PDA

View Full Version : updated build (26th Nov)

sub
2016-11-25, 08:58 PM
I've updated the nlite build at http://www.nextpvr.com/nlite-win32.zip.

- moved from RGB to YUV to reduce CPU usage.
- added experimental "-gpu" command line parameter for using dxva2 hardware acceleration during playback.

Any feedback much appreciated.

sdf
2016-11-26, 07:33 AM
Tried right now.
It's the perfect client. Channel change lightning fast, no lags whatsoever, all the errors that made NPVR (client) unusable in my config have gone away.
The -gpu parameter leads to crash, but I've tried vlc and it's a vlc problem. It seems that with Intel GPU dxva 2.0 makes crash vlc.
Anyway, it could be useful to recall some vlc parameters, like deinterlacing for example (for the pal world bob deinterlacing is important).
Tried not so long, but noticed that switching to fullscreen causes problems. Screen freezes (going fullscreen), and sometimes going back windowed works, some other leads to crash.
Anyway a really really good project.
Tell me if there's something else to test.
Thank you,
sdf

sub
2016-11-26, 08:48 AM
Great - glad it's working well for you! Thanks for checking it out.

Yes, Intel GPU doesn't seem to like dxva2.

It's currently doing 'blend' deinterlacing, but I can easily switch it to 'bob'.

Yes, there is some known issues with resizing while video is playing. Still trying to work out exactly why this happens.

sdf
2016-11-26, 11:19 AM
Maybe it could be useful to switch deinterlacing it on the fly, as you can do with vlc. I tell you that because there are certain channels that are progressive (720p 50, like Rsi), and don't need deinterlacing at all.
Anyway will try to test with different pc to see if -gpu parameter is working.
Thank you,
sdf

Graham
2016-11-26, 11:25 AM
Yes, Intel GPU doesn't seem to like dxva2.

Recording playback and Live TV are okay sometimes and crash other times. Logs attached.

May I respectfully suggest a sticky post that always contains the latest version. I tripped and fell at my first install attempt a few days ago. Found a later version hidden in the midst of a thread.

ga_mueller
2016-11-26, 05:15 PM
So far as I can see this works wonderfully. Have not had crashing problems, great channel changes, and the guide now loads very quickly. One thing that doesn't run is the Movies plugin... should it? It loads, brings up the play dialog, and nothing happens... .

sub
2016-11-26, 05:31 PM
Recording playback and Live TV are okay sometimes and crash other times. Logs attached.Was this only with the -gpu parameter?

May I respectfully suggest a sticky post that always contains the latest version. I tripped and fell at my first install attempt a few days ago. Found a later version hidden in the midst of a thread.I'll add a sticky post to keep track of it in next few days.

sub
2016-11-26, 05:41 PM
So far as I can see this works wonderfully. Have not had crashing problems, great channel changes, and the guide now loads very quickly.Great.

One thing that doesn't run is the Movies plugin... should it? It loads, brings up the play dialog, and nothing happens... .It should work, as long it's not doing anything non standard. I just gave it a quick check, and it seems to be working ok.

What file type was the movie you tried? mp4, mkv, something else?

Is this happening on ever movie you try?

Graham
2016-11-26, 06:00 PM
Was this only with the -gpu parameter?

Works fine without -gpu ... logs attached.

And in other trivial news ... the Exit in the menu does nothing.

mvallevand
2016-11-26, 06:07 PM
And in other trivial news ... the Exit in the menu does nothing.

For web client it is not trivial. Not sure if nlite supports it but there is a config.xml to have FakeExit turned false which tells a web client to exit. This default is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

Martin

ga_mueller
2016-11-26, 07:00 PM
Great.

It should work, as long it's not doing anything non standard. I just gave it a quick check, and it seems to be working ok.

What file type was the movie you tried? mp4, mkv, something else?

Is this happening on ever movie you try?

I've tried to play an .avi and a .mkv in the attached logs.

Thanks for checking it out!

Graham
2016-11-26, 07:17 PM
... the attached logs.

