NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Problem with MVP decoding FFMpeg Transcode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm having problems transcoding using the new FFMpeg feature. The transcoding seems to work, but the quality when played back on my MVP is poor. The output is very blocky, like the bitrate is very low.

I can play the transcoded file on my PC and the quality/bitrate is ok. Playing back the transcoded file manually in the MVP produces poor quality as well.

My own recorded mpg files work fine on the mvp, it's just the FFMpeg files that the MVP has trouble with. Any ideas?
The default are reasonably low so that most users machines will be able to keep up, but you can easily adjust them to anything you'd like by editing the following settings in config.xml:

Code:
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400 -s 352x288 -vcodec mpeg2video "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>
  <MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400 -s 352x240 -vcodec mpeg2video "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>
sub Wrote:The default are reasonably low so that most users machines will be able to keep up, but you can easily adjust them to anything you'd like by editing the following settings in config.xml:

Code:
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400 -s 352x288 -vcodec mpeg2video "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>
  <MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400 -s 352x240 -vcodec mpeg2video "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>

Sorry to be a little bit slow... the first release (09514?) using FFmpeg to transcode for MVP worked fine for me (I was amazed; fantastic work sub btw), the second didn't work so well (crashed), and now the most current (09516) is somewhere inbetween (transcodes, but out of sync and video stutter).

Am I correct in understanding that reducing the b value above will improve this?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:Sorry to be a little bit slow... the first release (09514?) using FFmpeg to transcode for MVP worked fine for me (I was amazed; fantastic work sub btw), the second didn't work so well (crashed), and now the most current (09516) is somewhere inbetween (transcodes, but out of sync and video stutter).

Am I correct in understanding that reducing the b value above will improve this?
The only thing that changed between these versions was the version of ffmpeg that GB-PVR installed. I was struggling to find a version that would work for transcoding and for the PSP and for the MVP.

If you're primarily interested in playback on the MVP, it may be worth grabbing the v0.4.9-pre1 release from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...p_id=16082

Just drop the ffmpeg.exe into the "C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Third Party\FFmpeg" directory.
Thanks sub. Oh, I'll have another donation on the way when I replenish my paypal account this weekend. Thank you for:

- GBPVR: I am not exaggerating when I say that you have transformed the way my family and I use and enjoy our media.

- The support: Both in the forum and on a one-on-one basis. Sometimes I don't know where you get your patience from with all of us grasping little gimme-monkeys Wink.

Have a great (and well earned) break!
Thanks - you're welcome.
sub Wrote:The default are reasonably low so that most users machines will be able to keep up, but you can easily adjust them to anything you'd like by editing the following settings in config.xml:

Code:

The actual file the transcoding produces is good quality. But the MVP seems to have trouble decoding it as it creates a very blocky output. This also happens when you read the file, whilst transcoding is not taking place(thus eliminating processor util issues). It must have something to do with the format of the .mpg file created by the transcode as my PC plays the file fine. I've tried changing a few settings in ffmpeg but to no avail.
sub Wrote:If you're primarily interested in playback on the MVP, it may be worth grabbing the v0.4.9-pre1 release from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...p_id=16082

Just drop the ffmpeg.exe into the "C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Third Party\FFmpeg" directory.

I found only the source at that page, however there's a download for a compiled binary at http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=ffmpeg
Haven't tried it yet, but the one that comes with version 0.95.16 (I went straight to that one) crashes after 10 second playback on the MVP.
Actually, not really a crash, but the playback just "stops"

Sub, which logs are being used here? Still the trans2MVP.log files?
Just to provide an update, Lilyoda is correct - the original link is to the source files that need compiling; I grabbed the ffmpeg.exe from the videohelp link above.

I also changed the bitrate in the config.xml to 2000 and increased the preplay delay to 7000 and (touch wood) everything worked perfectly and the quality was perfectly acceptable (which surprised me - 2000 bitrate is way low).

But, I was able to watch 3 hours of divx files last night, including a 90min movie, without any problems*.

*Disclaimer: this is gonna depend on the source file; I should imagine sports, action, fast-moving stuff is going to artifact.

Hope this helps.
2000 bitrate for a 352x240 video ain't that low...

Sub, does that also mean that FFMpeg resizes the video to 352*240 before converting if to mpeg2? Sorry if that sounds silly, I'm really new with ffmpeg
Pages: 1 2 3