NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Generic PCI Tuner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased a generic PCI TV Tuner from CompUSA (SKU: 333088).

It claims to be a Conexant 23880 chipset which I have read is the same chip that is used in the Hauppauge line of cards. I noticed that a lot of the Hauppauge cards (WinTV line) are in the default compatibility list.

Does GB-PVR support this card? Can I choose one of the Hauppauge cards to get it to work? I have VirtualDUB working just fine with it, and it comes with a piece of software called WinTV3 (which I'm already not impressed with).

If anyone who knows the chips and what GB-PVR means when a card is in the list of compatible cards, would you please give me a hand.

Thank you for your time.
RDB
I just found a post on this forum that may answer my previous question.

If I may change my question slightly:

What is specific about these cards that are in the compatibility list? Is it the chipset they use? Is it something else about the card that it supports that some other card does not?

I would still like to try and choose a named card for my generic, but I'm not sure what I should expect if I do. If its just chipset, then choosing a compatible card should be fine correct?

Thanks
RDB
GB-PVR is designed for specific MPEG2 hardware encoder cards (Hauppauge PVR150 etc). These cards connect their Directshow filters a specific way. If yours connects in the same general layout, then you may be able to get it to work by editing the direct.ini file and copying one of the existing card definitions and replacing the names with those that are appropriate for you card. If it doesnt connect the same way, then it wont work with GB-PVR.
This card doesn't have hardware encoding.
If it doesnt have hardware encoding, you wont be able to use it.
That is excellent information. My questions are satisfied.

My thanks for the time you both spent in your replies.

Ciao
RDB
sub Wrote:If it doesnt have hardware encoding, you wont be able to use it.

Well, not out of the box. Check the Software Recorder plugin to see if it can work there.

Greg
ggee Wrote:Well, not out of the box. Check the Software Recorder plugin to see if it can work there.

Greg
Yes, but I get tired of saying that. I do most of the time, but some times I just cant be arsed.