PDA

View Full Version : Conformity - Analog or Analogue

steeb
2010-12-12, 12:16 AM
Dear all,

kind of reminds me of a recent debate about DVDs or DVD's :D

I'm not doing a poll :D

But trying to look at getting some conformity to words used across the doccy stuff!

Analog or Analogue?

Steeb

sub
2010-12-12, 12:20 AM
Just go with analog. Thats what I use in the app.

steeb
2010-12-12, 12:29 AM
Sorted!

thanks Sub, now if everyone could obey that rule :D

This is for wiki! If anyone tells me off for changing analogue to analog I'll just point them to this thread :D

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-12-12, 12:42 AM
Nice one - this is not just the normal UK vs US spelling thing...

The correct word for our purposes is analogue, but it's (and note the ' replacing the missing i) generally spelled analog in the US.

However, the english meaning of analog is "an object, concept or situation which in some way resembles a different situation"

stustunz
2010-12-12, 12:54 AM
if you shorten it further it would be anal

steeb
2010-12-12, 01:06 AM
if you shorten it further it would be anal

:D

I can't stop laughing, but I'm glad you said that not me :D To be honest I can't say it hadn't crossed my mind

Unless of course you are hinting that this is an anal discussion where I would have to say it is not!

Steeb

johnsonx42
2010-12-12, 01:23 AM
what if you add an "l" and space it out a little... then you get "anal log"

steeb
2010-12-12, 01:35 AM
what if you add an "l" and space it out a little... then you get "anal log"

:D again

I have no thoughts towards my perfectly well intentioned post going the way of the 'cettle' 'where is my food' spammer post from the other day! I asked a simple question, I got a simple answer from Sub :D

I would myself have said analogue, Sub says analog.

Fine by me

How does one write you say tomato I say tomato ....... tomatoe, tomato, I can sing it but not write it!

Just trying to write some stuff up for the wiki, and wondered anal log or anal logue. What is a logue?

Don't answer that :D

Steeb

johnsonx42
2010-12-12, 01:36 AM
it does seem there's a lot of confusion about those two words; Wiktionary has it the way ACTCMS described, but Merriam-Webster has it exactly the opposite, as does dictionary.reference.com. Wiktionary is exactly as trust-worthy as Wikipedia, so discounting their definition it appears "Analog" is the only spelling that can be used as an adjective as in "analog television" or "analog data".

edit: look, it's post 2147 for me... let's all breath a sigh of relief that Rush didn't have an album or song titled "2147". :D

steeb
2010-12-12, 01:45 AM
edit: look, it's post 2147 for me... let's all breath a sigh of relief that Rush didn't have an album or song titled "2147". :D

Let's :D But what with helping on the forums and your inbuilt heat seeking spam control robot finder this will soon reach a higher number that I'm sure Rush have referenced in a song somewhere?

:D

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-12-12, 02:00 AM
Should this have been posted in the common documentation forum or will it be analog in NPVR and analogue in GBPVR?

Martin

ACTCMS
2010-12-12, 02:01 AM
it does seem there's a lot of confusion about those two words; Wiktionary has it the way ACTCMS described, but Merriam-Webster has it exactly the opposite, as does dictionary.reference.com. Wiktionary is exactly as trust-worthy as Wikipedia, so discounting their definition it appears "Analog" is the only spelling that can be used as an adjective as in "analog television" or "analog data".Oxford suggests that either spelling can be used as a noun or an adjective - the only difference is that analogue is English and analog is US

edit: look, it's post 2147 for me... let's all breath a sigh of relief that Rush didn't have an album or song titled "2147". :DThey did have a song that used the word "the" though... :p

steeb
2010-12-12, 02:15 AM
Should this have been posted in the common documentation forum or will it be analog in NPVR and analogue in GBPVR?

