NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Newbee TV card advice!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the market for a TV card/s for my new media centre.

Ideally I would like a dual tuner or two separate tuners.

Here's where I'm stuck.......I want the ability to watch and record freeview as well as SKY (I'm in the UK). Does gbpvr support both analogue and digital at the same time? If it does (I think from reading other posts, that it does!) how does the EPG work and what cards should I be looking at?

I 'm guessing that SKY and its EPG is only accessable through a single dedicated channel???????

Clearly I'm a complete novice so any advice would be great!

I'm also looking out for a really quiet PSU (400W+) .....any recommendations.
Cheers
Yes it does, I would suggest the hauppauge pvr 150 and the nova-t. The pvr150 for sky side and the nova-t for the freeview dvb-t side. You set the epg for each card so obviously there will be some cross over such as sky three , E4 etc are both on sky and freeview. So when you go to view or record these channels it will use either card. The hauppauge has an ir blaster which will more than liekly change channels on your skys set top box to the correct channel and save you having to change channels manually. On the quiet psu front look at the seasonic range they have a good following.
Thanks Herbs for the quick reply !
I've just bought a 350W Qtechnology from Quiet PC along with a Zalman cooler.

All I can hear now are the Seagate & Western Digital hd's which aren't too bad but they will need quieting or replacing before they annoy me Smile
I didn't want to go off thread but as Clanky mentioned hard drives......

I'm considering a WD or Seagate Sata (250GB+), cant afford both to find out which is quietest so which would be your first choice?
I run both WD & Seagate & neither is particularly quiet, theres always a whine coming from them & my hearing is not brilliant..

Quietpc recommend Samsung hd's & they seem to be a reasonable price

Theres a review here
Seagate have a good rep for quietness, watch out on some of the samsungs as they changed the motor on some of the 120GBs which make them noisy. Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for more info.