PDA

View Full Version : Become a Documentation Author (Wiki account request)

McBainUK
2010-08-24, 12:42 PM
Post below and one of the Wiki Admins will contact you regarding creating an account for the NPVR Wiki (http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/).

Thanks.

Northpole
2010-08-28, 01:21 PM
I guess I'll venture onto this thead and be the first to post.

I'd like to put my NextBlue skin on the new npvr wiki.

Thanks

McBainUK
2010-08-28, 02:16 PM
PM sent

imilne
2010-08-28, 06:21 PM
I'll jump in too...

McBainUK
2010-08-28, 09:04 PM
PM sent.

7ore
2010-09-21, 06:52 AM
I am almost done with my skin, so I could use an account as well.

McBainUK
2010-09-21, 08:43 AM
PM sent.

scb147
2010-09-28, 04:21 PM
Please hook me up with an account, thanks.

McBainUK
2010-09-28, 04:28 PM
PM sent.

Fatman_do
2010-10-11, 11:48 PM
Do I need new credentials for this wiki vs the GB-PVR one? It seems so.

steeb
2010-10-12, 12:07 AM
Do I need new credentials for this wiki vs the GB-PVR one? It seems so.

Yes new author accounts do need to be created for the new wiki. I have sent you a PM.

The Hooded Thing
2010-10-25, 02:15 AM
Please add me to the documentation crew - at least, I should be able to rid the front page of the wiki of the greengrocer's apostrophes.

steeb
2010-10-25, 03:18 AM
Please add me to the documentation crew - at least, I should be able to rid the front page of the wiki of the greengrocer's apostrophes.

With a quick glance I did note one greengrocer's slip. There will be more no doubt :D

Account names for new wiki does not like spaces in the name

'The Hooded Thing' is not liked

The_Hooded_Thing etc would work......

What would you like?

Cheers

Steeb

johnsonx42
2010-10-25, 04:15 AM
Please forgive me for perhaps an indelicate question, but who is The Hooded Thing? Does someone know what's under the hood, as it were, outside of the forum? He joined the forum today, and his one post is, well, rather a bit brash if technically correct. When I saw the post earlier I was about ready to perma-ban for impertinence.

steeb
2010-10-25, 10:42 AM
Please forgive me for perhaps an indelicate question, but who is The Hooded Thing? Does someone know what's under the hood, as it were, outside of the forum? He joined the forum today, and his one post is, well, rather a bit brash if technically correct. When I saw the post earlier I was about ready to perma-ban for impertinence.

Definitely brash for a 1st poster :D In fact more than brash! The brashiest! I did wonder all of these things myself. However in the community spirit I didn't really know what to do ;)

Steeb

zehd
2010-10-26, 05:09 PM
Well I learned a new term :)

And I thought all the time, my insistance on having the apostrophes in the right place, was pedantic... Now is there a term for excessive use of, comma's, or elipseses...

mvallevand
2010-10-26, 09:29 PM
Well I learned a new term :)

And I thought all the time, my insistance on having the apostrophes in the right place, was pedantic... Now is there a term for excessive use of, comma's, or elipseses...

Zehd I like your clever use in the example too.

Martin

ACTCMS
2010-10-27, 01:43 AM
I have a fairly simple view of the apostrophe based on first principals which works for me.

They represent one or more letters which are omitted in written language in order to reflect the flow and rythm of spoken english. One major area of use does concern plurality/possesion.

It's orange - It is orange (in colour) -or- Its orange - the orange belonging to It (whatever It is)
Kings College - the College named after [The|Mr] King -or- Kings' College - Kingses College (the College named after [more than one|a family named] King or Mr Kings)

Whenever the letter "s" appears at the end of a word (with or without an apostrophe), the context of the sentence will tell if an apostrophe is needed or not...

Pedantry doesn't need to be difficult...:D

The Hooded Thing
2010-10-27, 07:49 AM
The_Hooded_Thing etc would work......

Steeb

Indeed it would.

The Hooded Thing
2010-10-27, 07:51 AM
I have a fairly simple view of the apostrophe based on first principals which works for me.

That would be "first principles." Any documentation crew needs a grammar Nazi, and, upon thoughtful self-contemplation, I think I'm one. :)

McBainUK
2010-10-27, 01:14 PM
Please add me to the documentation crew
PM sent.

