't been officially 'launched' yet.

As you've noted (and top marks for being eagle eyed :) ) on launch there should be the donate link at bottom of main page and in sidebar. Guessing google ads will make a return too!

best

Steeb

Reddwarf
2010-09-01, 12:36 AM
Thanks! I recon' this will be fixed by launch.

Jaggy
2010-09-07, 11:18 PM
Does the download counter work on the new wiki??

steeb
2010-09-07, 11:33 PM
Hi Jaggy,

download manager has been installed on new wiki which will give the download counter, not certain it is working yet, we're waiting on a new upload to sub's server in the next few days with a few more tweaks and enhancements to the new wiki.

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-09-08, 08:28 AM
Something's going wrong with the download manager recipe. I've modified the skin pages to include a counter, can someone have a go at downloading the skins and see if the count gets updated with each download?

7ore
2010-09-08, 08:49 AM
yepp, the skins count was OK. Tried two browsers to be sure (FF and Chrome).

mvallevand
2010-09-28, 01:38 AM
Sub hasn't indicated that he was going to add support for skipping in LiveTV on the NMT or MVP so I think we have lost this.
Martin

This is what I stuck on the homepage of the new wiki:

NPVR features support for PC Clients using the full user interface and also works with Networked Media Tank (NMT) 'thin clients' such as the Popcorn Hour.

From what you're saying then 'works' is probably the right word, as in 'works' sort of? I still don't believe this. No pause or skip on NMT? Back to the 'dumb' client era? Clarification needed.......

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-15, 11:17 PM
Just attached pic of NEWA to new wiki homepage. Doesn't look right, in fact rubbish. I use RT listings with long rambling statements. Been thinking about how best to get a screenshot of NEWA! We all know what it does and how it looks in a browser, how best to show that off with a single screenshot?

About 2/3rds way down

Cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-17, 07:12 PM
Taking the liberty of a bump :D

My screenshot of NEWA just doesn't show off its brilliance. I would prefer to have some screenshot here as opposed to nothing. I looked into trying to find a way to have a scrollable frame within a pmwiki page (thought that may demonstrate it better) but no dice. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-10-18, 08:01 AM
Link to the NEWA page with more screenshots?

steeb
2010-10-19, 11:44 PM
Just mashed a page for Main Menu KeyboardRef etc, only 'cos I couldn't remember the toggle for FS/Windowed!

[Edit] Less of a mash now, under Common Keyboard Ref i.e. shared by all N-PVR Screens [EndEdit]

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=KeyboardReference.KeyboardReference

There must be more needed? What is the RC command (or none yet?)

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-20, 12:40 AM
Just mashed a page for Main Menu KeyboardRef etc, only 'cos I couldn't remember the toggle for FS/Windowed!

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=KeyboardReference.MainMenu

There must be more needed? What is the RC command (or none yet?)

SteebI'm not sure about 'Main Menu' since Alt/Enter works irrespective of which 'Screen/View' is being displayed. Maybe 'General' or 'Windows Command' or just 'Command' or something like that...

pedantic elf

steeb
2010-10-20, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure about 'Main Menu' since Alt/Enter works irrespective of which 'Screen/View' is being displayed. Maybe 'General' or 'Windows Command' or just 'Command' or something like that...

pedantic elf

Hmmm yes, good point! Still hmmm.....

And hmmmm.....

More hmmm...

Going with your 'General' how about 'Common Commands'? As a catch all for all commonly referred to Keyboard stuff? Also beginning with 'C' think this would drive it to the top of any list naturally?

Comments :D

ACTCMS
2010-10-20, 01:17 AM
Going with your 'General' how about 'Common Commands'? As a catch all for all commonly referred to Keyboard stuff? Also beginning with 'C' think this would drive it to the top of any list naturally?

Comments :Dor maybe just go with 'Common' - we already know that they are commands ;)

steeb
2010-10-20, 01:24 AM
or maybe just go with 'Common' - we already know that they are commands ;)

Signed out for the night then caught this as I sipped my last bit of Horlicks!

