PDA

View Full Version : NPVR v1.5.33 MVP loading MVPMC & Rolling Buffer

steeb
2010-10-14, 08:44 PM
I hope I chose the right thread for this :eek:

Running NPVR v1.5.33 and latest mvpmc dongle (I think latest from here:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?47877-New-beta-mvpmc-dongle-for-N-PVR&p=387766#post387766 )

Rolling buffer thing seems to come back into play, from this post I deleted the registry hack

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?47877-New-beta-mvpmc-dongle-for-N-PVR&p=390142#post390142

and previously with NPVR v1.5.31 LiveTV kept running, it is now doing the stop at 6 minute or so thing again. Should I re-implement the reg hack or have I missed something?

[Edit] Sorry forget that. Don't know why it happened at about 6 minutes. Currently running 2 x MVP's with LiveTV after rebooting them and the 1st one is well into over 10 minutes of LiveTV play [EndEdit]

[2nd Edit] No LiveTV definitely hangs at some point but does not appear to be at a regular time interval at 6 minutes odd like it was previously [EndEdit]

Cheers

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-14, 09:45 PM
Post all your logs and I'll have look.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-14, 09:51 PM
Post all your logs and I'll have look.

Martin

Dear Martin, superb,

I knew you would ask that :D

I know to only post one instance of MVP server running in NPVR, (and I've just played with 2) just about to have my supper, how many logs would you like, or just the whole bunch :)

Brilliant stuff

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-14, 09:58 PM
I know you like to ask so that is why I wrote ALL logs. If the problem is only with two machines running, I's still want them ALL.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-14, 10:16 PM
I know you like to ask so that is why I wrote ALL logs. If the problem is only with two machines running, I's still want them ALL.

Martin

Ooops, should have read this before I started again after a very nice Red Thai Curry. This did happen with only the 1 initial instance of MVP server running so maybe it will do the same again. Unfortunately I didn't read this before I reset stuff so came back (after Thai Curry) and reset NPVR instance of MVP server to 1, cleared all logs, here we go :D

23.04 my time Logs cleared about to boot MVP!

[Edit] Well that didn't work so well! Previously if I hit 'TV' on MVP remote at least it went to Live TV. This time no, backed out and went back to NPVR Main Menu. Logs from that attached [EndEdit]

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-14, 10:31 PM
That's not mvp related, it doesn't look like NRecord could capture any data. Sub might have more info.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-14, 10:34 PM
That's not mvp related, it doesn't look like NRecord could capture any data. Sub might have more info.

Martin

OK, then we'll try again. Going to reboot server anyway and see if things clear up after that (often find XP needs a tweak now and then!)

Cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-14, 10:45 PM
Understand what went wrong, I think. After new install NPVR picked up Hauppauge PVR150 as new device but haven't ever bothered configuring it with NPVR (on same server as GB-PVR) Suspect it chose that as the device to watch. Disabled now. Here we go again :D

steeb
2010-10-14, 11:13 PM
Well single MVP has been playing now well over 20 mins without halt. XP? Reboot? Will we ever know? This is looking very good now, what with playing LiveTV over 2 MVP's at the same time.

[Edit] 1 MVP well over 60 mins, no real problems, re-boot of system helped?

Going to try running up 2 x MVP's now [EndEdit]

Thank you

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-15, 02:24 AM
Took along time to do it. In this case I was running 2 x instances of MVP server but only 1 was booted into NPVR and running LiveTV

TV pic just freezes, not back to main menu etc, just frozen image like I'd pressed pause

Cheers

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-15, 03:44 AM
I don't see any specific error in what NPVR is doing, but I am pretty sure you are using the wrong dongle.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-15, 02:30 PM
I don't see any specific error in what NPVR is doing, but I am pretty sure you are using the wrong dongle.

Martin

Well I was definitely doing something wrong :D (although dongle selected to load in config.xml is dongle.npvr.bin dated 25/09/2010)

Reset MVP server instances to 1 been playing LiveTV for nearly 60 mins now no issues, apart from:

When playing LiveTV for an extended time the MVP stops responding to RC, can't stop LiveTV, only button responded to is power (is this to be expected?)

Every now and then the screen goes black for a few frames

But these are just niggles :)

Quite honestly I still think it is just brilliant to have an MVP playing LiveTV with NPVR.

Thank you so much Martin and Sub for making this possible

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-15, 04:30 PM
Regarding the lost RC that is a well know problem in GBPVR too http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?39714-MediaMVP-with-MVPMC-hangs-after-some-time that I blame on the lousy MVP hardware and sub and I have done what we can to fix it.

Blank screens could come from network problems, less than perfect signals etc. Using the mpeg muxes in GBPVR you probably would see them as as major stutter and pixelization but the end result.

Note that if you try the same test with GB-PVR 1.47, it will hang when a third show starts, GB-PVR is far from perfect.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-15, 08:31 PM

Martin

Martin, just to confirm I am going through the correct process?

Server is running both GB-PVR and N-PVR

GB-PVR is set to load: mvpmc 29_11_08.dongle.bin (this maybe something I called it to know what it is!) (There may have been a later dongle but I obviously found this gave the best results?)

N-PVR is set to load: dongle.npvr.bin (as per previous post)

All I am doing is turning off MVP

Stopping GB-PVR recording process

Starting 1 instance of MVP Server in N-PVR

Stopping N-PVR Service

Starting N-PVR Service

Turning MVP back on with RC. Not rebooting it etc. Is this where something I've done is not right? Should I have cold booted MVP back to Hauppauge dongle. Then new boot straight to npvr dongle?

