PDA

View Full Version : Assistance no problem!

steeb
2011-01-03, 12:40 AM
Dear all,

guy's and gal's,

NPVR Wiki has actually tried to keep up with NPVR.

The Authors of plugins and skins rose to the occasion, and New wiki for NPVR is here:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php

it should never be a case of 'how' do I put something on the wiki.

It should be a case of 'perhaps' I could put something on the wiki?

If you would like to put something on the wiki ASK :D

Thank you and a very happy New Year

Steeb

steeb
2011-01-07, 12:12 AM
Ah ha, replying to my own thread here!

Guess it shouldn't just be about wiki but also about how documentation shifts in some way from GB-PVR to NPVR?

I do see an eventual split coming, again like it did with the wiki, between GB-PVR and NPVR on the forums, that may be some way off but at some point I do believe that the forum will need a shake up to steer towards NPVR...... But me jump the gun

All of my current thoughts are based on Buster79's comments from this thread:

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?48951-User-interface-design

(thank you Buster79 :D )

New wiki is in place.

New homepage is coming (where are you guys and Happy New Year :D )

Suggestion for now (Sub?) Could www.gbpvr.com be amended to have a banner or statement much like old wiki

http://www.gbpvr.com/pmwiki/

(no longer under development)

to point at NPVR? (Sub) Not much you would have to do, just give a nod ;) And suspect it could be done all for you like a miracle :cool:

Cheers

Steeb

steeb
2011-01-07, 02:11 AM
Ah ha, replying to my own thread AGAIN here!

I do see an eventual split coming, again like it did with the wiki, between GB-PVR and NPVR on the forums, that may be some way off but at some point I do believe that the forum will need a shake up to steer towards NPVR...... But me jump the gun

Actually not. I already see signs of difficulties shared by the same forum.

Sub? This just does not make sense :confused:

It is beginning to get so muddled now on the forum. What is the answer?

NPVR Announcements - OK that works

NPVR Support - OK that works

Documentation - At least split into GBPVR & NPVR

Community Announcements - Rubbish. Only the experienced will know what is going on here

Plugin & Skin Support the same

MVP & NMT better but needs work.

Surely I am not the only one to see these things?

If I am the only one then I think it may be time to retire and just use the software and not moan :D

cheers

Steeb

sub
2011-01-07, 02:42 AM
Ok, I'll try to update the main page when I'm back home. How far off is the new page? It might almost be worth moving to that instead.

I'm not concerned about some the old stuff being mixed in with the new stuff. For the most part the 'GBPVR Support' and 'NPVR Support' forums are getting the right posts, which is the most important thing. I'm happy to take suggestions from the community for the 'plugin and skin support' and 'community announcements' forums though, which I pretty much stay away from.

There is still people downloading GBPVR instead of NPVR because that's where the main page points. As soon as we get the new main page live, I think new GBPVR users will disappear quite quickly. I'm also considering deleting the GBPVR installer from the web site tohelp that along.

steeb
2011-01-07, 02:54 AM
Ok, I'll try to update the main page when I'm back home. How far off is the new page? It might almost be worth moving to that instead.

I'm not concerned about some the old stuff being mixed in with the new stuff. For the most part the 'GBPVR Support' and 'NPVR Support' forums are getting the right posts, which is the most important thing. I'm happy to take suggestions from the community for the 'plugin and skin support' and 'community announcements' forums though, which I pretty much stay away from.

There is still people downloading GBPVR instead of NPVR because that's where the main page points. As soon as we get the new main page live, I think new GBPVR users will disappear quite quickly. I'm also considering deleting the GBPVR installer from the web site tohelp that along.

Nice, all of that sounds tops. New home page is really only waiting for final decision of name of new app. Structure and layout pretty much there. Won't release preview to community until name a certain as this could affect design. Once name is in place guesstimate (without consulting team 1 month max)?

Plugin and Skin and Community announcements threads I think could be tweaked more friendly to NPVR? Any suggestion from community?

Steeb

sub
2011-01-07, 04:19 AM
To be honest, I dont see me deciding anytime soon, so just go with the status quo, ie "NextPVR". (we may revisit in the future)

McBainUK
2011-01-07, 12:38 PM
so just go with the status quo, ie "NextPVR".
And the short name being "NPVR"?

sub
2011-01-07, 04:51 PM
yeah, I guess so.

steeb
2011-01-09, 02:10 PM
Ok, I'll try to update the main page when I'm back home.

Sub, I think this would be a good idea as an interim measure, until the new pages are up, I have now seen a couple of posts where people didn't realise NPVR was out as they had only checked with the current main page:

http://www.gbpvr.com/

Would you like us to have a look at adding something temporary to the current page about GB-PVR being legacy and now replaced by NPVR to save you having to mess with the HTML when you have much better things to be doing :D

steeb

sub
2011-01-09, 05:47 PM
Would you like us to have a look at adding something temporary to the current page about GB-PVR being legacy and now replaced by NPVR Nah, dont worry. I'll just update the download link to point to the NPVR download thread instead of the old GBPVR one.

steeb
2011-01-09, 06:06 PM
Nah, dont worry. I'll just update the download link to point to the NPVR download thread instead of the old GBPVR one.

