PDA

View Full Version : Saving Recording Info

jerry430
2005-07-30, 02:17 PM
I seem to periodically lose my recording info, though the video files are saved in the Video Library. It happened last month when I tried to install a plugin, and last week when I did a Checkdisk.
Is there some way that I can periodically manually save the EPG recording info to another file, so that I can copy it back to GBPVR when I lose it?

Jeff
2005-07-30, 03:44 PM
I don;t see how installing a plug-in could cause you to loose recording info. In any event, there are plug-ins that save this info so they will have it even if GBPVR deletes the info from its database. The Video Archive plug-in does and I think XRecord and My Videos do as well.

Jeff

jorm
2005-07-30, 05:32 PM
I have seen gbpvr pop open an install box and deletes the contents of the database. Xrecord has a executable that comes with it called xexport that you can add to postprocessing.bat and it will export a dat file with the epg data after the recording is done.

Or in xrecord if you hit stop you can export all.

soccerdad
2005-07-31, 01:39 AM
FYI, when GBPVR does its auto install (when you don't want it to, usually after installing or changing some plugins), I found that it saves the original GBPVR.mdb file as "old" It doesn't just overwrite it. To get your recording listings back, rename the "old" file to "GBPVR" and you should get your listings back.

jerry430
2005-08-02, 02:22 AM
I renamed the old & GBPVR.mdb files as suggested by Soccerdad but was still unable to get the old program info that was lost. So I installed XRECORD. I think I may have installed or configured it incorrectly. When I click on the "Dl image" buttons, I get the message "Error:The underlying connection was closed:The remote name could not be resolved". None of the other buttons on the CONTL-S screen do anything. I'm curious as to where videos are supposed to be exported to when you click EXPORT ALL, the Movies & Videos files? It does nothing now.
My only reason for installing XRECORD was to have a way of retrieving info on recordings that I lose periodically.
TIA

jorm
2005-08-02, 12:13 PM
export all exports epg for each show to a .dat

reefboy
2005-08-05, 05:53 PM
I had the same problem the other night. I installed the latest version of My Pictures. When I went into the GBPVR config file it did it's auto start thing and wiped out my database. I thought I did something wrong or ran the config file before I should have.

The last backup I had was over 2 weeks old so things are a mess now although not a complete loss.

I was wondering if others have done a batch file to run each night to backup the gbpvr.mdb file to another location so that you can always roll back to an evening before? Can the gbpvr.mdb be copied while gbpvr is running? Or is there another easy way to have a backup done every day of the gbpvr.mdb file?

thanks!

reefboy
2005-08-08, 06:32 AM
Using system scheduler and creating my own *.bat file, I now have a new backup each night for my gbpvr.mdb file. Never again will I have a bunch of "failed" recordings going back two weeks or more! Or at least not as many! Worst case would be however many programs were recorded since the night before or the last back up. Well Actually it would be easy to increase the number of times it is backed up with system scheduler..

If you are interested I can post my *.bat file.

jerry430
2005-08-09, 07:51 PM
Reefboy
Please post your.bat file. I see sub is releasing a new version of GBPVR. I'd like to be sure I can hold on to my recording info if I install the latest version.

reefboy
2005-08-10, 03:46 AM
I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing this... but this worked for me. I saved the following as copy.bat in the root c:\ drive and used system scheduler to execute it every night at 3:00 am. You could easily expand from here if you want redundancy.
So the following will first delete your backup from the night before and then copy your current gbpvr.mdb from it's native directory to the root c directory.

del c:\gbpvr.mdb
cd C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr
copy gbpvr.mdb c:\

jerry430
2005-08-11, 08:57 PM
Thanks Reefboy. I'll give it a try.