Well yes, commands they are, and being in the Keyboard/RC section I would hope they made sense :D

So that sounds viable? Common

I like this, makes much more sense than my Main Menu thing (but that was a quick mash)

I'll try that tomorrow, anyway is a wiki (everything is changeable) just nice to get this stuff up there for now

Thank you as usual elfish one

steeb
2010-10-20, 01:43 AM
Damn,

got my mind going so boiled the kettle again. Mrs Steeb keeps telling me Horlicks is good for sleep! (I haven't found that yet)

deleted page .....MainMenu

created page Common

General link to Keyboard Shortcuts

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=KeyboardReference.KeyboardReference

actual link to page holding info

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=KeyboardReference.Common

Any help with shortcuts to this most appreciated. (Last thing I read about was 'Home' key would bring up top left Nav menu in N-PVR but then is that common if in Main Menu?)

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-21, 11:18 PM
Dear all,

given things like this:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48310-AutoRemoveMissingRecordings-setting-does-not-work

would it be a good idea to have a breakdown of the config.xml on the new wiki i.e. what each function does? I know for the normal user a word of caution is 'don't play with it', but most of us have, haven't we? Would it be a good thing to know what the config.xml contained (apart from the obvious?)

Cheers

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-21, 11:55 PM
Dear all,

given things like this:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48310-AutoRemoveMissingRecordings-setting-does-not-work

would it be a good idea to have a breakdown of the config.xml on the new wiki i.e. what each function does? I know for the normal user a word of caution is 'don't play with it', but most of us have, haven't we? Would it be a good thing to know what the config.xml contained (apart from the obvious?)

Cheers

SteebI'd be happy to see a section on the wiki which documented config.xml. It would be very useful for experienced users, but it would obviously need a big red "tamper with these settings at your own risk' disclaimer to discourage the less savvy.

Be careful though - I doubt that setting it up and maintaining it would be a trival task... :D

steeb
2010-10-22, 12:11 AM
I'd be happy to see a section on the wiki which documented config.xml. It would be very useful for experienced users, but it would obviously need a big red "tamper with these settings at your own risk' disclaimer to discourage the less savvy.

Be careful though - I doubt that setting it up and maintaining it would be a trival task... :D

As always heeded words from the wise!

It certainly wouldn't be something I'd be rushing into now anyway as there is still much to be done of more importance. Just something for the 'back burner' in my mind.

It would of course have 'do not tamper with' all over in big stamp (probably text red somewhere).

Having said that Sub has built in much 'fail safe' into NPVR. You can actually delete config.xml and run NPVR and rather than throw a 'wobbly' windows error it treats it like a 'first time' install and brings up the settings screen. (After thought - Shouldn't there at least be a utility to back up the config.xml before editing?) Is there one? Hmmm my first program???

As for last bit as far as I can make out from the way that Sub has designed NPVR the config.xml should never grow to the size that the GB-PVR one did? Maybe I've got that wrong?

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-22, 12:41 AM
...(After thought - Shouldn't there at least be a utility to back up the config.xml before editing?) Is there one? Hmmm my first program???

As for last bit as far as I can make out from the way that Sub has designed NPVR the config.xml should never grow to the size that the GB-PVR one did? Maybe I've got that wrong?

SteebIt's not a bad idea to backup config.xml and npvr.db3 along with any dbs/configs belonging to installed plugins on a daily basis... I usually backup config if I'm going to tamper with something I'm not sure of as well... A sample .bat file and suggestions as to how to use it might be another task for the back burner...

I can't see the nPVR config ever getting near the size of the GBPVR config...

steeb
2010-10-22, 12:50 AM
It's not a bad idea to backup config.xml and npvr.db3 along with any dbs/configs belonging to installed plugins on a daily basis... I usually backup config if I'm going to tamper with something I'm not sure of as well... A sample .bat file and suggestions as to how to use it might be another task for the back burner...

I can't see the nPVR config ever getting near the size of the GBPVR config...

Yes with you here.