OK, whatever you think, but I would have thought good to also say something? What appears to have been happening is some people just look at the main page, see that current version of GB-PVR is 1.4.7 and assume nothing has changed so don't even bother looking further!

It should be fairly simple just to add a line of text to the main page something like the old wiki now has?

Notice: GB-PVR is no longer under active development and has been superseded by NextPVR. Read all about it on the forums.

New website will still be a few weeks off before going live.

Steeb

sub
2011-01-10, 03:06 AM
I've updated the website.

imilne
2011-01-10, 02:09 PM
Is it worth updating your 24th Dec post to either link to the additional files required (Directx updates etc), or to include a link to johnsonx42's support thread? Otherwise completely new users will have no idea of what else is needed and you'll get lots of support requests that could otherwise be avoided.

Jaggy
2011-01-26, 08:40 PM
it should never be a case of 'how' do I put something on the wiki.
It should be a case of 'perhaps' I could put something on the wiki?
If you would like to put something on the wiki ASK :D

Right I will take you up on your offer ;)

I have just transferred the SearchLite wiki data from the NextPVR section of the old wiki to the new wiki but it still needs the images etc. transferred & I have no idea if/how that can be done?

I am now also hoping Martin will update it to current status??

steeb
2011-01-26, 08:57 PM

I have just transferred the SearchLite wiki data from the NextPVR section of the old wiki to the new wiki but it still needs the images etc. transferred & I have no idea if/how that can be done?

Hiya Jaggy,

everything is possible with a little wiki magic :D

What exactly needs transferring, just images? Would you like us to do or just let you know how? I do hope Martin will update it to current status :)

steeb

Jaggy
2011-01-26, 09:14 PM
It was the images I was thinking of, I have no idea if the zip is the current one or not?? If you could transfer the download count as well it might be a good idea & yeah I am quite happy for you to do it ;)

steeb
2011-01-26, 09:19 PM
It was the images I was thinking of, I have no idea if the zip is the current one or not?? If you could transfer the download count as well it might be a good idea & yeah I am quite happy for you to do it ;)

OK, use the existing images from old wiki and bring over? You will notice with new wiki we have a gallery for plugins & skins on the main pages of each section that also displayes a thumbnail, which image should I use for that? The 1st one?

I don't know if the zip is the current one, perhaps Martin could check that? I will also transfer d-load count!

cheers

steeb

Jaggy
2011-01-26, 10:30 PM
To be honest I have just had a look at the images & they are for the old default skin & mine (when using default) don't look like them anyway.......so I am really starting to think we will need to wait for comment from Martin before worrying about it toooooo much.

mvallevand
2011-01-26, 11:04 PM

Jaggy, when I do an update I will update the status, probably after the next release of NEWA. I don't want the wiki for my stuff to be thought of as "my" pages and I am particularly happy you took this initiative. I still haven't fallen in love with the new Default skin fonts so I guess I have kept this image for a reference.

Martin

steeb
2011-01-26, 11:20 PM
Jaggy, when I do an update I will update the status, probably after the next release of NEWA. I don't want the wiki for my stuff to be thought of as "my" pages and I am particularly happy you took this initiative. I still haven't fallen in love with the new Default skin fonts so I guess I have kept this image for a reference.

Martin

Thanks for input Martin. If we went for images as they are now? (these can be easily changed) or new screenshots with new skin? If new screenshots Jaggy can you provide?

If we make this page totally 'live' it will mean deleting the old page on the old wiki. The 2 cannot really co-exist. Is this OK Martin? If you don't want to totally remove the page from the old wiki it can just have a link pointing to the new page on new wiki.

steeb

mvallevand
2011-01-27, 12:01 AM
New images will have the new Default/Hairy look & feel and they are included in the forum update, http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?47626-SearchLite-Plugin-for-N-PVR&p=399350#post399350 My own build is not compatible with 1.5.36 NEWA so I am reluctant to make any changes now.

Martin

Jaggy
2011-01-27, 12:32 AM
I don't want the wiki for my stuff to be thought of as "my" pages and I am particularly happy you took this initiative.

I accept the first comment partially, when it comes to pages like the NMT page they are for everyone that finds something useful/helpful to contribute, when it come to a plugin/skin page it is really only the developer(s) that can do the vast majority of the page as they are the only ones that know all the ins & outs.....

For the second part I do try to give back to the community as much as time permits.

I still haven't fallen in love with the new Default skin fonts so I guess I have kept this image for a reference.

If new screenshots Jaggy can you provide?

Actually no I can't, the new screen fonts in 1.5.36 Martin refers to above aren't part of XP (I checked in my fonts directory for them) so my display is totally different & I can't actually see what it is supposed to look like.

mvallevand
2011-01-27, 12:41 AM
contribute, when it come to a plugin/skin page it is really only the developer(s) that can do the vast majority of the page as they are the only ones that know all the ins & outs.....

For others skinners and developers maybe, but I have already stated more times than I care to count that I am not interested in maintaining wiki pages and so others are free to take tidbits from the forum and update my stuff.

