PDA

View Full Version : Androi testing community testing help requested

mvallevand
2017-12-18, 12:03 AM
Hi, I am considering writing an Android client or Android web client for NextPVR but before I spend too much time I thought I'd reach out to the community to see how well the built in Android h/w media player libraries work on various Android devices that you might be using.

To start off I have built a demo application that should autodetect your NextPVR server and show a list of channels for live tv playback. This application is based on Googles ExoPlayer demo and doesn't really do much more than that, although it allow there is a list of other file formats for capability testing.

To access my dev Android apk go http://xnewa.netai.net/ and download demo-noExtensions-debug.apk.tmp or download it directly http://xnewa.netai.net/demo-noExtensions-debug.apk.tmp Sorry I had to call it .tmp because my web host doesn't like apk files. If you access the web page in Chrome on your Android device you should be able to download the tmp file and with appropriate setting changes to load an unknown source directly install it.

So far I have tested on several devices

1. Lenovo tablet Mediatek MT6165 h264 and mpeg2 video, and ac3 and mpeg2 audio. This was a pleasant surprise because it doesn't work with Kodi.
2. Moto G3 phone has h264 and mpeg2 video but now ac3 or mpeg2 audio
2. Samsung A5 phone has h264 video but no mpeg2 video and no ac3 or mpeg2 audio
4. Amlogic S905x Android box great h264 and mpeg2 video, and for ac3 and mpeg2 audio.
5. Amazon FTV1 h264 and mpeg2 video. No mpeg2 audio, ac3 passthrough only.
6. Xiaomi Mi Box h264 and mpeg2 video, and ac3 and mpeg2 audio

I might be able to add support for ac3 and mpeg2 audio but mpeg2 video support will be a challenge.

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. I am especially interested in things like 1080i playback mpeg2 video and AAC audio which I don't have here.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-18, 04:55 AM
I downloaded and installed the apk on a Nexus 5 phone. ExoPlayer ran and populated the screen. However there was nothing in the NexPVR list when expanded. There were other lists that were populated like YouTubeDASH, Widevine DASH:MP4.H264 etc...

I was able to access the NPVR server with the modern web client, stream live TV and videos using the Chrome web browser, from this device.

mvallevand
2017-12-18, 12:40 PM
Did you have wifi enabled? It Des not work over a data connection? Also the NextPVR Discovery port 16891 needs to be open for UDP.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-19, 12:07 AM
Did you have wifi enabled?
Wifi is enabled.

It Des not work over a data connection?
This phone used to have a data plan but I'm just using it with wifi only.

Also the NextPVR Discovery port 16891 needs to be open for UDP.
I did not have port 16891 open so opened port 16891 for UDP and TCP in the router and tried again (after rebooting router) with the same results. Also tried a rooted Samsung Tab A with android 6.0.1 and it does not populate the NexPVR tab of ExoPlayer either.

Sorry, not much help.

jimbojones
2017-12-19, 03:02 AM
Tested on lg g4 all stock,

installed fine ,npvr and channels appeared straight away , all channels are mpeg2 whether hd or not, only thing that would work was ac3 audio on one hd channel, hope this is of use,

cheers james

mvallevand
2017-12-19, 03:20 AM
Thanks for testing. If you feel like testing more if you could see your way to getting me your Android ligcat file I might see what is going on. The only other thing I could see going wrong would be in the channel list from the NextPVR web server at http://server IP:server port/channels

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-19, 04:24 PM
"http://myserver:8866/channels" reported back with this message.

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<rsp stat="fail"><err code="8" msg="Invalid Session"/></rsp>"

mvallevand
2017-12-19, 06:31 PM
"http://myserver:8866/channels" reported back with this message.

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<rsp stat="fail"><err code="8" msg="Invalid Session"/></rsp>"

To me that would suggest that your local wifi LAN is using a public IP web.log would probably help debug this if you feel that is not the case.

If i develop this further I would support remote security but that will come much later on.

Martin

mvallevand
2017-12-19, 06:38 PM
Tested on lg g4 all stock,

installed fine ,npvr and channels appeared straight away , all channels are mpeg2 whether hd or not, only thing that would work was ac3 audio on one hd channel, hope this is of use,

cheers james

Thanks James it helps confirm my belief that phones are not great target clients. I expect tablets and Android/AndroidTV boxes will work out better.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-20, 12:26 AM
To me that would suggest that your local wifi LAN is using a public IP web.log would probably help debug this if you feel that is not the case.
I was outside my LAN as you suspected.

So, I tried the link when I got home and this time I got a web page with a player control. Here is a screenshot.

I captured the Web.log file after restarting the web server and then trying the channels link. I'm still searching for the android ligcat file. Do you know where to look for it?

mvallevand
2017-12-20, 02:19 AM
I was outside my LAN as you suspected.

So, I tried the link when I got home and this time I got a web page with a player control. Here is a screenshot.

I captured the Web.log file after restarting the web server and then trying the channels link. I'm still searching for the android ligcat file. Do you know where to look for it?

From a browser that is good, logcat is typically accessed via free apps from the Play store assuming you don't have the Andoid adb debugging tools installed.

Martin

sub
2017-12-20, 03:17 AM
I do have a Android client that was semi-done, but I haven't found time to get back to it and finish it off. It operated on a transcoded stream, in the same way as the web app and iOS app.

Excuse the bad video - I was trying to fend off an over excited kitten while making it.

https://youtu.be/VbhVQ_MxYLw

mvallevand
2017-12-20, 04:10 AM
Here is the logcat file after running ExoPlayer. This is from my Samsing Tab A (SM-P550).