As you know my limitations end before even making a .bat but guess I can have a blast anyway seeing if I can cook something up! I usually 'back up' but every now and then I have been caught out :D

I thought I'd read somewhere that NPVR was backing up both .db and config.xml daily anyway or did I read that wrong? I can't find evidence of this in my NPVR folders?

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-22, 01:33 AM
Yes with you here.

As you know my limitations end before even making a .bat but guess I can have a blast anyway seeing if I can cook something up! I usually 'back up' but every now and then I have been caught out :D

I thought I'd read somewhere that NPVR was backing up both .db and config.xml daily anyway or did I read that wrong? I can't find evidence of this in my NPVR folders?

SteebThere is a lot of stuff on the web about batch files . I'm sure there are plenty member of the community who would be pleased to help...

AFAIK - nPVR backs up recordings and recurring recordings data on a three set cycle...

ShiningDragon
2010-10-28, 11:55 AM
Hiho. :)

As we look into subs progress in developing nPVR and adding a lot of new features and options, i see a big lack of documentation. At least for the config.xml with it's switches and functions.

I would offer myself to document a few settings, that i know, but my english is far not good enough to do this (in best case i could offer a german translation).

Would someone take this load of work on it's shoulders? The situation we had with gb-pvr before was not the best, but most people knew a lot of settings from the config.xml (but just not all settings).

What do you think?

imilne
2010-10-28, 12:09 PM
Looks like there's a page for it (http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.Advanced) but no content yet. I'm willing to make a start on it if no one minds? I'm sure sub will be needed to fill in some gaps, but the rest of us should be able to make pretty good progress with most of it.

McBainUK
2010-10-28, 12:12 PM
Beaten to it: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?p=392413#post392413 :)

Instead of documenting every tag in the config.xml file a more sensible approach might be to only document those that reasonably could be edited by a user. Not sure how much sense there is documenting the tags that are edited by the settings dialog.

ShiningDragon
2010-10-28, 12:16 PM
Upps, didn't saw this request before. But even if not all tags could be modified by the user, i think it is a good idea to understand the config.xml fully and explain every tag. At least for the main program. The pluginsection could be overwied a little, but in most cases the plugin developer documents their settings themselfes.

I will move this thread to the other one. Doublethreads schouldn't be.

EDIT *moved together*

imilne
2010-10-28, 12:18 PM
Yeah, for any settings handled by the GUI it's probably best to just mention which part(s) of the GUI change/set them.

steeb
2010-10-30, 12:03 AM
Wow imilne you've been busy ;)

McBain could

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.Advanced

be flagged somehow in sidebar (bold or slightly different colour just to show this is kind of different?)

Advanced (config.xml)

or

Advanced (config.xml)

etc

imilne can I have a play with this too to see if I can reduce the page of contents to headings with clickable sub headings?

Steeb

Fatman_do
2010-10-30, 12:44 AM
Nice work on this.

steeb
2010-10-30, 12:58 AM
Nice work on this.

As you well know all comments on wiki always warmly accepted, especially from Mr Wiki Magic :D

I think what is great about this is that new wiki has been created in current form (which has most things in place) before NPVR has come out of beta, so a symbiotic thing going on there!

Once again though big acknowledgment to McBainUK for pulling this together.

Steeb

imilne
2010-10-30, 08:40 AM
Wow imilne you've been busy ;)
Sitting around the house keeping half an eye on the newborn leaves a surprising amount of free time (in between feeds and changes, etc). He's still a bit too small to fit his car seat (although up to 4.5lbs now from a birth-weight of just over 2.5lbs) so we can't really go anywhere either.

imilne can I have a play with this too to see if I can reduce the page of contents to headings with clickable sub headings

Yeah, maybe something that just showed the top-level headings of the XML would be better (General, Recording, Playback, and so on). I'll leave it up to you to decide before doing anymore though.

Iain

steeb
2010-10-30, 10:35 AM
Sitting around the house keeping half an eye on the newborn leaves a surprising amount of free time (in between feeds and changes, etc). He's still a bit too small to fit his car seat (although up to 4.5lbs now from a birth-weight of just over 2.5lbs) so we can't really go anywhere either.