ACTCMS
2010-10-27, 02:25 PM
That would be "first principles." And that would be absolutely correct. The misspelling was simply to check whether you were paying attention or not... :D

steeb
2010-10-28, 12:56 AM
Hats off to The Hooded Thing (or is that Hat's off ;) )

You went in and changed some stuff, for the better!

WHO ARE YOU? :D

Very pleased to have you on 'the crew'

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-28, 01:31 AM
I for one share johnsonx42's concern over ensuring there is some kind of security over "trusted" sites like the wiki, although banning someone who could be a long-time lurker would be outrageous. What is the protection over the binaries and installers that are available through the wiki?

Martin

steeb
2010-10-28, 01:52 AM
I for one share johnsonx42's concern over ensuring there is some kind of security over "trusted" sites like the wiki, although banning someone who could be a long-time lurker would be outrageous. What is the protection over the binaries and installers that are available through the wiki?

Martin

I too was concerned about an entirely new user to this forum requesting access to the wiki. Hence why immediate authorship was not granted. (until discussion by wiki admin off forum). In the spirit of the community it would have been difficult to not have granted authorship permissions in this instance. Wiki admin agreed to do so with an eye to watch what may have happened should someone wish to sabotage entries. In this case everything I have seen done by this new author is entirely in the spirit of the community and the new wiki and should be encouraged wholeheartedly.

What 'protection' would you be looking for here over binaries and installers? Switch to PM?

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-28, 02:02 AM
No PM's please. I just wanted to know what means are in place that prevent new wiki contributors from uploading or changing previous uploads by other contributors.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-28, 02:14 AM
Exactly the same means as was employed on the 'Old Wiki'. Nothing has changed!

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-10-28, 08:01 AM
I just wanted to know what means are in place that prevent new wiki contributors from uploading or changing previous uploads by other contributors.
I keep an eye on changes made to wiki pages by all wiki editors, especially new ones. I will investigate what can be done about monitoring changes to uploaded files. TBH it's not something I've thought about, thanks for brining it up.

alibert
2010-11-08, 11:48 AM
Post below and one of the Wiki Admins will contact you regarding creating an account for the NPVR Wiki (http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/).

Thanks.

I'd like to have an account for the new wiki.

Thanks,
-alibert

McBainUK
2010-11-08, 02:55 PM
PM sent.

alibert
2010-11-09, 12:13 PM
Hi,

PM sent.

it seems that I did not receive your message - could you please try again?

Thanks,
-alibert

McBainUK
2010-11-09, 12:31 PM
PM sent, again :)

alibert
2010-11-09, 01:59 PM
That worked, thank you.

-alibert

fleapower
2010-12-16, 04:46 PM
I'm a new user, but I'll throw in my two cents.

steeb
2010-12-16, 04:52 PM
I'm a new user, but I'll throw in my two cents.

PM sent

systemshark
2010-12-17, 07:43 PM
Afternoon.... Can I get a Wiki Account ?

McBainUK
2010-12-17, 08:27 PM
Afternoon.... Can I get a Wiki Account ?
PM sent.

macgyver
2011-01-08, 05:52 PM
Hi

About time I gave something back - can I have a Wiki account?

Cheers

steeb
2011-01-08, 06:20 PM
Hi

About time I gave something back - can I have a Wiki account?

Cheers

Indeed you can :D

Sending PM

UncleJohnsBand
2011-01-25, 10:14 PM
Please give me author access and the ability to upload files to the NPVR wiki.

Thanks.

McBainUK
2011-01-25, 10:24 PM
PM sent.

bgowland
2011-03-20, 10:29 PM
I can still logon to the old gb-pvr wiki but I tried the same credentials with the new n-pvr wiki and they don't work (fair enough I suppose).

Any chance I can get access please? I'd like to move the instructions/download point for nDroid out of the forum support thread here to make it easier to maintain. Thanks.

BTW - no big rush, got plenty to work on at the moment. :eek:

Cheers,
Brian

steeb
2011-03-21, 12:17 AM
I can still logon to the old gb-pvr wiki but I tried the same credentials with the new n-pvr wiki and they don't work (fair enough I suppose).

Any chance I can get access please? I'd like to move the instructions/download point for nDroid out of the forum support thread here to make it easier to maintain. Thanks.