How did you create that file? I looks like a binary ELF file to me.

Marti

VCR58
2017-12-20, 04:59 AM
Ok, so "logcat" is a debugging tool for apps. I thought it was an android log file you could look at.

mvallevand
2017-12-20, 12:32 PM
Ok, so "logcat" is a debugging tool for apps. I thought it was an android log file you could look at.

logcat can output the Android system messages to a file. The error messages and some other info I placed in Exoplayer should be included in those messages.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-20, 12:48 PM
logcat can output the Android system messages to a file.

Ok, here is the output of aLogcat after running ExoPlayer.

mvallevand
2017-12-20, 01:54 PM
Ok, here is the output of aLogcat after running ExoPlayer.

Thanks. If you exit the app and start again does it work, those logs show you connecting before wifi was started. That could also be an Android issue that I need to deal with.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-20, 03:28 PM
Thanks. If you exit the app and start again does it work, those logs show you connecting before wifi was started. That could also be an Android issue that I need to deal with.
I'm pretty sure that wifi was already enabled when I ran it but I'll try it again tonight to be sure.

VCR58
2017-12-20, 11:25 PM
Made sure wifi was on and ran exoplayer. Here is the output from aLogcat.

mvallevand
2017-12-21, 02:24 PM
Made sure wifi was on and ran exoplayer. Here is the output from aLogcat.

Sorry the error that I am seeing is the same I get if ExoPlayer can't find the NextPVR server on UDP 16891 it is finding the right subnet so I can't explain it with the level of Android knowledge I have. Thanks for the help.

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-22, 03:30 AM
Sorry the error that I am seeing is the same I get if ExoPlayer can't find the NextPVR server on UDP 16891 it is finding the right subnet so I can't explain it with the level of Android knowledge I have. Thanks for the help.
I found the problem, I had to create a firewall rule for port 16891 as well.

So, now I get the channel list and when I tap on the channel I get a message that says "Media includes video/audio tracks, but none are playable on this device." When I click on the Video tab I see that "Default" has a radio button checked and below that "1920x1080, id:4/3666, video/mpeg2" is grayed out and cannot be selected. All the channels are similar to this. All three devices I tried do the same thing basically.

mvallevand
2017-12-22, 04:13 AM
I found the problem, I had to create a firewall rule for port 16891 as well.

So, now I get the channel list and when I tap on the channel I get a message that says "Media includes video/audio tracks, but none are playable on this device." When I click on the Video tab I see that "Default" has a radio button checked and below that "1920x1080, id:4/3666, video/mpeg2" is grayed out and cannot be selected. All the channels are similar to this. All three devices I tried do the same thing basically.

Glad you stuck with it to bad the results aren't great. I now can software decode audio with ExoPlayer but supporting mpeg2 video with software decoding is going to be a problem. It does explain why many Kodi users have to turn off deinterlacing, because they are already stressed with software decoding. It reall shows the need for a solution like sub's using server side transcoding. I am looking at finding devices that don't stress the server so hard so I can have multiple clients, comskip, resume and hopefully one day live tv timeshift without Kodi. Hopefully others can take the time to test other classes of devices.

You mentioned the Nexus 5 and Tab A, what is the third device?

Martin

VCR58
2017-12-22, 04:55 AM
You mentioned the Nexus 5 and Tab A, what is the third device?
Nexus 5X

BrettB
2017-12-22, 08:19 AM
I am looking at finding devices that don't stress the server so hard so I can have multiple clients, comskip, resume and hopefully one day live tv timeshift without Kodi.:)

mvallevand
2018-01-26, 10:35 PM
Since this testing initiative generated little support (much like fred250's testing for a RPi client) I will assume the NextPVR users are happy with Kodi clients.

Thanks to those that did help.

Martin

BrettB
2018-01-27, 05:18 AM
Since this testing initiative generated little support (much like fred250's testing for a RPi client) I will assume the NextPVR users are happy with Kodi clients.

Hey, Martin. I didn't respond to this initiative since I don't currently have an Android device to test. But I would definitely be interested in an client alternative to X-NEWA in Kodi on an RPi. For the most part that setup works pretty well for me. But honestly, I really only use Kodi for X-NEWA. So the idea of a more dedicated client with better hardware is appealing.

mvallevand
2018-01-27, 09:47 PM
BrettB it is appealing to me too and my post was not intended to shout out anyone. The challenge remains finding the right.hardware for the future. Web client is still slow compared to the NMT mode so I need more horses then the RPi has. I was hoping to find out user experience on some other newer units especially Amlogic TV boxes. Also the Shield TV seems to be a great prospect even if it pricy since it meets all my criteria. 4k, UHD Netflix and Amazon Prime but I don't want to buy one for a NextPVR client just for myself.

Martin

BrettB
2018-01-27, 10:38 PM
BrettB it is appealing to me too and my post was not intended to shout out anyone. The challenge remains finding the right.hardware for the future. Web client is still slow compared to the NMT mode so I need more horses then the RPi has. I was hoping to find out user experience on some other newer units especially Amlogic TV boxes. Also the Shield TV seems to be a great prospect even if it pricy since it meets all my criteria. 4k, UHD Netflix and Amazon Prime but I don't want to buy one for a NextPVR client just for myself.

Yes. I agree. The web client is "usable" on the RPi, but as you say is not the speediest or most feature-rich (4K, etc.). And I think that many of us would be willing to purchase whatever hardware would work best as a client. (We still see reports of people actively using NMTs. And if mine hadn't died I likely would be, too.) So I think that it is very safe to say that if you made an "updated NMT-type" client, it would not be just for yourself!