With thanks to Martin ... you can create logs for nlite.exe itself with "nlite 1>1-log.txt 2>2-log.txt" which will redirect the lines from the console window (command prompt window) to files.

lost@c
2016-11-26, 08:05 PM
I'm just not able to make this work... I get the main NPVR screen which I can navigate but when I select a recording from the recordings screen when I select Play, it just stays on that screen. I press escape once and I can't navigate that screen, a second press of escape will then allow me to navigate again. It's a bit like it's "playing" but that that screen is not then displayed. (A single "esc" would Stop, another "esc" would then return me to the menu.) Logs attached. Also is this something I could run on my Pi? I much prefer to have the native NPVR than Kodi.

sub
2016-11-26, 08:55 PM
I'm just not able to make this work... I get the main NPVR screen which I can navigate but when I select a recording from the recordings screen when I select Play, it just stays on that screen. I press escape once and I can't navigate that screen, a second press of escape will then allow me to navigate again. [ It's a bit like it's "playing" but that that screen is not then displayed. (A single "esc" would Stop, another "esc" would then return me to the menu.) Logs attached.Do you have 3.9.2 installed? I know you could get this behaviour with previous version of NextPVR, and the look of a URL in those logs makes me think that's the case for you.

Also is this something I could run on my Pi? I much prefer to have the native NPVR than Kodi.You can compile and run it in Linux, but the VLC based player is not well suited to use on a slower RPi type device. Fred was working on a similiar type of client, but using omxplayer instead of VLC, which is really what you need on a RPi.

sub
2016-11-26, 08:59 PM
I've tried to play an .avi and a .mkv in the attached logs.

Thanks for checking it out!The webserver, which is responsible for streaming to nlite, can't access the share you're trying to play the file from:

2016-11-26 10:53:57.273 [DEBUG][19] File cannot be found: \\Bevtoms\l\Movies-TV-Downloads\Movies\A History of Violence (2005)\A History of Violence.avi

ie, you'd find the Movies plugin is working if you try streaming from a local file, or fix the share permissions.

ga_mueller
2016-11-26, 09:50 PM
The webserver, which is responsible for streaming to nlite, can't access the share you're trying to play the file from:

ie, you'd find the Movies plugin is working if you try streaming from a local file, or fix the share permissions.

Interesting. I installed nlite on the system which runs NextPVR and Movies without issue, and saw the same error, share cannot be accessed.

sub
2016-11-26, 09:59 PM
Interesting. I installed nlite on the system which runs NextPVR and Movies without issue, and saw the same error, share cannot be accessed.Remember, when you run NextPVR.exe under your desktop session, it's running as you. When you access it via nlite, it's talking to the recording service, which runs as a different user account ("localsystem"). In this case, you'll find the localsystem account is unable to access your network share.

mvallevand
2016-11-26, 10:21 PM
Also is this something I could run on my Pi? I much prefer to have the native NPVR than Kodi.

Even after nlite is ready for full htpc use I don't anticipate a significant performance difference with Kodi and x-newa web client, when you have pvr.nextpvr disabled. The advantage to Kodi comes primarily from having remote and keyboard support CEC integration audio and video configuration etc, plus the advantages of Librelec making the install pretty straight forward.

Martin

BrettB
2016-11-26, 11:42 PM
Also is this something I could run on my Pi? I much prefer to have the native NPVR than Kodi.

Even after nlite is ready for full htpc use I don't anticipate a significant performance difference with Kodi and x-newa web client, when you have pvr.nextpvr disabled. The advantage to Kodi comes primarily from having remote and keyboard support CEC integration audio and video configuration etc, plus the advantages of Librelec making the install pretty straight forward.

lost@c: Just in case you don't already know it, when you use x-newa in web client mode, you get the exact same NPVR user interface. You can even configure Kodi to go directly into the x-newa web client when you start it up if you want. And, as Martin says, the Librelec installation does make it quite easy to setup and configure. I use this setup on an RPi 3 client as my primary media source multiple hours every day, and it really does work quite well.

ga_mueller
2016-11-27, 01:17 AM
Remember, when you run NextPVR.exe under your desktop session, it's running as you. When you access it via nlite, it's talking to the recording service, which runs as a different user account ("localsystem"). In this case, you'll find the localsystem account is unable to access your network share.