BTW - no big rush, got plenty to work on at the moment. :eek:

Cheers,
Brian

Hi Brian, I moved your thread with a merge into this one. Hope it worked, that's the 1st time I tried that :D

Yes NextPVR wiki requires a whole new set of credentials as it is a totally separate entity from old wiki.

PM sent re: access details.

steeb

carpeVideo
2011-03-24, 02:59 AM
Can I get access to the NPVR wiki - I'd like to move copies of the vidImport and guidePlus utilities to the NPVR section.

Thanks,

CV

McBainUK
2011-03-24, 08:43 AM
PM sent.

zehd
2011-03-24, 07:50 PM
Hey there... Could I have access to nPVR wiki with same credentials as the GB-PVR wiki? Thanks

steeb
2011-03-25, 12:20 AM
Hiya zehd, PM sent

lost@c
2011-04-03, 08:12 PM
It's been suggested that I can give something back to the forum by contributing to the Wiki. Can I have access?

Cheers
Lost@c

steeb
2011-04-03, 10:11 PM
It's been suggested that I can give something back to the forum by contributing to the Wiki. Can I have access?

Cheers
Lost@c

Indeed you can :D However for some reason I cannot set up your account. I am certain this is because of the '@' in the username. Will see what can be done......

steeb

McBainUK
2011-04-04, 05:59 AM
Simple thing is to use lostatc.

steeb
2011-04-04, 08:50 AM
Simple thing is to use lostatc.

yes verily, I did think that and should have put that in my post :D However how does lost@c feel about that? Usernames can be such personal things ;)

lost@c should you become lostatc for wiki purposes does that work for you?

cheers

steeb

McBainUK
2011-04-04, 08:55 AM
Or maybe foundonbeach :D

lost@c
2011-04-04, 07:03 PM
yes verily, I did think that and should have put that in my post :D However how does lost@c feel about that? Usernames can be such personal things ;)

lost@c should you become lostatc for wiki purposes does that work for you?

cheers

steeb
I can live with lostatc for the Wiki. I quite like foundonbeach too :)

McBainUK
2011-04-05, 07:54 AM
Account created. PM sent.

steeb
2011-04-05, 01:13 PM
Account created. PM sent.

But which account? 'lostatc' or 'foundonbeach' :D ;)

mdiscenzo
2011-04-11, 08:35 PM
I'd like an account. I've been using GBPVR and NPVR for over a year now and can help out!

steeb
2011-04-11, 10:47 PM
I'd like an account. I've been using GBPVR and NPVR for over a year now and can help out!

PM sent

mulletback
2011-04-12, 09:17 PM
Sign me up with an account, steeb. I'll stop chirping and start working.

steeb
2011-04-12, 10:19 PM
Sign me up with an account, steeb. I'll stop chirping and start working.

I like to chirp and work in equal measure :D All work and no chirp is not so much fun ;) PM sent

steeb

a_edwall
2011-08-07, 10:38 PM
I think I could make a couple of improvements to the docs for NPVR, based on the problems I have had understanding how it works and how to make it work.

steeb
2011-08-07, 10:59 PM
I think I could make a couple of improvements to the docs for NPVR, based on the problems I have had understanding how it works and how to make it work.

Super a_edwall.

Please don't make any changes to the fundamentals without asking first? Post on the documentation thread if you think anything fundamental needs changing otherwise just beaver away :D

PM coming your way very soon :cool:

very best and cheers

steeb

a_edwall
2011-09-04, 11:30 PM
I have no idea how to get into it (Wiki admin or Wiki editior) or proceed in any sort of way.

I must tell you something - I have seen other forums where you get an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you are part of. This would be grand with this forum as I really don't have the time to come back and try and figure out where I left off, with which topics or even how many topics I am part of. The lack of this feature is one reason it is hard to have continuity with NPVR.

Added note later: and yet I see back in August I WAS getting e-mails when replies were made, but not now - I don't know why (see my last comment below about forums - frsutrating when something different happens and you have no idea why. Perhaps I did not check the SUBSCRIPTION checkbox - if would be nice if this were checked by default. So I guess it's my fault. But I still say "user-hostile").

I don't think I ever saw a PM - and thus nothing ever happened.

Personally, I hate ALL forums and their software because they are all incredibly user-hostile. Please don't be offended. None of them out there have my blessing.