Great to hear latest on wee imilne :D

Yeah, maybe something that just showed the top-level headings of the XML would be better (General, Recording, Playback, and so on). I'll leave it up to you to decide before doing anymore though.

Iain

Yeah exactly what I was wondering/thinking top level headings with 'sub level' entries. Don't let this stop you from doing any more :eek: It wouldn't change anything you've done, great work and if you happen to be 'on a roll' ;)

Steeb

imilne
2010-10-30, 01:25 PM
Yeah exactly what I was wondering/thinking top level headings with 'sub level' entries. Don't let this stop you from doing any more :eek: It wouldn't change anything you've done, great work and if you happen to be 'on a roll' ;)

That's pretty much everything in now; it just needs all the blanks filled in. I know a few of the settings I've not yet completed, so I'll go back and do them at some point, but I know nothing about the MVP or HDPVR bits, so someone else will need to tackle them.

Iain

steeb
2010-10-30, 11:37 PM
That's pretty much everything in now; it just needs all the blanks filled in. I know a few of the settings I've not yet completed, so I'll go back and do them at some point, but I know nothing about the MVP or HDPVR bits, so someone else will need to tackle them.

Iain

1st of all humphy dumphy, I 1st wrote a reply to this 7 hours ago, when I hit send I was 'timed out' with my login, logged in but my post was lost :mad: Does this happen to anyone else?

Steeb

imilne
2010-10-31, 10:52 AM
There was nothing even remotely humphy intended in what I wrote, it was all just statement of fact. I saw your original post before I was finished (in the morning), then posted that message once I was (in the afternoon). I basically meant it was done, so you could fiddle with the headings/toc to your heart's content...

Iain

Reddwarf
2010-10-31, 11:19 AM
... I was 'timed out' with my login, logged in but my post was lost :mad: Does this happen to anyone else?

Steeb

Yep, happend to me a lot. I can reply to a post in one thread and when I try to reply to another thread it tells me I'm timed out. So every time I'v typed a lot I mark the text and copy it to the clipboard just in case I have to log out and in again. (For the inexperienced: ctrl-a -> ctrl-c and if I have to log back in it's ctrl-v to paste the text in again)

steeb
2010-10-31, 12:39 PM
There was nothing even remotely humphy intended in what I wrote, it was all just statement of fact. I saw your original post before I was finished (in the morning), then posted that message once I was (in the afternoon). I basically meant it was done, so you could fiddle with the headings/toc to your heart's content...

Iain

Iain,

so sorry, completely one of my cr*p posts, I was not referring to your post at all, I don't know why I quoted it in mine,
(in my head I was saying 'I tried to reply to this earlier but got timed out, annoying')

I know there was nothing humphy in your post, I was simply referring to my annoyance at being timed out of my session. Complete mis-understanding (created by me!)

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-31, 12:43 PM
Yep, happend to me a lot. I can reply to a post in one thread and when I try to reply to another thread it tells me I'm timed out. So every time I'v typed a lot I mark the text and copy it to the clipboard just in case I have to log out and in again. (For the inexperienced: ctrl-a -> ctrl-c and if I have to log back in it's ctrl-v to paste the text in again)

Yup,

some time ago I was doing this but actually copying into notepad! But it didn't seem to happen for a while so I stopped doing that. Maybe I was writing shorter posts recently :D

At least I know it is not just me that gets timed out ;)

Steeb

imilne
2010-10-31, 01:02 PM
Complete mis-understanding (created by me!)

No worries. I've never had the timeout problem, using Firefox with cookies allowed to be saved (as an exception for this site).

Iain

Reddwarf
2010-10-31, 04:08 PM
No worries. I've never had the timeout problem, using Firefox with cookies allowed to be saved (as an exception for this site).