"Uncle". Gave every permission under the sun and still could give the Nextpvr machine's localsystem access to the shared drive. (Win7 32bit Home Premium both machines). Another thing I noticed is that navigation in Movies is very slow, and often you can have a particular movie highlighted, when the previous selections info is displayed... see attached. I have ~ 600 movies FWIW. Everything else in nlite is instant fast.

ACTCMS
2016-11-27, 01:37 AM
Maybe try running NRecord under your user account...

Alex

sub
2016-11-27, 01:49 AM
"Uncle". Gave every permission under the sun and still could give the Nextpvr machine's localsystem access to the shared drive. (Win7 32bit Home Premium both machines).Try what he said above, change the recording service to run as your account, or maybe as the 'NETWORK SERVICE' account.

Another thing I noticed is that navigation in Movies is very slow
Everything else in nlite is instant fast.It was fast on my machine. If I had to guess, maybe Movies takes a bit of time to verify if a file exists, timing out accessing the network share? I don't know.

lost@c
2016-11-27, 04:00 AM
Do you have 3.9.2 installed? I know you could get this behaviour with previous version of NextPVR, and the look of a URL in those logs makes me think that's the case for you.

That would be a "No". Have now and it's better although trying to go full screen makes the image freeze. I'll carry on playing to see if I can get it consistant.

lost@c
2016-11-27, 04:02 AM
lost@c: Just in case you don't already know it, when you use x-newa in web client mode, you get the exact same NPVR user interface. You can even configure Kodi to go directly into the x-newa web client when you start it up if you want. And, as Martin says, the Librelec installation does make it quite easy to setup and configure. I use this setup on an RPi 3 client as my primary media source multiple hours every day, and it really does work quite well.

Yeah I already run it like that but just trying to make it even simpler. Was more of just a thought really. :)

sub
2016-11-27, 04:19 AM
That would be a "No". Have now and it's better although trying to go full screen makes the image freeze. I'll carry on playing to see if I can get it consistant.Yep, moving/resizing the window while video is playing, causing the video to freeze, was a known issue. I've fixed this today (but haven't posted this new version yet).

mvallevand
2016-11-27, 10:02 PM
I've updated the nlite build at http://www.nextpvr.com/nlite-win32.zip.

- moved from RGB to YUV to reduce CPU usage.
- added experimental "-gpu" command line parameter for using dxva2 hardware acceleration during playback.

Any feedback much appreciated.

I tried today with the -gpu option and it crashes about 50% of the time but when it plays my CPU use for NLite goes down by almost 50%. Continuing fromr here http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?58727-NLite-windows-build&p=508342#post508342 would be just over 9% if this is working.

Martin

sub
2016-11-27, 10:10 PM
The gpu support in libvlc seems quite flakey. I see crashes here too. I see the same crashes in VLC when I enable it there. It may work better with some video chipsets than others.

The other change from RGB to YUV helped reduce the CPU usage by quite a bit here. The CPU usage in nlite is still a bit higher than VLC, but better than it was. I just need to work out what VLC does that makes it lower still. In theory would should be able to get about the same CPU usage.

ga_mueller
2016-11-27, 10:40 PM
Maybe try running NRecord under your user account...

Alex

That did the trick, thanks! Still pretty laggy running through the menus, though (only for Movies).

mvallevand
2016-11-28, 01:43 AM
The gpu support in libvlc seems quite flakey. I see crashes here too. I see the same crashes in VLC when I enable it there. It may work better with some video chipsets than others.

The other change from RGB to YUV helped reduce the CPU usage by quite a bit here. The CPU usage in nlite is still a bit higher than VLC, but better than it was. I just need to work out what VLC does that makes it lower still. In theory would should be able to get about the same CPU usage.

That improvement is interesting, I was wondering recently if you could send the PNG screens as YUV somehow to see if that improved rendering speed at all on low end machines.

Martin

sub
2016-11-28, 02:56 AM
Most decoders work in YUV, so it made sense to limit the work done for each frame of video, since they're occurring continuously, and so many pixels.

lost@c
2016-12-07, 05:51 PM
Yep, moving/resizing the window while video is playing, causing the video to freeze, was a known issue. I've fixed this today (but haven't posted this new version yet).
This seems to be working well now. I'm really liking NLite. It's making me think about how I might do my next upgrade. Next trick will be to try it on some "lesser" hardware.