My ignorance is a little less now at this moment than it was when I first wrote this post.

steeb
2011-09-05, 12:45 AM
I have no idea how to get into it (Wiki admin or Wiki editior) or proceed in any sort of way.

I must tell you something - I have seen other forums where you get an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you are part of. This would be grand with this forum as I really don't have the time to come back and try and figure out where I left off, with which topics or even how many topics I am part of. The lack of this feature is one reason it is hard to have continuity with NPVR.

Added note later: and yet I see back in August I WAS getting e-mails when replies were made, but not now - I don't know why (see my last comment below about forums - frsutrating when something different happens and you have no idea why. Perhaps I did not check the SUBSCRIPTION checkbox - if would be nice if this were checked by default. So I guess it's my fault. But I still say "user-hostile").

I don't think I ever saw a PM - and thus nothing ever happened.

Personally, I hate ALL forums and their software because they are all incredibly user-hostile. Please don't be offended. None of them out there have my blessing.

I am not offended, and I am sure most of the community are not.

Now that we have cleared up the fact that I did send you a PM about the wiki authorship and you have found it can we let that rest in peace? The forum software is pretty good and you should get emails from any thread that you have subscribed to? I do?

I am in one of my nice steeb moods, and they don't happen often ;)

It would be really handy to get your input for the wiki but to be honest we got off to a shakey start :D

Very nice to get an email from you, still all electronic but emails are more personal!

very best and cheers

steeb

Greg Smith
2011-09-05, 08:05 PM
I would like an account, as well.

steeb
2011-09-05, 08:27 PM
I would like an account, as well.

Hiya Greg,

wiki accounts will not take whitespace, would you be happy with Greg_Smith? Or anything else you would like ;)

cheers

steeb

Greg Smith
2011-09-05, 09:27 PM
Greg_Smith works for me. Thanks. :)

steeb
2011-09-05, 09:59 PM
Greg_Smith works for me. Thanks. :)

Excellent, PM sent :D

cncb
2011-10-27, 01:25 PM
I would like access to add details about my plugin. Thanks.

McBainUK
2011-10-27, 03:36 PM
I would like access to add details about my plugin. Thanks.
PM sent.

whurlston
2012-01-15, 11:34 PM
I guess it's about time I requested access.

McBainUK
2012-01-16, 08:58 AM
I guess it's about time I requested access.
PM sent.

HarryH3
2012-01-23, 03:08 PM
Being in the throes of moving from GBPVR to NPVR, while migrating to new hardware, and going from XP Home to Windows 7 x64, I've run across a few places that just need some details. Fill-in-the-blanks kind of stuff and make a few changes where stuff was copied from the GBPVR wiki and still contains setup info from there that has changed with NPVR. Time to do my part! :)

McBainUK
2012-01-23, 05:52 PM
Being in the throes of moving from GBPVR to NPVR, while migrating to new hardware, and going from XP Home to Windows 7 x64, I've run across a few places that just need some details. Fill-in-the-blanks kind of stuff and make a few changes where stuff was copied from the GBPVR wiki and still contains setup info from there that has changed with NPVR. Time to do my part! :)
PM sent.

BTJustice
2012-01-23, 10:14 PM
I have a couple of guides that might be useful.

McBainUK
2012-01-23, 10:19 PM
PM sent.

McBainUK
2012-02-07, 01:44 PM
Are you having some problems with the wiki? You made some changes on Jan 25th but they didn't really work (example: Hardware.ChannelChangers).

JP23
2012-03-23, 09:18 AM
Hi,

Could I have access please? I have some remote control info to add.

steeb
2012-03-24, 12:21 AM
Hi JP23,

PM sent

jghanisco
2013-01-07, 03:09 AM
Hello, I would like to request access to input NMT remote information.

steeb
2013-01-13, 11:53 PM
Hello, I would like to request access to input NMT remote information.

Hi jghanisco, sorry for delay in replying. PM sent.

cheers

steeb

Astraeus
2013-01-18, 02:38 AM
Hi, please could I request an account on the Wiki? I'd like to add some UK specific information, some legacy hardware tips and tricks (e.g. MVP) and a few other bits and pieces which hopefully people might find useful?

