PDA

View Full Version : N-PVR v 1.5.33 & mvpmc npvr.dongle

steeb
2010-10-16, 01:09 AM
I'll try this again :D

Checked that the correct dongle was being loaded onto MVP with go go back RC command and then about mvpmc selected -

Mon Sep 20 23:15:26 EDT 2010

(Noted: during this that every now and then just with mvpmc screen up the feed will jump to black for 1/2 second to 1 seconds or so)

Boot back to N-PVR

N-PVR GUI on MVP

If Main Menu is just left, once again intermittent black screen 1/2 second to 1 second.

LiveTV black screen after about 25 secs of LiveTV for 25 frames approx (but this even happens just viewing MVP in set up mode anyway and N-PVR Menu so NOT just TV related?)

Any ideas :D

Cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-12, 07:31 PM
Got some time to play with NPVR an MVP and the dongle again. Discovered my black screen issue from the above post was actually a dodgy monitor I was using with my test MVP :o

Replaced monitor so that so issue gone :)

Martin,

I'm not sure where I should be at now with MVPMC dongle and NPVR, I have just read this thread:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48487-A-few-channel-changes-freeze-MVP

never managed to get a single channel change on my MVP.

Currently running NPVR 1.33 with all latest patches from johnsonx42's marvelous sticky

Also tried with NRecord 1.31 (should that make a difference)

have I missed something (probably :D )

cheers

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-12, 08:22 PM
From an MVP perspective .33 is your best bet, it is basically .31 with all the MVP patches. I haven't actually tested the MVP since the .31 cycle and I don't think it is high on sub's priority list either, but I am glad seeing several MVP users have accepted this is the end of the road.

At this point from my perspective you are the only one testing and I don't sense that you or other GBPVR/MVP users are close to switching to NPVR anyway but I am willing to give sub as much help as I can, once he has time.

I don't think the .31 NRecord would not be a good fit with the MVP, but you could see for yourself.

Martin

steeb
2010-11-12, 08:33 PM
From an MVP perspective .33 is your best bet, it is basically .31 with all the MVP patches. I haven't actually tested the MVP since the .31 cycle and I don't think it is high on sub's priority list either, but I am glad seeing several MVP users have accepted this is the end of the road.

Thanks Martin, is it just me hoping that this isn't the end of the road!

At this point from my perspective you are the only one testing and I don't sense that you or other GBPVR/MVP users are close to switching to NPVR anyway but I am willing to give sub as much help as I can, once he has time.

Ah I see, I didn't realise I was the only one testing. But dear Sir you would be wrong to say I wasn't close to switching, NPVR has had a full run up this afternoon, it is better than when I 1st came across GB-PVR and watched that develop, it is there now 'out of the box', perhaps a few niggles maybe but it is THERE! The only thing stopping me switching now is my MVP's!

I don't think the .31 NRecord would not be a good fit with the MVP, but you could see for yourself.

Thanks for all the input, have tried with NRecord 1.31 with no luck, back to 1.33 but think I tried that anyway with no greater success.

Thank you so much for your time on this

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-18, 02:01 AM
Martin,

should I now really consider my MVP's dead for a full NPVR experience? Ipso Facto? Seems such a shame as basic functionality was getting there. Gonna take me a long time to save funds to replace 3 x MVP's with 3 x NMT's! And then they may be defunct by then :D :eek:

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-18, 03:38 AM
You are asking the wrong person I have considered the MVP dead for video playback for 3 years.

Other than live tv (which has problems on the NMT too) what is really holding you back?

Martin

steeb
2010-11-18, 03:57 AM
You are asking the wrong person I have considered the MVP dead for video playback for 3 years.

Am I asking the wrong person? You say I am but I have had my MVP's working near faultlessly for nearly 2 years now. Hence why no complaints with GB-PVR (apart from the black screen thing in between programmes that we all knew about).

Other than live tv (which has problems on the NMT too) what is really holding you back?