Iain

That's exactly the same I'm using. I can be away from the computer for 12 or more hours, come back and reply to a couple of threads and all the sudden I'm timed out. Does not make sense at all.

imilne
2010-10-31, 06:52 PM
I've a suggestion for sub (if he's reading) now that the new wiki is making good progress. How about throwing a "Help" button into the Settings dialog, that takes you to the appropriate page of the wiki for the tab you're currently viewing (General, Devices, Channels, etc). You could even add some sort of callback for the plugins that would allow them to provide the wiki page to go to if it was clicked while viewing their settings. If that's all too much work for now, even just a button that took you to http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.Configuration would do as a start.

Iain

steeb
2010-11-03, 01:12 AM
Dear all,

finally finished NPVR homepage with completed screenshots and donation link etc:

I think what I've done actually looks really boring and awful and does no justice to NPVR?

Any comments as usual welcome, there are a few reasons I've done what I did there but not going to say yet in case I was wrong or a good workaround could be had!

Let imagination go wild.

I have noted some comments from before and they are still 'in the mix'

And now that new wiki looks set to go would it be a good idea to close this thread and have an official NPVR Wiki thread?

all the best

Steeb

sub
2010-11-03, 01:22 AM
The most obvious thing to me is how big the screenshots are. Its one of the few pages I've come across where I have to scroll horizontally and vertically to see the whole page. I think they need to be smaller, or link to bigger pictures or something.

ShiningDragon
2010-11-03, 01:28 AM
Just took another look to your wiki. I like it! It's more cleaner than the gb-pvr one before. I don't think, that the pictures are too big. But i am browsing here with an 1920x1200er display solution. It could be more content *smile*, but the way looks very good.

Jaggy
2010-11-03, 01:35 AM
The most obvious thing to me is how big the screenshots are. Its one of the few pages I've come across where I have to scroll horizontally and vertically to see the whole page. I think they need to be smaller, or link to bigger pictures or something.

There is something odd going on with it as I would say the exact opposite viewing on a 1024x768 CRT screen with FireFox most of the pictures are so small you can't really see what they are showing & there is no scrolling sideways at all?????

ACTCMS
2010-11-03, 01:38 AM
The most obvious thing to me is how big the screenshots are. Its one of the few pages I've come across where I have to scroll horizontally and vertically to see the whole page. I think they need to be smaller, or link to bigger pictures or something.I had a problem with the home page being too wide on a 1280x800 screen using IE - I had to update to 8.0 to fix it.

steeb

Great start. Now what are you using to view this (browser etc?) There will always be vertical scroll but there should be no horizontal one?

Steeb

ShiningDragon
Perhaps this one could help (no, i don't have any idea of html):
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gbpvr.com%2Fnwiki%2Fpmw iki.php%3Fn%3DMain.HomePage&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

The aspect ratio of live tv preview picture on the wiki is not really ideal:
http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/uploads/Main/HomePageLiveTV.jpg
versus
http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/uploads/Main/HomePageLiveTVPause.jpg

steeb
2010-11-03, 01:40 AM
Just took another look to your wiki. I like it! It's more cleaner than the gb-pvr one before. I don't think, that the pictures are too big. But i am browsing here with an 1920x1200er display solution. It could be more content *smile*, but the way looks very good.

Thanks for input, so maybe established that larger resolutions are handling this better?

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-03, 01:42 AM
There is something odd going on with it as I would say the exact opposite viewing on a 1024x768 CRT screen with FireFox most of the pictures are so small you can't really see what they are showing & there is no scrolling sideways at all?????

Superb, this is in the coding of pmwiki, now we may be getting somewhere!

thanks

Steeb

ShiningDragon
2010-11-03, 01:42 AM
Thanks for input, so maybe established that larger resolutions are handling this better?
Yes, i can see the whole site, with just one scrollbar (up/down). All other informations are comfortable to view (IE 8.0, no compabilitymode enabled).

steeb
2010-11-03, 01:49 AM
I had a problem with the home page being too wide on a 1280x800 screen using IE - I had to update to 8.0 to fix it.

