NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Do you DVD2MPEG?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well if you have noticed there are a host of new movies out that you obviously own and want to backup or make into MPEG for MVP usage. I can tell you at least Hitch, Lords of Dogtown and Batman Begins have new copy protection on them. The latest DVDDecrypter, setup properly, will backup and convert Hitch just fine. But then comes the next two, nothing works... or at least nothing that seems to be used by the majority of us........ until now...

I found a cool, free program that has command line options, it looks like it will work, I have not fully tested it yet.. But I intend to.. Once I do, I will post information here... If you are interested in doing it yourself, b/c I'm just slow about getting things done, get DVDFabDecrypter from http://www.dvdidle.com.

Of course I must say, only BACKUP or DVD2MPEG DVDs you own.. Don't steal movies. Big Grin

JC
I have read that people were able to copy batman begins with dvd shrink.
For every wall that's built higher, there's a longer ladder...
I dont understand the point of these added securities anyway they will expect everyone to upgrade to blue ray eventually. And buy all new disks. So unless they dont give us recorders people will find a way.
Networker Wrote:I found a cool, free program that has command line options, it looks like it will work, I have not fully tested it yet.. But I intend to.. Once I do, I will post information here... If you are interested in doing it yourself, b/c I'm just slow about getting things done, get DVDFabDecrypter from http://www.dvdidle.com.

Of course I must say, only BACKUP or DVD2MPEG DVDs you own.. Don't steal movies. Big Grin

JC
Thanks, I will give it a try. I don't own anything new enough to be protected that I know of. I know I did put all 3 lord of the rings movies on with DVD2MPEG. A new tool is always usefull. I like to 'archive' movies for vacation, get rid of the extra crap when in the car, plus if they get lost/stolen, I have the originals.
Exactly... they do waste money on the modded protection schemes.. But I guess they figure MOST people will be stopped... but as I always say, it's only technology and I won't be beat down Smile

JC
have you read the spec on blueray? That will be more challenging to hack. Nothing is impossible though.

It requires a constant internet connection to verify the disk.
Dynamic changing on encryption algorithms in case one gets hacked.
being able to kill your player if it detects a pirated blue ray dvd.

I have been rooting for HD-DVD. But really I dont care which ones. I will just get HBO all the shows end up there eventually encryption free. Smile

I will use the media to store the mpegs and gbpvr/xrecord to play them.

I will not buy any High Def DVD if they have PUO (Protected user operations) on them. Sorry you cant fast forward you have to watch the fbi warning.
BTW, regarding DVDFabDecrypter... I have had this for a while (originally found it on videohelp.com) and while I prefer DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter, something worth knowing about DVDFAB is it will read damaged disks.

(well, within reason, obviously)

I have had damaged disks* that shrink / dvddecrypter wouldn't read, but DVDFAB worked fine - took quite a long time as I recall, but certainly worth knowing in future.

*Optical Disks + 2yr old boy = I won't be buying HD-DVD or Blu-Ray!
Yeah I saw something on that today in their forum. It seems it repaces it with a black sector. Problem is if you have a lot of bad spots it could be noticable. But that is nice!

I too prefer Shink and Decrypter, but w/ DVDDecrypter no long in dev, got to have something else.

Re: HD-DVD, How do they expect a non PC player to have Inet access to do that? Someone will find a way, they always do!
I guess wireless. But not sure. They will find a way.

is dvdfab freeware?
Pages: 1 2