PDA

View Full Version : Live TV Playback stuttering, gets worse over time

PsychoPingu
2011-01-11, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I've set up NPVR on my Media Centre. Its really nice, reponsive and far easier to use than WMC.

Unfortunately, I have an issue that's stopping me from using LiveTV as frequently as I'd like. When watching channels, the audio noticably stutters - its most noticable during Ad breaks on Five on Freeview and on BBC1HD/ITV1HD on Freesat. The longer the LiveTV playback stays on a channel, the more frequent the audio stutters occur and the video begins to noticably stutter as well.

I've got Hauppauge Nova T-500 (Freeview/DVB-T) and Compro S350 (Freesat/DVB-S), processor is an AMD and graphics card is a Radeon HD3450.

I've attached the logs from my box. Please let me know if there's any more information that you need.

Thanks

NumberFive
2011-01-20, 02:29 AM
Hi,

This sounds similar to what I'm experiencing with a Nova-DT-500. I've been discussing this with sub in another thread.

BigMoose
2011-01-20, 08:57 AM
I've had the exact same thing with nPVR via UK DVB-S transmissions, but Sub fixed it in recent releases. It's possible that the fix caused problems elsewhere and has been undone? I still do get stuttering but a pause/play fixes it. I've not watched much live recently so cant say for sure if it gets worse over time or not. Recordings are fine though.

What decoders are you using?? I am using the SAF5 codec pack with ffdshow for audio (both mpeg audio and AC3 for the HD channels) but am using the MS decoder for mpeg2 and H264.

McBainUK
2011-01-20, 10:56 AM
When watching channels, the audio noticably stutters
Me too, with a single tuner Nova-T 9009 and a HD4350.

Interestingly recording the show and then watching the in progress recording results in no stutter.

BigMoose
2011-01-20, 01:03 PM
My experience is the same as McBainUK - but with a HVR-4000 and Skystar2 (DVB-S) and HD4650. But I cant state for sure if it still degrades over time, it used to, Sub fixed it, but I'm fairly sure it caused other problems so was undone... I also notice some channels are worse for stutter than others. Typically the "poorer" channels stutter worse than the likes of BBC1. I wonder if these crapper channels and the ad breaks on 5 broadcast a different audio bitrate? Cant think of any other reason why they'd be worse.

I think this is related to the "set all audio decoders to none except the one you are using" work around - but that's not very useful in the UK as we have two types of audio (mpeg and AC3). You can try disabling all audio decoders except either mpeg or AC3 and see if the stuttering stops on those channels.

sub
2011-01-20, 04:28 PM
I think this is related to the "set all audio decoders to none except the one you are using" work around - but that's not very useful in the UK as we have two types of audio (mpeg and AC3). You can try disabling all audio decoders except either mpeg or AC3 and see if the stuttering stops on those channels.Yep, try that.

Reddwarf
2011-01-20, 05:59 PM
I think this is related to the "set all audio decoders to none except the one you are using" work around - but that's not very useful in the UK as we have two types of audio (mpeg and AC3). You can try disabling all audio decoders except either mpeg or AC3 and see if the stuttering stops on those channels.

BTW: AC3Filter works fine for MPEG1 audio.

McBainUK
2011-01-21, 10:51 PM
Yep, try that.
I've set MPEG1 Audio to ffdshow and disabled all others. Initial testing found no stuttering channels :) Will I miss out on anything if I have AC3 audio disabled?

BigMoose
2011-01-23, 12:13 AM
5.1 surround sound on some HD progs on BBC HDs. Actually any sound at all on BBC 1 HD / BBC HD! Other than the narrative audio...

McBainUK
2011-01-23, 10:03 AM
No problems for me as only receive standard def Freeview here. Won't switch until 2013 I think.

NumberFive
2011-01-24, 10:01 AM
That's interesting, I have exactly the same issue as McBainUK.

RattyDAVE
2011-02-08, 08:38 PM
I have the same problem too.

This thread seems to explain (altho not the same card) http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?48921-Nova-TD-on-Windows-7/page2

And the "Fix" is to pause and unpause (is unpause a word?).. No more sound issues...

imilne
2011-02-09, 01:48 PM
There's another potential issue to this multiple audio problem that I've just come across, in that it stops Reclock from working because only one of the decoders in the graph is able to send it the audio.

In my case, if I selected nVidia for mpeg2, the audio worked, but if I also selected ac3filter for AC3, then those channels had no audio. If I picked ac3filter for both, then only one type still had audio (probably whichever one was first in the graph: I see things like "Default DirectSound Device" and "Default DirectSound Device 0004"). Other file types (mkvs, mp4s) with AC3 audio were all fine, it's just Live TV and Recordings that don't work.

Unfortunately, disabling Reclock is just *not* an option for me; NPVR has to work with it or I'm stuffed. This issue doesn't crop up with GBPVR though, so I'm wondering if it's because it allows the selection to contain "System Default" where Windows picks a decoder at graph-construction time? Perhaps that would help with these problems.

I need to do more testing though, hence why I'm just posting this here as a heads-up rather than starting a new thread on it, because it does seem to be related.

Iain

hoborg
2011-02-09, 02:11 PM
@imilne:
Are you using ReClock for LiveTV??? How this suppose to work, you speed up/slow down LiveTV? :)

RattyDAVE
2011-02-09, 04:34 PM
My DVB-S channels have not had the sound issue since I now do the "Pause then Play" trick.