McBainUK
2013-01-18, 07:15 AM
Hi, please could I request an account on the Wiki? I'd like to add some UK specific information, some legacy hardware tips and tricks (e.g. MVP) and a few other bits and pieces which hopefully people might find useful?
PM sent.

Braklet
2013-02-19, 01:57 PM
I had a Wiki edit account back in the GB-PVR days, but it no longer works. As I told Martin I'd flesh out some Wiki explanation for ImageGrabLite, may I get new credentials for the NPVR wiki? TIA.

steeb
2013-02-19, 10:54 PM
I had a Wiki edit account back in the GB-PVR days, but it no longer works. As I told Martin I'd flesh out some Wiki explanation for ImageGrabLite, may I get new credentials for the NPVR wiki? TIA.

PM sent :D

vik
2013-03-11, 11:55 PM
Hello there,
I'd like to request an account to add my Movies plugin to the wiki.
vik

McBainUK
2013-03-12, 12:20 PM
I'd like to request an account to add my Movies plugin to the wiki.
vik
PM sent

Lao Pan
2013-08-25, 05:13 AM
May I have an account to put the Channel Logos on the Wiki please?

Also which section would be better - Utilities or possibly Skins?

McBainUK
2013-08-26, 08:26 AM
May I have an account to put the Channel Logos on the Wiki please?
PM sent.

Also which section would be better - Utilities or possibly Skins?
Perhaps a "new Media" category would be better.

Lao Pan
2013-08-26, 04:37 PM
PM sent.

umm - Still nothing in the Inbox - You haven't sent it via Scotland have you? Posties are on strike today :D

ACTCMS
2013-08-26, 04:42 PM
You haven't sent it via Scotland have you? Posties are on strike today :DNot up here they aren't - I got four letters today... :)

Alex

Lao Pan
2013-08-26, 05:14 PM
Probably just the BBC whipping up unrest.

Abbadon
2014-02-14, 03:13 PM
I'd like a wiki edit account, there are some things I want to share.

McBainUK
2014-02-23, 03:21 PM
I'd like a wiki edit account, there are some things I want to share.
PM sent. Sorry for the delay - I don't frequent the forums so much as I used to.

JeffDwork
2014-03-05, 01:17 AM
Please give me access. I would like to fix up the recordings / priority / import / export sections.

steeb
2014-03-09, 10:23 PM
Please give me access. I would like to fix up the recordings / priority / import / export sections.

JeffDwork, hi there PM sent.

How the heck is everybody? ;)

I'm keeping my head down and trying to avoid the floods we've had around here. Or rather keeping my head up above water :D

How is that Scottish postal service? Is everything up-to date now?

XJW
2015-07-06, 12:54 PM
Hi, I would like to request access to add more examples to the Advanced Rules section of the wiki.

steeb
2015-07-09, 12:27 AM
Hi XJW, are you still after this or got bored because I didn't reply! I would really like for you to do this!

XJW
2015-07-09, 11:36 AM
Hi Steeb, Yes thanks. I will put in a few examples I use regularly and call on the community for their best examples. I am in no hurry.

steeb
2015-07-12, 11:46 PM
Hi Steeb, Yes thanks. I will put in a few examples I use regularly and call on the community for their best examples. I am in no hurry.

Okay could be a bit of a headache this one. I think since Mr GB changed some stuff on the website something may have broken on the wiki but not sure?! I know that I cannot log in at the moment. Will try to see what the issue is. No doubt I will find nothing to do with Mr GB at all and that I am being stupid :)

Will have another look tomorrow and keep you updated......

sub
2015-07-13, 06:01 AM
I'm travelling today, but when I reach my destination tonight, I'll try to check it out.

steeb
2015-07-15, 09:55 PM
I'm travelling today, but when I reach my destination tonight, I'll try to check it out.

Sub, any update on this? Is it because of this?

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?56514-Moving-to-new-web-host-soon

Did something break?

I think it is still nice to have a wiki going with new users who are willing to take up the wiki challenge sword (even though parts of the wiki are looking in need of updating now!)

Cheers Steeb

sub
2015-07-16, 05:44 AM
Sub, any update on this? Is it because of this?

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?56514-Moving-to-new-web-host-soon

Did something break?Yes, it will be because of this.

