NextPVR Forums

Full Version: What I have
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
P4 3.0 Prescott
1 gig OCZ pc3500
MSI Neo2 Mobo
maxtor 300 gb HD
Audigy Gamer Soundcard

I want to swap my main computer (above) for a 64 bit AMD system for my gaming and transfer the above into a smaller case for my Entertainment center. I may just end up using the processor, ram and harddrive in a small mATX case.

Can anyone tell me a good card to run with this GB PVR software that would allow me to use the HTPC as a Tivo and a DVD player? I am pretty sure that with the capture card the system should be almost complete. Any and ALL help is appreciated.
If all you need is an analog tuner, the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 should do the trick for you. You could also consider going for the WinTV PVR 500 MCE version (which features dual tuners so you can record two channels at the same time), but that doesn't come with a remote so you'll need to get that separately.
Will you be recording stuff from a cable/satellite box? Then you will need an ir blaster to let gbpvr change channels on the box for you. The pvr-150 has one built-in that works with some (many?) boxes. Otherwise you can buy an usb-uirt, which many people use.
We are not using digital yet simply because our TV is not. We dont have the digital box hooked up but I am sure we will in the future. Either that or we will go with Direct TV or something else.

I dont think that recording 2 channels at the same time is even needed. Usually it would be used if we are watching one thing and missing another or we were not home and wanted to record it.

I do have an ATI All in Wonder card... Will that work with what I am doing? I am pretty sure I can hook the cable up to it as well. I just want to be sure to have a card that will do the work instead of a processor. Would I still be better with the above mentioned cards? btw, the AIW card I mentioned has a remote with it as well.
Manoe Wrote:I dont think that recording 2 channels at the same time is even needed. Usually it would be used if we are watching one thing and missing another or we were not home and wanted to record it.
Yeah.. at first, that's the way I thought I'd be using it too.. But just wait until you realize all the wonders of not having to watch live tv. No more sitting through commercials, no more "damn, I missed the first five minutes", no more frustration when the phone rings in the middle of your favourite show.. You'll want another tuner sooner or later.. Wink
Manoe Wrote:I do have an ATI All in Wonder card... Will that work with what I am doing? I am pretty sure I can hook the cable up to it as well.
I'm not sure, but I have the gut feeling that GBPVR doesn't support the AIW cards.. but someone else may have to correct me on this... Try to search for it on the forum.
So what card would you all recommend for me to use that would have the built in encoding and remote. The remote can be separate, I just need to know which works with this program.
Manoe Wrote:So what card would you all recommend for me to use that would have the built in encoding and remote. The remote can be separate, I just need to know which works with this program.
It kind of depends on how much money you are willing to spend I guess. If money isn't a big problem then I would probably go for a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 500 with an MCE kit. The budget option would be to try to use your AIW remote with a WinTV PVR 150 MCE. But I'd probably spend the extra bucks on a proper WinTV PVR 150 (not the MCE version) - that way you don't have to worry about the remote not working.
If I just get the PVR 500 will I still be able to view the desktop of the computer and regular Computer functions on the TV? I am trying to figure out the best setup.

If I go with the 150 card will I notice a performance hit with not having the encoder on the card? Is that required with this software?
if you hook up your computer via the tv out of your graphic card, you see everything which would be on the monitor.
the hauppauge pvr-cards do not have output jacks, just input. the only exception ist the pvr-350 which has an onboard mpeg2-decoder. although this takes away almost any load from the processor, i would not recommend it.
many user had reported problems when using the hardware decoder of the 350 and this way you would not be able to see your desktop on the tv.

err... no encoder on the 150? the pvr-150? all hauppauge pvr-X50-cards have an mpeg2 encoder! but, yes. the hardware encoder takes a lot of work away from the cpu. this is very noticable on elderly machines like mine.
So why would I need to get the 500 over the 150? If they both have encoders I dont see the point. I doubt that I will ever record 2 shows at one time like I said before.

So do I want to run the cable through the 150 and use the AIW card to feed it to the TV? I guess I just need to build the darn thing to see what exactly I can and cant do and go from there.

Do all of you run the TV from the onboard video if these tuner cards do not have outputs?
Pages: 1 2