My DVB-T channels have some odd echo problems about every 25 mins. Any Ideas?

HVR-4400

Video Render - EVR
Audio Render - Default

MPEG2 Video MS DTV-DVD
H.264 Video MS DTV-DVD

MPEG1 Audio MS DTV-DVD
AC3 Audio ffdshow
E-AC3 - Disabled
ACC Audio - Disabled
HE-ACC Audio - Disabled

imilne
2011-02-09, 05:10 PM
@imilne:
Are you using ReClock for LiveTV??? How this suppose to work, you speed up/slow down LiveTV? :)

Reclock does much more than just adjust audio/video synchronization. It can encode your audio to AC3 for instance. It can set the correct speaker settings based on the input, so you can send genuine two channel audio to an amp (to allow it to use Pro Logic decoding) even if the audio stream was actually 2.0 dolby digital (which many amps would just output incorrectly to the left and right speakers).

Reclock can only be enabled/disabled at the app level - ie, you either use it with NPVR or you don't. Where it really comes into play is with DVDs and other videos (eg speeding up 23.976fps content to 25fps for perfect 50hz playback), and if you want it for that, then it has to be active during Live TV too.

Reddwarf
2011-02-09, 05:15 PM
Reclock does much more than just adjust audio/video synchronization. It can encode your audio to AC3 for instance. It can set the correct speaker settings based on the input, so you can send genuine two channel audio to an amp (to allow it to use Pro Logic decoding) even if the audio stream was actually 2.0 dolby digital (which many amps would just output incorrectly to the left and right speakers).

Reclock can only be enabled/disabled at the app level - ie, you either use it with NPVR or you don't. Where it really comes into play is with DVDs and other videos (eg speeding up 23.976fps content to 25fps for perfect 50hz playback), and if you want it for that, then it has to be active during Live TV too.

Is it free? Where can I download Reclock?

imilne
2011-02-09, 05:21 PM
It's free yes, but can be a little fiddly to set up. Feel free to fire any questions my way if you want to give it a try, as I'm reasonably familiar with it these days. The forums for it can get very technical (and bogged down in arguments over audio quality that my full-of-sand ears wouldn't care about).

http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

hoborg
2011-02-09, 05:48 PM

I known what reclock do :)

Reddwarf
2011-02-09, 06:59 PM
It's free yes, but can be a little fiddly to set up. Feel free to fire any questions my way if you want to give it a try, as I'm reasonably familiar with it these days. The forums for it can get very technical (and bogged down in arguments over audio quality that my full-of-sand ears wouldn't care about).

Thanks, a lot of my movies have 5.2 audio encoded into two channels, and I hope Reclock can decode it back to 5.1 so I'll give it a try. Haven't found any other decoders that can.

hoborg
2011-02-09, 08:07 PM
Thanks, a lot of my movies have 5.2 audio encoded into two channels, and I hope Reclock can decode it back to 5.1 so I'll give it a try. Haven't found any other decoders that can.

ReClock is not decoder it is audio renderer :)

Reddwarf
2011-02-09, 08:28 PM
ReClock is not decoder it is audio renderer :)

I know that. Just an expression...

Reddwarf
2011-02-10, 09:04 AM

I'll have to ask for a little help, I installed Reclock and it works excellent on one of my testrigs, but not on the other and not on my main htpc. The testrig where is does not work has onboard "Realtec High Definition Audio", the htpc has a Soundblaster X-Fi. Anything I should be aware of?

BTW: Should I start a new thread for this?

Edit: I'm running W7 x64 on all of them.

imilne
2011-02-10, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I'd post it in general discussion and we'll take it from there...

NumberFive
2011-02-21, 10:16 AM
Has there been any progress regarding the Stuttering Audio problem when watching Live TV? I get it quite bad with both DVB-T and DVB-S programmes. Only in NPVR, not in GBPVR, and stops when you switch from Live TV to chasing playback.

shaunpatrick77
2011-03-09, 04:32 AM
Same problem for me, although this is also flagged in another thread. Any updates?

Bluetick
2011-03-14, 02:51 PM
I've updated to the last release. In live tv mode it will "stutter or hang" for 2-3 seconds but at times after playing for 20 min. it will hang for 8 seconds.
This is with a pvr-150, this setup had worked fine with 1.5.36

Thanks for your work Sub!!
Feed the programmer donate today.

dark_half
2011-04-06, 11:34 PM
I will add my name to the list of those that have problems with audio in live tv. This happens only on live tv with mpeg audio in my case. If I play live tv that is ac3 it is fine. Also, if I disable the ac3 audio decoder and only have one decoder in the graph or pause then play is all is good. However I can not leave ac3 disabled because I have a a mixture of analog and digital tuners. I have tried with ffdshow, ac3filter, Cyberlink and different combinations of each.

Pat Clark
2012-05-08, 02:12 AM
I have the problem with live TV and can add a little info perhaps. I found repeatedly that "AC3 Filter" stutters more than "MPC -MPA Decoder filter" which is acceptable. Some others listed under "AC3 Audio" do not seem to produce audio at all. All this "graph" stuff is a complete mystery to me and I can't swear they're all outputting the same audio. All channels' sound is produced.