I think it is still nice to have a wiki going with new users who are willing to take up the wiki challenge sword (even though parts of the wiki are looking in need of updating now!)Yes, absolutely. Unfortunately it's just bad timing, while I'm out of the country on holiday, and limited time/ability to look into it right now.

Can you PM me the url and userid/password you're trying to connect with? (I can't remember my wiki password, and its scribbled on a piece of paper 11574 miles away)

steeb
2015-07-16, 10:24 PM
Yes, it will be because of this.

Yes, absolutely. Unfortunately it's just bad timing, while I'm out of the country on holiday, and limited time/ability to look into it right now.

Can you PM me the url and userid/password you're trying to connect with? (I can't remember my wiki password, and its scribbled on a piece of paper 11574 miles away)

No bad timing this end. XJW clearly states no rush. I also am in no rush, also would just be good to get it working again, in case of worthy wiki Elves!

NO way am I going to send you my userid and password then you will be able to control my life!

But I can send you the context of the problem, that doesn't need anything too complicated...... I think

cheers

steeb

ACTCMS
2015-07-16, 10:48 PM
I just logged to the wiki as an ordinary author - no problem...

Alex

Having said that, I did remember my password...

steeb
2015-07-16, 10:50 PM
I just logged to the wiki as an ordinary author - no problem...

Alex

Alex can you PM me with link? I stated I was probably being stupid!

ACTCMS
2015-07-16, 10:52 PM
I clicked on the Forum button at the top of this page, then clicked on wiki...

Alex

steeb
2015-07-16, 11:28 PM
I clicked on the Forum button at the top of this page, then clicked on wiki...

Alex

Told you I was being stupid. I went for a general url login which returned the 404 error! Didn't actually think to go through the system! Let's keep it at that. It works. sub sorted, Alex pointed the way. steeb

ACTCMS
2015-07-16, 11:30 PM
Alex pointed the way. steebDoes that mean that I get upgraded from an 'elf' to a 'Grand Visier'?

Alex

steeb
2015-07-19, 08:42 PM
Does that mean that I get upgraded from an 'elf' to a 'Grand Visier'?

Alex

Well Alex, you are definitely not an elf ;)

If thou would like to be a grand Visier then that is definitely done. But I will always see you as the Grand Master :D

BTW XJW now that Alex has sorted out my stupidity and I can stop being stupid for a little while I will get your wiki access sorted out v soon!

steeb

danorum
2015-09-12, 01:41 AM
Can you please add a wiki account for me so I can add my utility for emailing you if there is a recording conflict?

gEd
2015-10-03, 09:37 AM
My I have an account for the wiki pages please so (if I can find some free time) , I can help out by fixing the broken urls that still point to forums.gbpvr.com.
ta

gEd
2015-10-06, 09:49 PM
hello?

steeb
2015-10-06, 09:57 PM
hello?

hello gEd, I'm here ;) trying to remember my password :p

(Follow up 1) (re) membered it finally :D easy once you can rack an old brain up into Top Gear mode! But it took time.

(Follow up 2) Once you see that I have put an addendum to this post of a PM sent to you then you will be set free as your wish on the wiki! Sorry for all delays about the wiki and posts. I got dis-heartened as I wasn't sure anyone cared, and I got exhausted by my 4 year old daughter. Wow a child is exhausting! Not sure I will make it to be a grand-daddy!

(Follow up 3) Nope not tonight :-( I get an error message:

Something is stopping me even with admin account from setting you up as an editor. Think something to do with the changes sub made.... think about 97% at least but suspect probably 100%

Gonna have to hand this over to sub in the cold light of day as I think something to do with htaccess

gEd
2015-10-10, 01:26 AM
Crikey, I didn't realised that my request would be so difficult.
So should I PM Sub to request access?

steeb
2015-10-10, 10:31 PM
Crikey, I didn't realised that my request would be so difficult.
So should I PM Sub to request access?

It is both our glory moment. Well glory on the wiki. I will PM Mr GB now and see if we can resolve. If not a reminder from you would be most welcome in say 48 hours :D Steeb

sub
2015-10-11, 05:22 AM
So should I PM Sub to request access?You'd be surprised, I didn't even have a wiki account myself until about a week ago :D

I'm talking with steeb to find out how they normally create a user account, so I can look into what went wrong. I may have broken something when I manually created my account and setup it up as an admin.

steeb
2015-10-14, 10:51 PM
You'd be surprised, I didn't even have a wiki account myself until about a week ago :D

I'm talking with steeb to find out how they normally create a user account, so I can look into what went wrong. I may have broken something when I manually created my account and setup it up as an admin.