Aaaarrrgggghhh NOTHING yet everything. Problems with LiveTV (on NMT not native PC), problems with explaining to Mrs Steeb why I need to replace outdated MVP's with NMT's. Full functionality on an NMT will of course stop any progress here. Frustration. I am trying to also document this stuff which makes it really hard. Have to keep turning plugins on and off etc. With Searchlite, Web Radio (yours!) System and Weather and now Alibert is back with TV Listings and the great skins being created, NPVR switch is inevitable BUT with 3 MVP's feeding kitchen/bedroom/bathrooom I cannot even begin to convince Mrs Steeb why I need 3 extra NMT's

So close but still so far :D

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-18, 04:22 AM
Steeb,

I didn't know you had problems with live tv on the NMT, so feel to free to open a post on the mvpmcx2 forum with logs, the only issue I am aware of is when live tv stops short. You are really wasting everyone's time repeating yourself about your 3 MVP's. I honestly don't care anymore. I've got three in a closet and two are missing power supplies, they are junk. MVP support is what it is, and you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. Good luck with them.

Martin

steeb
2010-11-18, 04:31 AM
Steeb,

I didn't know you had problems with live tv on the NMT, so feel to free to open a post on the mvpmcx2 forum with logs, the only issue I am aware of is when live tv stops short. You are really wasting everyone's time repeating yourself about your 3 MVP's. I honestly don't care anymore. I've got three in a closet and two are missing power supplies, they are junk. MVP support is what it is, and you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. Good luck with them.

Martin

Martin,

absolutely to everything!

There is no point in me posting my problems with NMT and LiveTV and NPVR here because I do rubbish troubleshooting (as you know) and I know others will work this out with better posts and questions than me.

I know I am wasting everyone's time with my MVP's so I will not mention that/them again, but until I can replace them I cannot move over to NPVR fully :(

I hope I can win a small amount on our lottery this weekend that will let me buy some more PCH's :D

thank you as usual for all of the support

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-18, 04:35 AM
You can't even tell me what the problem with LiveTV on the NMT is? Nothing I hate more than drive-by complaints.

Martin

steeb
2010-11-18, 04:38 AM
Oh and this is my addendum here.

I cannot understand why NPVR was not released, even in beta, with vaguely full Client support? Is that just me? This was the thing that MADE gb-pvr? No clients out of the box, for all of the brilliance and ease of set up that is npvr where were the clients?????? Feel free to delete that or move it to another thread :D

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-18, 04:48 AM
NPVR was released into beta from the beginning with NMT support and sub's position on MVP support is clear, although he did get it working well for playback of SD recording. PC client support was added in .28

Martin

steeb
2010-11-18, 04:55 AM
You can't even tell me what the problem with LiveTV on the NMT is? Nothing I hate more than drive-by complaints.

Martin

Martin, 'tis not a drive by complaint. I have not had the chance to fully run up the NMT and test it with NPVR properly. Until I knew that the MVP's were not going to work with NPVR there was no point in giving the A110 a 'full' test!

No complaint at all from me. I simply cannot switch to test my one NMT, which is in full use as our media server, in our Living Room, running GB-PVR apart from the odd occasion when Mrs Steeb decides to go out and play :D

thank you so much once again for all you have done to extend GB-PVR and all you are doing to extend NPVR!

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-18, 05:01 AM
NPVR was released into beta from the beginning with NMT support and sub's position on MVP support is clear, although he did get it working well for playback of SD recording. PC client support was added in .28

Martin

Yes all noted at the time by me. But I lived in hope (on the MVP's)! Having said that NMT support was not fully supported on 1st release (and still is not?) And PC client support was not issued 'out of the box' on 1st release but as you have said initially came with v1.28?

But I hate to be pedantic, this is NOT what I mean. I still think NPVR is superb.

Steeb

sub
2010-11-18, 05:39 AM
I cannot understand why NPVR was not released, even in beta, with vaguely full Client support? Is that just me? This was the thing that MADE gb-pvr? No clients out of the box, for all of the brilliance and ease of set up that is npvr where were the clients?????? Feel free to delete that or move it to another thread :D
It did launch with client capabilities from day one. Initally this was for the NMT only, which is the most important client. PC client support was added soon after. I made it clear from the very beginning that MVP wouldnt not be a full client device in NPVR because it was too old and too limiting. It was going to hold the project back if I designed to it's limitations. This device was a good choice 8 years ago, when every one was using standard definition analog capture devices, but that type of setup has become increasingly rare over the years. I'd say there are very very few analog only setups left. They're not even made any more.

martint123
2010-11-18, 12:32 PM
I'd say there are very very few analog only setups left. They're not even made any more.