Cheers for all the help :D

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-15, 08:51 PM
JonRoyle reported that NPVR doesn't use the config.xml name and only sends file name dongle.bin I don't think there is harm in overwriting it since the Hauppauge dongle that sub distributes doesn't support ts files.

You can confirm the mvpmcversion by hitting Go Back and then one of the screens (I think it is About) shows the build date.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-15, 09:19 PM
JonRoyle reported that NPVR doesn't use the config.xml name and only sends file name dongle.bin I don't think there is harm in overwriting it since the Hauppauge dongle that sub distributes doesn't support ts files.

You can confirm the mvpmcversion by hitting Go Back and then one of the screens (I think it is About) shows the build date.

Martin

Thanks Martin will pick up on this later (can't do it now as Mrs Steeb is watching TV on the PCH with GB-PVR!). However I'm not sure JonRoyle is correct. I only have one file in the N-PVR dongle folder ending in xxx.bin all others end in xxx.bin_old, xxx.bin_original etc, I would be surprised if N-PVR managed to load one of these but maybe by some miracle it is :D

And if the dongle Sub supplies does not support .ts then it must be loading the correct dongle because the LiveTV is working! (and the LiveTV buffer folder is filled with loads of .ts's because they are not auto deleting, but that is for another thread :) )

Once again many thanks for all your support, will try the 'about' mvpmc just to confirm when I get my server back ;)

thank you again

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-15, 11:58 PM
Hmmm so finally got a chance to play. What I seem to have been doing is loading the old mvpmc dongle (from previous post) as about is giving:

Sat Nov 29 03:00:43 EST 2008

So in fact have I actually just been loading the dongle I was using with GB-PVR? Seems that way! Though brilliant it worked OK with .ts

Think a full from cold reboot of the MVP may be in order.....

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-16, 12:23 AM
mvpmc has always supported the .ts mux, now the NPVR server supports it better. The changes in mvpmc are to report the proper location in the file for seeking and to change the way the OSD shows over video.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-16, 12:27 AM
mvpmc has always supported the .ts mux, now the NPVR server supports it better. The changes in mvpmc are to report the proper location in the file for seeking and to change the way the OSD shows over video.

Martin

Yes indeed Martin, I am just trying to work out the proper sequence to get this new dongle loaded from the same server running GB-PVR and N-PVR. Seems like all I've been doing is loading the old dongle but with N-PVR. Surely this means I need a cold reboot?

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-16, 12:34 AM
Yes of course, loading mvpmc hasn't changed since I wrote this in 2007 http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?24372-Loading-mvpmc&p=175416#post175416

Martin

steeb
2010-10-16, 12:50 AM
Yes of course, loading mvpmc hasn't changed since I wrote this in 2007 http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?24372-Loading-mvpmc&p=175416#post175416

Martin

Well my answer is this :D

and this: :o

Due to the slight complexities of trying to run GB-PVR and N-PVR from the same server with mvpmc dongle (and different dongles at that!) Seems like I have actually only been testing the old mvpmc dongle with N-PVR :D (No wonder things didn't seem right)

Now I realise what has been happening and how to solve (but cold reboot does appear the only option for testing?) I shall post no more on this thread and only post (on a new thread) with relevant results....

:o

Steeb

HarryH3
2010-10-16, 02:10 PM
Now I realise what has been happening and how to solve (but cold reboot does appear the only option for testing?)

Yes. The MVP keeps the current dongle loaded in memory when in standby mode (i.e. you turned it "off" using the remote). This allows it to be ready for use much quicker when switched on. The only time the MVP will search for a new dongle is when power has been removed and it has lost the dongle that had been saved in memory. If you see the blue Hauppauge MediaMVP screen at power on and the "Loading Application" message at the bottom of the screen, then it is downloading a new dongle that it has located on the network. For our purposes, the dongle that it loads is determined by the recording service that is running (GBPVR or NPVR).

steeb
2010-10-16, 07:52 PM
Yes. The MVP keeps the current dongle loaded in memory when in standby mode (i.e. you turned it "off" using the remote). This allows it to be ready for use much quicker when switched on. The only time the MVP will search for a new dongle is when power has been removed and it has lost the dongle that had been saved in memory. If you see the blue Hauppauge MediaMVP screen at power on and the "Loading Application" message at the bottom of the screen, then it is downloading a new dongle that it has located on the network. For our purposes, the dongle that it loads is determined by the recording service that is running (GBPVR or NPVR).

Yes, thanks, I did actually know all of this but somehow my tired old brain got mixed up :D

For some reason I thought as long as I was loading an mvpmc dongle (albeit a different one) I wouldn't have to go through the full power off sequence, why I thought this I have no idea :o :eek: :)

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-10-16, 08:47 PM
For the next release, sub is changing a default value which will allow mvpmc to detect if it should run in NPVR mode or not. I will be updating the dongle with instructions to do this manually later this weekend.

Martin

steeb
2010-10-16, 08:56 PM
For the next release, sub is changing a default value which will allow mvpmc to detect if it should run in NPVR mode or not. I will be updating the dongle with instructions to do this manually later this weekend.

Martin

Well this is just brilliant, once again so many thanks to you and Sub for sticking with this. Virtual beers all round on me.

Steeb