PDA

View Full Version : Newa and more wiki wide

steeb
2014-07-25, 10:58 PM
Dear all, with some jostling I have been looking through the wiki again tonight. I think some tweaks are needed.

I don't mind slowly doing them.

But the big one for me at the moment is NEWA?

I could be wrong so please correct me, but how do people find NEWA on the wiki?

I always seem to go through Clients/Extenders then Web? And then a note about Enhanced Web Admin and a link?

Is that so?

Am I wrong? Surely NEWA comes bundled with NextPVR these days so something should be different on the wiki?

Thanks all just thoughts.

very best

Steeb

mvallevand
2014-07-25, 11:10 PM
I could be wrong so please correct me, but how do people find NEWA on the wiki?

I find it like the other built in functions on "Using NextPVR" http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Manual.Manual in the "Web Interface"

Martin

steeb
2014-07-25, 11:16 PM
Quite honestly, having looked at this again, I think even trying to document this is absurd. From how I read it the days of NMT Clients and the Web service (NEWA) have split far enough apart to make this a very difficult issue.

Surely this shouldn't be all just on one single client configuration page in NextPVR?

Apologies for/from tired grumpy person

steeb
2014-07-25, 11:19 PM
I find it like the other built in functions on "Using NextPVR" http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Manual.Manual in the "Web Interface"

Martin

Thanks Martin, yup well I helped to write that. Doesn't mean it was easy! Or correct. Not sure what correct is anyway.....

steeb
2014-07-25, 11:23 PM
This is the only answer I seek:

Surely NEWA comes bundled with NextPVR these days?

cheers all

steeb

mvallevand
2014-07-25, 11:29 PM
It is bundled, but UJB does update it outside sub's development cycle. Last week there was an update to 2.13 as an example. Check out the Changelog.xml for more info on the versions.

Martin

steeb
2014-07-25, 11:37 PM
It is bundled, but UJB does update it outside sub's development cycle. Last week there was an update to 2.13 as an example. Check out the Changelog.xml for more info on the versions.

Martin

Thank you Martin. That was my point. It is bundled. I am just trying to inform new users how much you get with NextPVR!

steeb
2014-07-26, 11:29 PM
I am thinking of moving NEWA, NMT's (MVP's deprecated) into a client subsection on the wiki and slightly re-working the whole client experience to separate out NextPVR clients. This would also highlight XBMC? I suppose for me the difficulty lies in the fact that the Client settings page in NextPVR can come across as somewhat confusing? It could just be me? Hope to have some newbie feedback!

cheers all

steeb
2014-08-10, 12:45 AM
I do realise that not too many people are bothered by documentation but I still think someone has to do it :)

And thank you Martin for your replies as that at least steers me in a direction. Been looking again at this tonight and ideas forming.

I am fairly certain now that as I seem to be the main/only wiki admin it is probably a case of QED.

Martin thank you for all your support with the MVP's on the crossover to NextPVR but I will deprecate them now. What about the NMT's are they about to become deprecated?

I think I need to move focus for NEWA into a more prominent place on the wiki.

I believe I need to look at the whole client/extender section of the wiki to more clearly define the possibilities available to users.

Hmm big work :eek: But am working on it.

Once again if anyone would like to help!

cheers

steeb

steeb
2014-08-11, 12:19 AM
I've had another chance to look at this again. I have not had any input back but think/believe there is a load of changes needed with this wiki now.

Too many exciting changes have happened with NextPVR of late for me to make 'insignificant' tweaks by myself without help from the community. And no-one from the community has offered to date on a thread that is already tiring in age.

Historically, I think, the GBPVR wiki became a bit messy towards the end of the GBPVR days. Because, because, because.

