NextPVR Forums

Full Version: TV Guide on MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Live and recorded TV looks great on both of my TV's using 2 MVP's and GBPVR. My only issue is the TV Guide. The Guide is crystal clear on my computer monitor by almost unreadable on the TV's. The text is no longer crisp. Is there a solution to this or is it 'just the way it is'? All of GBPVR's menus are fuzzy too but because they use a larger font then the Guide they are not as bad. Because of the readability issue with the TV Guide I have not rolled this out to the family yet. Any help will be appreciated...
What connecter are you using to connect your MVP to your television? If your TV has a S-Video in, it is well worth the 10 or so dollars it would cost you to purchase a s-video cable. In addition to making the text crisper and more clear, it also drastically reduces flicker within the menu screens. Also, what skin are you using as the background color/picture can also greatly hinder readibility on the television?
I am not using the S-Video connector. I will give it a try tonight, my TV does have S-Video inputs.

I am still using the default Blue skin. I wanted to get everything working before I muddied the water by adding in all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for your reply,
-- Don
Did the S-video fix this issue? I have the same issue of real fuzzy TV Guide and hard to read teh menu's are good though.
Why would power-cycling the MVP make any difference in the color or fonts, especially doing it more than once?

I can understand it if you've changed the dongle but otherwise how would it make any difference?
Sometimes un-ticking Clear Type under Properties>Appearance>Effects can do the trick. It worked for me when I had a CRT as it changed very little on the monitor. When I switched to an LCD I went back to ClearType, but MVP seemed fine!

I can't explain why it worked, but give it a try.
Try setting your MPV screen size to 720 and 480 in config.xml.
I found that my Sony has several video scaling modes used to fit (or overscan) the video depending on the signal / resolution received.
If the MPV resolution in config.xml is too low, the TV expands the display and the GBPVR menu looks blurry.
I couldn’t use the position utility at all because IIRC it wanted to start at 640x480 or some resolution that caused my TV to scale the input.
Start at 720x480 0- 0 and slowly reduced the resolution in config.xml, restarting the MPV each time (power button off/on) to check the results.

The settings I ended up using.
Code:
<MVPWidth>664</MVPWidth>
      <MVPHeight>460</MVPHeight>
      <MVPOffsetX>28</MVPOffsetX>
      <MVPOffsetY>6</MVPOffsetY>
zed Wrote:Why would power-cycling the MVP make any difference in the color or fonts, especially doing it more than once?

I can understand it if you've changed the dongle but otherwise how would it make any difference?

No idea, but I've had my text go fuzzy, then without changing anything else a power-cycle fixed it. It was almost like there was another copy of the text slightly offset from the original that made it look bad. Resetting the thing took care of it for some reason.
bungle Wrote:No idea, but I've had my text go fuzzy, then without changing anything else a power-cycle fixed it. It was almost like there was another copy of the text slightly offset from the original that made it look bad. Resetting the thing took care of it for some reason.

I found that my MPV would overheat and get fuzzy when it was laying flat. Standing it on end with plenty of cooling space around it (and a lttle airflow)cured the problem.