As far as I and I guess a lot of the UK is concerned, the only way to record subscription TV (Sky) is with an analogue tuner from its RF or composite output.

sub
2010-11-18, 04:49 PM
As far as I and I guess a lot of the UK is concerned, the only way to record subscription TV (Sky) is with an analogue tuner from its RF or composite output.I'm not saying analog isnt still useful. NPVR certainly has analog capabilities. But.... the MVP was designed around old technologies from back when everything was analog, and it cant handle most of the stuff from the new digital world (which nearly everyone has in their setups these days), like transport streams, AC3, H.264, E-AC3, HE-AAC, HD MPEG2 etc. Having to build an additional program stream slipping/recording engine, just to support the MVP, just wasnt worth the effort (hundreds of hours), particularly when it would only support a very limited subset of channels available.

Jaggy
2010-11-18, 07:00 PM
:confused::confused::confused: I am totally confused now after this rave.

I still have one MVP in limited daily use having replace two others with NMT's so I have been following development on this front with interest but I don't have the time to do my own tests right now & from what I had read I thought Martin had got the MVP side of things now working on NextPVR just about as good as it did on GB-PVR for everything but live TV, is that not the case?

sub
2010-11-18, 07:19 PM
I'm not the best person to give you comments on how well it works with NPVR. I havnt tried it in the last six month. From what I read, Martin definitely improved matters with providing TS playback via mvpmcx2, but I'm not sure what issues are remaining beyond that.

mvallevand
2010-11-18, 10:35 PM
:confused::confused::confused: I am totally confused now after this rave.

I still have one MVP in limited daily use having replace two others with NMT's so I have been following development on this front with interest but I don't have the time to do my own tests right now & from what I had read I thought Martin had got the MVP side of things now working on NextPVR just about as good as it did on GB-PVR for everything but live TV, is that not the case?

Jaggy I thought so too, it begin when I askded what I needed to look into http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48257-N-PVR-v-1.5.33-amp-mvpmc-npvr.dongle&p=394857#post394857 to me that is what beta is all about.

Martin

steeb
2010-11-20, 12:17 AM
I am totally confused now after this rave.

Me too, and I think I started the rave :(

I think I managed to confuse everyone including myself with this.

SORRY :eek:

I suspect it was more of a rant than a rave as in UK a 'Rave' has a different meaning!

Of course Sub stated from the start with NPVR that MVP's would have limited capability.

Martin went out of his way to provide the best capability within NPVR for MVP support and all of my statements are based on LiveTV nothing else

From testing, the MVPMC dongle for NPVR works flawlessly with every aspect of NPVR including 1 run up of Live TV but channel changes do not work

When Martin got LiveTV working on the MVP I thought it was a natural progression that next would be channel changes etc.

What I hadn't realised is that I was honoured to have got that far to have my MVP's working with LiveTV and NPVR at all

I just need to go out and get more NMT's

Suspect the MVP is dead now if you want LiveTV and NPVR!

I cannot apologise enough for being an idiot!

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-20, 12:57 AM
I don't consider you an idiot, I just wanted to now what is missing, (after all you are the entire MVP beta team), so I can work with sub on the issues.

Here is my summary, since the LiveTV problems apply to .the NMT too (.31 was better), don't rush to buy on.

LiveTV

- Channel changes not working
- LiveTV stops streaming
- No navigation in LiveTV (I think this is only a maybe from sub)

Transcoding

- MVP doesn't transcode video using ffmpeg

Martin

steeb
2010-11-20, 01:22 AM
I don't consider you an idiot, I just wanted to now what is missing, (after all you are the entire MVP beta team), so I can work with sub on the issues.

Here is my summary, since the LiveTV problems apply to .the NMT too (.31 was better), don't rush to buy on.