In these still working days of NextPVR (I don't see end of life cycle yet?) I think I would like to work on the wiki (in my 'how did I get here' role as what seems to be sole admin.) BUT if no-one is bothered that I put my time into doing this work my time may be better spent working out how to

1) turn this into a Nas4Free NAS: https://www.lacie.com/uk/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10157

2) help this little person become a responsible human being far wiser and more clever than me:

steeb
2014-09-05, 12:01 AM
OK. Still a user of NextPVR but I am dipping out of bothering with the wiki.

Reasons:

1) Daughter as above.

2) No-one even bothered posting on this thread

3) sub did really well supporting this

BUT NextPVR seems to work so well through the Forum that no-one really needs a wiki.

It was a long journey getting the NextPVR wiki up and running.

It was a long journey for sub too (I think) getting NextPVR up and running?!

I am the only admin on this wiki now. Unless McBainUK returns!

But it has become obvious that no-one needs this wiki anymore.

You'll find it on the Forums.

I will leave everything as it stands but don't ask me for access etc.

It was always a wiki anyway! And I don't think sub liked it but tolerated it!

Bored this end :D

Lao Pan
2014-09-08, 05:10 PM
Hi Steeb

Just battled my way past all the Tumbleweed on this thread to let you know you are not alone ;)

I have noticed in the last couple of months that the whole forum has taken a large dip in the number of posts (being posted) - don't know if it is because of the Holiday Season here in the Northern Hemisphere, the locking down and price increases of the Cable Networks in North America - I know my Brother has dumped cable and gone the FTA + Netfiix route - or the fact that NPVR has become pretty reliable.

Couple of Points
The WIKI is probably of greatest value to the New NPVR users, although most of the new users appear to be wanting to use it for a backend for XBMC or a Smart TV - Personally I can't see why.
Also when Windows finally decides to chuck its hand in, it has been quite useful to see what I did many years ago installing NPVR - yes it is that reliable.
It is also the repository of all the Plugins and Utilities (and Media :D) so shouldn't be left to die completely.

As an occasional WIKI contributor I must say it was rather daunting (still is) to start a new page etc. Pity it couldn't be made a bit more intuitive perhaps more peepes would contribute.

sub
2014-09-08, 05:48 PM
I have noticed in the last couple of months that the whole forum has taken a large dip in the number of posts (being posted) - don't know if it is because of the Holiday Season here in the Northern Hemisphere, the locking down and price increases of the Cable Networks in North America - I know my Brother has dumped cable and gone the FTA + Netfiix route - or the fact that NPVR has become pretty reliable.It's been longer than the last couple of months. There has been a fairly steady drop off in forum activity for the last couple of years. I think these days most people are bypassing TV tuners, and just watching streaming video. There are a lot of options available for people these days.

sub
2014-09-08, 05:54 PM
It was always a wiki anyway! And I don't think sub liked it but tolerated it!Not true - I do like it, and I'm glad it exists, and appreciate all the hard work that you and others have put into creating it. I'm sure a lot of people spend some time looking up stuff on the wiki...I know I do occasionally.

mvallevand
2014-09-08, 10:53 PM
OK. Still a user of NextPVR but I am dipping out of bothering with the wiki.

2) No-one even bothered posting on this thread

I did. I just deleted your wiki thread from the x-newa forum feel free to undelete
it if you change your time about the wiki.

Martin

steeb
2014-09-13, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the support those that posted :D

@ Lao Pan Yup it is daunting trying to improve this wiki. I fought tooth and nail for a different wiki backend when sub created NextPVR. Don't get me wrong only fought tooth and nail with wiki people, not sub etc!

What we've got is what we've got. It isn't bad and I think I have done my best to try to encourage new blood in. But relatively no uptake.

It is also the repository of all the Plugins and Utilities (and Media ) so shouldn't be left to die completely.

Of course, as posted above, it is still the wiki for NextPVR, I am certainly not leaving it to die :D

steeb
2014-09-13, 12:49 AM
I did. I just deleted your wiki thread from the x-newa forum feel free to undelete
it if you change your time about the wiki.

Martin

Time or mind ;)