Yup as sub said, something broken, probably minor, investigation underway!

steeb
2015-10-16, 11:16 PM
Still working on it gEd. Hope to sort soon ;-)

gEd
2015-10-17, 12:12 AM
I can't remember what I was I wanted to do on the wiki now so no problem...

;-)

ACTCMS
2015-10-17, 12:26 AM
Don't worry - you'll be reminded when the time comes... :)

Alex

steeb
2015-10-17, 01:25 AM
I can't remember what I was I wanted to do on the wiki now so no problem...

;-)

Haven't laughed so much in a long time. The wiki is like that. It may come back to you, it may not ;) sub and moi still getting to root of the problem!!!

steeb
2015-10-18, 09:47 PM
gEd, haven't forgotten you. Something is seriously broken with the wiki and setting up new editors. Am in contact with sub to try and sort. It is really all down to him now .........

ACTCMS
2015-10-18, 10:05 PM
steeb - last night I made a few small changes to repair some broken links - maybe you could check out the About this Wiki page - specifically the links in Latest Patches and in Support to see if the changes have stuck...

Alex

steeb
2015-10-19, 09:57 PM
steeb - last night I made a few small changes to repair some broken links - maybe you could check out the About this Wiki page - specifically the links in Latest Patches and in Support to see if the changes have stuck...

Alex

All looks good to me Alex. I notice the link to WMP9 is no longer a valid link to MS site (under quick start/pre-requisites) ? steeb

ACTCMS
2015-10-19, 10:31 PM
I only did the top level page - no point in making wholesale changes if they didn't stick because the wiki was broken...

Alex

steeb
2015-10-20, 09:35 PM
I only did the top level page - no point in making wholesale changes if they didn't stick because the wiki was broken...AlexYes Alex, got where you are coming from! Good idea and implementation. Any fixes like that seem to be okay and will stick. It seems we only have an access error with admin! v v v best as usual steeb

danorum
2015-11-14, 08:28 PM
Are you still stuck from adding new wiki authors? I had put in a request in this thread a while back and haven't heard anything.

Dan

steeb
2015-11-15, 11:14 PM
Are you still stuck from adding new wiki authors? I had put in a request in this thread a while back and haven't heard anything.

Dan

Hi Dan, how annoying, I replied to this post many hours ago on my shiny android phone via gmail.... hmmm something definitely wrong must check that out ;)

AFAIK I left sub to look into this, but you are correct as of last time I looked. I have lost the ability to add anyone to NextPVR wiki accounts.

(sub, I think the last mail I sent went unanswered? And I 'think' it is def something that has happened since you moved servers?. And also did something that went outside of the manual?!!! By the manual I mean the wiki instructions. i.e. the 'proper' way to do things. i.e please why mess with it. Now it is causing extra work ;-) )

steeb
2015-11-15, 11:20 PM
Easiest way rather than to edit last post is to say just seen PM I drafted to sub 3 or 4 weeks ago was never sent. So how could sub answer a message that was never sent! My bad. Sure we can get this sorted.

sub
2015-11-15, 11:20 PM
sub, I think the last mail I sent went unanswered?Sorry - got busy and forgot to come back to it. I'm out the country at the moment, so not well placed to look into it right now.

And I 'think' it is def something that has happened since you moved servers?. And also did something that went outside of the manual?!!! By the manual I mean the wiki instructions. i.e. the 'proper' way to do things. i.e please why mess with it. Now it is causing extra work ;-) )I don't think it was anything to do with this. I think the problem was already there long before that (and for the record, I did following instructions for this)

steeb
2015-11-15, 11:26 PM
Sorry - got busy and forgot to come back to it. I'm out the country at the moment, so not well placed to look into it right now.

I don't think it was anything to do with this. I think the problem was already there long before that (and for the record, I did following instructions for this)

sub no worries.

we are all busy. That is good.