LiveTV

- Channel changes not working
- LiveTV stops streaming
- No navigation in LiveTV (I think this is only a maybe from sub)

Transcoding

Martin

Dear Martin,

can't believe you're still talking to me :D But I am so glad you are!

Think we can work on this if I just behave less 'off the cuff' and humphy?

I still did not realise I was the 'entire MVP beta team', I thought there were others and as you know by now I'm not the best person to 'voice my views', make posts or troubleshoot :eek:

LiveTV

- Channel changes not working - Yes no channel change, bumps back to NPVR TV Guide Menu
- LiveTV stops streaming - Haven't had this problem since update to 1.33 methinks. Had rolling buffer implemented before, rolling buffer now gone have not noticed a stop of stream after say an hour
- No navigation in LiveTV (I think this is only a maybe from sub) - You mean skip back/pause/?

Transcoding

Didn't try this as without LiveTV this doesn't figure high on my wishlist, can try of course, once again didn't really know I was the only tester out there, I thought we were all at it!

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-20, 01:36 AM
Following logs entirely clean boot up sequence from 1 MVP and NPVR (1 x MVP)

trying that now!

[Edit] Ok that didn't work, I swear I had LiveTV working flawlessly on 1st hit the other day

Logs attached and my entries from NPVR config.xml will follow if I've got something wrong there![EndEdit]

Steeb

steeb
2010-11-20, 01:54 AM
This is how my NPVR Config is currently set, I had to disable all plugins recently which I am very miffed about so if you don't see one of yours here it is not because I wasn't playing with it last week :D

The MVP ending in ....1946 is the test MVP

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-11-20, 02:10 AM
Thanks but, for known problems I recommend being patient waiting until the next public beta of NPVR.

Martin

steeb
2010-11-20, 02:15 AM
Thank you Martin, and if I seem to rant again, just ignore me, I am like a goat in a butchers or a carrot waiting for the chop!

thank you so much for all your support

Steeb

cidc
2010-11-28, 12:19 AM
I've been using GBPVR for some 5 years now :D. Its the best thing I ever did dumping an old vcr and cable box.

The WAF factor was pretty low in to early days, however with all the hard work sub and other have put in over the years - well what can i say - GBPVR is amazing!!. WAF and children factor is always 9+

Now on to the above thread, I been following these comments for some time now.
In the UK, HD content is still not a masive thing here, unless you use decide to go with Sat or Cable.
Over the years I've used analogue > Freeview and now Freesat, because of this I think the MVP still has a strong possition over here.

I did purchase a PCH, I also have 3 MVP's. These devices are still very heavly used, using TV, Music, Photos and watching Films. I would also say they are more stable than the PCH has ever been.

I compleatly understand what steeb is saying, the move to NPVR looks very appealing but until I can find a Wife friendly way of upgrading I'm not sure if I will ever upgrade any time soon :(

Over the years I've looked at lots of different ways of distibruting media around the home, but nothing better than GBPVR + MVP. I've even converted friends over to using it!

All I wanted to say really is to steeb and others, there is still a large community out there using this old - but very robust setup.

Final thing, to move on, I guess I will have to save up my pennys - could be a long time though...

Thanks again to sub and others

Regards
Another 'Raving' brit ;)

mvallevand
2010-11-28, 12:42 AM
If you have problems with the PCH and stability please post them, I'm sure we can figure out why something isn't working out for you.

Martin

cidc
2010-11-28, 01:20 AM
Appolgies Martin for the sweeping statement about the PCH.

I / family use the PCH A110 for alot more than just GBPVR. My issues are to do with the PCH than GBPVR.

The family are educated to always press the power button after using GBPVR else odd things start to happen. We live we it.

Other than that the product is fine - not amazing like we are led to belive.

I do truely feel the day of extenders is coming to an end. My next upgrade will be not be extenders but possibly using low end atom type product.

However thats for another day, thanks again Martin for all your work also in getting the PCH to work with GBPVR.

steve

cidc
2010-11-28, 01:24 AM
Just noticed my signature - Well out of date :)

Also looks like I've been using GBPVR longer that I thought - July 2004 - wow how time flys...