NextPVR Forums

Full Version: digital card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is there a digital card that will record the digital channels on cable (usa)
is there a card that can use a cable card
(or is there anything that is coming out soon )
No, I dont think there is, well...not via BDA drivers. I'm sure we'll see one soon, but I'm also guessing it wont be able view encrypted channels, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be. You may find that your cable provider encrypts all channels - simply because they can.
sub Wrote:No, I dont think there is, well...not via BDA drivers. I'm sure we'll see one soon, but I'm also guessing it wont be able view encrypted channels, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be. You may find that your cable provider encrypts all channels - simply because they can.
Well i am hoping that a cable card will get around the encryption
b/c i am sure they encrypt everything

they had people arrested / serverd with search warants by the FBI for uncapping their modems a few years ago

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002No...017460.htm
The software that comes with the Fusion HDTV cards can 'see' the digital channels (QAM) on cable and display & record the non-encrypted stuff. However, the software is pretty buggy and often doesn't work as advertised. There's a couple huge threads about it on the AVS forum. On my cable (Cox) all the digital stuff is encrypted except the locals but even then they only carry one sub-channel even tho some of the stations broadcast multiples (for instance the local PBS broadcasts 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3 but Cox carries only the 8.2 sub which is the one they broadcast in analog OTA). I think the FCC requires the cable co's to carry the local digitals in the clear but that's it. I doubt any software will be able to handle encrypted channels. Even with cable cards you need the key supplied by the cable co. AFAIK, GB-PVR handles only ATSC, not QAM, so you can't use it to record off cable even is it's not encrypted.
Quote:The software that comes with the Fusion HDTV cards can 'see' the digital channels (QAM) on cable and display & record the non-encrypted stuff.
Thats why I added the "well...not via BDA drivers" comment above.

Quote:AFAIK, GB-PVR handles only ATSC, not QAM, so you can't use it to record off cable even is it's not encrypted.
In theory it should also cope with QAM, but it needs the functionality to be exposed by the BDA drivers, which it isnt by any current card's drivers. The fusion app uses some private API for tuning QAM.