Alex, can I be blunt? I think I stated somewhere else that trying to get pmwiki pages to behave across the browser smorgasboard is difficult enough anyway, I set a target of IE8 compatibility, near as yet to latest v's of FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari. (apart from Chrome and outside of IE most other browsers should handle in the same manner) Is that unfair? The more browser compatibility for IE7 and IE6 the less easy to accommodate. Is that me being difficult, if so tell me :D

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-03, 01:56 AM
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gbpvr.com%2Fnwiki%2Fpmw iki.php%3Fn%3DMain.HomePage&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

versus

Yup, I had a problem with some of this stuff, means going away to twiddle!

Please let comments flood in, this is now my mission! To make the NPVR wiki homepage 'the best'

many cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-03, 02:10 AM
I may close this thread and start a new thread for NPVR Wiki instead of New NPVR Wiki because now much has been done and moved on from New NPVR Wiki, I think now there is just NPVR Wiki. Seem OK?

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-03, 02:22 AM

versus

Shining Dragon, what browser are you using? To get those screenshots is that a right click on image download thing or something else?

Steeb

ShiningDragon
2010-11-03, 02:27 AM
I am using the Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0. No, this is the good old way.
- rightclick on a picture
- properties
- copy and paste the "adress (url)"

^^

steeb
2010-11-03, 02:32 AM
I am using the Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0. No, this is good old handjob.
- rightclick on a picture
- properties
- copy and paste the "adress (url)"

^^

Nice, thanks for input. I'm going to move this over to new thread! Not sure if you should say 'handjob' :D

But I see some of the problem here now.

Steeb

ShiningDragon
2010-11-03, 02:36 AM
Not sure if you should say 'handjob' :D

handjob, blowjob... ehhm... i didn't mean something like that. XD

sub
2010-11-03, 02:42 AM
There is something odd going on with it as I would say the exact opposite viewing on a 1024x768 CRT screen with FireFox most of the pictures are so small you can't really see what they are showing & there is no scrolling sideways at all?????I'm running IE9, on a machine with a desktop resolution of 1920x1200.

I usually dont run with my browser maximised to fill the screen, but even when I do I cant see the whole width of the page. See screenshot. Look how big those pictures are compared to the scrollbars and browser titlebar etc.

steeb
2010-11-03, 02:49 AM
I'm running IE9, on a machine with a desktop resolution of 1920x1200.

I usually dont run with my browser maximised to fill the screen, but even when I do I cant see the whole width of the page. See screenshot. Look how big those pictures are compared to the scrollbars and browser titlebar etc.

Nice, thanks Sub, definitely something not right here, I kept batting on about IE8 but IE9 brings more unto the mix!

Moved this over to here now:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48419-NPVR-Homepage

still thinking of closing this thread to try and keep new wiki, NEW WIKI!

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-03, 02:53 AM
I'm running IE9, on a machine with a desktop resolution of 1920x1200.

Having said that, apart from the horizontal scrolling and the fact that the text is not sizing in the same way as the pictures I think that looks quite good?

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-11-03, 06:59 PM
Alex, can I be blunt? I think I stated somewhere else that trying to get pmwiki pages to behave across the browser smorgasboard is difficult enough anyway, I set a target of IE8 compatibility, near as yet to latest v's of FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari. (apart from Chrome and outside of IE most other browsers should handle in the same manner) Is that unfair? The more browser compatibility for IE7 and IE6 the less easy to accommodate. Is that me being difficult, if so tell me :D

SteebNo problem - I wasn't complaining, just letting others know how I got around the problem... ;)

steeb
2010-11-03, 08:20 PM
No problem - I wasn't complaining, just letting others know how I got around the problem... ;)

No Sir, I didn't think you were! (you never do, hence why top wiki elf :D ) 'twas probably another of my badly worded posts. IE6 & 7 often misbehave so don't really like to include them in the mix but this has got me thinking...... what I'm not sure yet ;)

Steeb

Wakalaka
2011-04-21, 05:54 AM
Where does NPVR store its config data? I don't see an XML file in my NPVR folder.
Found it in C:\Users\Public\NPVR

McBainUK
2011-04-21, 07:12 AM
Where does NPVR store its config data? I don't see an XML file in my NPVR folder.
The config.xml file and db file are in the data directory: http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=QuickStart.InstalledParts