NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Off-air HDTV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey eveybody, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I was wondering if anybody here has had experience getting HDTV channels on a normal tv tunar card such as the hauppauge-250. Is this even possible?! I know my no-HDTV can view hdtv at 480i, from when I used to have cable with an HDTV receiver. But I'm not sure if it works the same with a tv tuner card. Anybody got any ideas? I guess if I need to I'd buy a hdtv card, but since I don't even have an hdtv and am just looking for better sound and better picture, even at 480i its much better picture... i'd like to try it this way. Thanks for your help!
Quote:I was wondering if anybody here has had experience getting HDTV channels on a normal tv tunar card such as the hauppauge-250. Is this even possible?!
No its not possible.
Hauppague used to make a digital TV card that would receive HDTV and down-convert it to SD. The card had an S-video output that you could feed into your standard TV. It worked pretty well (I have one) but it isn't supported by GB-PVR (or any other pvr package that I know of). I recently picked up a Fusion5 Lite HDTV card and it works well with GB-PVR but unless you have an HDTV you're limited to watching the recorded shows on your computer. I must say, they look really nice on my 20" Dell flat panel display. I'm lobbying Santa for an HDTV for Christmas...Big Grin