Martin

Martin, I hope I posted this in the NPVR documentation sub forum. I'm not sure about anyone else but I will no longer be making any changes to the GBPVR documentation. That for me now is legacy stuff. :D

If 'analogue' is in GBPVR documentation long may it rest in peace. But unless Sub changes his mind....... if anyone writes analogue in NPVR documentation I may just spot it and change it to analog. Not that I would want to, I would go for analogue. But no polls! I just like conformity :D

Steeb

steeb
2010-12-12, 02:22 AM
Oxford suggests that either spelling can be used as a noun or an adjective - the only difference is that analogue is English and analog is US

Yes and though it may be naughty of me every time I write Media Centre in doccy stuff I write that not Media Center. This is why I would have thought analogue not analog. But.... I heard a quote the other day

went something like

'you think you're one of the fishes in the big pond, face it, you're not even a fish'

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-12-12, 02:31 AM
'you think you're one of the fishes in the big pond, face it, you're not even a fish'lol :D

martint123
2010-12-12, 10:16 AM
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marks four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

I feel really sorry for those that do not have English as a first language !

imilne
2010-12-12, 11:25 AM
I feel really sorry for those that do not have English as a first language !

It's bad enough for those of us who do have it as our first language :D

A few other nPVR/computer related terms: programme/program, dialogue/dialog, colour/color...

steeb
2010-12-12, 10:54 PM
Dear all,

it rears its ugly head again :D

favorite or favourite?

I would like to nail this. I thought NZ speak was UK English, so was surprised when Sub said analog not analogue.

I would have gone analogue, Sub does analog. Favorite would never have entered into my dictionary but if going with US spelling then favorite it is!

Steeb

gEd
2010-12-13, 12:15 AM
Steeb.

I think an author should stick to their own version of English and not try and write in US English as a) you won't be very good at it and b) where do you drawn the line, will you start using Z's instead of S's?

If Sub is desperate for the web page to be written in US English (I doubt it), then once the pages are done, you can get someone else to go proof read and Americanse them.

steeb
2010-12-13, 12:22 AM
Steeb.

I think an author should stick to their own version of English and not try and write in US English as a) you won't be very good at it and b) where do you drawn the line, will you start using Z's instead of S's?

If Sub is desperate for the web page to be written in US English (I doubt it), then once the pages are done, you can get someone else to go proof read and Americanse them.

Oh wise wise words. I think what unbalanced me was when Sub went for analog not analogue, since that I became all unfuddled! But it is a querysome state. Analog/analogue. Npvr/nPVR I'm just doing my best to doccy this stuff but where is the agreement :D

Steeb

imilne
2010-12-13, 12:22 AM
Actually, believe it or not, the OED considers the Z spellings as the correct version in most cases, with the S usage accepted only as an alternative. It's only in recent years that the latter became common (once all the main UK newspapers starting using it), but Z spellings are still preferred in many academic journals.

sub
2010-12-13, 12:31 AM
To be honest, I dont care about other words like favorite/favourite, color/colour etc. I've prefered 'analog' over 'analogue' pretty much forever, so thats what I'm using in the app. I wouldnt want people to assume this means that everything should be written as US english. Its one word. Here in NZ we use UK english, but using 'analog' is also very common.

Personally, I dont think the authors should get too hung up about it. Just write in whatever english you're used to.

steeb
2010-12-13, 12:39 AM
To be honest, I dont care about other words like favorite/favourite, color/colour etc. I've prefered 'analog' over 'analogue' pretty much forever, so thats what I'm using in the app. I wouldnt want people to assume this means that everything should be written as US english. Its one word. Here in NZ we use UK english, but using 'analog' is also very common.

Personally, I dont think the authors should get too hung up about it. Just write in whatever english you're used to.

Sub, dear Sir,

perhaps you are right, the simple fact this stuff gets written up in the first place is just brilliant. However considering what you write as a 'closed source application' with your own rules is good for you, how would you then justify an anarchy state, as a plausable one for documentating it?

Steeb

sub
2010-12-13, 12:40 AM
Ok - just do whatever suits. I dont have enough hours in the day to worry about this type of stuff. :D

steeb
2010-12-13, 12:42 AM
Ok - just do whatever suits. I dont have enough hours in the day to worry about this type of stuff. :D

I know, just testing ;)