Martin

Jaggy
2011-01-27, 12:46 AM
To be quite honest that is why I gave up on doing the NMT page on both the old & new wiki because I have no idea where the latest version of the files are & are going to be when updated (like a moving target), whereas if they were always uploaded to the wiki when updated I would carry on doing the page.

mvallevand
2011-01-27, 12:51 AM
NMTInstall or now NMTInstall2 are the ultimate and best source for obtaining the production version of mvpmcx2, it has been like that since 2008. I guess it is hard to get the message across.

Martin

ACTCMS
2011-01-27, 12:53 AM
Actually no I can't, the new screen fonts in 1.5.36 Martin refers to above aren't part of XP (I checked in my fonts directory for them) so my display is totally different & I can't actually see what it is supposed to look like.Hairy distributed the fonts in the original Slate post here http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?48633-Slate-Skin The link comes from post #3 of johnstonx42's sticky...

mvallevand
2011-01-27, 12:58 AM
Thanks ACTCMS, I didn't know that Hairy used special font's (sorry johnsonx42). If sub isn't going to distribute them, I guess I need to try and skin this using sub's fonts.

martin

ACTCMS
2011-01-27, 01:02 AM
AFAIK the DroidSans fonts are still being used in the new Default skin...

Jaggy
2011-01-27, 01:03 AM
I never installed to original skin so I never got the fonts that way & I missed them in the sticky, off to get them now I guess as I have given up on doing any more not appreciated wiki stuff for what will be a long while in the future...

mvallevand
2011-01-27, 01:06 AM
I can't win with the wiki, steeb comes down on me and now you Jaggy <sigh>. All I can say is I do appreciate everything you do and I really am sorry that you guys think that I have do to even more than I already do.

Martin

steeb
2011-01-27, 01:33 AM
I can't win with the wiki, steeb comes down on me and now you Jaggy <sigh>. All I can say is I do appreciate everything you do and I really am sorry that you guys think that I have do to even more than I already do.

Martin

I've been very quiet (for a change!) I've been following this thread but not logged in ;)

It was one of my New Years resolutions to not be so bullish and annoying on the forum, (like I used to be sometimes, note the 'used', my resolution is going very well so far) I'm going to keep it that way.

I think in the past I did come down rather hard on Martin, which, and only Martin can answer this, I have a feeling probably had, if anything, the totally opposite effect of what I was hoping. I'm not going to push the wiki anymore. It is there and though I say so myself, this new wiki is damn good. We learned from the old one and improved on it.

Of course, as Jaggy said plugin/skin pages can only really be properly maintained by the authors. The old 'ultra perfectionist' side of me used to get very annoyed if things were not quite right with the wiki, only because ultimately it is the place to consolidate all of the information pertaining to NextPVR. With my new more 'laid back' approach I would prefer it if things were missing entirely rather than not maintained.

This does seem a shame, the forum is great of course and it does exactly what it does extremely well, and if like me you visit once a day (apart from holidays and the occasional night out :D ) it is fairly easy (but not always totally so) to keep on top of latest developments etc.) you also get a feel for where you might find things that are hard to find ;)

However for anyone not in the 'once a day', at least 'once a week club', it gets increasingly harder to follow stuff. This is what the wiki does best, documents it, all tidily in one place where everyone can see it.

Anyway, as you all know, I am rather biased :D

Long live NextPVR
Long live the Forums
Long live the Wiki!

all the best

steeb

Jaggy
2011-01-29, 03:56 AM
I have uploaded some screen shots & the version of SearchLite that Martin pointed us to the other day onto the wiki, I have no idea what the version is as it only says version 1 when installing it, so as far as I'm concerned it should be ready to go & that's all I will be doing to it.

mvallevand
2011-01-29, 04:18 AM
I have uploaded some screen shots & the version of SearchLite that Martin pointed us to the other day onto the wiki, I have no idea what the version is as it only says version 1 when installing it, so as far as I'm concerned it should be ready to go & that's all I will be doing to it.

Thanks Jaggy, I will keep new updates there. I'm terrible remembering all the version strings I have to update, I noticed last week I had one on the Web Radio config screen that I didn't even know was there.

Martin

steeb
2011-01-31, 12:00 AM
Thanks Jaggy, I will keep new updates there. I'm terrible remembering all the version strings I have to update, I noticed last week I had one on the Web Radio config screen that I didn't even know was there.

Martin

Martin,

Jaggy has done a great job of migrating this. Are you OK for me to proceed in changing over from Searchlite reference on old wiki to the new wiki? This will mean I will transfer all the download counts over to NextPVR wiki BUT then entirely delete the existing page on the GB-PVR wiki.

cheers

steeb

mvallevand
2011-01-31, 12:48 AM
Steeb you, Jaggy and anyone else have free reign to do what you want with my stuff on the wiki. Don't worry about the d/l counts, I don't use that for anything.

Martin

steeb
2011-01-31, 01:16 AM
Steeb you, Jaggy and anyone else have free reign to do what you want with my stuff on the wiki. Don't worry about the d/l counts, I don't use that for anything.

Martin

OK Martin, done. Just WebRadio to do now :D

steeb