I may be a little unsure myself. But I had no problem creating accounts before you switched servers. And I do have it in a pm from you that you say you manually edited a config file? WHY would you do that? If you are manually editing config files for pm wiki, unless you are 100% totes sure what you were doing why would you do that? Were you 100% totes sure? Hope you off away doing something nice as well as work :0)

sub
2015-11-15, 11:43 PM
I may be a little unsure myself. But I had no problem creating accounts before you switched servers. And I do have it in a pm from you that you say you manually edited a config file? WHY would you do that? If you are manually editing config files for pm wiki, unless you are 100% totes sure what you were doing why would you do that? Were you 100% totes sure? Hope you off away doing something nice as well as work :0)I just followed instructions I found for manually adding an admin account. That went fine.

I'm sure the problem relates to the directory permissions on the on the wiki directory on the new server. I know the old server had very loose permissions on the wiki directory. I want something a bit tighter than that, but I haven't been able to find a definitive list of what permissions pmwiki needs to be fully functional.

steeb
2015-11-15, 11:50 PM
I just followed instructions I found for manually adding an admin account. That went fine.

I'm sure the problem relates to the directory permissions on the on the wiki directory on the new server. I know the old server had very loose permissions on the wiki directory. I want something a bit tighter than that, but I haven't been able to find a definitive list of what permissions pmwiki needs to be fully functional.

This isn't meant to be a competition. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this. I 100% disagree with you at the moment but am willing to be persuaded by you. Are you sure that you have added yourself as a an admin account?

sub
2015-11-16, 12:00 AM
As far as I know.

You can try again now if you want. I've restored the backup I made before changing that file.

steeb
2015-11-16, 12:04 AM
As far as I know.

You can try again now if you want. I've restored the backup I made before changing that file.

Will give it a go. But only if please, unless you are going to be a wiki hero, please please please don't fart about with it again. Before asking one of us first? Surely not the biggest ask of all time ever? It is not perfect, but this is your documented product. Please don't mess without asking, long term it just causes more work, for all of us. And of course shouty me ;-)

sub
2015-11-16, 12:08 AM
lol :D

steeb
2015-11-17, 11:33 PM
lol :D

Yay back at you the same :D

Now we have that out of the way........ ;)

The rollback does nothing for me. I now feel humble enough to bow to you and agree. This seems to be something with access permissions since the big migrate. i.e. server side related.....

I suspect there is a someone out there in the community that can fix it by editing one file?

Othwerwise not sure what to do?

Good that you locked down a load of stuff but obviously this bit locked out us wiki peeps!

Next move?

sub
2015-11-18, 12:26 AM
When I'm back in NZ in a few days I'll take another look. It's pretty hard for me to do anything about it from here.

steeb
2015-11-29, 09:25 PM
When I'm back in NZ in a few days I'll take another look. It's pretty hard for me to do anything about it from here.

Should I say 'yo yo yo' sub or 'ho ho ho' :-) Yes already in the UK we are ramping up to xmas! It seems to me every year earlier and earlier. But I am getting older and my memory is not what it was :D

I think you are back in NZ now? Either way my older years have made me more kindly and wiser and less energetic ;)

I don't think I have any further input on this other than saying that it seems to be an access permission resulting from when you moved servers? Not sure I can advise how to sort? And after years of being a wiki fascist I realise the error of my ways. It is what it is. It is really good that some peeps still want to take the time to change a few things. BUT actually do we REALLY NEED it?

Dunno, let's see what can be done and talk it though?

Thanks as usual, there will be an xmas donation coming your way from this household as we still use NextPVR every day via Kodi (well until box gave BSOD a week ago!). Hoping to rebuild the box before xmas

BrettB
2016-10-04, 01:42 PM
If you've gotten it worked out so that you can add new account for the wiki, can you create an account for me? I'd like to help out with updating/adding some entries there.

- Brett

sub
2016-10-09, 06:26 PM
If you've gotten it worked out so that you can add new account for the wiki, can you create an account for me? I'd like to help out with updating/adding some entries there.

- BrettSorry - I'd missed this post earlier. I've created your account, and will PM you the login details.

afeldspar
2016-11-13, 12:41 AM
I'd like to help with the wiki.

sub
2016-11-13, 01:31 AM
Ok, I've created a wiki account for you, and sent you a PM with your username/password.

jcole998
2016-11-13, 05:56 PM
Would like to help. Wiki is missing a lot of important info.

sub
2016-11-13, 07:51 PM
Account created. I'm PM you the login info.