PDA

View Full Version : Mobile

UncleJohnsBand
2012-12-08, 10:33 PM
Have you looked at the iNEWA that fjbpchristiaens created using iui (http://www.iui-js.org/) framework? Maybe he would be interested in porting over to web console as well.....

reven
2012-12-09, 12:38 AM
Looking at mvc which has mobile support. And most likely jquery mobile for frontend.

I'll check it out for the guide, that's the only thing that is tricky on mobile. Rest it's just standard divs and lists. Will reuse the jquery helpers front web console to communicate with the API

Mobile is in back burner though, started looking into it but ill add it in the beta.

UncleJohnsBand
2012-12-09, 01:08 AM
Looking at mvc which has mobile support. And most likely jquery mobile for frontend.

I'll check it out for the guide, that's the only thing that is tricky on mobile. Rest it's just standard divs and lists. Will reuse the jquery helpers front web console to communicate with the API

Mobile is in back burner though, started looking into it but ill add it in the beta.

Maybe if fjbpchristiaens was asked there could be some collaboration on an approach.........and maybe you would permit him to do it if he was willing....

reven
2012-12-09, 02:17 AM
Personally it's something I want to work on so I can learn the mobile side of mvc and learn some more of jquery mobile.
Don't mean to sound like this is a one man show, but it's still really early days and I am using this as a way to learn the new technologies.

Currently only real support I need is
Testers
Feature requests/suggestions on improvements
People to write unit tests

Once all the foundations is complete and it's more at the beta level ill seek other developers, especially around the API as that would need the community backing

UncleJohnsBand
2012-12-09, 03:33 AM
Personally it's something I want to work on so I can learn the mobile side of mvc and learn some more of jquery mobile.
Don't mean to sound like this is a one man show, but it's still really early days and I am using this as a way to learn the new technologies.

Currently only real support I need is
Testers
Feature requests/suggestions on improvements
People to write unit tests

Once all the foundations is complete and it's more at the beta level ill seek other developers, especially around the API as that would need the community backing

Sounds like the "foundation" is really the full working app then.....Correct? .

I was working today to learn how to work with Git (I use SVN) since you had indicated that you wanted this to be community based.

Are you only going to allow certain parts of the web console to be touched by developers (i.e. the API)?

reven
2012-12-09, 03:45 AM
seriously this is still alpha, can you please just wait until its a little more polished and completed before hammering on the door saying "let me in, let me in". im trying to make this so its solid and ready for prime time, buts it is still alpha, im still working on it, there hasnt been a lot of testers outside of me using it, its really not ready for others to jump in. being alpha i may drastically change something due to a requirement change, this would upset other developers who have been trying to learn it and may have started working on something else (like a mobile version) which completely breaks their code. its just not ready for other developers at the moment.

im not saying its going to be closed, im not saying developers can only touch this or this, im saying its not ready for it, and im still working on it.

if you want to help out, install, test, write some unit tests.

UncleJohnsBand
2012-12-09, 03:47 AM
<sigh>..........

reven
2012-12-09, 03:48 AM
something else i need, a silverlight or flash player that supports live streaming tv that works off the standard url

http://[server]:8866/live?channel=2

vlc is a temporary solution im hoping as i dont want to force users to have to install something that isnt standard (most people have silverlight or flash now days)

psycik
2012-12-09, 04:43 AM
ew, when most people are moving away from silverlight and flash.....

reven
2012-12-09, 05:33 AM
ew, when most people are moving away from silverlight and flash.....

people are moving away from silverlight and flash for webapps sure, but for streaming videos its still very well used (netflix, hulu, youtube). if someone figures out how to do it in html5 ill more than gladly use html5, but being a stream and not a file, dont really like your chances.

bgowland
2012-12-09, 07:13 AM
<sigh>..........

+1

fjbpchristiaens
2012-12-09, 10:34 PM
Hi,

Except for some very bold statements, it is still unclear what extra functionality would be brought to us by this new web console other than a tech revamp… For now, I just can’t imagine a normal household benefiting from a multi-user configuration, unless of course as an admin you are taping some very explicit scenes on the discovery channel and you want to hide this from the eyes of the younger family members. Personally, I am quite satisfied with the functionality, stability and continued (!) support of NPVR/NEWA…

Having said that, one should always keep an open mind towards new technology if it offers new functionality… We had to stretch the IUI framework already to offer the current functionality of iNEWA, and if we are talking of new stuff, which has actually been requested in the community like:
1. Streaming of recordings/life television/time-shift to iPhone
2. iPhone based WIFI remote control of NPVR
3. etc…

indeed one should probably look into new frameworks like jQuery Mobile… However, much also depends on the API offered on the back-end and as stated before, I could not see a lot of major break-troughs on the mobile side. If there would be, I am happy to test/help out where possible.